We just returned on Feb 13. We had read the reviews on trip advisor before we went so we were a little a nervous. What we found: upon arrival, the time share vultures at the airport were terrible! They try to make you believe you MUST show them your documents before you can proceed. Our travel agent warned us however to look for our transfer agent ONLY! Upon arrival to front desk, we didn't find them front desk staff over friendly or full of information as previously reviewed on here but the cocktail upon arrival was a nice touch. We requested an ocean view which we did get albeit between the trees. We probably should have said OCEAN FRONT. The rooms definitely could use updating as well as the bedding, and they are very musty smelling. Next time we will bring a plug in air freshener. however they were very clean as well as the entire resort and grounds. The walls are very thin and the hallways have tile floors which are very loud when housekeeping pushes their carts very early every morning. We turned our fan only on our a/c and brought a small fan for our room just to try to drown out the noise. Also above us apparently someone with heels walking on the tile floors sounded like they were in our room. Bathrooms were clean, large and shower was great. I did wonder about elderly people getting in and out of the shower however. There is a grab bar but the bottom of the tub did not seem level but sloped towards the middle of the tub and with tile or granite enclosing the tub, seemed like a large step over to get into the tub.
We liked the choices of the pools with one being the activity pool and the other with no activities and heated. I cannot sit in the sun so having umbrellas and the chairs on the beach in the trees were awesome but those chairs need to be cleaned. They are covered in bird poop. We did take plenty of ones and fives for tipping but honestly, we didn't find tipping the pool wait staff helped to get better service as previously reviewed. We did find tipping the buffet wait staff, we got better service.
The shows at night were good and gave us something to do. We walked the beach to the marina which was kind of a challenge. It took about 45 minutes and the sand/beach is very hard to walk on. The vendors can get old as well but I guess that's expected in Mexico.
We went to a restaurant in downtown. The food was awesome however my hubby LOST his iPhone - somehow We believe it was picked up off the table by the Wait staff cleaning the table. We walked 1/2 block before he realized it was missing and went back for it but it disappeared. We were told by several locals that didn't seemed surprised that people get 300-400 dollars for those phones.
The breakfast and dinner buffets were outstanding (didn't care for the desserts tho) the lunch buffet was good but not near the selection as the breakfast and dinner.
We were told by another vacationer they took a cab to town. The cost is supposed to be 12.00 but they gave the driver a 20. He claimed had no change so they ended up having to pay the 20.00. Their lesson was to ask if the driver has change before taking the ride or have exact change!
All in all this was a very relaxing vacation for us. We HAVE stayed at other resorts with much nicer rooms but they also cost alot more so for the money, I would say this Rui is worth the money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the southern Baja California peninsula, 4.5 km/2.8 miles from Cabo San Lucas. 5-storey building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 32,000 m2 garden. 3.5 km/2.2 miles from downtown Cabo San Lucas. 40 km/25 miles from the airport. 500 m/1650 ft from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners, Discover ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- Riu Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Los Cabos
- Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Los Cabos