“Almost Paradise, how could we ask for more?”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace for a girl’s trip in early October. Each of us has been to all inclusive resorts before. The Riu was fantastic! Check in was easy, the staff was great, the resort was clean (and always being cleaned), the view was stunning. I had previously read reviews about thefts, outdated rooms, noisy hallways, moldy smells, etc. before going on this trip. I did not find any of these to be the case. No theft and did not hear of any during our stay. I had also read about air conditioners that did not work. The door leading to the balcony/patio must be shut or the air will not run. Our ac worked fine the whole time.
The rooms were nice; we had garden view junior suites, but still had a view of the ocean. I am glad we didn’t pay the extra $$ for the ocean view. I don’t think that the room was outdated at all. Flat screen TV, bathroom with double sinks, digital safe, stocked fridge. The double beds were pushed close together, which is unusual, but not a big deal. We hung out at both pools, but found that we liked the atmosphere of the quiet “zen-like” pool better. There are plenty of lounge chairs for each pool, but if you have a preference on where you would like to spend your pool time, you will want to put your towels out early to save your place. The chairs at the quiet pool were more comfortable.
We were able to make reservations for all specialty restaurants upon check-in, with the exception of Krystal, we had to make that reservation on the day of. I found the specialty restaurants were okay, not great, but I am an extremely picky person when it comes to food. Service was slow at the Japanese restaurant, but we weren’t in a hurry. I think the Riu has the best buffet I have found at any all inclusive resort. There were many options for dining, so that you didn’t have to eat the same thing each day. I will say that by the last day I was getting tired of the food, but that was my American appetite craving fast food. :)
The drinks were hit and miss, depending on the bartender, but I didn’t find them to be watered down or too strong. Just keep trying different drinks until you find the right one.
Overall, it was a great stay and fantastic girl’s trip. I will be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (6,864)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I went on a trip to meet 3 other couples in the end of April 2013 to Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas. From the very time we stepped out of the airport transport van with Funjet Vacations, we were blown away. The staff was wonderful! Our room was right upstairs from the main lobby and overlooked the left pool over the breakfast restaurant. Our room was gorgeous! We have stayed at certain all-inclusive resorts that when you walk in, the room is muggy. This room was cool, crisp and the floor was clean and not sticky or sandy. Throughout the trip, we both kept saying how we have never seen a resort staff keep grounds so pristine and manicured.

Our room had a cold refrigerator that was stocked with Tecate Beer, Sodas and bottled water (restocked every day and as needed)! Even our balcony was very clean. The pools are gorgeous, and the pool bar staff went above and beyond to meet your every need. Staff were fun and courteous (even wouldn't let you get out of the water to go get a snack- they insisted on bringing it to you)!

We visited most all of the restaurants, and the Italian was our favorite. The steak restaurant was a favorite of some members of our group, as one of the desserts consisted of a brandy liqeuor and flame presentation upon serving.

We saw a few shows which were very entertaining (Grease was awesome)! Nightlife kind of dwindles down a bit after the shows/dinner. There is a "disco" that we went to one of the nights...aside from being silly and on vacation, it is a little cheesy, but fun. Our favorite place to meet every evening was the lobby/piano area bar...awesome service!!

Antonio with Funjet vacations was extremely accommodating with helping us book excursions with our group (no one else was with Funjet). Someone was always at the Funjet desk. We took the daytime tour via boat to the arches from the marina...we really lucked out on this trip because there were no boats that they typically use available, so all 8 of us had the honor of taking a personal pontoon boat for our tour. We also went on the catamaran evening wine/jazz cruise- SO MUCH FUN! The resort had very limited (not so good) choices of wines, so this was a nice evening out with being able to drink quality wines and appetizers.

We were SO extremely sad to leave and come back to North Carolina and cannot wait to visit again... Hands Down, the BEST vacation we have ever had (even better than our honeymoon in Punta Cana- TOO HOT).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sullivan92112
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This our second time at The Riu Palace. We arrived on Friday October 11th and checked out on Saturday October 19th.

We booked thru US Airways tours and every thing went smoothly. They booked ground transportation thru Telamar Tours. They got us to the resort in about 40 min with only one other couple on the van. But on the return trip back to the airport they jammed 4 other couples and their luggage into the van. I think I would reconsider using them again.

Check in went smoothly and we were in our rooms quickly

Having been here before, we knew our way around the grounds, which are extensive and can be confusing for the first couple of days. This made our return much more enjoyable

A few things to ask yourself before booking a stay at the Riu Palace, Cabo San Lucas:

1. Do I expect the same experience as a 5 star hotel at home, if so...stay home
2. Do I demand champagne on a beer budget, if so...consider staying home
3. Can I compromise, and enjoy experiencing a culture different than my own and take
responsibility to make the effort to make vacation the best I can, if so...Book The Riu Palace!!

Whiners, please book the Motel 6's of the world.

This is our second time at This resort. The staff makes this an experience we couldn't wait to repeat. The entertainers, Sergio, Angelo, Eddy and the troupe were always as friendly and eager to please. The Wait staff at the Buffet, the Captain, Alex always greeted us with a handshake and a genuine smile and Ariselli is the most awesome waitress I have ever seen. They both remembered us from our last visit and made us feel like family. The numerous reviews of the hard working staff all are spot on. I have never experienced a more well kept and cleaner resort. The pool waiters and bartenders are fantastic.
We were there during the tropical storm that lasted for a couple of days. The Mexican and the Steakhouse, which are mostly outdoor venues with limited protection for the diners, operated with limited seating causing reduced seating. I was able to make reservations for the Kristol, the more upscale fusion restaurant, but that was the most underwhelming experience of the trip.
During these days the staff worked diligently to squeegee and mop the floors to keep them safe for their guests. We even saw a couple of the restaurant captains in their tuxedos mopping

Now, for the taking responsibility on your own to have a great time;
The buffet had an amazing variety of selections both for breakfast(the only place that serves breakfast on property) and dinner. Due to the reduced seating available caused by the storms, we ate most dinners at the buffet if we didn't go to town. When at the buffet we would stop at one of the bars and bring our own cocktail to the buffet, Ariselli would send one of the busboys out to get us a refill if we ASKED for one. We would fix an appetizer plate of cheese, fruit, vegies and crackers to share. Then go back for an entrée that was different every night. followed by a selection of desert from freshly prepared, cakes, pastries, mousses and fruit... A cocktail and 3 course meal of our choosing.
Breakfast was pretty much the same. A lot the food was the same, but there is so much selection, it is up to you not to choose the same thing everyday, which we saw many do.
It is not all pre made and warmed. There are 3 cooking stations making dishes to order, all you have to do is ASK.
When we checked in the brandy dispenser didn't work. after notifying the front desk the bar keeper showed up and replaced it. I ASKED if we could have scotch in the room and 10 min later he returned with a bottle that stayed in our room for the 8 days we were there.
They only have soda pop in the in room fridge, so I ASKED one of the bartenders for a bottle of Tonic water and limes to make tonic mixers in the room.
If you can't express what would make your experience better, I don't think you have the right to whine and write negative reviews.
Treating staff with respect will also solve a lot of problems, as I saw instances where guests lost their cool and were not satisfied with the outcome.
As others have said, tips will relate your appreciation to the staff, I never saw a lack of service to those that did not tip. The staff excels in making you happy
I understand some have had experiences, such as theft, injury, and natural calamities that they deserve to address and I took them into account when choosing to revisit this resort.

We are looking to return in March with our adult daughters and fully expect to once again have a fantastic experience

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view. If you are not happy ASK for a room change
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hospitalitypro47
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We just returned from a week at the RIU Palace in Cabo! We love Cabo for the weather and
great views. We also feel Cabo is more upscale Mexico.

The GOOD about the RIU Palace Cabo is the location and the view of Lands end. The architecture and setting of the lobby bar is really cool and feels like old mexico. Plus the view from the bar is amazing. The beach is really long and good for walking BUT the chair set up
is not very good if you want to sit in the sand. the chairs were mostly vacant.. score 4

The AVERAGE- The rooms are very small , but the housekeeping does a nice job of cleaning. It's not their fault we had cockroaches. The liquor in the room is not bacardi. beware. Score 3

The BAD- The FOOD was not edible. There is nothing fresh to eat at this resort. I watched them prepare waffles and pancakes in hopes they would put them out. Instead they pile them up behind the counter and let them get cold. Then they put them under the warmers and by the time they are reheated they are hard . It;s the same for all the food. I think they have too many people for the size and staff of the kitchen. The sit downs were maybe a 2.5 - 3.0.
sCORE - 0

The BAD - the pool bars are covered in flies. In fact they have these weird fly bushes that had
literally 1000s of flies on them.. So they enjoyed the bar. They liquor is in bottles with no label.
No clue what they put in those bottles but it wasn't top shelf . The drinks suck. We would try 4-5 drinks to get something that resembled average. the only think I was sure about was the
appleton rum...It was actually appleton. SCORE 0

Stay away from this place...even though the place mostly looks nice and the location is good the HORRIBLE food and drink ruined our vacation.

We all ended up with some burning esophagus think from the rubbing alcohol AKA vodka.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tim s
Reviewed October 19, 2013

It was so awesome there 4 pools right off the beach. The dive shop is so friendly and helpful. The only thing I'd say is the main guest shop they try to rip you off. You have to be on your toes with the money exchange.
They food was amazing. The rooms were always clean. Everything in the fridge is free so you don't have to worry about drinking the water or soda.
They were so helpful in helping us rent a car and directions to where we needed or would like to go

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank CookieNeenah
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The RIU Palace was so much more than we expected. We studied other's reviews for months, so we were expecting to run into some problems. BUT, we didn't have any. We stayed from Oct 5-12. The staff was consistently friendly, they were constantly cleaning the hotel and grounds, and we even had a good experience with security regarding a dumb mistake we made. We had fresh juices every morning with a full breakfast buffet, some beautiful ocean view lunches at the San Jose, and we were able to make onsite restaurant reservations for dinner three nights. Our room was a good size, double vanity sinks in the bath, and a nice-sized balcony overlooking the pool and ocean (2nd floor). Our airport-to-hotel transfer was included in our package, otherwise the cost would have been around $60 US. The drive was approximately 30 minutes. A taxi to downtown Cabo (about 5 minutes, but too far to walk) was $12 US each way. No negotiating. As some others have written, it did seem like the hotel staff discouraged sharing taxis. Maybe there is some family-ran business involved? The pools were fantastic--two large swimming with infinity benches and raised tile beds, two pool bars with in-pool tables and seats and two small kiddie pools. We stayed on the most eastern side (sun rises in the East) and had the pool with all the activities. Activities were mostly in the afternoons, and were fun, not obnoxious. Pool staff constantly checked on us and brought drinks promptly. Being an all-inclusive resort, we did not tip, however, we left something for the smiling young lady who diligently cleaned our room each day. We would definitely return to the RIU Palace.

Room Tip: I don't know if this helped, but we requested a room with a "great view." They put us...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Renee T
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Great honeymoon! We had a really good time at this really nice hotel. The food was great and the service amazing! There was plenty of room in the pools at the bar and within the entire hotel. Extremely clean and great entertainment! There weren't many kids and if they were there there was a daycare they were in. This is a great hotel for couples! It's a little bit more expensive than their sister hotel however much worth the added cost. The only negative was that the mattress it was very firm too firm, but you could get used to it.
I'd highly recommend this hotel to others and I'll be sure to stay here and at more of them around the world!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple