“all parts of a holiday catered for”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is a great hotel, two swimming pools, some places to walk to along the beach and activities during the day. Very large hotel, 1600 rooms. Evening entertainment can lack atmosphere, but you can provide that yourselves! Rooms were slightly noisy, take earplugs. Buffet food is very good. If you have a food allergy, take a translation in writing as some of the restaurants didn't understand that I was gluten free. Loved the drinks dispensers in the rooms

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ttamzzy
Write a ReviewReviews (7,016)

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week for our friends destination wedding. The experience was wonderful. Our room was clean and very nice. The quiet pool is where we hung out all day. (We all like to drink so we took plastic water bottles and filled them with liquor from our room and took them to the pool with us. The wait staff brought us drinks and we topped them off with extra liquor because they were a little weak.) The wait staff was great and we rarely waited for anything. Food at the buffets was ok. I definitely suggest going to the restaurants. The dinner buffet was really good though. The view from the hotel is incredible but when we were there the ocean was way too rough to get in the water which I'm guessing is like that year round. We took a couple trips into downtown and visited the little shops. Typical tourist stuff to buy but I think it's fun to haggle prices with them! Overall our trip was great and I will definitely go back! Tip: take a bunch of dollar bills because we tipped as we drank and they don't have change so if you drink, take a bunch of one dollar bills!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Kari H
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I just got back from spending a week at the Riu Palace 02/20/14-02/27/14 and loved everything about it. The hotel was always clean and the staff is amazing! The food was better then other hotels I have stayed at and would recommend this hotel to friends and family. The beach is really sloped so we didn't spend much time there but the pools with infinity edges more then make up for it, over looking the ocean. There were a ton of whales swimming in front of the hotel while we stayed, it was almost a daily occurrence to see one swimming past. The water taxi to get across to lovers beach was well worth the money ($20 US round trip for 2 ppl), which included going to the arch, and stopping at the sea lions to take pictures. Once at lovers beach you can snorkel for $12 US. They also have people walking around with iguanas if you want to take your picture with one sitting on you for $2 US. I would also suggest taking a trip into cabo to do some shopping. The mall is very commercialized so I didn't see anything that I couldn't get back home, but if you walk around and visit the shops in the market there is sure to be something that you will like. I never once felt like I wasn't safe when walking around town and the shop keepers aren't pushy at all.
We went on one excursion while there called the amazing day and it was well worth the money. We got picked up in the morning and went to a glass blowing factory where we watched them make a turtle and then spent a few minutes in the gift shop before we headed over to a tequila tasting (it was a lot better then I expected). This was also when we got to "explore" cabo for half an hr while we waited for the catamaran. Once on the catamaran we went to the arch to take pictures, went whale watching and snorkeling. They gave us lunch and we headed back to the marina to be bused back to our hotels. For $109 per person I was more then happy with what we got.
If you are heading there most of the shops prefer American money over pesos (I found that anyways). They will also accept Canadian (bills) but usually wont have change for you.
I cant wait to go back

3  Thank Casey B
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed one week stay at Riu Palace in Cabo and we really enjoyed it very much!!

The resort is beautiful. The grounds are gorgeous, 2 large heated pools are beautiful. Beach is very nice but not swimmable for everyone. We were swimming.
What a thrill when the waves are big. Do not try please unless a good swimmer as it gets dangerous.

Food is excellent, huge variety, fresh, lots of seafood. Buffet was one of the best we've had. We loved Japanese restaurant and did not go to other restaurants.

Staff was excellent, huge thanks to all of them!!!
We were so impressed that we tipped everybody nice on our last day.

There is nothing to complain! Perfect place to stay and we will go back.

7  Thank Bobby T
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

This is a really fun hotel. The food is good, the service is good. I think it is a theme with Riu hotels, but the room decor is really ugly as I have found most of them to be.

The location is good if you want to be close to downtown Los Cabos. It is also right near the swimmable part of the beach.

I wouldn't stay here for a honeymoon, but for a family holiday or a group of friends I think it would be good.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank NicolettaM123
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I never thought I would write a review but after reading through a few negative reviews I thought I would. I will keep this short. If you have anything bad to say about the Riu Palace, stay home, nobody will ever be able to please you. The food, staff and resort are above expectation. I judge resorts by asking people if they would go there again and I would definitely go to this resort again in a heartbeat.

9  Thank Marven W
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed at the RIU Palace in mid February 2014. It was our first time to Cabo and first time staying at a RIU resort, but the 5th time we have stayed at an all-inclusive. We would definitely return to Cabo and stay at the RIU Palace again. I don't think I would even risk staying at another resort, we enjoyed it here so much.

The reasons we loved the RIU Palace are the same as everyone else has said in their reviews. The resort is beautiful. The views are stunning. We would start our days drinking cappuccino and end our days with a drink in the bar/lounge area at the back of the lobby, which overlooks the ocean with unobstructed views of land's end. The hotel and grounds are very clean. It is true, they are always cleaning there. When I go to these resorts I usually avoid the resort's pool area bathroom, and go back to my room, but even their pool area bathrooms were spotless and I don't think the cleaning woman ever left them throughout the day. There are actually 6 pools. The two sides of the resort mirror each other, so on each side there is a huge pool, which as the built in lounge chairs, a drinking pool with the swim up bar and built in tables and booths, and a very small kiddie pool. One side is the "quiet" side and one is the side with the activities. We spent everyday in the drinking pool on the "quiet" side, which still had a low-key party atmosphere. ALL of the staff we encountered were friendly, polite, and hard working. Sometimes we tipped, sometimes we didn't (depended on if we had money on us or not) and we always received great service, whether it be at the pool swim up bar, the bar/lounge, or at dinner. The food was ridiculous. In a good way. We only ate at the two buffets (one is for breakfast/dinner and one is for lunch) and they were mind blowing every day. I am a picky eater, so I feel like if you can't find something to eat, then you have the problem, not the buffets. Highlights of the buffet for me were the mimosas that were waiting at the entry for breakfast, the freshly made juice area (papaya juice, green juice, pineapple juice, and much more.) sushi one night, crab legs another night, and lots of Mexican staples offered 3 meals a day. For the breakfast/dinner buffet, if you arrive and there are no seats available outside, ask to sit in the courtyard area. It is the area that you can look down on from the lobby, and is nice and quiet. We only watched the entertainment show one night, and it was a Michael Jackson tribute which was pretty good. We had housekeeping twice in our room, and thought they did a good job. We had no issues with theft, but we had an electronic safe and I made sure to put any and everything into it that would fit, every time we left the room. The refrigerator was stocked with lots of bottled water, soda, and canned Dos Equis. The first time we had housekeeping they restocked all of the beer, but the second time they did not, so that was kind of a let down. The room itself was fine, as far as size and view. The bathroom was also a good size and had 2 sinks. The A/C worked just fine and I didn't smell or see any mold, and we didn't have any bugs in our room. Just as an FYI, all rooms are jr. suites, with a few full suites. I don't know for sure, but it appeared that all rooms have a balcony, and they were decent sized. We thought the weather was perfect. Sunny all six days we were there, with highs in the upper 80s to 90F. No humidity. Light breezes, but not the strong annoying wind that you get off the beaches in the Caribbean. It does get chilly at night when the sun is down, so bring some long sleeve shirts or a lightweight jacket/sweater.

Why I am not giving 5 stars (all very minor reasons): The rooms could use some updating and change. The king size bed is really 2 beds pushed together. I knew about this from reading reviews, but I still would've preferred a true single king bed. The bedding wasn't the greatest. The comforter or bedspread consisted of 2 flat sheets topped by a lightweight blanket that reminded me of a table cloth from 1980. There were heavier blankets in the closet but they also looked like they had been around since the '80s and looked a little icky to me. The couch in the room also looked very dated and wasn't comfortable. I totally understand that it isn't feasible to renovate a massive resort like this every few years, but new bedding and couches should be at the top of the list when they next do renovations. The TV also had minimal English speaking channels. Another complaint is that when we checked in the person at the front desk told us that we had to make reservations for the sit down restaurants 4 days ahead of time. Since we were only there for 6 nights, that meant we could only do these restaurants twice. So we just skipped them all together and ate at the buffet every night since it was so amazing. Later we heard from other guests that they were able to make reservations one day ahead of time, so not sure what the story is there. And my last complaint - at the breakfast / dinner buffet you are supposed to see the hostess/host and be seated. There is no sign that says this though. So one night, after we were seated outside and were served our water, we both got up to go to the buffet. We had done this every other time with no issues. Well this time we came back and another couple was in our seats. If there had been a sign to see host/hostess to be seated, then no one would just grab a taken table on their own.

And here is some additional info. Just FYI stuff:

People do start putting towels and books on lounge chairs by the pool very early. As early as 7 am. So if you are a sunbather and require a certain chair, make sure to go early to claim it. Now if you don't want to go early you will still find a chair, it just probably won't be positioned at the sun or be in the front row by the pool.

Cabo is not the Caribbean. Pretty much no one swims in the ocean right in front of the resort. They say it is too dangerous, even though it doesn't look very rough. The sand isn't as fine as it is in the Caribbean either. I tried to walk bare foot on the beach but it was too rough on my feet. For swimming you must take a water taxi out to Lover's beach. The water there is clear and calm and the scenery is beautiful. You can arrange a water taxi at the resort that will pick you up and drop you off there.

We hired a private car company (Cielito Lindo) for getting us to the resort and back to the airport. It was a 35 minute drive each way. We took a taxi into town once from the resort. You won't need to prearrange it. Just let the guy in the lobby know you need a taxi and one will be there shortly. It cost $14.00 one way and took about 5-10 minutes.

There is a small convenience store in the lobby selling over the counter meds, snacks, and souvenirs.

I brought ear plugs as I had read that it could be noisy, but never ended up using them.

Like I said, we can't wait to go back. I have already suggested this resort to 2 couples for a honeymoon location.

10  Thank christy423