“Another just OK All Inclusive Resort”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I just spent 5 days there on a mixed business and mini vacation trip. The positives are for the most part the staff there were extremely helpful and courteous. It appears everyone has been trained to say hello whenever you get close. Most probably mean it. The staff is always cleaning. Everything was immaculate. The negatives: The food was below average. We ended up eating dinner out 3 of the 4 nights we were there. We ate in the "Specialty Steak House" the first night and in a word it was just awful. We arrived 15 minutes early for an 8:30 reservation and were told we would have to wait. We finally insisted that we be seated, went down stairs to the restaurant, and it was almost empty. There was a reason for that. The food "steaks" bordered on being inedible. The mini suite that we had was less than the size of a normal Fairfield Inn and like most resorts in Mexico it smelled very musty. We kept the slider open most of the day to let fresh air in. The best way I can describe this trip was it was a Carnival Cruise on land.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We just returned from the Riu in Cabo yesterday and I have never been so happy to be home... Upon arrival the lobby is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. The Epic group was awesome to deal with. We got our rooms and before even opening the door the smell almost knocked me over. It smelled like a musty, nasty, old smell. The rooms are so out dated I have never stayed in such a poorly decorated room. The bed coverings looked as if they were from the 70's worn, tattered and stained. The bathroom tile was so gross it was all mis matched and had mold in the cracks. The television looked like an antique. We had 4 rooms in our party and every one had a smell. One was so bad you couldn't even stand in there so they moved them. We had to leave both of our doors open while we were in the room to air it out. Things only got worse when we went to eat. Wow I didn't think food could taste so bad it was as far as I' m concerned un edible. We went to the mexican restaurant the first night and I literally took 3 bites of food. It looked appealing but the taste was so bad. They also only had wine and soft drinks in that restaurant no mixed drinks. The next day by the pool wasn't too bad. The service was great because we tipped $2-$5 every time they brought us drinks. These people work for very little so we spent a lot of money on tipping. The drinks were all watered down and cheap alcohol. The pools were nice. We preferred the quiet pool as the other one had constant music and games. That night we decided to try the steak house. We arrived 10 minutes before our reservations and there was literally not one person sitting down in the entire restaurant however they wouldn't seat us until exactly 8:45pm. The steak was horrible the lobster was small and dry. The service was good. The next day we tried the lunch buffet. If you like to see people without shoes and shirts on touching the tongs and setting them back in the food you are about to eat this is the place for you. It turned my stomach all I could eat were packaged crackers and ice cream. The food was terrible. It all looked pretty good but the taste was just bad. From that point on our party of 9 ate out every night. We ended up spending an extra $1000 to avoid the food at the hotel. The other negative is it was a $27 cab ride one way to town so by the time you tipped it was $70 round trip every night just to get to another place to eat. The entertainment is a joke. The other added benefit was at night when we went to our rooms after leaving the door open it smelled like food cooking mixed with must. The only good things about this hotel was that it was clean. You could always see someone mopping or cleaning. The staff was friendly and kind. The turn down service every night was nice. I will however never ever return to this Riu or any Riu. I am done with all inclusive hotels.

Room Tip: ocean front and ocean view are basically the same thing. Hotel is set pretty far from the ocean so i...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank lauriechicago
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the Rui Palace at the beginning of January 2013. My husband and I stayed for one week. The hotel was super clean. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the ocean (ocean view). The hotel room was spacious with a nice sized balcony. The room was stocked with 4 kinds of hard liquor and beer, soft drinks and water in the fridge. The beds were firm but I am very picky about beds and these were fine. There were alot of pillows as well as extra blankets in the closet. The service was good with towel creatures on the beds each evening.
The dining was excellent at this resort. The main buffet was really good and each night they had a different special. the staff were very welcoming and pleasant. We sat in the same place each night as we were well looked after by our wait team. During the day the buffet closest to the beach/pools was good as well with hamburgers and hot dogs as well as other entrees. We found the salads and fruit to be very fresh and love the tortilla chips and salsa for lunch. We ate at the (steak) specialty restaurant but found the buffet was better. The pools were really clean and warm, there are two infinity pools (one loud one, and one quieter one). The entertainment was ok for an all inclusive. The beach was clean but not really a swimmer friendly beach as the waves come in pretty hard. We did see some people swimming but not many and I would not recommend this for a family with small children at all. We were aware of that before we left so no big deal for us. Over all I would recommend the Rui Palace and would stay at this hotel again. There were a lot of stairs in this resort, there were elevators and ramps available as well but just so your not surprised. We had no major concerns. The Rui Santa Fe is just behind the Palace and looked quite nice as well, but only had a small beach front area compared to the palace.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank olstead
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here March 5th - 9th and had a great time. The Jr. Suite was spacious and comfortable with an incredible view of the Pacific ocean and Lands End. It took about 45 minutes to walk to the marina. Be aware that you will be solicited by salespeople attempting to sell you various souvenirs and excursions every 30 feet, but they are polite and will take a firm "no" for an answer. The Japanese themed restaurant, Misaki, was good but I suggest you avoid Krystal which is fusion themed. The breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets were good and offered great variety. The staff at this resort are all very accommodating and gracious. We used Tanscabo transfer service which worked out perfectly.

Room Tip: Room 2065 had a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gregrezz
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Loved this place! Everyone was so friendly. The food at the buffet wasn't exactly gourmet, but it wasn't bad either. Breakfasts were pretty good with made to order omelet stations. Dinners at the buffet was acceptable, dinners at the steakhouse and Mexican restaurant were very good. Make reservations a few days in advance. Their Japanese restaurant was pretty good as well but I would recommend the steakhouse and Mexican restaurant. The views are are incredible from the tables while you're dining. Views are incredible from 80 percent of the resort.

The rooms were very clean and nice. Beds could use a little bit of an upgrade, a bit on the hard side. But, never woke up with a bad back or too stiff. Loved the alcohol dispensers in the room. Had a bottle of Cuervo, vodka, rum and brandy in dispensers above the fridge. If you finished of one of the bottles, a phone call will have it replaced in 15 minutes. The fridge was stocked with Tecate, assorted sodas, and water. Same goes on the fridge, a phone call has it restocked right away. And it's all included!

Pools were very big. Not deep. Deepest was probably around 5 ft. Beach was very nice in front of hotel. All sand, no rocks, beautiful. The one thing that I felt was missing was a hot tub, but with the temperatures up around 90, who wants to soak in a hot tub, right?

They have different shows every night to keep their guests entertained. Granted, it's not Broadway or Vegas, but it was fairly entertaining. They have a small nightclub that opens every night.

This resort is more for couples and people looking for a relaxing vacation. The staff aims to pamper you. Next door is a resort called the RIU Santa Fe, which is more suited for singles and younger couples in my opinion. The beach and pool area was much louder next door, more of a party atmosphere.

I highly recommend this hotel. I'll be coming back every year.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Renio
Reviewed March 10, 2013

First of all we are the people that like to complain for the sake of complaining, you read alot of reviews that are ridiculous but this is our review from a couple that enjoys fun more than being treated like royalty.

The hotel room: The palace seems to have all ocean view but if you want the best bang for your buck as for a 4th floor so you don't end up on the garden level, also it will be more quite. The room is nothing to get excited about, the TVs are dated but who really cares, the beds are pretty hard but if you take advantage of the all inclusive supermans and dirty monkeys you will not notice. The rooms in the Sante Fe are the same but with the palace you get room service and with sante fe you don't. Room service is quick and the rooms are clean.

Entertainment: We didn't check out many shows because once you have seen one attempt at Grease night or micheal jackson at other resorts then well let's just say I'm not into that. We did see a ideal couples thing going on and it looked good. There is a disco on sight which we checked out and it was pretty empty but we still had a fantastic time. You can use the disco at the santa fe which seemed more of a party place than the palace. Not saying the palace is boring, it's nice at the palace because it's smaller, easier to get around and if you want quite you can have it.

Food: We ate at the japanese twice, it was really good. You don't have to make reservations for the Japanese either which was nice. The buffet for all meals was great, I am not a picky eater so I don't have many complaints. The mexican resturant was good as well and we didn't go to Krystal because we missed our reservation because we may have had too much fun at the pool that day....lol. The wine situation, the wine at certain resturants was straight up sewer juice, at the japanese we asked for a better wine and they brought out a shiraz and it was pretty good, so try asking for a different one if the first tastes like some bath water.

Pools: Good thing about the palace is you have pool drink service, sante fe you don't. The pool was clean and the weather was awesome so no complaints. Chairs do get taken up but we rolled in usually around 1030 and even if all the chairs we taken a staff member would go get us some from the beach.

Beach/water: The beach has nice white sand, just wear socks if you place volleyball because if not your feet will be hamburger.....trust me. The water is questionable, my buddy and I swam, could your kids or wife swim there, no. If you get past the initial blender of undertoe you can swim no problem......lol. Not recommened but kinda fun if you are a decent swimmer.

Overall: We have been to much nicer places but we paid much higher prices. For the price it is very good. Cons, you have to pay to play pool which was annoying for a all inclusive, the beds if your sober are noticably hard the gym is terrible, no free weights and the equipment is worse than walmart. Pros: Good price, good weather, good service. WOuld I go back.....I prefer Jamacia but for the price etc for sure I would. I would not recommend this resort for kids, if you want to bring kids pick a resort that had a real kiddie pool and play area like beaches or something. In closing if you are deciding between santa fe and the palace. For the couple hundred extra I would choice the palace. There was a fight at the santa fe, clothes of our friends were stolen from the pool area, we partyed with friends there and it was fun but the main swim up bar was packed. If you 25 and looking for a week long party giver, I prefer the ability to relax when you want if and party when you want it.....with some perks. Oh ya there is go karts 5 mins aways (walk) which is cheap and really fun.

Room Tip: 4th floor for the better view. We had 4108 which was center facing the pool. Good room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank raiderscanucksfan
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I just spent nine days at this hotel. I made my reservations thru Funjet. Funjet contracts with EPIC to take care of you while in Mexico.
Hotel: I have visited countless Mexican resorts and this one is the best all-inclusive I have visited, with the best location. Excellent service, food and facilities. Only one negative...if they assign you to a room facing West (looking into the hotel next door)...DO NOT UNPACK....demand a room in another location. The hotel next door is another Riu, but it is very noisy all day long....
Funjet: This is a good company. I have also used Apple. Apple is a little more expensive, but they contact you before the trip making sure everything is okay. If you do not need to have your hand held, go with Funjet.
EPIC: Excellent company, similar to Apple (in Mexico). Absolutely no problems.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple