Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We stayed here for 2 nights, being moved from the Hilton Los Cabos due to a overbooking. The hotel was very nice and staff was friendly for the most part. We had a room on the 4th floor (Room 406) - which I would recommend due to being able to see over the palm trees. The pools were nice. The beach was nice, but not really swimable. The ice machine on our floor did not work and was not repaired after we reported the problem. We ate at one of the restaurants for breakfast and food was average - expect to pay around $20 - $40 per main entree at any of the hotel restaurants. We had drinks in the lobby bar and they average $9-$10 each. We had a rental car and valet was very prompt.

• Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank spunkster
Write a ReviewReviews (5,246)

Reviewed May 29, 2006

This was by far the worst vacation experience of my life, and I have travelled to over 20 different countries and stayed in various hotel categories. I stayed at this hotel after a wonderful experience at the Fiesta Americana Grand in Cancun, but unfortunately, the experience in this hotel (and in Cabo in general) was terrible. I'm never going back unless someone pays for it! Here goes my two cents:

Pros:
1. The hotel grounds are beautiful. You can tell from the pictures. A lot of work was put in to make this resort absolutely breathtaking. I have to give them credit for that.
2. The breakfast at Viña del Mar was delicious, with many options, a la carte or buffet.
3. All the rooms have an ocean view, but that's expected in many of the high-end hotels in Mexico.

Cons:
1. A complete rip-off. Come on, $9 for a bottle of water? Are we joking? Who sets these prices, and do they expect us to come back?
2. The restaurants were definitely not of 5-star caliber. Don't believe the other reviewers. The food was pre-heated, not fresh, and definitely overpriced. One evening they had a $70/person buffet. No way...
3. There was one day where our room wasn't cleaned until I had to call at 5pm! They didn't show up until 7pm.
4. Our toilet broke, so they had to install a new one which meant we had to be out of our room half a day.
5. The beach is nice, but you cannot swim in it, way too rocky. Don't believe what anyone else says, it's very dangerous.
6. You literally have to either get a cab or rent a car to leave the hotel grounds and find a reasonably priced meal, otherwise be prepared to get at least a $200 tab for a couple. You literally begin to feel jailed into this hotel, as there are no other options within walking distance.
7. The Spa was not the experience it is supposed to be. I got a facial, and halfway through, the lady left and introduced me to someone who would finish the facial. Ridiculous.
8. I wanted to get a manicure and went to the Salon (ironically named The Spa?!) and they wanted $80 for a manicure and a pedicure? No wonder I never saw ANYONE in there.
9. TIMESHARES - not only do they hound you the minute you walk into the hotel for a "free tour" (be careful here - it's a way to get you to the Timeshare presentation), the salespeople are infiltrated! One man at the pool had his two kids with him and tried to sell my husband and I the timeshare at the hotel. Unbelievable!
10. Valet is completely useless. Everytime we went to get our car, it took at least 20 minutes. I have no idea where they were parking it. Also, I travelled with two small children and no one bothered to help me nor my husband in taking out the luggage or putting in the luggage in our car, even though there were 5 of them just standing there doing nothing. We even had to take the luggage to our room.
11. The service is not what it should be. There's no "Thank yous" or "can I help you". They just stare at you. This is not what I expect from a 5-star hotel.

Some comments on Cabo itself:
I will never return to a city/region where the tourists are ripped off while the locals have no running water. What is the point of charging tourists these inflated prices, yet when you speak with the locals, they have no electricity, running water, etc. Its despicable. I'm not going to give anymore of my money to a place that runs on this philosophy. I prefer Cancun a million times more. At least there you can find a reasonably priced cup of coffee.

It is also intriguing to read the reviews that find these small towns (Todos Santos, La Paz) so nice and charming. These are third-world towns with absolutely no infrastructure and a high degree of poverty. There's definitely much nicer towns and cities in other parts of the world, at least in Latin America, that I would prefer to spend my time in.

In general, for the amount of money I've shelled out on this trip, I could have gone to Paris, London or Rome. Next time I will.

P.S. To the reviewer who is so "anti-children", I suggest you go to the Club Med for adults. Families have every right to travel with their children. Having children is not a prison sentence, it is a right and one of life's reaffirming pleasures.

