“Awesome placea California, Mexico”

Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Ranked #11 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Orlando, Florida
“Awesome placea California, Mexico”
Reviewed May 18, 2007

The hotel is very beautiful and the staff friendly. We went with a large group of friends last week for a wedding held at the fiesta. We usually book our room through amex express platinum hotels but wanted to stay were our friends were. We were not disappointed. We booked through Travelocity and got an amazing deal that included hotel and airfare. We stayed in a deluxe room. I recommend requesting room 228 as it has a wonderful view of the ocean and pool area. You can hear the ocean from the room. The room is very clean. They provide a hair dryer, robes and slippers. Also, they have a nice turn down service. The spa was great. I had a massage down by the beach and a wonderful deep cleaning facial. Prices for spa services are the same as the US. In regards to bad reviews of this place most appeared to be about prices. You are at a resort so don't expect things to be cheap. Having said that this is not your cheap Mexico. Everywhere in Cabo san lucas and not just the resort expect to pay US prices. All restaurants off the resort charge US prices. Expect to pay $100/couple for dinner and alcohol but we drank quite a bit. Many reviews I read complained about the price of the breakfast buffet at the hotel but the you can order off the menu and prices are reasonable. We had Huevos rancheros and paid about $8. I recommend eating at Senor Sweets by the Marina. Excellent breakfast, mango smooties, and gellatos. Do not drink the coffee in the room it is $15. Go to the gift shop and get a good cup of coffee for only $2. The food is very good at the resort. I loved their ceviche. I highly recommend renting a car otherwise you will be paying for a shuttle into town- one way, $10. The roads are good and it's very easy to navigate here. You can park at the mall in a parking structure or by the marina. The hotel does not charge for parking your car like most hotels. The valet service was promp but we always tipped the valet guy. Recommend dinner at puerta vieja, 5minute drive from the hotel. Excellen food and great ambience. Overall, had a wonderful time and would return.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
7 Thank 2docs0kids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Polish first
Northern CA
Reviewed April 28, 2007

There is alot of good about this resort BUT unfortunately there is MORE BAD. The good is: resort is clean, people are OUTWARDLY friendly, food is good depending on which restaurant you eat at - Peninsula is good as is Rosatto. Vina del Mar is good for breakfast but AWFUL for dinner.
Now for the BAD: this place is INFESTED with bugs. My wife and I both got numerous bug bites from bed bugs all over our bodies. I had 10 bites all over my face. My wife got bitten on her chest and legs. If you leave any food on the counter for more than five minutes thousands of tiny ants appear from who knows where and innundate the area. DON'T drink the water at the hotel even though they say it is safe. My wife brushed her teeth with it and had several days of severe diahreha. Travelling for a living in third world countries, I knew better and did not allow the local water into my mouth and there fore did not get sick. The hotel food is outrageously expensive so go to Costco by taxi or rent a car to buy food and water for your stay, but again be careful about leaving food on the counters in your room because of the ants. Also there are numerous LARGE cockroaches in and around the rooms and common areas. The birds eat those outside but in your room you may have to call to have your room de-loused. I had fun watching the birds fight over cockroaches on my patio. The resort is ISOLATED and they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING. If you don't rent a car, then a taxi is $20 each way. The resort has a shuttle but it's $10 RT/person. Internet access is only available from the lobby and is $26/day!!! OUTRAGEOUS! Certain members of the resort staff are dishonest and you MUST check your bill carefully AND if you exchange currency MAKE SURE THEY GIVE YOU THE PROPER RATE AND DON'T SHORT you. My wife had TWO such experiences where staff members tried to cheat her out of $10-$20 per incident. Also be aware of the exchange rate for US currency and DEMAND proper exchange. They shorted us 10% on our currency exchange even though they had the stated currency rates posted.

The time share presentation is HARD SELL so be prepared to resist. If you must own here BUY IT ON EBAY FOR 70-90% LESS THAN THE PRICE THEY WANT TO SELL TO YOU. Also, when they give you the rewards for LASTING through the presentation, DEMAND IT IN PESOS because again they will short you 10% on the exchange rate to US dollars (i.e. give you $100 US at 10 pesos/US dollar even though the rate is almost 11 pesos/US dollar).

Cabo San Lucas is a typical den of hucksters and merchants who prey on US tourists so BE PREPARED TO SAY NO OFTEN. The town is littered with garbage and refuse (It is obvious Mexico has no recycling laws -the streets are strewn with bottles and cans - DISGUSTING!)

Margaritavilla has the best and largest Margaritas in town. Lorenzillos was recommended to us but the shrimp was overcooked and service slow. In fact throughout the town and at the resort we found the food service slow and poor. The people are outwardly friendly but it is in a CONDESCENDING MANNER which to me was insulting.

• Liked — Pool was great as was food at Rosattos. Rooms were clean but INFESTED with bugs.
  • Disliked — Bugs everywhere! staff tried to cheat us and steal from us
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank dawg_launcher
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We stayed at the Fiesta Americana for one week, during spring break, and it was lovely. My husband and I were traveling with our 4 year old daughter so we were looking for a place that was kid friendly, but also had a luxury hotel feel, no "spring breakers" and decent food. We were happy on all fronts.

If you can swing it, book a room in the Grand Club section of the hotel (they have both regular rooms and suites - we booked a master suite). This section offers a special villa that serves a great continental breakfast every morning and serves appetizers and cocktails each night - for free. When you add up the savings from breakfast and cocktails each day, it more than pays for the higher room rate. They also have their own concierge which is very handy when booking day trips or hotel reservations. Our suite even had a "pet" which my daughter absolutely loved - a red betta fish named Rembrant.

The restaurants in the hotel are good. They're not out of this world, but they are definitely not bad either. They're expensive, but within the same range as most 4-star resorts.

The pool is fabulous - especially for kids. They have a huge section where the water is 1 inch to 6 inches so if your kid isn't water safe yet, you can still enjoy time in the pool. Even during the peak of spring break, there were always chairs to be found, and fresh towels. The beach is beautiful but remember this is Cabo so the sand is not the soft white stuff you may be used to - it's more rocky, and the surf can be really rough.

They also have a kids club that comes in handy if you want a little alone time. We dropped our daughter off for a few hours two separate days and she had a wonderful time. She colored, made little art projects and played with the other kids. They have more organized activities for the older kids.

We were lucky enough to visit during a full moon, and that evening the hotel organized an event down by the beach where the kids could roast marshmallows and the adults could watch a film about Baja. It was really nice.

We've stayed at a number of the nicer hotels in Cabo (Palmilla, Ventana, Casa del Mar, Westin) and while those properties are beautiful, this one felt more "Mexican". During our stay, many of the families vacationing with us were from Mexico so you really felt like you were away - as opposed to the Palmilla or Ventana where everyone was American.

We would absolutely consider staying there again.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank danas805
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort April 1-7, 2007. We found the hotel to be extremely beautiful and well-maintained, the staff is friendly and helpful.

Before traveling, we did arrange roundtrip transport from the airport to the hotel and back through TransCabo's website. They were reasonable--$28 a person for roundtrip transfers, on time and pleasant. I highly recommend using them and booking in advance. After getting through customs/etc when arriving, you can skip all the timeshare sellers and go right outside to meet TransCabo.

Anyway, arrving at the hotel, we were very impressed and pleased that everything was ok with the booking (we used Travelocity, which was an ordeal in itself, but not related to the hotel itself).

The staff was pleasant and accommodating, however things are very expensive here. For the rate we were paying, I did not feel it was in the hotel's best interest to nickel and dime their guests on everything else ($10/day for wireless internet acces, $10/day for use of the fitness center, $9 for 8 oz margaritas and other drinks, $5 for use of the in-room coffee maker, no continental or complimentary breakfast, etc). I guess I am used to getting those things with my hotel stay in the US. Regardless, I would recommend this hotel, but I would suggest trying to get to Costco or other off site markets for things like sunscreen, bottled water, snacks, etc.

The pools were never over crowded, even though the hotel was full, however, sometime there was a lack of lounge chairs, etc midday, just because everyone was sunning.

We couldn't swim at this beach--it's too rocky and the water is rough, but really clear and you can all kinds of sea creatures along the shore.

We could even see whales from our hotel room balcony or right on the beach, jumping and crashing in the water. It was amazing.

We tried all 3 restaurants and everything was good--nothing over the top outstanding, but everything decent to delicious and portion sizes were large.

The hotel is a short cab ride from downtown Cabo san Lucas, but it will cost you $20 for 2 people, one way. This got to be expensive, so we only went into town 3 days.

We took a sunset dinner cruise and did some whale watching in the Sea of Cortez--I highly recommend SunRider tours. Good food, good sights, NOT a booze cruise. We got great photos of el Arco, Sea lion colony, sunset, other boats, etc. My boyfriend also went deep sea fishing on a charter--caught his first marlin.

At the end of the trip, transcabo picked us up on time for the airport, just like they promised and we headed back home. We enjoyed our stay, and would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Staff was helpful, friendly, accommodating; room/bed was comfortable and clean
  • Disliked — Felt "nickeled and dimed" for services included in US hotel stays
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
12 Thank keekeeM
Portland,Oregon
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Well My girlfriend and I stayed at the Fiesta Americana Grand back in august of 2006.. and we were blown away by the views and the rooms.. the first night there we went into town to get food for the week and when we got back our room had been completely invaded by moths... and the glass sliding doors had moths all over it trying to get their way in... this was partly our fault for leaving a couple lights on but another part of the problem was the gap under the doors that allowed for the bugs to easily make their way into the room..with all of this aside.. the hotel was just great, the room was very nice and everything was in great shape.. the pools were great and the resort wasn't crowded which was nice, at times it felt as if we were the only people there.the only thing that bothered us was the fact that the hotel was so far away from the city and wanting to go to the city for shopping/clubbing/etc.... and the taxis were rather expensive at $20 for a trip back and forth...

P.S. And i dont recommend going in august because of the heat.. .and hurricanes(we had to leave 2 days early to avoid a hurricane)

• Liked — Pools/Views/Room Design
  • Disliked — Bug Infestation
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank madhandlz234
not available
Reviewed April 9, 2007

We were ripped off!!!

We were sold a 2 bedroom villa in our vacation package, upon checkin we were given a 1 bedroom villa. I had a letter from them stating we were getting a 2 bedroom. The room we were given had a joining second bedroom that was empty but they would not allow us to use it. The rooom they gave us was next to the construction that started at 8 am and went on until 10:30 pm. We could not open our balcony door due to the construction noise and dust. The entire resort is under construction including areas around the swiming pool.

The managememt did not care that we were unhappy, they ignored us.

Yes, there were giant roaches walking around the lobby and resort.

The restaurant was outrageous, mexican buffet was $50 per person. There was no one eating there night after night.

If you go there rent a car, their shuttle is $20 per person to leave the resort. You will need the car to find a decent restaurant.

They lied to us to sell us a vacation package as well as others staying there.

We had a bad expereience and would not go there again nor recommend the place to anyone!

• Liked — nothing - we we lied to
  • Disliked — they lied about the room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank mexico789
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 4, 2007

My fiance and I stayed at the Fiesta Americana from March 30 through April 4, 2007. I had meetings on Mon, Tues, Wed, but we went early to enjoy what Cabo has to offer. Let me get the work stuff out of the way, they accomodate business travelers very well and the meeting facilities, food, business offices, etc. are all top notch. They do have wireless connection that costs about $15 per 1/2 hour.

The facilties are exceptional. Four very clean pools, one has a bar in it, one is for the kids, one buts up against the beach, and one is for swimming. Lots of room to lay out, the beach sand is very coarse, not really made to lay out on, but they have plenty of chairs and hammocks to relax in. The water is very clear, lots of aquatic life to watch (whales, sea lions, dolphins, fish, crabs, etc.). Our room was on the third floor and was $280 USD plus tax a night. It was cleaned daily and sheets turned down nightly. They have two great golf courses that I did not play (they are $300 a round), but the friends that did said they were amazing.

Prices are not cheap (bottle of water $4, beer $4.50, snickers bar $4), but the food is good and prices seem in line with a higher-end resort. It is a $45 USD cab ride from airport and another $20 cab ride into Cabo San Lucas. Downtown Cabo is cool. Lots of awesome nightlife and restaurants. My recommendations are Margaritaville (best and biggest margaritas), Lorenzillos (best lobster in Cabo), The "new" Trailer Park (you HAVE to go hear, outstanding sea food and steaks), Cabo Wabo Cantina.

We went SCUBA diving twice with Underwater Diversions. They are down by the marina near the El Tesoro hotel. It is American run and a great place. Ask for Ivan. The diving is PHENOMENOL, my fiance and I have been all over the Carribean and this is some of the best. $133 USD for a 2-day, 2-tank dive package plus $30 USD for wetsuit and BCD. Water is around 70 degrees, but they provide thick wetsuits and I was nevery cold.

We also did some fishing with Dream Maker charters. Ask for Dale, again, American run. We fished with Francisco, he is very good. We went on a 1/2 day trip on a 22 ft. Panga and caught about 15 Sierra (Spanish Mackeral). Cost was $175 USD plus $26 for our licenses and another $20 USD for bait.

Finally, we did a dune buggy tour into the mountains (or hills). We went with Buggy Adventure out of downtown Cabo. It was $90 USD per couple for a 3 hour tour. Well, ours turned into about a 4 hour tour because the buggys kept breaking down. Lets just say it was an adventure. We had a riot and chalked it up to an adventure that we will talk about for years to come. Great way to see life outside of Cabo, the Mexican wilderness, and some "authentic" scenery and company.

All in all a great trip I would recommend to anyone. Enjoy.

• Liked — Location, view, cleanliness, comfortable beds, great staff
  • Disliked — Incidentals are pricey
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business