“Great value, great service”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Walnut Creek, California
“Great value, great service”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is resort a great value with clean facilities and friendly service. The only reason I did not give 5 stars was the quality of the food. It was OK and there was a lot of it, always available but none of the meals were "fantastic" and none of the drinks were either. But this was my first experience at an all inclusive and it was worth every penny. A massage down by the beach is a MUST.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,607)
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We booked our trip to Cabo San Lucas in January 2013 and selected the Riu Palace based on previous TripAdvisor Reviews. Needless to say, we were not disappointed in Cabo or the Riu Palace. We arrived on 14 October 2013 and checked out on 20 October 2013. We used Transcabo Transportation and highly recommend them if you're visiting Cabo San Lucas. We booked our reservation via the internet; they were easy to find when we arrived at the airport, and they picked us up on our departure date at the pre-arranged time.

Check-in to the resort went smoothly, however, are rooms (two couples) weren't ready until 3:00pm. We arrived at the Riu around 12:30pm. It wasn't a problem as the porters took our bags and delivered them to the rooms.

As some previous reviewers have written, you can't please everyone and if you're looking for a 5 Star Hotel, you might want to look elsewhere. My wife and I along with our friends are totally satisfied with our stay, the food, and overall service we received and would definitely return for another visit.

We had reserved "Ocean View" Rooms; what that means is you can see the ocean if you stand and your balcony and turn your head. But since we didn't spend too much time in our rooms other than to sleep and clean up, that wasn't a problem. We had a nice size room, with a king bed, a small living room area with a flat screen TV. The bathroom was good size; however water pressure in the shower was pretty weak. One needs to be extra careful as there is tile everywhere and can be slippery at times. Our friends both slipped in their shower and management provided them with a shower mat for the bathtub. Travelers might want to consider that when checking in. Room service was timely and appropriate; we had no issues, however, our friends who don't drink had requested a frequent resupply of soft drinks; this didn't occur like it should. There is a safe in the room, however, we had the old style safe and had to go to the front desk to request a lock. One must then either carry the key with them or hide it somewhere. It would be nice if the front desk issued the key when you checked in. Our room was on the 4th floor, but near the entertainment area; as a result we heard the music and noise until late in the evenings. We will ask for a room a good distance from all the activities on any future visit.

We highly recommend the Italian and Mexican restaurants; they are in the same facility, but Italian is served at lunch and Mexican is in the evening. Reservations are required for the evening meal. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant and Krystals; reservations are required for Krystals and men must wear long pants. The hotel's meal reservation system needs a overhaul as one has to get up early in the morning to stand in a line in hopes of getting a table. The food at the specialty restaurants was okay, but having done it once, I wouldn't worry about eating there on a future visit. Don't get me wrong, the food is good, service is outstanding; but our group preferred the other establishments better. The buffet was pretty much the same, but do offer a large selection. People staying at the Riu Palace can also eat at the Riu Sante Fe next door; we ate there twice and found their buffet larger with more food options.

There are two large pools, one referred to as the Quiet Pool and the Noisy Pool. We spend our time at the quiet pool and never had a problem getting chairs. Bar service is frequent and the servers are very friendly. They work hard and do deserve to be tipped. There were 3 weddings while we were there and two of them took place on the beach in front of the pools. People enjoyed the water, while watching the weddings. The ocean waters are a little rough and swimming in the ocean is discouraged.

We rented waverunners, parasailed, and took a glass bottom boat tour while there; lots of activitites.

A great, beatifully maintained All Inclusive Resort; not a 5-Star and you will have minor hiccups while staying there, but well worth the price. My wife and I will surely return one day.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the entertainment area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lebanon, Missouri
Reviewed October 21, 2013

First trip to the Los Cabos area - stayed three nights at the RIU Palace in a Jr. Suite Oceanview on the main floor. The property is very pretty and very large, with a very pretty lobby and even better open air large lobby bar in the back. The room I had was nice, with a king size bed and a step down sitting area with a large TV. The beds were hard, however you can ask for pads for the bed when you arrive. There is poolside service here, which was a nice suprise. Only thing I did not like about the property is the towl card and the safes in the room have the old fashioned locks with a key you have to carry around. They said they were upgrading their safes hopefully within the next year.

Overall this property is in a fabulous location close to Cabo San Lucas, and sits on a very beautiful wide stretch of beach. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank lraeb
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a great holiday and the Palace is gorgeous. The grounds, suites, restaurants and entertainment were all very good. I have stayed at the Santa Fe before and expected bigger and better things from the palace. There was 4 of us and we met and hung with alot more people from all over. It was disappointing that some of the bar staff deliberatly ignored us when we went to the bar. It seemed that the people with money in their hand got their attention right away. I am a firm believer in tipping, but also believe in tipping for good service not BAD. We had a few of our favorites and they were awesome. The system for making reservations for dinner is pathetic. I am not fond of having to get up and be in a line up at 6:45 am to make a reservation and then arrive at the restaurant and most of the time they were over half empty.

Room Tip: Suites facing South have the morning sun, shady at the hottest time of day. Not sure if there is a b...
1 Thank aglama
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace for a girl’s trip in early October. Each of us has been to all inclusive resorts before. The Riu was fantastic! Check in was easy, the staff was great, the resort was clean (and always being cleaned), the view was stunning. I had previously read reviews about thefts, outdated rooms, noisy hallways, moldy smells, etc. before going on this trip. I did not find any of these to be the case. No theft and did not hear of any during our stay. I had also read about air conditioners that did not work. The door leading to the balcony/patio must be shut or the air will not run. Our ac worked fine the whole time.
The rooms were nice; we had garden view junior suites, but still had a view of the ocean. I am glad we didn’t pay the extra $$ for the ocean view. I don’t think that the room was outdated at all. Flat screen TV, bathroom with double sinks, digital safe, stocked fridge. The double beds were pushed close together, which is unusual, but not a big deal. We hung out at both pools, but found that we liked the atmosphere of the quiet “zen-like” pool better. There are plenty of lounge chairs for each pool, but if you have a preference on where you would like to spend your pool time, you will want to put your towels out early to save your place. The chairs at the quiet pool were more comfortable.
We were able to make reservations for all specialty restaurants upon check-in, with the exception of Krystal, we had to make that reservation on the day of. I found the specialty restaurants were okay, not great, but I am an extremely picky person when it comes to food. Service was slow at the Japanese restaurant, but we weren’t in a hurry. I think the Riu has the best buffet I have found at any all inclusive resort. There were many options for dining, so that you didn’t have to eat the same thing each day. I will say that by the last day I was getting tired of the food, but that was my American appetite craving fast food. :)
The drinks were hit and miss, depending on the bartender, but I didn’t find them to be watered down or too strong. Just keep trying different drinks until you find the right one.
Overall, it was a great stay and fantastic girl’s trip. I will be back!

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I went on a trip to meet 3 other couples in the end of April 2013 to Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas. From the very time we stepped out of the airport transport van with Funjet Vacations, we were blown away. The staff was wonderful! Our room was right upstairs from the main lobby and overlooked the left pool over the breakfast restaurant. Our room was gorgeous! We have stayed at certain all-inclusive resorts that when you walk in, the room is muggy. This room was cool, crisp and the floor was clean and not sticky or sandy. Throughout the trip, we both kept saying how we have never seen a resort staff keep grounds so pristine and manicured.

Our room had a cold refrigerator that was stocked with Tecate Beer, Sodas and bottled water (restocked every day and as needed)! Even our balcony was very clean. The pools are gorgeous, and the pool bar staff went above and beyond to meet your every need. Staff were fun and courteous (even wouldn't let you get out of the water to go get a snack- they insisted on bringing it to you)!

We visited most all of the restaurants, and the Italian was our favorite. The steak restaurant was a favorite of some members of our group, as one of the desserts consisted of a brandy liqeuor and flame presentation upon serving.

We saw a few shows which were very entertaining (Grease was awesome)! Nightlife kind of dwindles down a bit after the shows/dinner. There is a "disco" that we went to one of the nights...aside from being silly and on vacation, it is a little cheesy, but fun. Our favorite place to meet every evening was the lobby/piano area bar...awesome service!!