• Stayed: May 2006
39  Thank nat_miami
Reviewed May 7, 2006

We just got back from Los Cabos. Stayed at the phenomenal Fiesta Americana. A couple of things about the FA:

1) Bring water shoes for the beach. The sand and the rocks are challenging on your feet. The beach is great it was difficult to explore much in the water with water shoes on. Don't let this stop you from going to this resort. The views are breath-taking and the pools are sensational.

2) Stayed in the Club Level rooms and the Club Lounge was a great treat/retreat. There you find your own concierge, and beverages out all day long. We had breakfast and snacks there nearly everyday, and it's included in your room rate.

3) Great Room on sixth floor, wonderful people that work at the FA.

4) Excellent pools although they could've been a tad cooler for my liking. My wife loved the temp.

Now on to two great restaurants both reccommended by the concierge, Guadalupe at the FA.

1 - Casiano's in San Jose Del Cabo. It's down a little street before the major town of SJdC. Taxi had a hard time finding it. This small modern restaurant boasts its "Spontaneous" menu. They show you a listing of the ingredients they have on hand at the restaurant and you can eith select and a la carte menu or for only $55/pp you get a 5-6 item tasting. We did the tasting menu and it was great. It was 6 courses and each course was fantastic. Great Margarita before dinner, wine and a great after dinner special late harvest Mexican Wine for dessert was great. The dessert of Raspberry Sorbet and a Chocolate cakey pudding served in a corn husk was outrageous. Dinner and everything was around $220 for two of us!

2. Don Emilianos also in San Jose del Cabo. This is right in town and is a beautiful covered but outside garden setting right on the main drag. We sat down at a nice table near under a bamboo covered pergola had two great pre-dinner drinks a Tequila Mojito and a Champagne Passion Fruit drink, both were great! We were greeted by the owner/Chef Margarita who is a fascinating woman that works along side her son who manages the restaurant and is a very educated sommelier. Margarita reccommended we try an appetizer for two and asked if we would like it the traditional Mexican way. That means the guacomole features a sprinkling of roasted Chapulins! Chapulin is spanish for Grasshoppers! We are adventurous and gave them a try and they were great. Crunchy nutty and actually a tad sour, but a delicious addition to a platter of guac, cheese and mushroom quesadilla, homemade chorizo, marinated steak and homeade cheese in herbs. Next we tried a really nice bottle of Mexican Red Wine, the wine was a blend of tempranillo, Grenache and maybe Cabernet? It was called Jardin Secreto and was a Big Robust wine that paired well with a Special Filet of beef in a Hibiscus Flower sauce over tequila basted apples. We shared this along with a grilled lobster tail accompanied by a chili butter sauce and another tasty sauce. Dessert was a Grilled mango stuffed with a pistaccio mixture and our other dessert was a chocolate cake served with sweet pepper ice cream. Dessert would not have been complete if we didn't have a great after dinner drink called La Pinta. Its a Tequila liquer infused with pomegranates. This red delicious drink was poured over ice and was so good we bought a few bottles before we left.

Hope this review helps! Have fun we cannot wait to get back to the area!

20  Thank Sleeeepguy
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My wife and I just got back from staying here and it was everything we expected and more. We always stay in a 4-5 star resorts, so we do expect a certain level of quality when we travel. This place is so beautiful with great views from all the rooms. Although the rooms are not huge, they are big for most Mexican resort rooms, and are very clean.
The food was as good or better than any we have had in other Mexican resorts, but I still say if you want incredible food, go to into town. Our first night we went to Mi Casa in downtown Cabo, and it was amazing. We also hit up several other restaurants in San Jose which were awesome. We brought our 2 kids 6 and 3 and they loved walks on the beach. Being that we LOVE the ocean, but don't necessarily care to swim in it, the beach was perfect. The water here is beautiful, but very rocky and unswimmable. An earlier review stated that "no matter how much money you want to spend, you can't get away from kids" well, if she did her research, she would have known that there are some wonderful 5 star resorts, that are adults only. Maybe she should try that because many young families have money and kids nowadays, and guess what... they do travel with us!!!We all enjoyed the pool. They had a great kiddie pool that flowed into the infinity pool, and the water is always kept at around 70 degrees. The hotel staff was very accommodating, and went out of their way to make sure our stay was a good one. I would definitely go back with and without the kids.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Db4wolves
A TripAdvisor Member
Hilliard, Ohio
Reviewed March 26, 2006

Visited Cabo San Lucas for the first time and loved the view from our balcony. Room was large, bath was luxurious and beds very comfy and room was clean.

Negative:
Only one table was between beds, little area to set suitcases for a family of four. No chairs, (except two on balcony) and no other tables of any kind.

Coffee packets taken from the snack section are charged to room at $5.50 each(that may have included the creamer/sugar packet) and one time we took a 24 oz. bottle of water and coffee packet to brew and were charged $17.40. (My money conversion is approximate at 10 pesos per $1.00.) Was shocked I was charged for coffee pods as we were paying around $750 per night.

Rented a car, but only valet parking was offered and spent a lot of money tipping over and over again for this.

Suggestion:
Be sure to bring tennis shoes to walk the beach as the sand is very coarse.

Restaurants off premises:
People had recommended the Trailer Park Lobster and Steak restaurant. Atmosphere of the one we went to near City Club was very nice and food was in large proportions, but service was not good for a party of 12 and we were not allowed to have four separate checks for the meal, only two credit cards were accepted. Found that even though several drinks were purchased and the bill was over $400.00 they did not try to accommodate.

Winning Restaurant:
Los Deseos at the Blvd. Marina in Cabo San Lucas. (Upscale area)

You can park at the shopping mall garage (free). Same party of 12, wonderful food, great atmosphere, unbelievable service and wonderful show with three cheese tequila in lava pots (appetizer). Pristine stainless steel kitchen behind glass.

Restaurant allowed 3 roving guitarists to play and sing at $5.00 per song. Front of restaurant open to marina and jugglers and drummers put on a show on the sidewalk whirling balls of fire attached to rope and juggling sticks on fire. Dripped candle 5 feet high and 24 inch radius at entrance along with a square mini pool. We had a ball celebrating my daughter's wedding here.

Cost of dinner for 12 - an unbelieveable $208.00

• Stayed: March 2006
22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 25, 2006

My husband and I went to this hotel for our 1st anniversary. We originally were booked to go to the Mayan Riviera, but quickly changed plans due to hurricane Wilma. We were lucky to find this great place.

We loved it here. It was hot and sunny everyday, low humidity, very comfortable.

We chose to stay in one of the Grand Club suites. Room and view were great. We do recommend you choose this option, as a small buffet breakfast was available everyday and drinks and snacks in the evening. Bottles of water, coffee and tea were available all day long. Breakfast at the main restaurant, which we thought we would have one morning, is WAY too expensive - about $25 each!

We especially loved the romantic guitar which was played live by the fire pit each night.

One of my husband's favorite thing about the hotel was the large number of pools available to everyone. There was always a nice spot to sit, it never felt crowded.

If you plan to explore the area - rent a car! Transportation shuttles are not flexible enough and taxis are too expensive. Note: the hotel is quite isolated, tucked into a rocky hillside.

Service was ALWAYS professional and friendly. We felt very welcome and taken care of!

• Stayed: November 2005
22  Thank Annalyn
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Just so you know where this is coming from...my husband and I try to jet off to some beach resort twice a year. Mexico is a favorite! Since we are in our mid 30's and childfree we are attarcted to higher end hotels that either do not attarct families or make an effort to keep the parents and kids away from the non parents. Keeping that in mind here's my full review of Fiesta Americans Grand Los CAbos and Los Cabos over all.

What's good...
1. The Rooms: the decor is beautiful, the bed is comfee and you can sleep with the terrace doors open. The view from the terrace at night is spectacular, stars like I have never seen. The grounds are lush and there are birds chirping so even though we couldn't see the ocean from our room we didn't care it was great.
2. The breakfast. You'll pay for it unless you score a package with a continental breakfast (not sure if one exists) but there is plenty of selection. It isn't cheap though. So you woul be better off ordering from the menu a few days and then doing the buffet one or two days just to sample.
3. The people/the service. Very attentive, and they want to make an effort of knowing your names. The main restaurant by the pool and the pool attendants don't know what more to do for you to make you happy. They check on you when you are lounging to get you drinks or snacks. Whatever you want. There is no such word as can't or NO! Towels are plentiful and they set up your lounges and do't expect a tip.
4. The food at the pool restaurant. AMAZING for the money. The portions are enourmous GET THE NACHOS!! My husband is a self proclaimed NAchos Expert and he said that these are by far the best in the history of his life!! We loved the "CABO NACHOS" so much that I try to recreate them at home. The salads are also great and if you want to change any element to a salad they will do whatever you want. I suggest eating an early dinner at the pool restaurant. It's empty and the veiew of the water is a perfect way to end the day --with some Coronas.

What's Bad...
1. Transportation from airport and in general is AWFUL. RENT a CAR!! Typical of Mexico there are 100 people trying to get you to see this time share and do this or that tour. Best bet is to bypass this mess and get you own taxi. You'll pay for it but at least you don't have to deal with the full on assault. Transportation around Los Cabos is a nightmare. Unlike CAncun there isn't a cheapie bus that can take you around all over. It's all taxi vans and to go to Los Cabos is $20 EACH WAY. Over the week we spent close to $300 just on taxi's to and from town. Rent a car!!
2. The SPA and Salon. Save your money. The Spa hosts do not get it. Going to a SPA is and should be an experience. My husband and I opted for an outdoor massage. We go to the spa to check in and never saw the inside of the spa. No water with Lemon, no locker, no nothing. We were quickly told (not escorted) to walk to the outside cabannas and get the massage. The massage itself was nothing more than a rub down with oils and lotions. There was no getting out kinks like one would get from a normal Swedish / Deep Tissue mix. Clearly you can tell these weren't pros. The Salon is nothing more than 5 teenaged Mexican girls chit chatting. It's always empty and I can understand why. I walked out of a manicure. I'm from the New York area and since I travel to nice places I expect a level of professionalism. Since I do a better job on my own nails. I walked out, complained to the hotel manager --who was excellent and gracious. Turns out the SPA and Salon are independent of the Fiesta Americana - that explains a lot.
3. FAMILY FEST!! My husband and I did not lounge at the pool AT ALL because there were plastic toys all over the place and kids yelling Mommy look, Mommy watch, mommy look, wcth UHHHH! Shuttt upppp! Then there were couples there with INFANTS!! Which in my own opinion defeats the entire purpose of traveling. However if you claim a lounge chair by the beach you can truly RELAX without the sounds of children and parents. TIP - do NOT come here during the week of Thanksgiving. It's safe to say the kidsfest was in full swing because we picked a week we thought everyone wouldn't because who travels away from family on Thanskgiving? Parents with children are unavoidable --regardless of how much money you spend.
4. THE ROCKY BEACH -- OK let's be clear here. I don't care what the hotel staff says when you call. Or what the hotel website leads you to believe. You cannot swim in the beach. It's far too rocky and no one goes in. So if you can handle lounging at the beach and WALKING up to the pool to take a dip and then walking back down to your nice quiet beach area then you'll LOVE IT!! If you don't want to walk more than 10 feet to take a dip then hang at the pool and deal with the parents and kids.

Over all experience: Los Cabos was fun but it's no CANCUN! Cancun caters to east coast people many of whom are New Yorkers who are used to stellar service. The hotel was AMAMZING but they should fire the SPA and SALON people.

Nightlife is a bit lame. There's EL SQUID ROE which is fun but again NOT CANCUN. And then there's CABO WABO which was DEAD when we went but I could see this place being a total blast.

Absolutely spend the money and go on the WIDE OPEN dune buggy driving course. It's so much fun, worth every penny. My hsuband drove, I rode shotgun and never laughed to hard in my life. We almost flipped the thing over. If you can drive in snow then get ready to have fun spinning out in the sand.

Margaritas restaurant at the marina is AMAZING. MAke sure if you see Mariachis there request Guadalajara and get ready to hear the horns!! The food is deeelish and the price very reasonable.

Given Los Cabos is like a 6 hour plane ride I doubt we'd go back. There are better beaches on this side of the country. BUT if you are looking for a great place to stay where you are treated wonderfully by the staff, then Fiesta Americana is a great value for what you spend. It's no way cheap but you won't regret staying there -- especially if you walk down to MEDANO beach and see the riff raff and tacky people down there. Pueblo Bonito Rose is in the center of it all which is good and bad. I went there to satisfy the curiosity and was 100% happy we chose Fiesta Americana Grand.

For more info e-mail ----