“good time”

Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Kelowna, Canada
“good time”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I don't know what Riu the complainers stayed at... It couldn't have been the palace in Cabo. My wife and I , along with our thirteen year old son stayed at the Palace from Dec 20 th to 27 th 2012. We had a great time. The staff are very friendly and eager to help in anyway possible . Our room was very comfortable and clean ,the servers around the pool were plentiful and really accomodating. We would book this hotel again without any hesitation. M.K N ..Kelowna

2 Thank mal f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,607)
  • Polish first
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just returned from staying at this hotel, where we had 3 rooms for a week during Christmas 2012.

First the PROS:
• Very clean hotel. Absolutely no complaints here. The hotel was constantly being cleaned and maintained.
• Very friendly and helpful staff. From the Front desk to the wait staff, almost all were very helpful and seemed to enjoy their jobs.
• Great Spa (need to reserve the only hot tub in the hotel in advance); pool and pool bar are great
• Food quality is way above average in the main buffet room. Lots of choices and good quality.

The CONS: I am usually very flexible and rarely complain, but………

• Dinner reservations! You must make reservations at 3 of the 4 restaurants onsite by standing in line at a table that may have 40-50 people in line……everyday! REALLY? You pay this kind of money and you have to stand in line for a reservation – unacceptable.
• Stood in line and baring got the last reservation for their top restaurant – Krystal. Arrived at 7:45pm – didn’t even have our napkins on our lap and the food starts arriving! We’ve had longer dinners at a fast food restaurant…really! By 8:00pm, we were on the entrée…unbelievable! We were asked to hurry up and take our wine in a go-cup so they could clean up the tables….really?
• Had a reservation at their “Steak House” restaurant for 4 people. Early in the day, I requested to make it 6 (daughter and husband wanted to dine with us). NOT POSSIBLE! They refused to add 2 chairs to our table or get us a larger table. I spoke with the Manager, still not possible. I explained I need 2 chairs and 2 plates…..this is after spending 1000’s of dollars to stay here for a week!
• As other reviewers noted …..a musty smell in the rooms. We had an ocean front room and I’m very aware of the natural smells associated with nature and the beach /ocean but this was just a plain old musty smell you have in an old house.
• BE AWARE: the towel cards handed to you at check-in need to be returned when you check-out or you’ll pay $20US per card.
• The chair game: you must go to the pool early in the morning and throw a towel/t-shirt to reserve it for the day. NICE……I saw some chairs “reserved” all day and no one used them. Obviously the hotel needs more chairs for guests.
All in all, an average place to stay. There are other places to stay that are less of a hassle. We will not go back.

4 Thank BigDutch_27
Discovery Bay, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I spent his 65th Birthday at the Rui. We had a Junior Suite Ocen Front View that was spectacular. The room was clean and the maid service excellent. Everday, our mini bar and bathroom ammenities were replenished. Once in a while we would hear doors being slammed or people talking to loud while walking past our rooms late at night. For a resort that was all inclusive, I thought the food, beverages and customer service were of a 4-5 star caliber. We especially enjoyed the Krystal and Steak and Seafood Restaurants. The only issue that we had was the process that we had to go thru to make reservations which only the conciere handles. She always had long lines. By the time it was your turn to talk to her, all of the days and time slots were full. We ended up taking either the early first or late last sitting. I would recommend booking a restaurant reservation the minute you get your room key instead of waiting.The bars offered high end tequilla, vodka, rum and brandy not to mention daily drinks of the day. We spent most of our time in the large second pool away from all the action at the main pool. It was very relaxing. We loved the 24hr room service. We used it early every morning to eat a light breakfast before playing tennis. The evening entertainment was good and Not something that we really wanted to stay and watch. The female MC was too loud and we could hardly understand her. They had tributes to Michael Jackson, Vegas, Mariachi and Trio night. After that, they had a nightly disco dancing. The gym was quite small and if you wanted to use the coed hot tub in the spa, you needed an appointment. On our third day there, we were told the spa was broken. The gal at the desk called the Santa Fe Manager and she got us in right away. Wow, what a difference in locations. The Santa Fe had a huge spa that was secluded and surrounded by beautiful plants, soft music and a mixture of cold green tea to drink. The steam sauna was amazing. That is the only downfall that the Riu has is that the Santa Fe Spa beats them hands down. The beaches were clean and the best part was that we were not disrupted by beach vendors. We loved our trip. The weather was perfect. We plan on going back next year to stay for 10 days instead of 7.

Room Tip: Jr. Suite Rooms facing the beach is the way to go. You may be paying a little more for the room, the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AMAH1645249
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was pretty happy with the service, food and the cleanliness of the hotel. If you want to get into any of the restaurants, book first thing in the morning. The Crystal restaurant is very good, but the portions are small. The decor is a bit dated but nice if you don't have huge expectations. The beds are really firm and the pillows are a bit thin. There were people of all ages from college kids to retirees. Good mix overall. The frat house party scene is next door at the Riu Sante Fe. I had a great time at the clubs downtown and hanging on the beach and at the pool. Its nice that there was 2 swim up pool options a relaxing one and active one. I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view - it will have a nice breeze. Cabo isn't not extremely hot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CeleneAndGordon
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I are here for Christmas holiday December 25-31 the ocean view suite is nice and clean. The tile flooring creates a problem with echoes from the rolling of the housekeepers carts to the echoes from the guests not practicing he use of their inside voices. To the clicks if their high heel. The doors slam and wake you from your sleep. Their must not be much insulating in the walls. I can here every conversation from guests passing by. My room 2040 is attached directly to a bridge and looks over he pool hat is wear much of he fan fare is coming and going at night .

The food has missed the mark, low grade even at their main dining room Krystal's. The wine selection. Is horrible reminds you very much of 2 buck chuck. The food is not prepared fresh it is prepared way ahead and my guess microwaved . I expected much more and paid for much more . I am truly underwhelmed .

The grounds are beautiful to get peace and quite it is easier to stay by the pool or beach.

The bar tender Miguel serves a good drink and friendly and a breath of fresh air.

The gym opens at 7 not 6 which it should because I gets quite crowded. The spa is pricey but the staff do a good job.

Rui needs a reality check and make some chances before I would return or recommend it to my fronds and colleagues

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank traciemacau
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family and I spent the week at Riu Palace (Ages 22, 25, 52, 54) Exceptional service, great view, amazing weather. This was a perfect Christmas vacation. Would recommend this to all ages. Very accommodating. Offer great amenities with ideal hours. Offer different food choices and you must make a reservation at restaurants. This made everything more personal and allows wait staff to service you at a higher level.

3 Thank Kt7890
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The service overall was great! For the amount if money paid, I did not think the food or drinks were up to par. We enjoyed some outside activities which were fantastic! The rooms are musty and the weather is a bit chilly in Cabo. Overall I'd give the hotel a 3.

Tip: book your return shuttle to the airport at the resort. It's $15 pp rather than others that are $22 pp. The whale watching, parasailing and zip lining (if you're in shape and don't mind hiking) are additional activities to try.

• Stayed December 2012
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!