“Christmas in Cabo”

Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Christmas in Cabo”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was our first time in Cabo San Lucas. We picked this hotel because it was on the beach, had two pools, was all inclusive and was middle price form the area. First the good stuff. The rooms were large, clean and had a balcony with a partial ocean view (all rooms had at least a partial ocean view). The food was great and plentiful and there was five choices of where to eat (six counting room service). The cleaning staff, the bartenders, and the food servers were all friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Now for the negatives. One of the pools had a broken heating system so everyone was at the other pool. There were signs everywhere around the pool saying you couldn't save chairs or smoke. The pool opened at 10:00 am. We went by the pool at 8:00 am on the way to breakfast and every lounger had towels, books and cups on them but no people. We sat at a table by the pool from 9:00 am til 1:00 pm and good half of the loungers never had a person on them. More importantly, the staff never did anything about it. We stayed in and around the nonsmoking adults pool bar. There were children and smokers constantly in the pool bar. Only once in the four days we spent in the pool did the bartender ask people to not smoke and they ignored him. Only once did the bartender tell a child she was not allowed in this pool and her father told her to go back in the pool. As I said the food was great. However, 3 of the 5 restaurants were reservation only. We didn't get to eat in them because the reservations were always full. When we went by those restaurants they were always half full but they still wouldn't let us in. When I asked at the front desk, the excuse was people make reservations and don't show up. I understand this but if there is room at the tables, let people in. The night live was not agreeable to us. There was a show designed for the children nightly that lasted til about 8:30 pm. The next show was the Disco that started at 11:00 pm. When I asked what we do for 2 1/2 hours I was told to eat dinner. But we didn't have reservations. Bottom line. The servers at the lowest level bent over backwards to make our vacation enjoyable. However, the supervisory staff was different . They were easy to spot. They were the ones wearing coats and ties. They were the ones allowing people to smoke in nonsmoking areas; allowing children to swim in the adult pool; allowing people to save lounge chairs all day and not use them. The couple of times I approached one with a question I got the impression that I was bothering them. I was given a canned answer designed to make me go away. This is what made my vacation less enjoyable. I hope the other Riu properties around the world don't have this attitude.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Martin M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,622)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Clean property and friendly staff, never felt unsafe etc..
Great Location, clean rooms. If you are looking for the Vegas pool experience this is not it. But the pool is nice and we had a good time. Expect a decent breakfast and lunch and go off property for Dinner if you care for something special. New years celebration for the price you can't beat it. No Grey Goose at all inclusive :)
Great view of the New Years Fireworks.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank MarkMarq619
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We spent 4 days at the hotel following a week at the Westin. We were expecting similar... Luxury it is not! There is smoking allowed everywhere. Ash trays are on the dining tables... Smoking by the pools etc. The food situation was not enjoyable. It is Buffet style, if you want to stand in line at 6:30 in the morning for a sit down reservation, that is an option. Imagine the people using their hands for serving utensils. The rooms are very loud and smell of the neighbor's smoke. You can hear drunk people in the hall ways all night long... The front desk staff an the concierge were not friendly. The house keeping staff and food service staff were very friendly. It's basically a booze cruise......

Room Tip: I wish I knew!
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Check in: Before arrival we were given our room keys and hotel information on the bus which saved time at the resort. Our luggage was unloaded while we received a cold cocktail and our wrist bands. We were then free to go on our way. No issues for us. We travelled in a group of 12 and one of our friends was put in the opposite in wing of us and in hindsight we should have asked for a room change for him. This proved to be a pain in the butt and caused some isolation issues for him.

Rooms: Our room was #2115 and we had a stellar view. The rooms were clean however our shower curtain smelt like dirty dish clothes. The mini fridge was always stocked and kept everything cold. We hardly used the coffee pot because the restaurants had a killer cappuccino! The bed was the absolute worst I have ever experienced on a vacation… in my life! It was the hardest most uncomfortable bed ever. It was so bad my husband and I considered bringing up pool loungers to our room; no joke! Room service was OK the first week but after shift change the second week was INCREDIBLE!

The Safe: We heard many people complaining to front desk about valuables going missing and
on day 3 we met a local vendor in the market and during conversation he stated that the staff at the RIU has a reputation of stealing. I have no proof or opinion on this but wanted to share what we heard. When we got back from the market we took our money out of the safe and carried it on our person. Better safe than sorry.

Food: The food was excellent the first 7 or 8 days but it became tiresome in the second week. This is common in 2 week all-inclusive holidays. Skip the Mexican ala cart it was nasty! For a break we ate in the Marina and had amazing food! Taco Laco had the best (and spiciest) fish tacos I have ever had! Beers were dirt cheap there and the service (Thank-You Hector!!!) was top notch!

Room Service: We ordered in a few times and without issue the food arrived in a timely manner and was actually really good. I always had the chicken Caesar salad and my husband loved the club sandwich. Booze was not delivered at this location but in Punta Cana they do. This was a bummer.

Booze: Oh dear! The first couple of days tiring to get a drink that didn’t taste like rubbing alcohol was exhausting. Our group’s table would be lined of full drinks that were terrible! Mixed wrong and made with alcohol not requested eg: rum instead of vodka. That quickly changed when the serving staff realized how much we tip. The next 12 days we had no issue getting Absolute/Smirnoff vodka or good rum at all. The wine was the worst I have ever had except for one bar, this was a pain in my butt! I couldn’t have a nice glass of wine with dinner unless we were in town. This was very disappointing. The champagne was OK. The service in the piano was embarrassing! Worst ever.

Entertainment: The entertainment was resort quality with a few outside acts brought in. I am not a fan of resort shows and this resort didn’t sway this. Service was ace during the show.
Pools & Bathrooms: OK RIU you messed up! Having one main bathroom on the pool and buffet level is absurd! I can’t believe that I had to trek through the buffet to use the only bathroom and then catch crap because I was wet. Beat it! I made an effort to make a HUGE wet mess through the buffet in hopes this will change in the future. There was a bathroom in the lower level of the Italian ala cart lunch buffet which was not convenient at all. This is a shame. The pools were absolutely freezing and in 2 weeks I never put my head under as I physically couldn’t. I heard the heaters don’t go on until January. We knew the ocean was not recommended for swimming before we booked so make the pools comfortable! Please.

Change: Bring small currency as you will not find any there. It seems like Cabo is the only place in Mexico that the change fairy doesn’t visit. Every time we asked for change every person said they didn’t have any. By the end we stopped tipping because we couldn’t get change. It was extremely frustrating.

Overall this resort is NOT a 5 star by any means. It is clean but older. Renovations need to happen as the floor plan does not work. After staying at the RIU Palace in Punta Cana in their ocean front Jacuzzi room I was let down with this property. We travelled with an amazing group and that was the only reason this holiday will be memorable. I would not return to this property in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Larissadotcom
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I just returned from a 7-day stay at the Riu Palace. I was there with my family. The hotel is reasonably close to town, about 2 miles. A cab ride into town for 4 was $12. The hotel itself is beautiful. Everything there was spotless. We encountered people cleaning at all hours. There are two pools. One pool is warmer than the other. The water in both pools was sparkling clear. I swam in both pools without goggles and never had any eye irritation at all. The pool with the cooler temperature is designated the "Quiet" pool. Generally, there are few kids there due to the water temperature. At poolside, there was always staff walking around taking drink orders. There are also two swim-up bars. The rooms were also well kept. We didn't have much of a view, but we spent so little time in the room that it didn't matter. There are also liquor dispensers in the room filled with four different types. Ours had tequila, rum, vodka, and brandy. There is also a fridge with sodas, beer, and water. All of this is gratis in that it is an all-inclusive resort. My only real criticism of the resort was the food. It's not that it was bad, it's just that a lot of it had little taste at all. For example, the deserts all looked spectacular, but they all ended up tasting just about the same. It was also a bit difficult to make reservations at the resort restaurants. I'd suggest making your reservations shortly after your arrival. There also were stage shows every night. They varied from night to night. One night was a Michael Jackson tribute, another was a "mini-Nutcracker". They also had a Las Vegas night. You get the idea. You can also arrange your excursions at the resort. The coordinators operate out of the large bar area behind the entrance lobby. Speaking of excursions, I think everyone has heard about the time-share "vultures" at the airport. If you have a shuttle arranged for you, you will not find them inside the airport. They are all just outside the airport doors. The vultures will tell you on your way out that you need to see them for shuttles. You don't. I'm told that the airport is privately owned, so the owners let the vultures operate inside the airport, presumably paying the owners for the privilege, while the real drivers have to wait outside. One last thing is the Internet. They do have wi-fi, but I wouldn't count on it. We were repeatedly dropped, having to sign in again and again. Would I stay there again? Sure, but I'd probably want to try something different if the travel allowed for it.

8 Thank DannyRay222
seattle, WA
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have been to all-inclusive hotels in Mexico before, we all think Riu Palace by far the best. 5 families of us having kids ranging from 7 to 13, stayed at Riu palace from 12/20 to 12/25. The hotel is clean and has great views. The room is big enough, we left the patio door open to make the air circulate. The landscape is beautiful; you can always find chairs round pools and on the beach. The services were great; they always tried to please you. I requested a rollaway bed for my older son, it was delivered quickly.
We are not big drinkers, but food is always important for our vacation. They accommodated 21 of us for restaurants reservations. We ate at Mexican and Steak house, although they were late seatings 8:45pm, but we all enjoyed our meals, especially kids. Buffet food is top qualities; we love all seafood there, smoke salmon, lobster, shrimps, etc. They had 3 seatings for Christmas Eve dinner buffet, however we felt a little bit rush, at beginning they didn’t setup enough seats for our group, then, we had less than an hour to eat since our time was up and later seating people were waiting for their turn. We understand this was a big event, the hotel had tried hard to accommodate everybody. I hope they can make the seating time longer for each group.
I only have one complaint is about gym, they have 3 old treadmills, it is really hard to find one available in the morning.
All in all, we had a great vacation, we definitely will come back soon!

2 Thank happy87
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I recently returned home from a two week stay at Riu Palace. Overall I enjoyed the vacation, but I thought I would speak to my experience there for all you people planning your next vacation. I had my own junior suite ocean view room (as I was the only single male in our group) and everyone else had jr suites in another wing. First I would like to say that I enjoyed it and had a blast, but there were a few things that really bothered me while I was there, and hopefully you can take something away from this.
The good:
The Dive Shop. By far, the best people I met were the dive instructors at ScubaCaribe (located on location). Maria and Juan Carlos are absolutely the best. I took my PADI open water dive course here and I'm totally addicted now. They just brightened up the whole resort with their enthusiasm and positivity. I can honestly say that if you are thinking of taking the scuba diver training, DO IT. Great people, I actually miss them now that I'm gone haha.

Cleanliness. The resort was scoured every day by the staff. Every morning all the floors and bars and tables and chairs are washed top to bottom. Every morning when I left the room and headed out for the day, the entire resort was spotless. Even the sand was groomed on the resort property. Room cleanliness was also top notch (though I will speak to this again later, see “The Bad”).
Food. The food at the resort was pretty good. The buffet for breakfast and supper was always a good spread. I found there was a wide variety of things to eat but one suggestion would be to keep a little closer eye on temperature with the breakfast, as some of the food would cool a little too quickly before you could get there (recommend an early breakfast guys, otherwise it will get old if you wait too long).
See “The Bad” for additional info on Food.
Staff. The entertainment staff at the resort were a laugh. I was impressed by their memory and how they’re able to remember everyone’s name so well. Every time I saw one of them in the corridors or pool area, they remembered exactly who I was and were very friendly.
View. The view from the piano bar balcony is extraordinary. The beach view is also great (even if you have to wade through hordes of pan handlers and peddlers who aren’t afraid to yell at you from 100 yards). I’m glad the resort does not have boats and vendors and water taxis littering the shoreline. If you go a little further towards the arch down the beach, it clutters the beach and there are just WAY too many tents and peddlers.
Accessibility. Getting a taxi from the lobby is too easy. Walk up and ask for one and within 2 minutes your 15 dollar cab ride into the downtown is waiting. It’s a fixed rate so you don’t have to worry about spending too much, I thought it was close enough to get downtown in a breeze but far enough away to avoid all the buzz. A word to the wise though, if you go outside the resort make SURE you bring your ID because if you lose your bracelet, it is a major hassle to get back into the resort.

The bad:
Prejudice. During my stay at the Riu, I noticed that the resort is nearly almost entirely comprised of couples and wedding parties. There were very few singles at the resort, and I strongly felt as though we weren’t as welcome as the others. First off, my entire group was put together in the same wing within a few rooms of each other while I was almost an 8 minute walk away on the other side of the resort left to die a lonely segregated death. Secondly, I would estimate that 50% of the time when I went to eat at the buffet or a restaurant by myself, not one person came to see if I wanted a drink or anything. This was really frustrating. The minute I walked in with a few people, we had service. Also, when ordering drinks as a group, somehow mine was left out many times. In addition to that, I ordered room service a few times during my stay and 2/3 times it never even came. I felt like everyone had my room number and when I asked for anything they were like “Oh he’s here by himself, lets focus on the others”. So this and a few other incidents made me feel as though I was a second rate guest at the RIU… even though I was the pushup champion of “Mr Riu” competition ;)
Noise Pollution. On an all inclusive trip to Mexico, one thinks of staying up late having drinks… sleeping in and lounging around the pool soaking up the sun. Well, you’d get two out of three of those things. Sleeping in = completely impossible. The rooms have absolutely NO insulation from hallway noise. You can hear a penny hit the floor 20 rooms down guys. The worst part about this was that the hotel cleaning staff began their rounds around 730 to 8 AM every day. I was woken up every single day at this time by cleaning carts thrashing down the hall, staff hand held radios with the volume up so loud it could have drowned out the pool bar stereo, cleaning staff yelling out to their coworkers in the hall and the slamming of room doors (and I mean slamming). There was not a single day in all of the two weeks that I got a good sleep. I had to take naps in the afternoon to keep going. This alone is a deal break for me. I don’t know if I would ever come back based on the room noise and lack of privacy due to this.
The Room “Un”-Safe. Well, I was lucky by the sounds of things. I did not have anything stolen from my safe or room. However, other people in the resort did. I heard a handful of people complaining to front desk about money missing from the safe. The theft is so bad at this resort that people in downtown Cabo were telling us “DON’T PUT ANYTHING IN THE SAFE!”. So that same day I took every peso out of the safe and carried it everywhere I went. Don’t take a chance on it. This is actually ridiculous for a hotel chain of this size to have happen. If I can’t put my passport somewhere safe in my room… So be smart with your valuables guys.
BATHROOMS! The Riu boasts of a plethora of pools and swim up bars conveniently located near buffets and other good food choices. However… there is 1 bathroom in the entire resort that is on the same level as all of the pools, and you have to walk an unreasonable distance to get there, through the buffet area. So your trodding through the kitchen soaking wet from the pool and the food is all laid out in front of you there. The water on the floor is a slipping hazard. Not to mention if your hanging out by the pool all day drinking and no one has seen you get up in 3 hours… we know there’s pee in the pool! Gross! Come on guys, really? Put another bathroom near the pools!
Alcohol. This is a pretty important thing to have at an all you can eat and drink resort. While there are a handful of choices to pick your poison, the options aren’t as nice as you’d think (or advertised). Getting a nice rum was tough. The premium rum (which you had to request specifically and hope they had some) was an Appleton Estate rum. This sounded pretty good to me because I like that distiller, but this particular rum wasn’t even really a nice as the standard stuff at home in Canada. If you didn’t ask for the “good stuff” you got a really nasty moldy tasting Bacardi rum. I think someone was distilling it in the back in a bathtub… If you wanted beer, you got tap beer. The taps probably haven’t been cleaning since the late 80’s. I had it a couple times on different days hoping it would be alright but no. Also it wasn’t really all that cold and in the plastic cups you get, it warmed up so fast it was really a waste. The wines were pretty cheap-o but they had one good white that you could get only at certain bars (Who wants to walk to the other side of the resort to get the good stuff??). Finally, my last rant is about closing time. This resort says 24/7 bar service. Well, I’m going to tell you now that after about 11 o’clock your either going to be thirsty or falling sleep of boredom. The Disco opens up after they close all the pool bars (so no night time pool bars… lame sauce). The disco is pretty fun but if you don’t want to hang out with sweaty drunk people, you’ll have to wander over to the piano bar, the only one that is open 24/7. Oh and by the way… there is no music. That’s right… it’s kind of like hanging out with your buddies drinking at a funeral home. A few people brought Bose sound systems out but were told to shut them off. Moral of the story here guys is like I said before… the resort caters to couples and wedding parties but if you don’t get up at 7 AM and go to bed around midnight… you probably won’t like this place.
CHANGE! Thousands of dollars and pesos go through this resort every day. Bartenders are tipped, waiters are tipped, front desk is tipped, cleaning staff get tipped, bell boys and stewards are tipped. Somehow nobody can break a 20. Several times I approached bars that had JUST closed on the resort. The bartenders were sitting on stools beside the Disco entrance counting stacks of 1 dollar bills and 50 peso bills. I asked if they could trade some money with me so I could tip the Disco bartender… “No we don’t have any” they said. This was a typical response here. If you went to the shop to buy something with American you got “Change in Pesos only ok?”. The front desk was the only place that would give out change, and it quickly became a joke in our group to see who could get there first and clean them out. The ATM on the resort is IN SPANISH ONLY. If you don’t speak Spanish… don’t bother. The entire resort is filled with people vacationing from North America and other English speaking countries and they don’t have an ATM in English… really?? I can’t even get money out of the machine to GIVE AWAY.

Guys I know this was really long, but I felt like there were some good things to mention (even though I think that they should be pretty standard things) but there are some pretty glaring areas for improvement at this resort. I do not agree with a 5 star rating, I would give it 3.5. In addition, I had a fun time because the people I went with were a total blast… but personally, I felt all of those things I mentioned above. I am really polite with people everywhere I go, I tip more than I should to get good service and I befriend people I meet whether they are staff or guests. I just felt like I was treated like I was second class to everyone else, which is frustrating when I had to pay 60% more than they did for my “single supplement”. I think RIU is a great place for older couples and small groups to go, but I personally would never go back. The handful of things that happened to me while I was there put a bad taste in my mouth that will stick with RIU in my books. Moral of the story: There are a few pockets of excellence but it was a let down…

Room Tip: Personally, I would have slept on the lawn to get away from the room noise... good luck!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!