“Good Trip”

Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Trip”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Just returned from the RIU yesterday! I'll just go ahead and list some pros and cons.

PRO'S- Check in was so smooth. The ride to the resort was a long one, but the scenery is so beautiful you wont even care. The resort is huge and spotless and the staff see's to it that it remains that way. I stuck with the Mojitos for the entire trip and they didnt disappoint. We did the lunch buffet at San Jose and it was so good, hot and fresh. We went on a whale sight seeing cruise, being from Chicago I had never seen a whale outside of Disney lol so that was fun. The cruise was very reasonable too, I believe about $60 per person. We were given drinks and an amazing lunch, we saw seals, the arch and Lovers beach. The hotel is also situated close to the market/downtown area near Cabo Wabo, that is another plus. The local restaurants are good as well..

CONS- Upon check in we were told that we could upgrade our room to an ocean front- so we did. Before we went to our room the clerk tells us that we were in a quiet area of the resort. LIES. The room we were given was right next to one of the bars and above a club, pool, restaurant and an area where lemons and limes are chopped for a great part of the day and into the late afternoon. To say it was loud, would be an understatement. Naturally we encountered a lot of smoke and screaming which is to be expected considering where the room was located but it was a headache. Next, wifi and cable is free, but it was the crappiest wifi and cable ever. Our TV did not show a clear picture and the wifi did not work during peak hours, which was anytime between 8am and 2am. I noticed that the days we were still up at 3 am, the wifi worked perfectly. RIU is aware of the issue because just as we were leaving for our cruise a cable person came to our room to check it out and even he couldnt help and said there was just no signal for the TV nor the wifi.

The breakfast at El Medano left much to be desired it just wasn't good. Cold waffles and pancakes, stale donuts, even the omelets were bad. I ended up just having fruit and bacon everyday-bacon is impossible to mess up. The fruit is local so its super fresh. Theres also a lunch buffet that doubles as a steak house which was ok. Again, you'll be most impressed with the local fruits, veggies and seafood options. These are the things done well here. The steak house (by night) had superb seafood as to be expected, but the steaks we had were not done well. The food could use some minor adjustments and better execution. We didn't try any of the other restaurants after trying the 2 buffets. The liquor.....these were some of the worst drinks i had ever had, even the wines. I finally settled on the mojito and it was very good, so I drank that the whole time. Also the tub in our room was dirty from the previous guests and the housekeeper refused to clean it for our entire stay. We worked out the entire time and got a little sore, we were hopping to take a bath or least hop in the jacuzzi. No such thing, the jacuzzi is not even heated! Note to RIU staff, it is probably not the best idea to have the water from the pool feeding into the jacuzzi, it defeats the purpose, therefore no guests used the jacuzzi. If RIU made some improvements I would go back, at this point if I went back to Cabo it would have to be with another resort.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 3rd floor (the main floor) that is the lobby and bar area and the club and anothe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank London J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,570)
  • Polish first
Glenpool, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

The Rui was wonderful. The food was to die for, excellent servers and service everywhere, beautiful views of the arches from our room. Only negative is that you can't get in the water here due to the undertow. But the pools are great and there are many to choose from.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ann H
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I just returned from a 7 day vacation at the Riu. What a fantastic vacation. I read all the previous reviews and was so pleasatly surprised.
Rooms- we were in room 1147 and it was amazing- Great view. VERY clean. Everything was fine. Our house keeper was so nice and helpful. Everything was always in perfect order and nothing was ever missing.
Food: If you cant find something you like to eat at this resort , you have serious food issues. The food is very good. Many choices.
The hotel is exceptionally clean. Everywhere you go, people are mopping, sweepingand cleaning.
The pools are spotless and warm. Chairs are plentiful- towel policy is easy to follow
Staff- This is whre the hotel really gets great revies. EVERYONE we encountered was exeptionally nice a helpful. Ceasar at the front desk is awesome and Paul, our poolside bartender couldnt hae been better.
Overall: This is a great resort and I wil be returning next year. The only thing that could havebeen better is if I would have stayed longer

Room Tip: The Oceanfront rooms are worth EVERY DI ME !!! Room 1147 is perfect
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank janet p
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We had an amaZing time! From the service we received while checking in to our check out, we couldn't have asked for more. We where met with drinks as we walked into their beautiful open air lobby. Check in was a breeze. We where then promptly taken to our room which was gorgeous. We had a view of the ocean in our junior sweet. I couldn't have picked a better room to have been put in. The food was a lot better then my husband and I expected. We ate at the Asian restaurant our first night then pretty much stuck to the buffet. They have a main one and a snack buffet by the pools. It was pretty good. Lots of fresh seafood. The room service folks where great as I ordered it 5 times one night and every time food was delivered with a smile and a laugh.

The hotel grounds where spotless. We claimed spots every day next to the pool with the swim up bar. Beach on one side and pool on the other. The head bartender Silvero kept our glasses full all day long. He even went way out of his way to locate pineapples to use as cups for us when I was upset we had missed them that morning. Very attentive and very friendly.

We never did make it to any of the nightly entertainment. Downtown Cabo was fun but we enjoyed just chilling at the resort. We met some awesome people while there who we still keep in contact with and will be going on this years trip to puerto vallarta with.

Advice: even though tipping is not required, tip those who take care of you. A few dollars here and there can make a load of difference in your trip. These workers make someplace around $5 a day. Bring sunscreen and tanning oil as it is really expensive at the hotel. Like $38 USD expensive. We felt safe during our entire visit. The Mexican military has a big presence in Cabo so don't be alarmed if you see uniformed men with automatic weapons walking around. We did almost get pick pocketed by a group of young kids but we where able to deter them so be smart where you keep your money. Last, just have fun, keep an open mind and remember it's their country so respect that.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Terina A
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is a great hotel, two swimming pools, some places to walk to along the beach and activities during the day. Very large hotel, 1600 rooms. Evening entertainment can lack atmosphere, but you can provide that yourselves! Rooms were slightly noisy, take earplugs. Buffet food is very good. If you have a food allergy, take a translation in writing as some of the restaurants didn't understand that I was gluten free. Loved the drinks dispensers in the rooms

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ttamzzy
Lafayette, In
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week for our friends destination wedding. The experience was wonderful. Our room was clean and very nice. The quiet pool is where we hung out all day. (We all like to drink so we took plastic water bottles and filled them with liquor from our room and took them to the pool with us. The wait staff brought us drinks and we topped them off with extra liquor because they were a little weak.) The wait staff was great and we rarely waited for anything. Food at the buffets was ok. I definitely suggest going to the restaurants. The dinner buffet was really good though. The view from the hotel is incredible but when we were there the ocean was way too rough to get in the water which I'm guessing is like that year round. We took a couple trips into downtown and visited the little shops. Typical tourist stuff to buy but I think it's fun to haggle prices with them! Overall our trip was great and I will definitely go back! Tip: take a bunch of dollar bills because we tipped as we drank and they don't have change so if you drink, take a bunch of one dollar bills!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Kari H
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I just got back from spending a week at the Riu Palace 02/20/14-02/27/14 and loved everything about it. The hotel was always clean and the staff is amazing! The food was better then other hotels I have stayed at and would recommend this hotel to friends and family. The beach is really sloped so we didn't spend much time there but the pools with infinity edges more then make up for it, over looking the ocean. There were a ton of whales swimming in front of the hotel while we stayed, it was almost a daily occurrence to see one swimming past. The water taxi to get across to lovers beach was well worth the money ($20 US round trip for 2 ppl), which included going to the arch, and stopping at the sea lions to take pictures. Once at lovers beach you can snorkel for $12 US. They also have people walking around with iguanas if you want to take your picture with one sitting on you for $2 US. I would also suggest taking a trip into cabo to do some shopping. The mall is very commercialized so I didn't see anything that I couldn't get back home, but if you walk around and visit the shops in the market there is sure to be something that you will like. I never once felt like I wasn't safe when walking around town and the shop keepers aren't pushy at all.
We went on one excursion while there called the amazing day and it was well worth the money. We got picked up in the morning and went to a glass blowing factory where we watched them make a turtle and then spent a few minutes in the gift shop before we headed over to a tequila tasting (it was a lot better then I expected). This was also when we got to "explore" cabo for half an hr while we waited for the catamaran. Once on the catamaran we went to the arch to take pictures, went whale watching and snorkeling. They gave us lunch and we headed back to the marina to be bused back to our hotels. For $109 per person I was more then happy with what we got.
If you are heading there most of the shops prefer American money over pesos (I found that anyways). They will also accept Canadian (bills) but usually wont have change for you.
I cant wait to go back

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!