“The flavor of Spain”

Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The flavor of Spain”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a long coming review as we had the good fortune to visit Maca on July 23', 2013, to celebrate our anniversary. The place is quaint and pleasant, the service courteous, professional and efficient, the owner Carlos a find of a man, however, it all pales to the kitchen, heavenly!!
Maca not only has the character of a Spanish place with its iconic posters for bullfights on the walls, and including a chalk board where the menu is presented (I hope they do not succumb to changing it), but they have the flavor of the dishes correct and cleverly presented bringing centuries old dishes to the 21st century.
I suggest you try several Tapas, which likely will become a shared meal, before going into the entree. Another humble suggestion is to let Carlos guide you in choosing the wine, as most likely you will not be aware of the brand, they bring wines from small spanish vintners.
I hope your experience is as good as ours, enjoy!!!

• Visited July 2013

Aldie, Virginia
“Loved the Spanish Tapas!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We dined here for dinner during our stay in October 2012 and can't say enough good things about the food, atmosphere, service and overall dining experience.We were a little worried because it was empty upon arrival but we learned that it had only recently opened. I highly recommend to anyone looking to enjoy a relaxed intimate dinner for a very reasonable price.

• Visited October 2012
“Amazing tapas”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

So glad we tried this place. Food as good as anywhere I've been in the world. Fresh produce and interesting. Great for those like me who don't want to risk the typical Mexican cantina.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Superb!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to this restaurant tonight on a whim. We happened to see it the night before when we went to Panchos next door and thought this place also looked interesting. What a great find we stumbled on. I've been to some of the best and most popular restaurants in Cabo and the dinner we had here tonight was the best meal I've had this week.

I ordered the Catch of the Day, which was a Jurel fish. I never heard of it before but it was delicious. It was prepared on a mesquite grill and served over roasted peppers and asparagus. My wife ordered the NY steak and it was fantastic as well. Our waiter, Lucas, was very kind and attentive. This place is now on my must see list for my annual Cabo trip.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sean M
Huntington Beach, California, United States
“Cabo hidden treasure- most unique dining experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you don't try any new place when you go to Cabo and you want something a bit more upscale please come to Maca! I go to cabo every single year and have been going for the last 15 years! When I came last year I saw Maca, but for some reason the prices seemed a bit high and the group I was with wasn't very interested because it looks like a restaurant you would find in Los Angeles. When I came to Cabo this year, my friend and I walked past it again, there menu was posted outside on a chalk board and everything sounded amazing, the waiter outside said if we came the next night (our last night) he would include a free bottle of wine.
The next night my friend and my mom went out in hopes of going to Maca, at first my mom was unsure of going because there was only one couple sitting in the restaurant, after walking around and being indecisive we landed at Maca.... BEST DECISION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every single item we ordered had the most exquisite and unique flavor, it was a Spanish restaurant. We ordered 3 Tapas (appetizers) :
Grilled asparagus wrapped in prociutto with goat cheese, braised oxtail on baguettes, gazpacho, and the 3 of us shared the Paella Valenciana with seafood, chorizo, etc!!! and YES we did get a free bottle of Argentinian wine (savignon blanc) which was actually sooo good and a new favorite! usually free alcohol= poor quality, but this wine paired perfectly with all the food!
We also ordered a dessert which was called "leche Frita" a fried milk with cinnamon and ice cream, again fantastic and very unique. All of this came out to $80, way less than any upscale restaurant in the US and MUCH BETTER FOOD! the service was outstanding, our waiter Lucas was so very attentive and talkative. I hope this restaurant lasts, it definitely caters to an "upscale palate" or people who really appreciate great food. Obviously for Mexico its more on the pricey side, there is much cheaper eats, but its a very nice setting and a nice change from the typical Mexican cuisine that you eat here on the daily. I highly recommend this restaurant !!!!!!!

• Visited July 2013