“All inclusive, but what do you want to include?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #30 of 69 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Chicago, Illinois
“All inclusive, but what do you want to include?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Pros: great property which is cleaned almost constantly by a vigilant staff. Bartenders and staff are friendly event to those who doesn't speak fluent spanish.
Cons: room service is beyond terrible (club sandwich is the only option one can eat). Drinks are watered down, but then again it is probably for the best at a resort that costs the same all inclusive as a normal Conrad or JW in the States.
Being me second time at this resort I did not dine in the restaurants, but rather the Buffett and Santa Fe for the reception. They were adequate, but not as good as the food I had my first time there.
Beware of ATM fees- got stuck with a 24 USD surcharge on a simple ATM withdrawal, but then again chalk it up to user error as I was enjoying Piña y Vodkas.
If you're on a budget I recommend...but if you want to do it right then head to a chain and dine/drink at the local establishments.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. First time there I tipped and got a nice one, this time I tried to tip and they...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank JimJ321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,425)
  • Polish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel has fantastic view and facilities. Room is clean except there is no light at the bathtub and the fridge is noisy. Great entertainment activities. However, please expect the services are extremely SLOW!! If you ever need any changes to be made by the hotel, please expect you will need to wait at least 30 minutes to an hour waiting time. I had to go to the reception desk twice for them to figure out that my room's lock was out of battery. I had been waiting for the maintenance guy an hour to get the master key and to get him figuring out the problem. I was tired and I wanted to go to my room and get a shower. I wasn't expecting that I had to wait for an hour to get into my room after a long day. I would have to say you cannot expect the professionalism and excellence from this hotel. I spent 5 days there and never see a manager are working on site.
I am not satisfied with their customer service. The first time I went to the reception desk about the door would not open, the staff could blame it on me putting the card key too close to my credit card and my phone, it would de-magnify the card key. Where would you put it then? I don't want to lose it and pay for another 250 pesos for that.
Overall, the hotel is nice. It will be fine if you have not caught into anything that needs to be changed. The hotel has great selection and varieties in food except qualities are not that great. I have tried the food at the Marinar (Downtown), they are much nicer although it's pricy (WORTH it !!). I am sure the hotel can do much better in management as such one of the largest hotel.

Room Tip: Level 3 and 4 are the ocean views. Level 0, 1, and 2 are garden view and the garden view not as grea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Anna C
Stevens Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was our first visit to Cabo. The Riu was wonderful. We had no delays checking in, and our room was even ready early. We had a jr. suite; great view. The room was very clean and nice. The grounds and pools are well maintained. The staff is wonderful. The food was excellent with a great selection. The entertainment was phenomenal. The Palace was well worth the extra cost over the Santa Fe. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We had a free upgrade to a jr. suite. I would happily pay the extra for this type of room. I think...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deeann D
Carrollton, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace October 28 to November 2 of this year. We absolutely loved it! Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we had a couple of cocktails at the bar while we waited. The view of the ocean and Land's End from the lobby is unbelievable. It's so peaceful and relaxing. Our room was on the first floor - very conveniently located for the pools, restaurants, etc. We enjoyed the food at the different restaurants - no complaints about any of them. The hotel staff was always extremely helpful. I've read some of the negative reviews about this hotel and I think those people would probably have a bad time wherever they went. If you have a good attitude and realize you're in a more laid back place, you'll have a great time. We plan on staying here again next year.

Room Tip: We liked our room on the first floor - it was easy to get to everything.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tammy C
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Terrific 14 days at RIU Palace. Top of my list : - wonderful staff and an incredible quality of customer service - we were impressed. My wife's school-days Spanish was an Amazing Advantage - we had, and we were TOLD we had a very different experience to the normal BECAUSE of the willingness to make an effort to speak Spanish - do your community college classes before coming. Pluses - superb staff and high standards of accommodation, food and facilities. Negatives - not safe to swim, NO in-house shuttle to town ( stupid $$ by cab), lousy house band with tacky midi tracks. Compared to cruise ships- we soon ran through the activities and then had to be creative- travel to other places or just do what a lot of people did - drink till stupid. Positives : staff and food and facilities and the show dancers - wow!
Negatives - soon became stir crazy, not enough sophisticated activities, some stuff was amateurish, tempting ocean that is dangerous.
If you want safe food, alcohol a-plenty, great staff and lots of human flesh - this is it. If you want meaningful culture - go somewhere else. 8 out of 10 -- LiamGtr6 Canada

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank LiamGtr6
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here, Rooms were clean and staff were very friendly. The beach was not great for swimming as the surf was rough and we were told it was not recommended. Great location as it faces Lands End Rock . went snorkling there ,great trip from the Marina, wonderful beaches at this location. Attented Mexican flee market near by. Many cruise ships in harbor. Hotel offered great Entertainment each evening and during the day the bar boys were very attentive around the pools. Food was good, Buffet offered a good variety. Would return again!

Room Tip: Ocean view from 2nd and third floor amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Mustang123
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the RIU Palace in January 2012 with 7 other friends. As a Travel Agent I can say this is one of the nicest resorts I've been to. The grounds were kept very clean, as were the rooms. We found the staff to be incredibly nice, fun and accommodating. One of my friends was celebrating her birthday while we were there and the staff went above and beyond to get a cake from the kitchen and surprise us with it along with a bottle of champagne. The food was sensational in all of the A la Carte's, as well as the Buffett Resaurant, especially on Chinese night. I have never seen so much sushi at one time! The lay-out of the resort is fantastic with 2 pool, separated by the "snack bar" lunch buffet. One was the "party" pool, the other the "quiet" pool. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort and I look forward to going back. Flight Centre - Susan Spurr - Unbeatable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends