“Great Place to Stay”

Hacienda del Mar Los Cabos
Ranked #24 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed November 10, 2007

We went on our first time to Los Cabos Mexico in June 2007. My wife and I traveled with our 2 children, ages 2 and 9. As such our trip lacked any real exposure to the nightlife for which Cabo is famous.

We stayed a total of nine nights: Seven at the Hacienda Del Mar (Time share) which shares facilities with the Sheraton and 2 at the Sheraton.

Arrival & Getting to the Hotel:
We rented a car as we did not want to be tied down to the hotel. The cost ended up being about the same as if we had taken cabs but we didn’t have to wait around. Its called Premium Car Rental Protection Coverage.

Insurance: Our auto policy did not cover rental cars in Mexico once you went 50 miles past the U.S. border. Even though our AX card indicated that they covered any damages not covered by our auto insurance, we opted for signing up for additional coverage through AX at $29 per rental. Under this policy, AX would be the primary insurance company even if our auto policy was in effect. Its called Premium Car Rental Protection Coverage.

Upon arrival we were advised that our room was not yet ready. We were given an account number so we could charge food and drinks while we enjoyed the grounds while waiting for check-in.

Room
Our room was both spacious and clean. We stayed in a first floor efficiency that had a sitting area attached to the small kitchen. It also had a balcony that overlooked what appeared to be the public access road to the beach but also provided a partial view of the ocean. The beds are very firm…but as we prefer it that way we had no issues. Our only complaint was that we requested a crib for the room several times before actually getting it. One word of warning for older guests is that the bathtub/shower combo may be hard to get into if you have difficulty. There was a TV with cable both Spanish and English channels…we were pleasantly surprised to see that they had Nickelodeon.

Hotel Grounds
The hotel grounds are well maintained. There are several hotel pools but as we had small children we spent most of our time at the children’s section. We had to get there by 9 AM to get a couple of lounge chairs under an umbrella when the hotel filled up on the weekend. There are towels available by the pool.

There are lounge chairs on the beach with palapa (grass umbrellas). If you arrived by noon you could usually find several empty lounge chairs. The sand beach is large, clean and relatively quiet. Part of the beach was cordoned off for hotel guests and the venders stayed on the outside unless summoned. There is a strong undertow so swimming is only advised for good swimmers. My oldest daughter loved standing on the beach and letting the waves crash at her feet.

Kids’ Club
The kids club is called Sheratoons. It is for children aged 5-11 years old and is available daily from 9:30am to 4pm. My oldest daughter had a great time when she went. She would usually go for a couple of hours a day to hang out with her new friends. There is a daily activity schedule for the kids club with activities.

Meals/Drinks
Breakfast: Although we ate breakfast almost daily in our room we did eat breakfast at the hotel twice. Buffet at the Sheraton: although the presentation was nice and the selection good, the food just was not that tasty. Breakfast at Girasoles: Although not a buffet you could order anything and as many things as you wanted off the menu. We had a great breakfast as well as a spectacular view.

Lunch: We ate lunch either in our room or at the poolside restaurants. The food during lunch was standard pub fare consisting of sandwiches, burgers, and salads. Good but not spectacular and a bit expensive but convenient.

Dinner: We always had dinner outside the hotel into Cabo. Having two small children precluded us from eating at many of the more upscale restaurants. We went to the mall several times and ate at the various restaurants there (including Hard Rock Café; Senor Greenburg’s Deli). Based on a recommendation we received at the hotel we did dine at the Sea Queen which was more upscale but kid friendly as it had an enclosed playground attached to the restaurant. The kids loved the playground while we loved that fact that we could dine on fresh sea food. This restaurant seemed to be more popular with the locals.

Bars: Happy hours moves from bar to bar from 11am. The 2 for 1 drinks are a real bargain.

Final Thoughts
I agree with one reviewer that in many ways it is a luxury hotel but that some of the attention to detail of a five-star experience is lacking. Staff was always smiling, friendly and helpful. We had a great stay and would go back again.

We did the Buccaneer Queen Pirate’s Cruise – which was OK. Next time we would spend some time sight-seeing.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank TedKon
There are newer reviews for Hacienda del Mar Los Cabos

Reviewed November 7, 2007

I wrote to the resort about a week before our arrival and said that this would be our 10th anniversary trip, and if they could select a nice unit with a good view, we would be grateful. My email probably went to the main hotel desk, rather than the timeshare/vacation club desk, and I really can't say whether the email did any good, but I did get a reply saying that they would do their best. We were confirmed to a one bedroom unit through the timeshare exchange company SFX. I learned that there are two different floor plans, a luxury unit (smaller with partial kitchen) and a master unit (full kitchen, two baths and larger square footage).

Upon our arrival we were assigned to the smaller luxury one bedroom unit in building 5, unit # 521 on the second floor. This building is next door to the reception building and is also as close to the beach and ocean front pools as you can get unless you are in an oceanfront building, so it was a very convenient location. The balcony looked out across a small courtyard with a fountain to their nicest onsite restaurant which is a palapa style building. On either side of the palapa we had good views of the Sea of Cortez. It was very pretty. As many of the buildings have no view of the sea at all, I felt we had gotten a pretty good location for a non-owner. Understandably, their vacation club owners get the oceanfront units. I wish we had gotten the larger unit, with bigger living area and full kitchen, but I can't complain.

The small one bedroom has the same size partial kitchen as the studio unit, and the living/dining area isn't much bigger, either, but we had a large separate bedroom with two queen size beds and a two person whirlpool and sink/vanity area that opened from the bedroom. Passing through that area, you reach another sink/vanity area, large walk in shower, and a separate toilet compartment. The hallway outside the bedroom had a second closet with a safe and a small shelving unit we used to store our shoes etc.

As reported, the couch is very firm and not especially comfortable to sit on. As the kitchenette is directly across from the living area, and the dining area is off to the right, nearer the TV, you end up with mostly a view of the kitchenette when you sit in the living room. It would have made more sense to put the dining set on that side and the couch and chair on the other end of the room. By the way, we were told that this building is one of the original buildings and it did not have any flat screen TVs unlike the units we read about in other reviews. We spent less time than normal in the living/dining room since it was a small, uninspiring room. We spent most of our indoor time watching TV from the bedroom, or we sat out on the balcony.

We discovered on the last day that they had complimentary coffee set up in the Vacation Club reception building next door. I’m not sure if coffee is there every morning, or only on the days of the week that people are checking in/out, which are Saturday, Sunday and Monday. We typically either made coffee in our unit, or went out for a walk down to the main hotel building, which has coffee set up outside under the portico every morning. Many days we got coffee there and sat by one of the infinity pools overlooking the sea while we enjoyed our coffee.

We did take the resort “presentation” even though the “gifts” for taking the tour aren’t nearly as generous as are offered at other resorts downtown. The breakfast buffet is very, very good, and considering the cheapest breakfast from onsite restaurants is $15.99 (Girasoles), this was a pretty good deal in itself. We got discounts on a long list of tours, and a $100 certificate to the onsite restaurants, which we used at Pitahayas. (sp?) The food was good but not spectacular and the service was okay, but not very attentive. We also ate at Tomatoes for lunch one day, and at Girasoles for breakfast. Both were good and offer great views of the sea. Another note regarding the timeshare tour. It was not high pressure until we were turned over to the “closer” who was very aggressive and ended up trying to sell us a week with a “guaranteed” rental program that would insure us a huge rental income on a yearly basis. Ummm, right. No thanks. From there we were handed off to a woman who we thought was in charge of setting us up with our discounted tours etc. As it turned out, she offered us a further discount on our already discounted tours, and belatedly we learned that she was manipulating us into taking a timeshare tour at a different resort (Villa del Largo). To our amazement, the resorts sometimes have a deal with another resort or two and they “recycle” prospects among themselves. Why they would want someone who just said “no” to buying, I’m not sure, but be aware of this practice.

The usual Tuesday welcome party was moved to Wednesday to coincide with Halloween. The resort put up decorations for the event and the staff dressed in costumes. The party was great with a mariachi band, chips and guacamole, chicken wings, ribs, and plenty of free drinks.

The three pools and the resort grounds are very picturesque and we were glad to spend most days at the resort soaking up the atmosphere. The beach is okay for swimming some days of the year. The yellow flag was out all week until the last day, but the current is plenty strong so caution is advised. We did not attempt it, but saw many people in the water. The last day, the red flag was up and the waves were huge, curling, and magnificent.

We engaged in some of the resort activities such as Mexican Bingo, during which we won two free drinks, a cooking demonstration, bartender class (you get to try all the samples), etc. They have Spanish lessons, dance lessons, water aerobics and other activities that we didn’t try.

There is no doubt this is an expensive resort. Activities were free but they charge for anything and everything possible aside from that. We had heard that you get a starter bag of coffee. This is no longer free. There was a jug of bottled water in the room but if you use it you’re billed $5.00, and the coffee was also a billable item. Fortunately we brought small sample size packs of various flavors of coffee, and we drank the coffee set out at the hotel in the morning the rest of the time. Do not be afraid to drink plain old tap water. They have a desalinization plant and there is nothing wrong with the water, including the taste. The rep who checked us in said we should drink bottled water because although it was purified, it was “not like we were used to at home.” As far as I can see, this is simply a ploy to sell you a bunch of $5.00 jugs of water during your stay. I brought little packs of Crystal Light and made up pitchers of lemonade and other flavored drinks all week. We drank gallons of their “water not like at home” with no ill effects. The restaurants are expensive, but for what you get, the prices aren’t that bad. No worse than any upscale restaurant anywhere else. The problem is there is simply no cheap option if you just want something simple and light. The snack bar menu is now $13.00 for any item, whereas resort literature noted the price at $11.00, so I guess prices just went up again. Drinks are available at 2 for 1 prices at one bar or another throughout the day, so check the schedule and plan accordingly. There is also a “drink of the day” that is 2 for 1 all day at any of the bars. We are not big drinkers and never had more than one drink each per day. Prices for food and miscellaneous items at the resort store are brutal. Try to bring basics with you, or go shopping elsewhere.

Bottom line, we really enjoyed our stay here. The resort is included in the annual magazine Great Hotels and Resorts and this is truly a beautiful resort, from the wonderful Mexican architecture to the carefully groomed grounds, to the superb pools and resort amenities. I think the people who complain about prices are people who don’t typically stay at 4 Star resorts, and they aren’t used to the prices these sorts of places usually charge. This resort, like many others on The Corridor between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, was designed to be a quiet, exclusive retreat for vacationers who want luxurious surroundings and an upscale experience. You pay for that. If you know what to expect beforehand, you should have a wonderful stay at this resort.

Stayed: October 2007
13  Thank Kay7979
Reviewed October 30, 2007

I had read all the reviews here prior to booking my trip and I must say that this hotel was gorgeous and lived up to our every expectation. The beach was beautiful and while I couldn't swim in it because it was a bit rough and i'm expecting...my husband raved about
it. The people were wonderfully friendly and helpful and really made us feel welcomed. We loved the steakhouse on the property...and as for prices...you're at a luxury resort...its to be expected. All in all we would definitely return!

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Hopefully you'll find some of this useful.
We really enjoy HDM. We've stayed several times and have enjoyed it each time. We plan to return in January.

Pros:
1. The grounds. They are beautiful. They spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning and repairing.

2. The rooms. Some are rather large with two full baths. Some have kitchens or kitchenettes. Ours had a separate living room with a giant flat-screen TV. The maid service is usually very good. TIP: there are two very large grocery mega-marts in town to stock up on some supplies. A Costco too!

3. It's isolated and quiet. This could be a pro or con depending on your point of view. We are glad to be away from the "party" atmosphere of downtown Cabo where it seems to be "spring break" every night. If you're looking for nightlife and excitement, this is NOT the resort for you. If you like a good book, a lounge chair and the sound of the waves you'll love it here. There's no blaring music by the pool.

4. The service. Our experience has been wonderful, but from what I read that's not always the case. Everyone we interacted with bent over backwards to be helpful. From changing our room to one with a kitchen to bringing me a network cable at 3:00am so I could hook up my laptop, everyone was more than hospitable.

Cons:
1. It's expensive. No way to sugar-coat this. They charge for everything! $20/day for internet access. $5.00/hour to rent a raft for the pool. $8.00 bottles of water and $20 hamburgers. If you're looking for $1.00 tacos and $0.75 beer, it's not here. The golf course next door is $350/round. Most meals will be ~$25-$30/person (Sirennas, Girasoles, Tomates) to ~$40-$45/person. (De Cortez, Pitahayas). This for EACH meal- breakfast, lunch and dinner, and DOESN"T include ANY drinks. TIP: the water they pour from the jugs is bottled water too and it's free.

2. It's isolated. The resort is in Cabo del Sol. A gated community of 3 or so resorts, several golf courses and multi-million dollar homes. There is NOWHERE to conveniently walk to. If you want to sight-see you will need a car (available at the resort) or a taxi. There is also a shuttle into town.

3. The Beach. This really isn't a good swimming beach, but it's great to look at and hear the waves.

HDM can be a great resort, it just depends on what you're looking for. If you want cheap food and drinks, music, and partying, you will be bored out of your skull here. If you want peace, quiet and relaxation, and don't mind dropping some dough, you couldn't ask for a better place. As I read this I can't help but notice that I've become a different demographic.

Cheers.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dr_Mike__0
Reviewed October 10, 2007

My wife and I have just returned from out third trip to Cabo. We had a great time as always, but will not return to the Hacienda Del Mar. First off, let me just say that this is a very nice hotel on a very large property. Timeshare (Vacation Club), and Sheritan Hotel guests share the same property.

Having stayed in town at the Finnisterra (Palapau Section), two other times we vacationed in Baja, we found that the convenience, cost, and ammenities to be more to our liking there.

Here is the general Pros/Cons of the property
Pros:

1. Nice Views
2. Nice Pools
3. Many Activities
4. Many Restaurants
5. Kid Friendly
6. On Site car rental 1/2 price of what you get at the airport
7. Comfortable rooms
8. $10 round trip shuttle to town
9. Rotating Happy hour

Cons:

1.Many, Many kids.
2. Entire property seemed catered to either children or grandparents (this is a nice place for rich elderly folks)
3. **Servers were nowhere to be found -- and seemed to hide during happy hour. It was so evident in the pool area, that guests were bringing there own ice chests to the pool. In seven days, I ordered twice from a server at the pool.
4. Drinks are very expensive even with 2-4-1 (drinks $8, Beers $5.50)
5. Restaurants are very expensive. I had a $24 surf n turf that included 3 jumbo shrimp and seven slices of sub-par steak. That was at Girasoles.

My personal experience included 2 broken phones that were never repaired and a broken AC that was repaired (but never worked well). My frustration is primarily with the service. Did I mention that they closed the swim-up bar for repairs for a week, but didn't honor its happy hour at the other bars?
The staff was preparing for the annual fishing tourement in a couple weeks, and they seemed to ignore their existing guests. Another couple (who vacationed with us) observed the same thing, they had even bought a timeshare on the property this trip.
We shared a cab to the airport with two other couples who echoed these sentiments as well.

The bottom line:

I'm in Mexico, in my thirties. I'm not trying to go to Disneyland or Club Med. I'm not planning on staying at the hotel all day. If you want to stay at nice property and spend your hard earned money paying NYC nightclub prices for drinks, it's fine. I'm sure if I wanted to spend $150 for dinner, it would have been exceptional -- but I don't, and I wont.
The Cabo I visit is the T-Shirt, Shorts, and Sandals town. It's the place that Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffet, and Sammy Hagar sing about. Taco Loco 4-tacos-and-a-beer for $7, or $1.50 street tacos at Cabo Wabo, or all day happy hour at Mango Deck (eat breakfast here, it's excellent). If I want a nice dinner in my shorts ant t-shirt, I eat on the Marina at Ole Ole, or any of the other nice places in town -- seeing as I am in Cabo to see Cabo. So for me, I'll stay near town. I'll get good services at a fair price. As far as hotels, Finisterra has much nicer rooms, nice pools, more spas, a better happy hour, and a great view, good cheap food, excellent service, and is directly across from the marina -- next time.

No Bad Days......Salud

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BajaWabo
Reviewed September 24, 2007

We just returned from Hacienda Del Mar 9/21/2007and have only good things to share. The grounds and architecture are beautiful and the service impeccable. From the folks at the reception desk to the folks handling the pool towels and the spa facilities, everyone was extremely friendly, helpful and personable. Our room had very nice views of the ocean, was clean, cool and quiet, and had a great balcony area. When the staff found out we were celebrating our anniversery they went out of their way to make us feel special with little extras.

We had a rental car and found the drive into Cabo, as well as 2 of the best snorkeling bays in Cabo extremely convenient (5-15 minutes). Parking was always available close to our building unlike other resorts we have experienced. The multiple infinity pools and spas with ocean views were never overcrowded. The spa and gym were top notch complete with dry suana and steam room. I could go on and on about what a 1st class resort this is (and without a pretentious staff) but suffice it to say we will be visiting Hacienda Del Mar again, with the kids next time.

Our cudos go out to Carlos and Alleandro for their attention to detail.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TvZ
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My DH and I (early 30s) just returned from a 5-night stay at the Sheraton. I have mixed feelings regarding our stay, so I'll try my best to detail it out.

The pros....

The reviews are true - it's a gorgeous property! My DH, a former golf course superintendent, is very observant when it comes to landscaping. He was quite impressed. The groundkeepers were meticulous and obviously took pride in their work. The architects did a fine job in marrying the dessert landscape with greenery and the lushness of tropical plants.

The hotel is also beautiful from the courtyards to the villas to the pools. We had a great time staying in the main building - room 2001 (ocean view). It was very easy to go from room to restaurant to pool back to room. I can see how some of those who stay out in the outward villas would get tired of walking, but at least you have lots of pretty things to look at.

There are some amazing balconies at the Sheraton. While ours was decent (ocean view from the side), friends of ours stayed in an ocean front and were lucky enough to have a room directly above Tomatoes. Wow - it spanned both the side of the room and front, making it bigger than the room itself! If you get the chance, request that one. You won't be disappointed.

The ocean is dangerous. While we were there, two people got flipped and one sprained her ankle. So if you want to play in the water, this is not the resort for you. But if you don't mind hanging out in that breathtaking infinity edge pool of theirs, it more than makes up for it.

Overall, I would say the service was quite good. While no one went out of their way to please us (except the maid service, more on that in a minute), we never had to wait long for anything. The bartenders at all bars were pleasant, spoke English and humored our poor Spanish.

If you prefer to swim with your drinks, the main pool has servers to accommodate. Just flag one down with the cold towel they give you to cool off. :)

The servers at the restaurants were nice and always available. The maid service was pretty good. We got towel animals and double cleaning each day. After we spent the day swimming, we'd come up to take a nap and get ready for the evening, and while we were at dinner, they'd clean up again. Very nice!

Speaking of dinner, this brings me to my first con...

The resort charges a preminum for everything. Water is close to $8, liquor drinks usually a tad more. Beer is $5.50 - a relative deal! If you are a big drinker, be sure you get the schedule for the rotating Happy Hour. 2-4-1 all day long - depending on the bar.

Food was by far the most ridiculously overpriced. We had the buffet a few times. Breakfast was $25pp, dinner $29 (and that was one of the cheaper nights!). The breakfast was barely more than what you would get at a Mariott free continental breakfast, albeit in a much prettier setting. Dinner was tasty (it was Latin Flavors night), but instead of using chicken breasts in the dish, they used the much cheaper wings. If the dish calls for wings, by all means use it. We've been known to belly up to an all-you-can-eat-wing place once or twice, but I don't like paying $30 for it.

Each morning they served free coffee outside the Tomatoes restaurant, but I would have preferred they have a small counter service location where I could buy bagels, tea and the like. Sometimes I want a simple breakfast and not pay a fortune for it. Being that the resort is so secluded, I guess they think you have no choice. And unless you rent a car to hit the grocery store, it's true.

If you are looking to stay close to Cabo, this is not the resort for you. While it was never more than a 10-ish minute drive into town, the cabbies charge a premium for their services. You can expect to spend at least $20 each way (for 2 people). There is a shuttle from the Sheraton to the mall, but if you go when it's hot, you will be sweating as soon as you get out of the car. Does not make for a romantic evening if you arrive soaking wet to the restaurant.

(By the way, do not tip the cab drivers. They have a strong union and are doing quite well for themselves.)

On to restaurant reviews - we ate at Tomatoes for breakfast and dinner. Barring any issues I have with cost, I can say I enjoyed all the meals I had there.

We had sushi downstairs at the sports bar which was quite good. There were supposed to have bar food, but when asked for a menu they didn't have one. Not sure why.

We ran over to the Vacation Club side once for breakfast at Girasoles. Really nice location - it's high atop the VC lobby. As an added plus, the meals were more reasonably priced.

Our favorite place to dine was the poolside bar - Sirenes. Every meal there was yummy - chicken fingers, quesadillas, BBQ sandwich, tuna wrap. All perfectly hit the spot.

And of course I have to tell you about our absolute favorite place to hang out on property - the swim up bar! If you go from 4-5, it's Happy Hour with 2-4-1 drinks. I can never drink 2 pina coladas (besides that would be like 900 calories), so I ask for one and to double up on the liquor.

It is a nice resort and overall I was impressed with the locale, grounds and service. Would I return? Probably not - only because it was such a chore to go into town, I'd rather stay closer and experience Cabo more. But if you are looking for a relaxing vacation and don't mind the price, it's a great choice.

• Stayed: August 2007