Antonio with Funjet vacations was extremely accommodating with helping us book excursions with our group (no one else was with Funjet). Someone was always at the Funjet desk. We took the daytime tour via boat to the arches from the marina...we really lucked out on this trip because there were no boats that they typically use available, so all 8 of us had the honor of taking a personal pontoon boat for our tour. We also went on the catamaran evening wine/jazz cruise- SO MUCH FUN! The resort had very limited (not so good) choices of wines, so this was a nice evening out with being able to drink quality wines and appetizers.

We were SO extremely sad to leave and come back to North Carolina and cannot wait to visit again... Hands Down, the BEST vacation we have ever had (even better than our honeymoon in Punta Cana- TOO HOT).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sullivan92112
Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This our second time at The Riu Palace. We arrived on Friday October 11th and checked out on Saturday October 19th.

We booked thru US Airways tours and every thing went smoothly. They booked ground transportation thru Telamar Tours. They got us to the resort in about 40 min with only one other couple on the van. But on the return trip back to the airport they jammed 4 other couples and their luggage into the van. I think I would reconsider using them again.

Check in went smoothly and we were in our rooms quickly

Having been here before, we knew our way around the grounds, which are extensive and can be confusing for the first couple of days. This made our return much more enjoyable

A few things to ask yourself before booking a stay at the Riu Palace, Cabo San Lucas:

1. Do I expect the same experience as a 5 star hotel at home, if so...stay home
2. Do I demand champagne on a beer budget, if so...consider staying home
3. Can I compromise, and enjoy experiencing a culture different than my own and take
responsibility to make the effort to make vacation the best I can, if so...Book The Riu Palace!!

Whiners, please book the Motel 6's of the world.

This is our second time at This resort. The staff makes this an experience we couldn't wait to repeat. The entertainers, Sergio, Angelo, Eddy and the troupe were always as friendly and eager to please. The Wait staff at the Buffet, the Captain, Alex always greeted us with a handshake and a genuine smile and Ariselli is the most awesome waitress I have ever seen. They both remembered us from our last visit and made us feel like family. The numerous reviews of the hard working staff all are spot on. I have never experienced a more well kept and cleaner resort. The pool waiters and bartenders are fantastic.
We were there during the tropical storm that lasted for a couple of days. The Mexican and the Steakhouse, which are mostly outdoor venues with limited protection for the diners, operated with limited seating causing reduced seating. I was able to make reservations for the Kristol, the more upscale fusion restaurant, but that was the most underwhelming experience of the trip.
During these days the staff worked diligently to squeegee and mop the floors to keep them safe for their guests. We even saw a couple of the restaurant captains in their tuxedos mopping

Now, for the taking responsibility on your own to have a great time;
The buffet had an amazing variety of selections both for breakfast(the only place that serves breakfast on property) and dinner. Due to the reduced seating available caused by the storms, we ate most dinners at the buffet if we didn't go to town. When at the buffet we would stop at one of the bars and bring our own cocktail to the buffet, Ariselli would send one of the busboys out to get us a refill if we ASKED for one. We would fix an appetizer plate of cheese, fruit, vegies and crackers to share. Then go back for an entrée that was different every night. followed by a selection of desert from freshly prepared, cakes, pastries, mousses and fruit... A cocktail and 3 course meal of our choosing.
Breakfast was pretty much the same. A lot the food was the same, but there is so much selection, it is up to you not to choose the same thing everyday, which we saw many do.
It is not all pre made and warmed. There are 3 cooking stations making dishes to order, all you have to do is ASK.
When we checked in the brandy dispenser didn't work. after notifying the front desk the bar keeper showed up and replaced it. I ASKED if we could have scotch in the room and 10 min later he returned with a bottle that stayed in our room for the 8 days we were there.
They only have soda pop in the in room fridge, so I ASKED one of the bartenders for a bottle of Tonic water and limes to make tonic mixers in the room.
If you can't express what would make your experience better, I don't think you have the right to whine and write negative reviews.
Treating staff with respect will also solve a lot of problems, as I saw instances where guests lost their cool and were not satisfied with the outcome.
As others have said, tips will relate your appreciation to the staff, I never saw a lack of service to those that did not tip. The staff excels in making you happy
I understand some have had experiences, such as theft, injury, and natural calamities that they deserve to address and I took them into account when choosing to revisit this resort.

We are looking to return in March with our adult daughters and fully expect to once again have a fantastic experience

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view. If you are not happy ASK for a room change
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!