“Get ready to get lazy, and eat constantly”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Atlanta, Georgia
“Get ready to get lazy, and eat constantly”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was my first all-inclusive beach resort and it definitely met my expectations. Hands down best part is the gigantic indoor buffet (the outdoor one is just ok). The two giant pool areas were spacious and very conducive to laziness, plus there are plentiful bars with a variety of fruity drinks as well as Mexican beer- hope you like Tecate because that's what they server everywhere. In some of the restaurants you can get others, but Tecate is everywhere and in most cases the only option.

The entrance makes a great first impression - huge colonial style open foyer where the registration desk is - you instantly get a good feeling when you arrive. Our room was huge but the bed was only so-so (namely you can hear the plastic sheets crinkling underneath you). Loved the included in-room bar with liquor, mixers, beer and plenty of bottled water stocked daily. The only slightly annoying thing was our number of clean towels was changed daily - one day we only had two, one day we would have four. One day a single hand towel, one day four - strangely inconsistent but they will of course bring you additional towels if you call the desk. No problem.

We tried the Japanese restaurant our first night and it was average - I knew I shouldn't have bothered trying to get sushi in Mexico. But it was edible. The main buffet is the real gem of this place - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Anything and everything you can imagine and plentiful Mexican dishes which was great for my group who wanted to try local flavors. At breakfast the fresh juice and smoothie bar was awesome.

I got a decent massage and good manicure at the spa and hit the gym a few times as well - it was great to gaze over the beach while you run on the treadmill! The Palace hot tub area was very small and wasn't heating up for some reason when I was there so I recommend making reservations at the connected Riu Santa Fe resort - walking distance and the hot tub was more than twice the size.

There seemed to be lots of activities during the day and on-stage entertainment at night which is fun and lively. If you're feeling ambitious you could walk down the beach into town, but it's easier to take a cab - about $12USD. I like a little adventure and exploration in my vacation so we went into town several times during our stay - and had some excellent street food there, not to mention some fun bars like Squid Roe and the Giggling Marlin. Even if those aren't your typical scene, it's worth a drink or two to see how crazy it gets! Also some good restaurants in town if you want to mix it up a bit and get away from the resort fare.

All in all I would recommend Riu Palace to anyone looking for a solid, clean, safe all-inclusive in Cabo - the kind where you don't have to leave if you don't want to, you don't have to spend extra $$ if you don't want to. It felt like a great value for us. Also good for groups - I went with my boyfriend and another couple and it was great for both alone time for us, and hanging out with them.

One odd incident we encountered seemed a bit out of the blue but I feel compelled to mention it here - one night we came home after gorging at the delicious buffet and noticed several drops of blood on our floor. We hadn't been back since the room had been cleaned earlier in the day, so it definitely wasn't our blood :-/ which could only mean one of the cleaning staff must have cut themselves or got a nose bleed or something, it dripped on the floor and then they walked in it because it got tracked through the room and bathroom as if on the bottom of someones shoe. A little disconcerting to say the least. We called the front desk and they sent a cleaning staff member to take care of it - which was prompt although all she did was mop it up (no cleaning fluid or bleach which would have made me feel better). So that was weird. But the only bump on our otherwise smooth ride.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for an ocean view room if you can - it's great to wake up and see the ocean...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EmilyER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,622)
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2013

It's Jan 12, 2013. We've been here for 1.5 days. I'd like to address a few of the concerns I had before coming here incase other travellers have the same concerns before their trip.
1. $$ We came with all American money. Prices are given to you by all merchants in American funds. They accept american bills. They give you change in American funds, not pesos. Don't worry about getting pesos if you are coming to Cabo.
2. I had to see a doctor. There is one provided right on the resort. She was a wonderful lady doctor who spoke perfect english, explained things well to me, asked me numerous times if I had any questions. My prescription was delivered right to our resort. The consultation was $80.00 american plus $11.00 tax. My prescription was $40.00 american. They show it all on the medical report. They also show the conversion to pesos on the report so when they put it through on my credit card I knew exactly what to expect to see on the machine. It was all explained completely to me. $1 american = $13.00 pesos.
3. We travelled with Sunwing. Our flight attendants explained the process of getting off the plane, who we were to look for when we landed in San Jose del Cabo. When we arrived the Sunwing reps had signs, they were very pleasant and quick to get us on the bus and on our way to the resort.
4. While driving to the resort our sunwing rep explained and clarified so many things to us. One thing he was clear on, if we have any questions, problems, issues, come to them. They are in the lobby daily from 8:30 - 6pm. They will do whatever they can to help us out. Noisy room problem, they'll see what else is available for us. I talked to them about needing a doctor. They helped and wanted to know later how I was doing. We booked our excursions through them. They are happy, pleasant, friendly and a joy to work with. They really are there to see that we enjoy our holiday and they deal with any difficult details.
5. Bed bugs - we checked both our mattress and the people's we are travelling with. None!
6. Moth infestation - well I think so far I have seen a total of 4 moths inside the hotel itself and that is only in the areas open to the outside. There was one in the lobby, and two in the main bar...oops maybe only 3. There are some pretty moths outside that almost look like hummingbirds landing on the flowers by the pool during the day but again you might notice one every hour or two. Definitely not an infestation.
7. Watered down drinks - you want them stronger just ask. They are happy more than happy to oblidge
8. Good service - our servers have been friendly, happy, fun, and work for their tips. Far surpassing any service I've experienced in Canada. I had a small bug land in my glass of wine when eating outside at supper last night. Set my cup to the side not sure if I wanted a replacement. The young waiter came over, set down and poured me a new glass and took the other without even a word to me. That I felt was excellent service. He was watching our table for sure. Breakfast was the same. If you just turn your head looking around for something our waiter was there asking what we needed. And when I see the waitress by the pool running with a tray of drinks, she's working for her money. Goodness, no need to run. But that's Berta. She's a sweetheart and she takes excellent care of her customers.
9. We were here in 2011 and the entertainment team now is just as fun, friendly and enjoyable as the team was then. They do a good job making conversation with the guests, dancing with guests and entertaining us. My husband won bingo at the pool yesterday. His prize....a house and a cow! LOL. They are awesome
10. Central air works great.
Riu Palace is just a wonderful place to feel completely relaxed and pampered.

24 Thank candidcanadian4510
California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

After reading lots of negative reviews (and good ones too) I was a little nervous about what our trip would be like.

Check-in - quick and easy; we requested a higher room for noise, and then accomodated us after 2 nights, but not without some attitude. The front desk staff (including concierge) were my least favorite.

Rooms - a bit outdated, but clean. You don't spend too much time in your room so it wasn't a big deal. Walls are thin. Our first neighbor blasted cartoons at 6am, but after we moved, it wasn't too bad. The hallways get loud at times. Bring earplugs!! Appeciated the nightly turn down service.

Food - SO much better than I expected. I'm a self-proclaimed foodie, and was surpised at the quality of food here. Breakfast buffet was delicious, so many options. Lunch buffet was okay. Ate at the Italian/Mexican restaurant for lunch on the last day, wish we had done that sooner. The food was much better there. Ate at Kristal and the Steakhouse. They were okay but not great. Food at the buffet was better and each night they had a theme with lots of options. I think going back I would just do buffet. The desserts were okay. Had ice cream nightly with lots of toppings, yum. Drinks are MUCH bettter in the upstairs lounge. Enjoyed tequila shots one night!

Pool - Have to get up early to get a chair (thanks mom). Poolside drink service was great, even better if you tip. Lots of the fruity drinks tasted weird, so I stuck with a caiparina (lime, sugar, and rum).

Activities - the shows at night were fun to go to, and I especially liked Michael Jackson and Broadway. During the day, we tried to get involved in volleyball, bingo, and crazy games, but the staff was not great about getting people involved. One was too busy flirting with the teen girls most of the week. So activities during the day were a disappointment, but at night, very fun.

Beach - We did not go in the ocean because of high surf. The beach is nice but hard to walk because the sand was so deep. Walked from town one day, probably wouldn't do again, lol.

Other things: easy to get to town, $12 cab ride each way. Tried an off-site restaurant that was my fav meal of the week at Hacienda Cocina. Did snorkeling through scuba caribe, which is located below the Riu. Had a good time even though the waves were huge. Marie, our guide, was AWESOME. We loved her. Had a massage at the spa, it was great as well. They have a downstairs treatment area and my therapist was excellent. The hot tub was located in the spa, and you have to reserve a time there, but don't bother. It's not hot!!

This place is great, would go back. First time to Cabo. Loved it all.

Room Tip: Upstairs away from the entertainment. We had 4004 and were pleased.
6 Thank dreyer
Reviewed January 10, 2013

scroll down to the bottom if you would like the Summary of this hotel,

This is the third Riu I have stayed at and sadly it will be my last.

My boyfriend and I stayed here Dec 27-Jan 3. Having stayed and 2 Riu's prior to this I knew what to expect.

Check-In: The lobby was nice and the check-in was simple. We booked out trip through Sunwing and they present you with your key when you arrive at the airport.

Room: One of my biggest issues with the Riu chains are the beds, not only are they hard as rocks but the King bed is two Doubles pushed together. I had to call and ask them to make the bed for a couple and not as two separates. This meant putting a thin blanket under the sheet, that really did nothing. Normally I would not complain about the television or internet access , but we had the unfortunate experience of only having TWO nice days of weather. Watching tv on something from the early 90's and trying to access WIFI with a password that you have to get from the front desk was very annoying. It's 2013 even if people do not spend a lot of time in the room it shouldn't feel like 1995. The washroom was clean and also a good size for 2 people. The Room that we were in was on the 1st floor and the echo from the hallway was TERRIBLE it as very difficult to sleep in the room . Even with the door closed I would often get woken up in the middle of the night by people talking in the hall or closing a door.

Pools: There are 2 large pools at this resort . One of them is where most of the action happens, they play loud music and do most of the pool activities such as water aerobics and volleyball. The other pool is much more quite and laid back . If you are traveling in a large group I would highly recommend going down early to put towels, even if you are not supposed to, most people don't obey this rule and you will end up having no place to sit ! If there are only 1 or 2 of you , you can tip a pool server to drag a few chairs over to an empty space.

Beach: The Beach was nice but a bit annoying having people trying to sell you stuff all the time. They do put ropes to keep them out but you can still hear them yelling things. This is how it is down the entire beach so just be prepared to ignore the vendors if you choose to go on a walk. The water is quite rough but there are people that swim in it. A lot of people really enjoyed riding the waves and body surfing. I wouldn't suggest if for young children or weak swimmers. I consider myself a pretty strong swimmer and I had a difficult time getting out of the water. If you walk down the Beach a bit it seemed to be less rough .

Food: With any all-inclusive hotel I am never really expecting great food . There was one main buffet that you could have breakfast at, it had a lot of options but closes at 10:30am, if you plan on sleeping in you have to go to the other buffet that has 1/3 the amount of food. The lunch Buffet is mediocre with most people lining up to eat frozen burgers and pizza . As a vegetarian I found myself eating a lot of french fries and cheese pizza. We chose to have most of our dinners out of the resort. Cabo has some AMAZING restaurants and a great nightlife I would highly recommend leaving a few times. The concierge can help you book these, or use opentable. Do NOT use the phone in the room for local calls, it is a fortune .

Service: The service at the hotel was OK. I found the servers that work around the pool to be very good , I didn't have to get up and walk to the bar many times because they were coming around quite a bit. The service in the 2 buffets with minimal. A lot of the people working in these dining areas really tried to create relationships with people they thought would tip them well. The first night we got there we had a server tell us to make sure we always sit in his section and he will " take care" of us. We did not , so we didn't get the royal treatment. Most of the time the plates were cleared and we had water but that was about it. Any time I called the concierge with a problem they would send someone to the room right away, I really appreciated that .

Summary:
The food was fine but I got really tired after the first few days. We did not try the specialty restaurants but I assume they were the same as the other 2 Rius I have stayed at . I highly suggest trying places in town for great food
The atmosphere was relaxed, if you really want to stay at a RIU and you are looking for a hotel with a good party scene I would try the Riu Santa Fe next door, it seemed to have more young people. OR a different hotel chain .
The room was average, the bed was horrible and the echoing from the hall was unbearable at times.
Service was good, if you tip well , it is better.
I loved Cabo but not this Hotel !

Room Tip: Try not to be on the first Floor and you don't want a view of the pool that plays music
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jlea4
Strathmore, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We usuallly stay at the Riu Santa Fe which is a fine place, on the same property, but decided to try the Palace after friends suggested we try there. Best decision we made. It was just that much better. From our arrival to departure all the staff were wonderful. The buffet food was good with lots of choices for everyone. The on site restaurants were fairly easy to access. They say you need a reservation, but they are not always full and with good timing we had no problem getting a seat. The food at these speciality restaurants was always worth the wait, we found the Fusion and Japanese dining (way more than just suhi) the best of all and the easiest to get a table.
After leaving a tip 50 to 100 pesos ( not required ) this made return seatings much easier for us.
Getting around is easy as they have taxi service at the front door or public transport at the main gate.
Overall this was the best place we have stayed in Cabo.

Room Tip: up-grade to a full ocean view worth the few extra $$$$
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Westcoastguy_10
Piedmont
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our Family of (2) twenty-something Daughters, two teenage sons, Mom and Dad (6 total) had a fabulous first time at this Beach Front, inclusive resort. Check-in was a piece of cake, and we were happy with our adjoining, 3rd floor rooms. No, we didn't get a "full ocean view" room, we got what we paid for....a beautiful "partial view."

When the Bell Hop asked if we were happy with the rooms, my Daughter mentioned that we enjoyed dark beer.......and amazingly....a case of Indio Dark appeared, and was divided between our two bar fridges. Interesting touch of supplying Bacardi, Jose Cuervo, Smirnoff, and El Presidente Brandy in each room. I do confess to drinking a snifter or two of Brandy. Wife was happy with the bathroom, safe worked, bed was fine, and the TV was small but adequate. Hey, who's hanging out in the room, other than the 16 yr old?

Warning-Warning Will Robinson....5 pound weight gain at the inclusive Buffets and specialty restaurants! Who could resist Breakfast with abundant smoked salmon, Bloody Mary Bar, Vitamin Smoothies, endless fresh fruit, pancakes, omelet station.........well you've got the idea.
Lunch Buffet was nice, but our favorite, secluded, view-of-the-Bay-to-die-for-veranda, secret, on-site restaurant will go unnamed. Well...I forgot the name, but it serves fish, fruit, and pastas. Wine at all restaurants, were solid reds or whites from Chile, beers are local. Yes, I waited in line at 7:00 am, to make reservations at Crystal and the Steakhouse, but no worries...
they were great. The Japanese Restaurant is first come, first serve, so..we got there at opening
(you know...early bird). We had a very good meal. My wife's Tempura was beautiful, our fish was great, son and I enjoyed the sushi (OK, not like in San Francisco, but served nicely in a attractive atmosphere). Waiter overheard my Daughter ask me, if I ever had a "sake bomb."
When I plead ignorance, he smiled and quickly set glasses of beer in front of us. Chop sticks were laid on top of the glass, and Sake cup carefully placed on top of them. Table drum roll.....
and all in unison yelled "sake bomb," slapped the table top with both hands.....and the sake drops into the beer. Well, at least 4 out of 6 did. Yes, the fellow patrons were....surprised...but our waiter was game. No worries, we were happy.

Evening Entertainment starts with a Kids Show at 8:00 pm, then us big folk would come in at 9:00, to see a variety of acts. Heard the "Michael Jackson Show" was outstanding, but we missed it. The Mexican Folklorico was good, in no small part, because the cast seemed to be enjoying themselves. We loved the "Mama Mia Night" as did a multitude of "mature" women.

Pools are beautiful, but 7:00 am when the towel shack opens, people are claiming their spots.
Loved to hang out in the water at the infinity edge and look over the Bay and all the action. One day, I saw quite the crowd, on the beach in front of the resort. Walking over, I was surprised to see the Lifeguards (red flagged beach) collecting newly hatched turtles. A few hours latter, we watched them scurry down the beach and into the ocean. Wow!

The resort manager Yvonne (a Teutonic Beauty) and her always "muy amable" assistant, Nicolas, run a tight and efficient ship. Though tipping is not required, Human Nature says it helps. Bring lots of US $1 + $5 bills. Spread them around daily to your waiters, house keepers, pool boys, and bartenders. Smile, say please (por favor) and thank you (gracias). The Golden Rule may be corny, but you'd be surprised at the dividends it pays.

9 Thank ThriftyScotsman
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Second stay here at the Riu Palace and we had a fantastic time. Here are some tips that should help you have an amazing time.

TIPPING? We all understand that this is an inclusive property, but a small tip to some key players at this hotel will go a long way. You don' HAVE to do this...but the staff are so appreciative and they really feel special and recognized for their hard work. They will really go the extra mile for you!

WHO TO TIP? Head Maid, Concierge (for dinner reservations ), Restaurant servers ( If you eat in the main buffet you will probably get to know your server for the week and small tips will keep them extremely attentive to you)

LEARN THE LANGUAGE! Remember that you are visiting Mexico. The staff does know English, but it is not their native language. Learn some key phrases like Thank you, Please, Can you please bring me ______ etc. It will really help to build bridges and make the experience more memorable:)

HOW IS THE BEACH AND CAN I SWIM?

There is a great beach outside the RIU Palace and it is a great walk that leads all the way to the port in the city. There are strong currents at times, but you can definitely in for a dip. Clean, nice sand beautiful!

HOW IS THE FOOD?

I have to say that I thought that the food was very good for an all inclusive property at this price level. Here are some tips.

Breakfast

In the main dining, the buffet is amazing. Lots of variety and you can't go wrong.

Lunch - Most people go the outside buffet for lunch, but most people don't realize that there is a second option for lunch. For a more intimate and quieter experience go the Italian restaurant that overlooks the ocean. Amazing food and very relaxing. Open from 12-3:30pm.

Dinner- Most people just go the dinner buffet and miss the smaller restaurants that are truly amazing! The Kristal is a french fusion restaurant that has some really amazing food. Try the vegetable ravioli for starters and the Salmon for the main meal! Also the steak house at this property was top notch! How good was it? Well we dined at Ruths Chris in town last year and also at the hotel's Steak restaurant and the food was equally delicious at both! Now there isn't a higher compliment that I can pay this restaurant than to compare it to Ruth's Chris. I had the tenderloin that came with a lobster tail. Perfectly cooked and so moist. WOW. They also had prawns and crab legs for starters.Both the steak and and Kristal restaurant require reservations, but trust me it is WELL worth it!!!

ASK FOR FRESH FOOD! Sometimes the food in the buffets have been sitting for a while and gets tough and cold. Ask for some fresh food, they are usually happy to do this for you:)

HOW ARE THE ROOMS?

To be very honest, the rooms have aged and could use a facelift. But they were clean and we had a great view. Bathrooms are large and have good lighting. Very clean. I should also mention that the bar and bottled water was free and well stocked at all times. It can get noisy at times if your room is close to the Disco or entertainment area, so request a quiet room!! They also offer 24 room service with a limited menu. All part of the all inclusive. I ordered the Turkey club and fruit platter and the quality was very good.

HOW WAS THE ENTERTAINMENT?

The entertainment was really not that great this time around. They should spend a little more time creating memorable shows.

HOW WAS THE SERVICE?

The service here was truly exceptional. We found that all of requests were looked after. Of course it helps if you can offer a small tip to the staff. It doesn't have to be much, but they really do appreciate it and will treat you like gold!

HOW ARE THE PUBLIC SPACES?

The public spaces are really stunning and well looked after. From the pools to the lounges. it really is beautiful!

Hope is review has helped you! We will be back at this property again for sure!!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the disco!
23 Thank traveling_gourmet_bc