“beautiful resort”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“beautiful resort”
Reviewed February 16, 2005

Spent two weeks at this beautiful resort Jan.29 - Feb. 12th. Weather was not great which is not the fault of the Riu. Lots of rain and the hotel is not constructed for rainy weather. There was water pouring out of light fixtures and 2 inches of water in the hallways. Beware of the seafood. 3 of our party of 4 became violently ill and spent 2 days in their rooms. We are beach people and you cannot swim in the ocean in front of the Riu which was a big disappointment. The pools are excellent - lots of lounges available. Bring earplugs unless you don't mind the banging doors. The beds are very comfortable. Service was good. There is actually too many service personnel in and out of rooms. One day, while recuperating from ? food poisoning, I answered the door 4 times to staff checking that the room was made up, checking the mini bar, changing batteries in the electronic door opener and someone bringing more bath towels - we already had 6!!. Overall, we enjoyed our trip but probably wouldn't return to Los Cabos - too cool in the a.m. and evening. Bring long pants and sweathers to wear after the sun goes down.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,570)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 16, 2005

We went to Rui Feb 05th-12th. The resort is stunning and great attention to detail! The veiw is amazing with Lands End and the cruise ships (atleast 2 a day) coming in. The staff was amazing and they tried really hard. Some things to iron out which I'm sure they will is the local taxi drivers want all the business to and front the airport and when we left we had to get off the bus at the gate and get into taxi's. This did not disrupt us too much. Some of the people we went with were a little unhappy with the inconsistant room claening. Again this will change as the staff gets trained. We went into town one day and some of us took a catamaran and they really enjoyed it we walked the board walk and really enjoyed the sights and shopping! They are expanding the workout room already as the demand was high. If you are a pciky eater the buffet has everything you want have to worry. Staff is overworked at dinner some nights but they try. Heard the golf was great as many golf couses The Haven right across the street. The men they had done some golfing as weather was cool enough in mornings to do so. Natives cannot control the weather! Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2005

Flew to Cabo on Feb.7 for 1 week. There were 12 adults all from the Edmonton area. The Hotel is absolutley beautiful. We had a suite with a jaccuzi which was beyond belief. The rest of the group had junior suites which were also very beautiful. The pools were warm and enough lounge chairs for everyone. You are never long without a drink. You can either go up to the bar or there are enough waiters coming around that you can order from them. Sometimes you didn't get what you ordered but they would quickly remedy the problem. Waiters were very friendly. The food was also very good. There were so many choices at the buffet that no one should have been hungry. We only ate at the Steak House and the Japanese restaurants. It was good but the buffet had more choices. Also everything was very clean. I can only say that the beds are very hard. If you can you should stop at Costco or Wal Mart and buy a foamy. I will definitely recommend this resort to my family and friends and we will go back in the future.

• Stayed February 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2005

Just returned from the RIU, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
For being so new (opened in Dec. 2004) everything was up and running and the staff knew what they were doing. Management is concerned about your stay and we were personally asked several times and our room was called to ensure that we had everything we needed and that we didn't have any problems. If you have any special requests, just ask and they will ablige if at all possible.
The food was fabulous and was always available.
Sadly the weather didn't cooperate and we only had 1 really nice day for the week we were there, but nothing could be done about that. One of the large pool areas is heated to the temperature of very warm bath water and we enjoyed this on the coolest and rainy day of our stay. The pool areas were large, numerous and well maintained.
As we were informed prior to our travel, the nights generally cool down a lot so you really need to take sweaters or jackets for the evening to be comfortable.
There is lots to see and do in the area.
The week we were there the crowd seemed a little on the older side but there was an influx of younger people (30's) 2 days prior to our departure.
The staff were all very sweet and amicable. They do have a kids program which does entice families to this resort but the presence of children was never overwhelming to those of us who didn't thave them with us. The grounds and pools are laid out to accommodate everyone's tastes.
When the weather was bad the resort moved things from open areas to more closed in areas and things carried on as best they could under the circumstances. There was a lot of water in the lobby and in other areas of the hotel as it rained from noon until midnight the one day which is very unusual for this area.
The day we left, the sun was shining and we didn't see any evidence of clouds.
I would highly recommend this hotel unless you are wanting hot days and warm nights, then you might want to reconsider at least for this year or at least check out the weather patterns that they are experiencing.
The only thing that I can mention is the drinks and this comment applies to any all inclusive resort that I have visited. The same drink tastes different each time depending on who makes it. The bar staff doesn't appear to have any formal training in these type of resorts. If you like your booze then you probably won't care, but if you enjoy a drink for it's taste, it will be a good idea if you watch the drink being made and give specific instructions so you don't have to toss the drink after a few sips. A lot of drinks were generally half full of booze and ice with little room for the tasty mixes and the taste was generally not consistent from one drink to the next.
This resort had any premium liquor that you could want along with the 5 choices in your room's stocked bar and fridge. It was wonderful. Corona on tap at every bar ! It was great.
If you choose to go to this area for the golf or fishing or just to experience the area, the RIU is a great choice.
The taxi drivers are creating a bit of problem which we experienced on our departure from the hotel but everything was worked out in the end without any issues. Taxi's and bus tranporation are readily available to get you into town, etc.
Because the hotel is so large, make sure you find out where your room is before heading out with your luggage on your own. You may want to get a bellboy to help you with that. Finding our way around took a few days to figure out (at least for the shortest way). The floor numbering on the floors when the elevator doors opened was confusing. i.e. rooms 3130 - 3144. You had to push "3" in the elevator but it said "2" on the sign on the actual floor but it had the room numbers listed underneath the "2" so you just have to pay attention. Never did figure that out - but we didn't ask about it either.
The nightly entertainment went from about 9:00 until 11:00. The disco was then open until 2:00 am and the large lobby bar area (welcome area) was open (with snacks) until 7:00 am so if you are a "night" person, you are all set. Everything all included.
Cigars were being made and sold every night in the stage area. Everyone seemed to be buying and enjoying them. Cuban cigars are also available in town and maybe even in the resort stores.
Most of the jewellery (in the stores and on the beach) seemed to be pretty much the same so I don't think you can go wrong buying off the beach vendors. We found that you could end up getting bracelets for $10 - $15. Sometimes even cheaper. The hotel jewellry store prices changed from one day to the next depending on whether or not he liked you. One day - $90 for one person, the next day $45 for the same piece for someone else. Some of us bought there but most of us didn't. They did have a table set up by the stage one evening and the prices were more consistent then. Lots of places to buy jewellry in town. We were told that prices were a little better in San Jose as it is a little less touristy. Not sure about that as we didn't spend a lot of time in either place. There is a flea market set up at the harbour in Cabo. Lots to choose from.
The resort was Excellent but I have given it an "Above Average" because of our experience with the weather and the rain which the hotel could not be responsible for.
Enjoy your vacation wherever you decide to go.

50 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Billings, MT
Reviewed February 12, 2005

My husband and I just returned from the Riu. To say the least, I had my reservations after reading all of the reviews. After speaking to our travel agent, we decided to give it our best shot, and I am so glad we did.

The hotel is absolutely breathtaking. The marble and granite are unbelievable. It is a massive hotel. One of the guides told us it was built in four months. Hard to believe if it's true.

We were greeting in the lobby when we arrived from the airport. The host seated us at a table and proceeded to explain the layout of the hotel, how to make reservations for the restaurants, where the pools and bars were, and how to use your towel cards, room safes and telephones. You receive a wrist band for the all inclusive which you must wear at all times.

We had a junior suite. The room itself is cozy. Not a huge room, but big enough for two. It had two full beds that were pushed together. You step down into a sitting area that includes your small couch, coffee table and TV. The TV receives about 50 some channels with about 4 or 5 broadcast in english. The patio doors lead from your sitting area to the balcony. Our balcony looked over the courtyard and pools, but when standing outside, you had a beautiful view of the ocean as well. There are two patio chairs and a table out there as well. The bathroom is nice sized. Has a double basin sink with a large tub and removable shower head. They also provide a small hair dryer. The beds are firm, but not uncomfortable. We did turn the tv on at night to a station that didn't receive a signal for some white noise to block the doors closing in the halls.

The buffet is plentiful in food. There are many tables to choose from. The last night we were there they had a fish boil; shrimp, crab, clams, etc. along with the usual beef, pork, chicken. Also has many options in the morning for breakfast. The only restaurant we ate at was the Mexican. I can't brag about it, but I've been told I'm a picky eater. People we met told us the steakhouse and gourmet restaurant's were really good. I didn't care to wait in line to make the reservations, so the buffet was good enough for me.

There are about 5 bars. My husband drank the Corona and I had strawberry margarita's. I can't complain, I'm not a bartender. I thought they were pretty good. They love the american dollar, so if you tip, your glass will never be empty.

There are guides in the Riu lobby to arrange any excursions you would like to take. We did the Baja ATV tour and it was a blast. They pick you up, take you to some area out in the boonies, get your ATV's, follow a tour guide to the beach and then they turn you loose for about an hour. Lots of fun. Cost $55 each or $75 for a double. We then went on the Sunrider whale watching cruise. You have to provide your own transportation to the marina, but there are taxi's ($10) waiting at the bottom of the Riu entrance as well as a public transportation bus (60 pesos/person). The cruise is about 2 hours and they feed you on the boat. Saw a few whales. Only got pictures of the backs. Cost was $40/person.

My husband also para-sailed and rented a jet ski. He arranged this right on the beach at the bottom of the Riu. Each was around $40. The vendors hang out at the beach. They form a line, which I guess they're not suppose to cross. If you cross the line, you're toast!! Good deals, though. They like to bargain. If you don't want to talk to them, just tell them "no thanks" and they will leave you alone.

All in all, we thought the hotel was fantastic. The people were more than eager to please. We did leave $2 each day for the maid service. They clean your room, make great arrangements out of the towels, and stock your bar. The did come back a couple nights and turn down our beds. The mini bar was never stocked more than once a day, but there are bars everywhere so who cares.

We met great people there, mostly Canadians. I say just go with an open mind and have a great time.

44 Thank MTroperwife
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 12, 2005

My family and I just come back from a week of vacation in Riu 2/07-2/12. I have no words, it was the most amazing resort I ever been to, and trust me I've traveled alot and know alot about the hotels. The people who complained about the hotel and the services had nothing else to do or nothing to say. I also read all the reviews and was afraid to go there, but we are glad that we didn't listen to any of the complains and the negative reviews.

The food was great, and both my mother and I have problems with our stomach so we need it to be careful what we eat, but we had no problems what so ever.

Our rooms was always clean and it had the best view. Our room was 1027 and it over looked the ocean with the arch.

The entertaiment was great, the really tried hard to please everyone, especially on the rainy day. The director of the entertaiment Carlos is very bright individual and I had a pleasure to be with him in the other Riu hotel.

When making reservations to the specialty reastaurant you need to get there early but who can sleep late when you in paradise. We had a chance to go to two restaurants the Steak house and Gourment and both were amazing.

I'm already planning my next trip to Riu in July for my b-day and can't wait. If you need more infomrmation or pictures contact me and I'll be more than happy to share any information with you. Go and enjoy the beauty, don't listen to the people who has something negative to say about the hotel, they just simply like to complain and have nothing better to say.

62 Thank IrinaLit
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2005

I'm glad it has finally gotten better. We were one of the unfortunate families that went prior to Christmas (Dec. 12 thru Dec.23). We had the same room problems that everyone else seemed to have. The room we were first given and walked into was occupied. We were the first to occupy the next room they gave us and the Mini Bar didn't work nor did some of the electrical. It was fixed within 2 hrs. The A/C never did work but that was okay with us, we didn't need it that time of year. Our 1st 6 days there were magical but I guess that's to be expected when the resort is only 40% occupied. They had over 1,000 people arrive at once on our 6th day and went from 40% to 100% occupied and that's when chaos erupted throughout. A large part of the hotel cleaning staff and restaurant workers walked off the job the next day. We didn't get our room cleaned for two days until they finally got to it the following evening. You had to fend for yourself for breakfast and lunch, they didn't have enough staff. Sounds like they've got their bee problem under control. The enitre resort was swarmed to the point that you couldn't have breakfast outdoors, you couldn't lie by the pool or anywhere else. It was a bit comical when everyone was trying to find pool seats after breakfast only to be inundated by bees. I went for a workout in their gym and when I came back both pool areas were deserted. It's good to hear that they have gotten their act together. The Riu is just too good a brand not to. We loved Cabo, the resort is gorgeous and the people incredibly hard working and accomodating. I don't know if we would go back. There are so many great places and different resorts to visit in Mexico. I got up early a few days for golf and had to laugh as I passed the scene of 100+ people lined up before 7am for the ala carte restaraunt line, there's got to be a better way.

14 Thank Randman
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!