“RIU PALACE FEB7-14/2013”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our stay at the Riu was very good. People like to read these for the problem so we have just a couple of concerns that might interest future travellers.
1)The Krystals. Don't go thre expecting 5 star rest. Maybe it is just me, but raw fish not my thing. If you do plan n going make it early so you have time to hit the buffet after .
2) Steakhouse. I am from Alberta and enjoy a good steak. I asked for well done, as i sually do when on vaction ,because everybody's med well is different so i like to keep it simple. My steak came med well. I sent it back and they returned with a better staek (well done) and a extra lobster tail. At least thay did something to make it right .KUDOS.
3) Beach.No beach to swim, but a very nice pool ovrlooking the water. They say, you swim you die.retty bad under current. Not hotels fault
My wife and i were sitting there just waiting for someone to ask us what we wanted to drink. Our waiter was to concerned about a table of 4 women beside us to remember to even ask us.
Went into cabo ,walked around. Did the Pirate ship and the Catermanran(?) cruise. Saw whales from bot ships.My advise don't book whale watching tour .You see whale from both of these other ships ,and you get to drinks on these.all inclusive.

Not as warm as PV or Cancun. A little windy , but that's ok. Did not see anyone gtting sunburnt. nicely tanned.
The Hotel it self and staff : Top notch. They get the 5 star rating as do the serving staff in the buffet area and of course never forget your housekeeping. All in all ,a very pleasent experience and a wonderful time .
Thanks RIU TEAM.

Room Tip: 3035 overlooks quite pool area
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Reviewed February 25, 2013

When you look at what you pay, what more could you ask for? Firstly, I would like to echo a lot of positives that others have shared:
- the place is spotless, and always being cleaned by happy, smiling people
- the food is well prepared, and the buffet includes some variety from day to day
- the booze is good if you request the brands you want - and they have no problem with that
- the pools are great
- the people are genuinely friendly and can't do enough for you
- even the beach vendors are polite and don't harass too much.

Other reviewers have complained about the noisy rooms and the smell of them. Here is my experience:
- I think we got lucky and managed to get a good ocean-view room that was on an upper floor away from the noise. No complaints there. We had a lovely quiet room with a view.
- the room did smell musty when we arrived, but we turned off the air conditioning for our entire stay there. We opened our balcony window for a bit of fresh air. By the 3rd or 4th day, there was no more musty smell - at all. We really enjoyed our room after that, and didn't miss the air conditioner.

Finally, the dreaded negatives:
- the house wine is aweful, both white and red. We did find the chardonnay to be barely drinkable, but it wasn't always available.
- the beach is sandy but almost unusable due to the strong currents and soft sand. But the pools are so nice, it almost doesn't matter.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We traveled here last year and had mixed feelings since there were a few negative reviews. We found a last-minute great deal that included flight and hotel and we booked it on the spot. We were impressed with the Riu Palace the entire trip (5 nights). The grounds were immaculate and it was nice to see landscapers out everyday trying to keep it that way. The service was wonderful and everyone was so friendly and wanted us to have a great time. The pool areas were beautiful and it was so nice to have the option to have the entertainment pool when we felt we wanted to hang out with others and do activities or have the quiet pool if we just wanted to relax and not be bothered. The swim-up bars were good and it was fun to chat with other couples and get to know them. The food was pretty standard, but good - if you don't want the same thing over and over (though there are many options), then be sure to book reservations for dinner, which was pretty easy to do for us.

Spent a little time at the sister resort, the Riu Santa Fe, but really glad we stayed at the Palace which was much nicer.

The ONLY negative thing I can say is that the beds were pretty hard and not very comfortable. Luckily we were still able to get decent sleep, but this would have made our stay even better than it already was.

We loved the area and the hotel and would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were there for a company sponsored trip for 4 days. Staff was great except for the front desk. They seemed rather impatient with us and weren't too helpful. The rest of the staff: bartenders, etc, were great! The resort was clean, not a lot of kids...The only real drawbacks are simply the usual in Mexico: cold ocean, panhandlers on the beach (although roped off for 30 feet from the resort), dicey outside the resort. Also it's a VERY large resort and mostly tile so in your room you can hear about every door close/slam/etc. There was also an issue with putting more beers in the room fridge. Very minimall issues overall. Overall a great place though and I've been to Cabo a couple times.

Room Tip: we were on the southern wing overlooking grass...just ask for a room with a view. the resort was qu...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I just got back from 5 days at Riu Palace. I read a lot of the reviews prior to going and most were very correct. The musty smell definitely exists in the rooms and in some halls. A very strong musty/moldy type smell. The place is clean, very clean and they are constantly cleaning everywhere. I wish I could tell you where the smell was coming from, but I can't. The room had a strong musty smell, so we kept the sliding door open most of the time.
The walls are paper thin so you can here everyone who walks down the hall, especially the room service cart. The hot water took about 10-20 minutes to get to the shower early in the morning, so run the water or you're taking a cold shower.
Food, what can I say about the food? If you enjoy buffet food and not good buffet food, you're in for a treat. If you enjoy good food, you'll be disappointed. They try very hard, but always something just not right with most everything. We ate at the Mexican restaurant twice and once at the steakhouse, neither was good and they require a reservation. Make those when you get there, but don't expect much. The steakhouse service was poor, not to mention they brought us the wrong steaks and when I brought it to the waiters attention they went to the other table and swapped plates! Yes swapped plates, even though the guy at the other table was so drunk he kept poking at the potato saying there was something wrong with his Lobster!!! My wife got his plate and asked for it to be replaced, they brought her a new potato!!! The Mexican restaurant had a great review, so we tried it, twice!? I've had better meals at Taco Bell! The Maitre Di came across very arrogant and his attitude reflected, we should be glad to be in his restaurant. It was not a good combination, marginal food and bad attitude.
With all of that said, the service was good everywhere, as long as you didn't ask for anything that was unusual or a specific drink request. Not going to happen. My wife drinks fuzzy navels, couldn't get one even when I asked for it by ingredients. Most of the staff speak English, some better than others. After a few generic poorly made drinks and not so good draft beer, we went to Walmart and got our own. If you like draft Tecate and Dos Equis you'll be in heaven, if not, not so much. That's all they serve. We finally started going elsewhere to eat and drink, so much for the all inclusive, but we couldn't stand it anymore. That's when our trip started to get better, much better.
Facility is clean and the view/location is great, that added a star! Eat and drink elsewhere when you want a good meal and you'll have a great time.
PS: there is a note in the resort information guide about not drinking the tap water in your room. It isn't posted anywhere in the room!

5  Thank coach56
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Being a travel agent I am comparing this resort to others that are listed 5 star all inclusive family resorts in this area.

First impression, as with many other Riu's grand lobby with chandeliers, regal furniture (needs to be cleaned or reupholstered. This resort unlike others gives you FREE WIFI. (Now, you can't get any service near the pool or beach, but your room and lobby works fine). Free Room Service (altho limited items, still free).
Rooms, wow, needs major updating. 1st room smelled of mold, we moved to the other building and no problem. As with other RIU's I have seen (and I have seen most of them in Mexico and the Caribbean) this Palace resort did not have the step down living area as with other Palace properties. Beds were FIRM, TV's very outdated. Liquor Cabinet is customary as with all Riu's as well as a stocked fridge with water, beer and soda. All in all, room was comfortable and had turn down service. (Barcelo Palace did not have turn down service).

Food, limited to 1 for 3 nights, 2 for 5 nights and 3 for 7 nights. Once you get your room #, don't waste time and go to the small desk right next to the check in counter and sit down with her/him to book your dining times, the popular times books up quickly, early bird gets the worm.
Their ala carte vs Barcelo Palace, still part buffet, the salads and appetizers are buffet, the main course is served. Mexican Restaurant on the water was nice and service outstanding.

Buffet servers seemed quick and efficient. Buffet food was good for a family resort (I have higher expectations when it is adult or couples only).

La Ventana - Main bar with stunning views, has pool tables, snack section and of course drinks. Lunch Buffets while I was there was just outdoors, (two locations) no A/C, this can be tough in the summer months.

I have to say being so close to Cabo San Lucas, crowd tended to be 20-30 somethings and rowdier. Chairs were near impossible to acquire if you went looking after 9 AM. There are two mirror like pools, so if you can't find chairs on one side, head to the other side.

When I stayed here years ago I thought what a confusing layout, and I still feel that way. Loved we had top floor view, but man, to get to it was a haul and a game of concentration! =D

Room Tip: Pay the little more to get ocean view. Stay away from Sante Fe property.
1  Thank DonnaLSTRAVEL
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from a week in beautiful Cabo San lucas. Stayed at the Riu Palace and found that although it is a big hotel, it was easy to navigate and find everything we needed quickly.
The staff there are amazing and provide excellent service. There is pool and beach beverige and it seemed to me that a tip was not totally expected, although I am sure they appreciate it when they get one.
There is an excellent selection of food and plenty of cheeses, fruits and salads to accompany a large selection of main courses. They politely greet you at the door and quickly find a table to your liking. Quick with water and wine service. You could sit inside or out and some of the mornings it was a pleasure to sit outside and have a mimosa should you wish.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and service is excellent.
We had a beautiful view of the Arch from our main floor room.
Water taxis are available at the beach and they will take you into town or to the beach for about 5$ each way.
We went whale watching on the ocean riders and saw 6 humpbacks and 3 calves breaching. It as if they are putting on a show for you.
Had drinks and lunch at the Office and that is an amazing beach side restaurant with a beautiful view.
All in all I would recommend this hotel and the area is overall a great place to visit and enjoy.
beautiful view.
The only issue I would address is the echo in the hallways which did affect sleep comfort. People arriving home late should be a bit more considerate.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends