“One of the better fleets”

Gaviota Sportfishing
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have fished with at least four different of the main groups in Cabo over the years.

We find Gaviota to be good for a smaller (30 ish foot) boat.

The captain was good and knew where to go to get tuna which was what we mainly wanted.

The 1st mate was attentive and made it an easy trip.

The prices are a bit steep but that is Cabo these days.

Well worth it.

There are newer reviews for Gaviota Sportfishing

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Recently I went charter fishing in cabo. Learned a FEW LESSONS!!!!! 1. NEVER BOOK BEFORE YOU GET THERE!!!!! 2. CHECK OUT the boat first. 3. ask questions with multiple different providers before you commit. 4 ONLINE info is all FLUFF.

I went with the GAVIOTA Fleet. I was very disappointed because I paid $460 for a 26 foot boat that same price should have been at least a 36 foot boat.

The equipment on the boat was very poor - I have fished in KONA and OHAU and the MIN standard is Penn Internationals 130's . I got Shimano Tiagra 80's this boat was not prepared to catch big fish.
2. The captain and crew showed no real interest in the fish that was caught. There was no ice on the boat to preserve any catch no ice box or fish box our marlin sat on the deck for 2 hours then we found out it was OUR RESPONSIBILITY to take care of the fish.
3. At 2:30 pm the captain decided that the charter was over and we started to head back in. The captain opened the throttle and we caught air the entire trip back into the harbor. The boat left the water every wave and pounded back into the water. NOT good if you have a bad back or bad knees or if you get sea sick.

4. the fishing part was great the crew and captain AND THE SUPPORT STAFF FOR THE GAVIOTA FLEET LEFT A LOT TO BE DESIRED.

5. IF YOU WANT TO TAKE HOME FISH BE PREPARED TO ICE AND STORE IT FOR YOURSELF.

6. bring your own food the one provided sux!

7. the cabin smelled really heavy of urine and was unbearable to be in.

we caught 1 striped marlin approx. 80 lbs 6 small tuna about 8lbs.

1  Thank LOSTATSEA2013
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The crew is very professional and friendly.
My husband and I went fishing in May for a marlin. Saw marlins all day long but they wouldn't bite. We had the boat for 8hrs we were out for closer to 10hrs. Did catch a mahi-mahi. Talked to Carlos when we got back to the docks for when the best time to come back. He told us in October. October 16th we went out fishing again. This time not just for a marlin but for good eating fish. By 9:30 in the morning we had caught 6 mahi-mahi, 2 tuna and 1 release baby mahi-mahi. Around 11:00 my husband and I decided to head in. Custian our captain called Carlos to let him know. Carlos told them not till they get a marlin. We started to head back slowly talking with the crew. Then the marlin hit!!! What a fabulous day of fishing. Can't wait to go back.

2  Thank Paula D
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I got a whole 28 foot for myself all day for $250
Caught 2 marlins
Threw one back
Kept 130 pound striped

BUT. Be aware. They insist on keeping a few big pieces. The skin and head. And always tell you what to tip. $100. Is expected

$20 to clean the fish
$90 to vacuum seal
$10 to take a picture on the hook
$50 for a cooler
$15 live bate
$10 box lunch
$15 license
Free parking if you can find it
$25. Baggage fee at airport.
You can only bring back 50 pounds of fish. USA and Canada

Just be aware of all the extra charges

I have gone with them three times got fish every time !

Hope to catch a tuna once

3  Thank flyguy747
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have gone deep sea fishing 4 times in Cabo and The Gaviota Fleet gave us the best and most productive fling trip we have ever had! We caught 1 Marlin and 2 Sailfish. The boat was clean, I felt the captain and the crew were really focused on meeting our goal of catching fish. The food, license and bait was included so that we did not need to worry about extras. The night before we did go down to the Marina to make sure we could find the dock. They are at the end of the Marina pass Red Rum. " (we went on Red Rum twice and we did not catch a thing.) We really liked the professionalism of Juan and Jesus. You could tell they knew what they were doing. When we had a free moment we also went and followed dolphins. ( which the whole family enjoyed.) We will definitely use Gaviota for all fishing trips in the future.