“Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas was Great!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Toronto, Canada
“Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas was Great!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just returned on July 5th and loved this beautiful resort.
I've been in many resorts in many countries and this place was definitely one of the best!!!

Great service, great facilities, beautiful set up, many different pools for different purposes. Infiniti pools were gorgeous...swim up bar pools were clean.....very friendly service.....good clean buffet with many options.....decent specialty restaurants....clean rooms with great views and enough space....mini bar with small fridge in every room....it did get restock at least once a day....sometimes twice a day....... I never got up early mornings to book the specialty restaurants and I did have dinner in all 4 of them.
Took water taxi for $10.00 each to drop us off at the lovers beach and then again pick us up in couple of hours and drop us off at the Marina to visit the city........enjoyed it very much!

If you love lobster and jumbo shrimps as much as I do, you should definitely try "Mariscas Macambo" in Cabo.....best $60.00 I've spent for lobster/jumbo shrimp dish for 2!!! Jose, our waiter was the best!

Btw.....the beach isn't the best in front of the resort ..we knew this before booking for the resort and were ok with it.........there is major undertoe current...larger waves..... I did however swim there a few times but do not recommend doing so.....especially if you've had a drink or 2....keep away!

You can always find something that could be a little better and following is the list of stuff I noticed...most of them didn't bother us at all.....
Sometimes, somedays, you could smell something like sewage .....for some odd reason I think it was caused by air conditions somehow.....as soon as you turned the A/C off...the smell would go away.......it was puzzling :)
Wine didn't taste normal to me.....some loved it...some didn't like it at all.
Regular coffee tasted a bit different than what I'm used to ....then again, it didn't stop anyone from having it...cups after cups:)
The sake at Japanese restaurant tasted like vinaigrette salad dressing.....so I tried the green tea instead and loved it :)

I would definitely recommend to anyone over 30 or so, looking for some relaxing time in a great great place, to try this lovely resort.

Also.....do not take Canadian $ as their exchange rate for Canadian $ is rediculus.......take US dollars with you!
Don't hesitate to email me with any questions.

Happy traveling!!

Room Tip: Always Try asking for higher floors if mobility isnt an issue for you.....our ocean front room was e...
8 Thank Mike M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,548)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just came back from cabos and I have to say that this place is great. there are some many things that you can do to keep your family and you busy. now Riu Palace from 1 to 10, I give then a solid 8. as soon as I got to the hotel they give us some drinks while we were waiting online to check in. they took a while to bring our bags to the room but when I call reception 2 minutes later my bags were in my room no big deal. now the room was very clean, everything was working and free mini bar with vodka, tequila and whisky and good beer. the pools are nice there is one with music and live entertainment and the other one is quite if you just want to get a tan or read a book. Now the food is good not great but just good. if you guys want to try some real Mexican food go online and there are a lots of local Mexican restaurant that are really, really, really good. I recommend Edith's restaurant which is only 10 minutes from the hotel, A little expensive but the Food and the drinks are great. The employees at the hotel are very friendly and nice, but if you give them a tip they are even NICER. I know its all inclusive but if you hook them up, they will hook you up. specially the bartenders and Room maids. if you guys are looking for a nice hotel for a good price this is the one, I've visited a lot resorts in Mexico and this a good one for it price.
Have fun Guys
P.S any activities book them with Olympus, they are very nice and profesional

5 Thank xavier867
Costa Mesa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here from July 2-5 for the all inclusive deal. So, here's the breakdown.

- Hotel: The hotel is very nice and big. Go for the all inclusive as it covers all your drinking and eating. The pools are great and the pool service is pretty good. It's a relaxing vibe and if you want more of a party vibe, just head next door to the Riu Santa Fe.

- Food: This is the odd part. Buffet is available only for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast buffet is great and they have fresh juices and will blend your protein/diet supplements in the juices if you ask. The lunch buffet is good as well. Where they really missed is the dinner part. For dinner, you have to dine at one of the 5 restaurants. If you want decent food, you MUST make reservations at 7AM on the day you are dining. Yep, I had to wake up at 645AM every day for this and even when I make it out by 7AM, I am the 5th person in line.
- On our first night, we went to the Japanese restaurant - the worst Japanese food I've had and the service was just a bit better. Furthermore, the red and white wines tasted like it's been left open for weeks. I've never had such a bad dining experience.
- On our second night, we ate at Crystal (the fancy restaurant). The wine is still horrible but the food was good and the service was great. They even lent me a pair of pants when I didn't have one (pants required). The only blemish is when they drop off a survey at our table during dinner and asked us to fill it out. They picked it up before we left our table. Obviously, they still need to learn about service - hand us the survey when we're being seated and pick it up after we leave.
- On our last night, we dined at the steakhouse. Here's is where things fell apart again. The food was decent. However, the service was just horrendous. First, they gave me a dirty napkin that had not just stains, but a piece of food still on it. WTH?. On top of that, it took me 3 requests to 3 different waiters to get a new napkin. Second, we waited over 45 minutes before we had our food. Our seating was 915 and we didn't finish until 11PM and we ate fast. Third, our dessert didn't have the same treatment as the others. Our dessert included brandy (flambe) but they didn't even bother with the brandy. While the other tables had it, we wondered about why we didn't get the same treatment. It was so bad that we complained to the manager at the front desk after our meal.

In summary, the hotel service in general is great. Everyone is friendly and nice. The service at the pools, bars, in-room, breakfast, lunch, and at Crystal were awesome. However, the dining experience really took a hit. I may go back there, I do have reservations about dining there.

Room Tip: Get the all-inclusive and get up early to make your dining reservations. Order room service for dinn...
4 Thank ndtpunk71
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were in Cabo in late March, early April. This was our first visit, and took the advice of friends that have stayed at The Riu Palace. What a great hotel! Awesome beach, clean white sand. Spacious rooms, very clean. We had the garden view, decided to go with a less expensive view, but it still was a great view. We met several people that were third and fourth time visitors of the Riu Palace. Other reviews on other site mention theft in rooms. We did not have that problem, nor did the people we knew had been there several times. Food was decent, typical for all inclusives. If you are unsure where to go stay in Cabo, look no further. Close to downtown, a less than 5 minute cab ride. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank amyashby86
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Two Aussies travel to Cabo.... 3 nights in hot sunny July

Rui Palace overview:
- the hotel/resort is great value for a traveller who is not overly fussy, but keen for a relaxing holiday at a beautiful location for a fixed price.
- It's a massive setup, designed to be all inclusive food and drinks and provides great customer service to its guests.
- There is lots to do, much of which is free /cheap, and lots of adventure close by if you want more excitement.
- I would recommend the hotel for couples, families or groups.

A few negatives...
- security in room - due to bad reviews we read about theft, we didn't trust the in-room safe, so we carried our valuable everywhere.
- gym - machines were ancient and barely usable, this was disappointing because it has a beautiful view and guests were trying to use it.
- wifi - 90 mins per day was promised for free, but other than the first day, it didn't work well. And only seemed to be in the room and lobby. These days guests expect wifi everywhere in the hotel, unlimited!
- mould smell - we checked into room 3044, it looked clean but smelt really bad of mould. We demanded to be moved , and the staff were happy to move us.

DETAILS

The room - (junior suite, ocean view):
- reasonable size, not large though.
- "king sized bed" means two large singles pushed together, with a crack in the middle, which wasn't ideal.
- clean and tidy, including the bathroom. Not overly modern. The TV was the old box style.
- mini bar with full sized bottles of vodka, brandy, tequila and gin. Plus various soft drink and water.
- cute towel animals on arrival was a nice touch
- safe was supplied, but we were reluctant to use it due to trip adviser posts complaining about staff theft.

- overall the service experienced was very good.
- pool areas had constant servers getting drinks. Restaurants/ buffets had attentive servers

Gardens and a facilities
- the gardens and other general areas are immaculate and constantly tended to by gardeners and cleaners
- gym was appalling! They need new machines.
- beauty spa wise, we only used the beach massage, but there were a range of beauty spa packages available, they looked a little pricy, but in line with other hotel spas we've used
- there are 2 main pools, 2 pools with bars and 2 small kids pools. They were all very well maintained and beautiful to be in.
- adventure activities could be booked at reception or at the beach.

Restaurants / meals
- you have a book into the "speciality restaurants" from 7am, which seemed like a pain to us, and we'd heard they weren't that great, so we just used the buffet style restaurants.
- as mentioned in the intro, it's not 5 star dining, but there are lots of options from American, Mexican, Asian etc so you can find something you like.
- TIP - get into the buffet at opening so you get the fresh food

Entertainment
- the hotel offered activities all throughout the day which was facilitated and enjoyed by many.
- The evening production style shows were a little armature in quality, but they put in lots of effort and we thoroughly enjoyed them.

Other guests
- there was a range of ages and nationalities but mostly Americans / couples or groups. There were quite a few there for weddings.
- it's not full of young crazies or anything like that.

Tipping
- didn't seem to be required - but was appreciated. Make sure your very friendly to staff even if you have a bad experience!! They are very hard working and probably don't get paid very well compared to those lucky enough to vacate there.

NON HOTEL TRAVEL TIPS
- you can get a shuttle on arrival for $17 usd each (1 hour) or taxi for $80 usd (35 mins). Hotel can arrange return for $15 usd each.
- use USD, pesos didn't seem to be required
- check out the flea markets , but remember there are no fixed prices and everything's negotiable. It's all the same stuff, so shop around.
- check out the marina - but it's really intense with people trying to get you to buy from them.
- we didn't, but the night club scene was popular but we were told its pretty trashy.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must!! Next time is get the suite rather than junior suite.
5 Thank Joelthemoran
Bossier City, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I would first like to say this was our 1st trip to Mexico, and only our second trip out of the country. Last year we stayed in a Secrets in Montego Bay Jamaica so that is all I have to compare to. The food in the restaurants was AWESOME! We especially loved Misaki, Italiano, and Mexicano! Steakhouse was good, but not our favorite. We didn't get to eat at Krystal. The pools were HUGE, clean, and there were many! All drinks were great, perfect amount of alcohol. Every staff member was amazing...from check-in, customer service, the MAIDS were so awesome...sweet as could be, and so helpful at anything we asked. We felt we could trust them with anything! The buffet was OK, but definitely not my favorite. The sheets were scratchy, and the comforters a little outdated. But when you are out of the room 95% of the day spending time on the beautiful grounds, it's not that big of a deal. My husband got in the water every single day, red flag or not...and he survived...and had the BEST time! We want to come back and bring a group of friends next year!!!! So impressed!!! THANKS RIU!!!!

3 Thank Rachel B
Hooksett, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our room was clean and fresh. Housekeepers did an amazing job.The upkeep of the building was good the pool had a few tiles missing. most staff members speak enough english to get whatever you need. the bar staff and drinks were good and the food was terrific especially in the a la carte restaurants. My only problem was with the on site store that accepted pesos and american dollars. they would give no change in american but took your pesos at a rate of 13:1 to pay and only gave change at a 10:1 ratio. either way you got ripped off a little bit. Also the dive shop attached to the hotel gave me a broken snorkel mask to go snorkeling and offered no refund when i explained it was broken on arrival. When i spoke to the hotel manager she said that they were not part of the hotel nor was the store, however they are both located in the hotel. Over all it was a good vacation. Travel dates 6/25-7/2 2013

Room Tip: We had a junior suite with a ocean view and it was beautiful. Late night noise from partiers is nigh...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple