“Had a fabulous time!”

Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Palestine, Texas
“Had a fabulous time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My hubby and I spent a week in late September and loved every minute of it!! We will definitely be back. I have seen posts that say the food is not good and the rooms and grounds are dirty. I did not see anything like this. There were always plenty of people cleaning and the wait staff were always there to get you something to eat/drink. There were always plenty of great choices on the buffets to eat and our room (bedding, towels and all) were always clean. We were happier with the buffet choices than with the specialty restaurants, but the Sante Fe was really good! Our only bad food choice was the Japanese. The food tasted great but it made us pretty sick. I do wish they had better wine choices, but there were plenty of other things to drink.
It is true that you can't swim from the beach at the resort, but that is true of most of the resort beaches in Cabo. The pools more than make up for not being able to swim in the ocean.
Be careful when booking tours through the hotel. Be sure to ask how long the tour is and whether that includes travel time to/from the destination. We got stuck on a 6 hour tour that we didn't think would ever end.

Room Tip: We were on the 1st floor and it made us really close to anywhere we needed to go. However, it also m...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bruner01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,576)
  • Polish first
Los Banos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed at The Riu Palace for 7 days. The rooms were clean & OK.We had a Ocean Front Right in the middle of the Hotel Overlooking the outdoor bar & a main pool.
The TV reception was poor At best,No we did not go to watch tv,but when you turn it on you hope to get a clear picture. The staff tried 4 times to correct it but never did.
The food was good the bar service was excellant. The restaurant reservations are a nightmare.
We did not feel that either one we ate at was worth the time or trouble.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Benton A
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Our long-awaited family vacation was a disappointment. The rooms were dirty, musty, and damp. The rooms were very uncomfortable - old matresses, old towels, and simply not clean.

The food was mediocre (Japanese was nice), and drinks were awful The wine was simply not palateable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MNWorldTraveler
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I don't want to come across like one of those impossible to please people who literally gripe about everything. What I want to do is just give some basic info so folks can decide for themselves. This was actually our second visit to this particular resort. We visited about 2 years ago and weren't particularly interested in returning until we landed tickets to Sammy Hagar's birthday bash and decided to give it another go.

Some reasons for not wanting to return, are the follows: (1) as much as we love the view of Land's End, you cannot swim on this particular beach it's just too treacherous; (2) we hated how local vendors/sellers covered the beach in front of the hotel waiting to pounce on you as soon as you tried to get near the water; (3) the beach area where you lay is incredibly disappointing with no view of the water's edge; (4) the walls in the rooms are paper thin and you can hear "everything" going on in the hallway; (5) the food really isn't very good (including the specialty restaurants); and (6) forget about dessert, their offerings look beautiful but are completely tasteless.

I say all these things because we have been to RIU Palace Mexico in Playacar several times and loved that property. Exceptional service, incredibly clean inside and out, fantastic palm-treed beach, swimmable beach (though the pools are small), amazing food, everything this particular RIU isn't. Being a RIU Class cardholder meant something to them and they were great about leaving little extras in your room as a thank you.

Yes, it's lovely. Yes, it's huge. Yes, the view is exceptional. But we found the place woefully understaffed, the crowd was fairly obnoxious (drunk ugly Americans) and problems with things not being as clean as they should be. Yes, we saw a mouse in the hallway working over an ice cream spill that had been there since the day before. I also found it odd that the cleaning staff refused to restock towels when they cleaned the rooms. Instead, you would get a knock at your door anytime from 5:30 - 10:00 p.m. with new towels.

Perhaps there was a bit of resort fatigue going on but should we ever return to Cabo, it won't be to this particular resort.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank homeowner E
Chula Vista, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

we have been to this hotel twice. I love it!. the food is good and the service is excellent! If you pay for a ocean view you may get a side view of the ocean, we were moved to a front ocean view the next day. The pools are clean and the room service is excellent. Only thing I didn't care for was the the fact that to eat at one one of the specialty restaurants you needed to make the reservations on the same day as early at 7am in the morning which i though was crazy I am on vacation I am trying to sleep late each day. I did it because it was my husbands birthday. 7am and she tells me they can not accomodate a group of 4 in my party. I was very upset since I had follow all the rules. I soke to the supervisor I explained how awaful this was and she quickly took care of it. So don't be shy to bring a matter up to a supervisor If you don't get what you need. You are paying high for a good service you should get one.

Room Tip: ask to be moved if you get a side ocean view. If you paid for an ocean view you should get a fronta...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank oconparra
Johnstown, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

First, I am not a negative person. I have a hard time saying bad things about anybody, or anything. The resort is beautiful. Truly. The staff is excellent. They are constantly cleaning, grooming, painting etc. The pools and bars are great.

HOWEVER, the second full day we were there my wife and I ate at the Krystal. Their "finest restaurant." The only thing in common that we had was the beef tips. 4 hours later my wife and I started the diarrhea and vomiting carrousel. That lasted 8 hours. 8 hours until we could keep a sip of water down. Then we were down that entire next day until the following morning at 8am. 32 hours out of action. Add to that, for the rest of the week we stuck to the buffet and ate basically only rice, potatoes and rolls. Not exactly what we were looking for in an all inclusive.

We went to the desk to tell them about the incident and they said a manager would call us. That never happened. The rest of the week we met dozens of couples who said that either they go very sick, or talked to somebody else that got very sick. Literally every couple knew of SOMEBODY besides us that got sick.

While its a pretty place and very relaxing, I would not recommend it because of the food issues they obviously have.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cameron S
Whittier, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

After staying many times at the Santa Fe we thought we would upgrade to the Palace. Room smelled of bad Mildew, when a request was made to relocate the front desk staff was rude and begrudgingly relocated us. Once again bad smell, relocated to a third room which was not as bad but very disappointing. Staff was good with the exception of the front desk staff who need to check their attitudes.
Love Cabo but would not stay at the Riu Palace.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,560 reviews
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,208 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!