“Great stay at Riu Palace”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Decided to upgrade my usual AI experience and stay at a Riu Palace resort. It is truly a beautiful resort with exceptional staff. The resort was very clean with beautifully manicured grounds. All staff members were friendly, helpful and fun to speak with. The food even in the evening buffet was great with many choices and very tasty. I am not a fan of evening buffets so to state it was good is something. The sit down evening restaurants were very good with great service. If I were to complain about anything it is the house wine served - it is not very good and I am not a wine snob or one who is picky about wine.

The waiters that circulated around the pool in the afternoon were amazing and plentiful. It was hot so we stayed in the pool most of the day with food breaks but the drinks came to us. Who could complain about that.

The beach is clean but the ocean is not swimable but it was a blast to watch the large waves crash on the beach - and the sound was incredible.

I would recommend this resort readily to anyone looking for a great time in Cabo. We hope to be back to this resort again and will definitely stay with the Riu chain again.

8  Thank Hornette123

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I would like to start by saying that not everything that happened here was poorly executed, however, the things that did occur need to be addressed.

Positives:

1. The food/drink servers/preparers did an outstanding job.
2. The room service providers were excellent as well. Including Maid service.
3. Check in was smooth and polite initially.
4. Bell staff and Concierge were great.
5. Rooms and Grounds were well maintained.

Negatives:
1. The Front Desk staff was consistently rude after check in. Examples:
a. When asked to assist in contacting a guest we were greeted with a frown, and told to go and use a house phone.
2. Front Desk informed us at Check in that if our bands were damaged or broken that they would provide new plastic bands to us at no cost. This turned out to be untrue. Ernesto (Front Desk) exhibited unacceptable behavior/customer service. We explained to him that we had to go to a Wedding and that for the pictures, we would need to remove our bands for the pictures for the wedding. Ernesto, gave us a look and said : I am sorry, I will need to charge you 55 dollars to replace your bands (each!!). This after we talked to the front desk to make sure they understood our situation. Ernesto, handled the situation in a VERY UNPROFESSIONAL WAY. He entered into a fight with our wedding party and ruined the overall experience. Ernesto is in the wrong line of work. He should be handling maintainance or some other job where he does not interface w. the public. I am shocked that the hotel would allow customers to be handled the way he did. He is resentful and self entitled and appears to dislike americans.
3. The Pools all had some sort of slimey substance on the bottom. If you walk into the pool your feet slip and slide on this substance. It is especially noticable in the pool where the bars are. Water seemed unclean -- film of hair, oil, and filth floating on top. My guess-- the water is not changed very often in these pools. I felt hesitant to enter into the bar pool due to this.
4. The phone in my room only worked about 1/2 the time. As a result to get service, we had to walk to the front desk. I asked for Corona to be put in my refridgerator and was told by the staff that that would take special GM approval. Try to get in touch w. the GM--good luck.
5. The management team in this hotel should be retrained or removed. Very inattentive to customer needs. How about asking how our stay was when checking out??? When I went to take my baggage to my car to leave the bellman stopped me and would not let me load my luggage w.out a special check out slip--as if I was trying to run out on the bill!!
6. Many rooms are literally 1/2 mile from any elevator or stairwell access. Get ready for a work out going to and from the lobby/pool/restaurants.
7. The hotel has a paranoia about theft. You are issued a towel card and if you do not return your pool towel they charge you 25 dollars!
8. Drinks are made w/ the worst/cheapest liquor possible unless you insisted on top shelf. --Beer -- they must have a contract w. Dos XX. They did not like serving any other beer.
9. Reservations at their restaurants were impossible to get---so you are doomed to eat at the Buffett.
10. The Breakfast was a mix of good and bad. The Waffles and syrup were VERY bad. Maple syrup does not exist. Eggs were cooked to order and done well, the omellets were great. Sausage was gamey but bacon was fine. Dinner buffett was not good very cheap/poorly done. Overall I would say food at Buffet was not good.
11. Sleep and relaxation -- the doors to the room are VERY thin and allow any noise in the area (IE the grounds crew mowing and hedging at 8am everyday!!) We had to listen to a chain saw every morning for hours. Brutal! No sleep. I was exausted and thankful to get to my plane where I could sleep on my way home. Best sleep in 4 days.

I work for a Fortune 50 company, and would not have even taken the time to write this review if Ernesto (MGR) had not been the straw that broke the camel's back. He should be removed in my opinion from public service. I have contacted my Travel Dept w/in my corporation that does millions $$ a year w/ RIU to let them know about this place. Our Corp travel personnel will be reaching out to the Corp head quarters and addressing this overall stay w. their counter parts w. RIU. This was a shameful display of unprofessional conduct. IF you are looking for great service here; you are looking in the wrong place. Thumbs down!

Room Tip: Ask for something near pool away from the west side of hotel. Also get a room higher up, as the gro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
15  Thank chris h
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We, my husband and I and another couple, stayed at the Riu Palace July 4-10th. My review is based on the Riu Palace Cabo on it's own merit and not compared to other resorts in other places. First, we did our research before booking the resort. We knew in advance that this was not a "swimmable" beach. We knew the sand was "pebbly" and rough on the feet, we knew to ask for drinks as "doubles and premium alcohol". We knew it was an open air resort and birds would most likely be flying around and we were aware of the mosquito possibility. We knew reservations needed to be made early morning in advance for the restaurants. We knew that the king beds sometimes meant that 2 doubles were pushed together. All that being said... We had a fabulous stay and vacation at the Riu Palace in Cabo. The staff were very friendly and helpful with all of our needs. They honored our requests for our rooms to be in the same vicinity of the resort, they honored out request for "American King" beds. We woke early and made our dinner reservations without issue. Plenty of time to nap during the day to make up for early rising. Abel at the swim up bar was awesome! If you want to get sloppy drunk, it can be done as we witnessed it on a couple of occasions, even with the "weak" drinks some complained about in the reviews I read. There is plenty of variety and many choices for food. The staff is hard working and pleasant. Please do tip them. They appreciate it greatly. The resort is clean. We had no problems sleeping, eating, drinking or relaxing.
Do your research, read the reviews and have appropriate expectations and you will have a Fabulous time at this resort!!!
Thank you Riu staff!

Stayed: July 2014
11  Thank Carrolea
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The food is great. The resort is clean. The swim bar is niceStaff is friendly for the most part. Book reservations for dinner early in the stay they book up fast. I would reccommend this resort to a family

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank MEL S
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is an incredibly beautiful property and the pools are heated and amazing! The views cant be beat. The rooms are nice.

Only drawbacks I found where:
-Liquor is low grade
-We werent able to eat at any of the specialty restaurants because they required going to front desk at 7am to get a reservation. The only one we ate at was the Japanese and it was horrible.
The buffet was pretty good though!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandybell86
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Overall:
This resort was nice but did not meet expectations.

Important:
Cabo is a beautiful spot to visit (i highly recommend it). However, it is a more expensive destination to visit. THEREFORE, you will spend the same on a 4-star hotel in Cabo as you would for a 5+star hotel in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. I have been to a number of 5-star all-inclusives in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta (this is my first time at a RIU - (I have stayed at Secrets resorts and Palace resorts) - the RIU Palace did not rank at the top of my list.

The good:
- Clean: both outside around the pool, the grounds, and the rooms.
- Lots of sun chairs by the pool - no need to wake up early to get one
- Great pool drink service - always asked if you wanted a drink
- The weather - it was sunny for all 8 days we were there

The bad:
- Food: the buffet was okay (a lot of selection but food was similar to lunch buffet). The specialty restaurants had very little variety and after a few nights we got tired of having the same choices for dinner (i.e. each speciality restaurant had basically 3 choices on the menu - chicken, beef, or fish). Other all-inclusives that i have stayed at have had large, diverse menus at their speciality restaurants (i.e. sushi at the japanese restaurant, or lots of mexican dishes at the mexican restaurant). At the RIU Palace Cabo, you could basically get the same food at the buffet as you could get in the specialty restaurants.
- Only one choice of beer at the hotel (Dos Equis) - if you are a big beer drinker you might get tired of having the same beer for 7-days
- Drinks were not strong - watered down alcohol is expected at all-inclusives, however this place didn't make strong drinks (even if you tipped and asked for more alcohol in your drink)

Tips:
- Ask for a room on a higher floor away from the lobby/disco (we had a great ocean view room away from all the noise)
- Go into town for dinner - you will get tired of the mediocre food - we went to a place called The Office in town for EXCELLENT seafood.
- Take a tour to lovers beach - it's beautiful
- if you are willing to spend more money don't stay at the RIU Palace Cabo

6  Thank JWCS_1
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Just got back from this all inclusive from 7/5/14 to 7/11/14 , hotel have fantastic view , close to the city of Cabo San Lucas ( 10 minute in a cab for $14.00/each way ) typical RIU Palace lots of drinks and food , comfortable rooms , hotel is super big and in a nice location ,super clean , most of the workers are very polite, this RIU PALACE is not perfect but in general we had a great experience in this hotel , security is tight so don't worry about finding intruders in this place , if you a pool fanatic , the pool left to the lunch buffet is really nice and quieter than the other one, look for Tejas he will get your drinks quick and he will take care of you the way is suppose to be , if you are not a perfection addict I recommend this place to have a great vacation in Cabo san Lucas .

Room Tip: Lot of stairs , get a low level room .
1  Thank Emerson n