Just returned from the RIU yesterday! I'll just go ahead and list some pros and cons.
PRO'S- Check in was so smooth. The ride to the resort was a long one, but the scenery is so beautiful you wont even care. The resort is huge and spotless and the staff see's to it that it remains that way. I stuck with the Mojitos for the entire trip and they didnt disappoint. We did the lunch buffet at San Jose and it was so good, hot and fresh. We went on a whale sight seeing cruise, being from Chicago I had never seen a whale outside of Disney lol so that was fun. The cruise was very reasonable too, I believe about $60 per person. We were given drinks and an amazing lunch, we saw seals, the arch and Lovers beach. The hotel is also situated close to the market/downtown area near Cabo Wabo, that is another plus. The local restaurants are good as well..
CONS- Upon check in we were told that we could upgrade our room to an ocean front- so we did. Before we went to our room the clerk tells us that we were in a quiet area of the resort. LIES. The room we were given was right next to one of the bars and above a club, pool, restaurant and an area where lemons and limes are chopped for a great part of the day and into the late afternoon. To say it was loud, would be an understatement. Naturally we encountered a lot of smoke and screaming which is to be expected considering where the room was located but it was a headache. Next, wifi and cable is free, but it was the crappiest wifi and cable ever. Our TV did not show a clear picture and the wifi did not work during peak hours, which was anytime between 8am and 2am. I noticed that the days we were still up at 3 am, the wifi worked perfectly. RIU is aware of the issue because just as we were leaving for our cruise a cable person came to our room to check it out and even he couldnt help and said there was just no signal for the TV nor the wifi.
The breakfast at El Medano left much to be desired it just wasn't good. Cold waffles and pancakes, stale donuts, even the omelets were bad. I ended up just having fruit and bacon everyday-bacon is impossible to mess up. The fruit is local so its super fresh. Theres also a lunch buffet that doubles as a steak house which was ok. Again, you'll be most impressed with the local fruits, veggies and seafood options. These are the things done well here. The steak house (by night) had superb seafood as to be expected, but the steaks we had were not done well. The food could use some minor adjustments and better execution. We didn't try any of the other restaurants after trying the 2 buffets. The liquor.....these were some of the worst drinks i had ever had, even the wines. I finally settled on the mojito and it was very good, so I drank that the whole time. Also the tub in our room was dirty from the previous guests and the housekeeper refused to clean it for our entire stay. We worked out the entire time and got a little sore, we were hopping to take a bath or least hop in the jacuzzi. No such thing, the jacuzzi is not even heated! Note to RIU staff, it is probably not the best idea to have the water from the pool feeding into the jacuzzi, it defeats the purpose, therefore no guests used the jacuzzi. If RIU made some improvements I would go back, at this point if I went back to Cabo it would have to be with another resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the southern Baja California peninsula, 4.5 km/2.8 miles from Cabo San Lucas. 5-storey building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 32,000 m2 garden. 3.5 km/2.2 miles from downtown Cabo San Lucas. 40 km/25 miles from the airport. 500 m/1650 ft from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Hotels.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Expedia, BookIt.com, Jetsetter, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- Riu Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Los Cabos
- Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Los Cabos