“Nice Stay But........”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with friendly staff. The rooms were OK but the A/C did not work hardly at all. Our rooms were damp with moisture the entire stay. The room keys did not work and it took too long to get fixed. My coffee pot did not work and they never brought a replacement like they promised. The WIFI didn't work very well. The signal was weak and we kept getting kicked off. They had limited mixers to use with the free liquor so we didn't drink hardly anything in the room. The food was good but not great. It took a while to understand the food service program, breakfast and dinner in one room with lunch in another. Overall, it was just OK. We will probably stay somewhere else next time we're in Cabo.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (6,944)

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I are staying at Riu Palace for a week. After staying here for 5 days, I thought it is time to write a review that is fair without jumping in conclusion. The property is well maintained and clean with an amazing view of The Arch( rock formation ). The staff is friendly and attentive. Food is average at best with the exception of Krystal( the french fusion restaurant). I have to say that I really enjoyed our food at this restaurant and we are hoping that we get to book it again for our last night here. My biggest complaint about this resort is the noise level. The entertainment starts at 10.30 AM and goes on for the most of the day with a few breaks. The location of pools in relation to the buildings added to high volume of the mike and the staff yelling in the mike, would not allow you to have a nap in your room in the middle of the day nor hearing the relaxing sound of water crashing to the shore. The only quite time at this resort is early in the morning, that is it, that is all. I am sure if you are here to party, you would enjoy and the noise does not bother you. But if you are here to relax and enjoy the beauty of the nature , this is not the place for you.
My other disappointment was the bed. The mattress is hard and the exposed box spring is so soiled that makes you wonder what is the cleanliness condition of mattress. Truly I am afraid to remove the sheet to find out.
As for the beach, there is a small area with lounge chairs on the sand that is beach view at best. There is a rope separating this area from beachfront and the beach vendors are constantly blocking your view of the ocean and distract you from what you are here for. I understand that has nothing to do with the property but it is something you need to know.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Taveuni70
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Riu Palace was an amazing place to stay. It was probably the cleanest resort I have ever stepped foot onto and the service was absolutely impeccable. Our stay there was at the end of September so it really wasn't very busy--probably added to our experience because of this. The resort itself is beautiful and it is located close enough to town that it's not a big deal to get there ($1.00 by bus each way). Food was delicious and the drinks were premium quality with variety tropical concoctions to choose from.
The only negatives are the undertow on the resort's beachfront--I wouldn't dare swim there and neither did most people and the hotel does not do any dealing in US cash. The front desk will convert Canadian $ to Pesos but US currency is not acceptable. You can tip anyone with US and they won't complain... you can also get some of the staff members to trade some American ones for a five since you can't change up at the front desk.

Room Tip: The best rooms are ocean view of course. If you don't get around well request a room closer to t...
3  Thank travel_hound_65
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I just got back from a wonderful vacation in Los Cabos. We stayed at the Hotel Riu Palace and they truly treated us like royalty. The staff is very friendly and polite. The place is kept immaculately clean. You constantly see them cleaning the place, everything from the floors to the pool to everything in between. We really enjoyed our stay. Everything from our check into our check out was perfect. Definitely want to go back and this will always be our go to hotel while visiting Los Cabos!

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Lady_GG10
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is the third Riu my husband and I have vacationed at, what a fantastic hotel! This hotel is great for couples or families with any age children. The service is great and never ending, food is wonderful with a huge selection and the whole resort is very clean. I originally booked the Riu Santa Fe but was concerned about the reviews I read, so I upgraded 3 days before my departure and I'm so glad I did. The Palace is located on the beach with a beautiful views of ocean, island and mountains. We dined at the Buffet, Steakhouse San Jose and Krystal. Just a warning, Krystal has an appetizer with charcoal oil sprinkled on it...yes, it tastes just how it sounds, like licking the bottom of a weber grill and I can't remember the name of it, I wish I could forget the taste.

3  Thank donna u
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Okay if I could give this resort a 4.5 I would. The workers are non-stop cleaning, maintaining the landscape, pulling out your chairs.......all-in-all it's remarkably clean and the staff works very hard.

There are these restaurants:
El Medano: Buffet
Krystal: Fusion Gourmet
Mar de Cortez`: Steakhouse
San Jose: Mexican at dinnertime, Italian at lunch
Misake: Japanese

Discoteca:
Pacha

Room Tip: I recommend getting the Jr. oceanview suites on the 4th floor.....if you are on the lower floors...
1  Thank StephanieInOhio
Reviewed September 26, 2013

the service was unreal, they made you feel like a king and queen. i even lost my nice blazer one night in the hotel, and they found it the next day for me. the food is great, not too healthy, but it is always available. the staff will find you in the pool and ask you what you will like to drink. the staff is there 24/7 to help you. they have shows at night, people of all ages go to them, they have stuff for kids, they have two pools--one fun one with music and one more mellow. the view is amazing. the water is warm. i will definitely go here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family