“Super time for our first time in Cabo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa

Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Novato, CA
“Super time for our first time in Cabo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed here for a week with a family of 4. The resort is gorgeous, right on the water, backing up to some steep hills.
Check in was easy, with a small wait. While we waited, we were greeted by a staff member and immediately offered something to drink. We'd booked through American Express travel, and it was a simple matter of checking in and obtaining the AI wristbands. We were immediately pointed at the concierge for assistance while the bellhop took our bags to our room. We thought this was going to be an introduction to the hotel and amenities, but it actually turned out to be a Vacation Club pitch, graciously given and with an eye to providing discounts on our activities for 90 minutes of our time. This was one of the few sour notes that were struck, and to her credit, the representative was kind, but the timing was off.
Our room did seem a little small at first, but honestly, in hindsight, it was just fine. We were only in it at night time and it had plenty of room for the family. Our room was 305, ocean and pool view, with two double beds. The room had a good sized closet, a dresser/tv stand with a minibar stocked refrigerator (though they didn't get bent out of shape when we used it for some of our own beverages), a stowed coffee maker, a desk, and a lounge chair. There is a small deck with a convenient rod for drying swimsuits, two chairs, and a small table. The floor is tile. The bathroom has a nice large shower, a deep and beautiful tub, and is nicely detailed with lots of counter space and some toiletry storage under the sink. Regarding the beds - these are not your typical Mexican rock-hard beds; they're firm, but not uncomfortably so for my taste. They are, however, true doubles, which makes them very small with two adults, one of whom is 6'2" and takes up more than his share of a bed. So, if a double is too small for you, as it will be for us the next time, consider a room upgrade if you need to sleep more than 2 people.
The resort itself is full of nice details and things to do. We didn't discover that there was a printed schedule with a resort map until our 4th day there - this would have been nice to have upon check in. At any rate, there are things to do from pool volleyball and poolside ping pong, pool aerobics and daily yoga classes, live music nightly at the fire pit, and expect one nice event per week (we had a Mexican fiesta with dancers and talented mariachis).
The food we had was excellent. Breakfast can be had buffet style at the Vina Del Mar (main terrace dining area) or at the Peninsula restaurant (beach side). There are several lunch or light meal options from beach side tacos or the grill (hamburgers, hot dogs and burritos) and then several dinner options as well, ranging from Asian to buffet, Mexican, Italian, and a steakhouse. We didn't have a bad meal while there. There's a little coffee house next to the gift shop that had soft serve ice cream that was a real treat for the kids.
Service was excellent. Housekeeping had a couple minor missteps. We kept getting lots of bath gel and no shampoo; the bottles look exactly alike. They also didn't provide washcloths one day. However, there's a nightly check and turndown service, and without fail, we were able to get anything additional we needed. Plus, we got delicious little chocolates every night that were a family favorite. My son wants to go back for that alone.
Pool side, the waiters were attentive and delivered drinks and snacks when requested. They'd also head out to the beach where there are lounge chairs, hammocks, and umbrellas.
The grounds have several pools - a family pool with sloping depth to the end, which is an infinity pool overlooking the beach, a pool above that with a waterfall as well as the volleyball net and a more consistent depth, an adults-only pool with a swim up bar, and at least one more pool for the exclusive use of Club guests. We counted three hot tubs; there might be more in the Club area. The beach itself has grainy sand, but had the benefit of being shallow with fish coming right up to shore. We saw puffers, wrasses, and several others I can't name, and snorkeling is possible if limited to a pretty small area. Considering the clarity of the water (excellent) and the proximity to the hotel, it was a great bonus for us. The kids had a great time making friends, trying to catch fish in buckets (fortunately unsuccessfully) and splashing around in the refreshing water. Later on this year, sea turtles may make nests on the beach, so you'll have to watch for nests. This time, we saw many migrating whales from the hotel (there's an excellent set of viewing windows on the 7th floor near the elevators) and the beach, including a huge breech from both a large whale and a smaller one on our last day. We also saw an osprey catch a fish, and there are large lizards (black iguanas, I think) throughout the property during the day, poolside in the rocks.
We used the Globo Go service on premise to book our excursions, because I didn't book anything in advance this time. Ekaterina helped us and was great at recommending tour operators and getting the service vouchers and reservations handled. Golf has to be booked through the concierge desk, but what they do is dial the golf clubhouse and then let you make your own arrangements.
One of the other slightly sour notes was when my 9 year old son lost his wristband, we think in the pool. I went to the desk to see about a replacement, and was told that it was $80/day for the missing wristband (!). However, I was also told that since the missing wristband was on a small child, presumably unlikely to be possible scamming the system, that I should just not bother with a replacement, but that some restaurant captains might question us. We took the advice, and had no issues. I was a little concerned about what might happen upon checkout, but nothing did, and we weren't questioned.
Another thing I'd like to mention was that my daughter had a small accident in the pool one night where she didn't see a rock under some moving water, and ran into it. She got a pretty good gash under her nose, running down to her lip. It didn't require stitches, but was pretty nasty and we wanted some Neosporin or other topical aid. I went to the gift shop, they didn't have any topical antiseptics, but the salesperson recommended that I go to the front desk, where they could get security, who had a first aid kit. The front desk was eager to help and called security. He came almost right away with a big first aid kit, and went to our room, where he tended our daughter with some bactine and some excellent zinc oxide ointment. It looked pretty ugly until the morning, when it all washed off. She's pretty scraped up now, but it could have been so much worse, and as it is, it's well on its way to healing nicely with no scar. He remembered us the next night and asked after the family and how everyone was doing. (Note to self - don't get sloppy with the kit...I usually bring everything we might need from Ibuprofen and band aids to Neosporin, but I haven't replenished the kit since I first stocked it 6 years ago, and I'm out of some things. A tip to travelers, like myself, to be prepared!). Anyway, his sincere concern and help was mirrored in many small ways by the large but attentive staff we saw during our stay.
Our check out time was noon, but we weren't going to be picked up until 2 for our flight home. I checked with the front desk the night before to find out about options, and since our room was required and not available for late checkout, I was offered a courtesy room so that we could get our bags out of our room, have them held by the desk, and enjoy the pool for the time until we had to leave. This, in fact, was graciously provided to us - a room on the first floor. This means we got to see the king bed configuration - the room was just the same, very nice, but right on the ground floor so you probably could just vault over the balcony onto the lawn and head out to the pool.
My one recommendation to the hotel would be to find a way to make change for guests. Those of us without transportation are on premise, and while our tips are rolled into the fee, many people do like to give a little extra most of the time, or at least have the option. I did read that small bills are hard to come by, and it's true. Since none of the restaurants have cash options, there's no real ability to get change unless someone can personally make it for you.
We'd never been to Cabo or a Fiesta Americana before, so we aren't looking at this resort as how it used to be, so for us, how it was, overall, was excellent. It's also one of the rare times we didn't have a rental car, but honestly, even though the cab fares seem pretty steep, taking us to Cabo and to one of our activities was less expensive than having a rental car sitting on the property. Since it's an AI, trips to Costco or the Mega weren't really necessary. The resort is not actually in Cabo; it's not on the main beach (Medano) and nothing is in walking distance, so if you're going to want to walk into town or be in the middle of the action, this is not the resort for you. For a quieter, laid back, away from the Spring Break craziness, this was perfect. My husband already wants to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor of the hotel section are convenient to the breakfast restaurant, the coffee...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank sunbunny31
John K, Director General at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel, you give other travelers the chance to get to know it through your eyes.
I´m glad your daughter is doing well and that it was just a minor accident, we actually have a doctor on-site and an agreement with a local private hospital for things like that.
I really appreciate your feedback and I am sending it to the different departments so that they can work on improving those details.

We are looking forward to having you and your family stay with us again and we will make sure to have more of the delicious chocolates for your son.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Polish first
Poulsbo, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Superb time! Great hotel and excellent staff. Especially Pablo and Danielle by the pool bar. We did not do the all inclusive but found that cabo had a lot to offer. One of the highlights was the excellent service we received from the staff. From the front desk to the bell service to the servers service was above par. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom58688
John K, Director General at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for your kind words and for writing this review.
I am happy to read that you had a superb time in Cabo and with us. I will make sure that Pablo and Daniel know the wonderful things you wrote about them.

We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.
Washougal, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

First, I'd like to say, that I've been an owner here for 7 years. We have loved it here and come twice a year.
The good: the property is still clean and well maintained. The spa services were great. The fire-pit area has been expanded and the evening music is lovely. Free wifi (poor signal) & new coffee shop. Looks like they expanded the Kids Club.

The bad: zero communication to owners about the property being all inclusive. I was not even informed at check in. Found out after being BANNED from 2 restaurants at lunch time...yes, owners do not have the option of going to any of the new restaurants (Mexican, ceviche, sushi, grille) unless they purchase an all inclusive package. Zero food service on the beach. NEVER offered a beverage at the pool or at the beach....not once in 7 days. Was it because we didn't have an all inclusive wrist band? Zero food service At the pool, unless you are all inclusive. New menu at the Peninsula Restaurant was lacking. For breakfast, only buffet is offered...no menus. You can go to the coffee shop for coffee & pastry, but being gluten free, my only option, was ordering room service....3800 pesos for papaya, yogurt and juice. Dinner & service at the Peninsula was good & was the only good service we received. The overall feel is that owners are now second class here. For owners to get the same amenities we are used to, we have to pay for it. With all inclusive, comes more people, more booze, more noise. We stayed at the club pool to avoid the nonsense.

If you are an owner, make sure that you hit The Mega so you can eat & drink what you want. And be prepared to be ignored while lounging on the property.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Oregonstarrs
John K, Director General at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, but even more for being a loyal guest for 7 years.
I apologize for the lack of communication regarding the All Inclusive concept. Emails were sent out with the information but sometimes that does not guarantee that they reach the addressee.
It is important to us that all of our guests feel like our hotel is their second home which is why, even with the new concept, we have maintained 6 options for the guests that choose not to take advantage of the All Inclusive such as Rosato, Viña del Mar, Peninsula, Coffee Corner and Bikini Bar. We are more than happy to accommodate to anybody’s dietary needs, all you have to do is let the waiters know and the chef will prepare the dishes accordingly.
Please send us back your bill from room service for when you ordered papaya, juice and yogurt as $3,800 pesos is not what we charge for that and if you did it must have been some sort of mistake, although I´m guessing it´s a typo and you meant to write something different.
It´s important for me that you know that we no longer serve food on the beach because it was attracting the local fauna and it was not environmentally healthy.

Thanks again for sending your comments and I hope you will allow us to be your host again and give you the service you deserve and have been receiving for the last 7 years. If you have any questions or further comments please don´t hesitate in contacting me.

John Kirwan
Managing Director
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I loved my 4 day stay here. The rooms were nicely appointed, but slightly smaller and less lush than other are 4-stars. All restaurants but one had fantastic food, and the buffet was delish as well. I did have a terrible dining experience at the Italian restaurant. I was ignored as a solo diner and angered when a solo dining male who was seated later than I was was immediately served. All the food was disappointing as well. It's too bad, because the ambiance and live music were so promising. I left without eating my meal and mentioned my experience to Isabel, the gracious buffet hostess, and she took great care of me, finding me a nice, quiet place to read while I had an actual dinner. With the exception of the Italian joint, service everywhere was perfect. The steak restaurant was fantastic. The Peninsula was fantastic. The guy who runs the martini bar is a hoot. (And those martinis are included!) There was amazing musical entertainment at the firepit at night. The beach was gorgeous, I will return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank jeannette777
John K, Managing Director at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.
I am glad that you enjoyed staying with us and that Isabel and the staff gave you the quality of service you deserve, I will let them know the pleasant things you wrote about them.
I sent your feedback to our Food and Beverage Manager regarding Rosato Restaurant so that he can address it with his team and work on improving those details.

Looking forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.
NY, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I was in charge of planning a friend's birthday... always a gamble... but this place was terrific. My friends and I loved it: from the friendly staff and service to the great beach with their palapas, we were so happy.

While we had a few amazing meals in town, the all inclusive food at the hotel was good - especially the Italian restaurant. During the week had less people which was nice, but it never became crazy insane even the Saturday. I also like two separate pools - one for kids and another for adults. Of course there were a few kids running around like mental patients and a few smashy the clown idiots, but that's not the hotel's fault. And the place is so large, they're easy to evade.

Go - you'll like it.

Room Tip: I liked the higher room... I was on 4... I would suggest that.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank PBSFan1
John K, Gerente General at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am glad that you and your friends had a good time celebrating at our hotel. Rosato Italian Cuisine is one of the most popular restaurants out of the 7 we have and it is for adults only after 7 p.m. which makes it convenient for couples and adult parties; I hope you also had the chance to try La Bodega or the Sushi Sky Bar. Thanks again for staying with us and would love to have you again for your next birthday. Best Regards,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband & I traveled the last week of March 2014. We made arrangements in advance to have a driver pick us up at the airport. That was money well spent! The trip from the airport was only about 30 min. Upon arriving at the resort, we were blown away at how amazing it is. One negative comment was that the check-in process was long. It appeared there were enough people working, but we waited about 30 min. to check in. Then we were whisked away by a staff member and given information on the resort & the restaurants. We did feel pressured to attend a time share presentation which we later canceled. We are owners with HGVC and we didn't want to sit for another presentation (which we heard from others was at least 2 hrs.+) We stayed in a one bedroom in the Villas with an incredible view of the water. We were able to walk to the Villas pool and it was quite nice and not as crowded. We decided to go with the all-inclusive which in our opinion was a good value. There are many restaurants to choose from and there is plenty of staff walking around to serve food and drinks. We only went into town one time on the shuttle from the resort. The resort is very large and spreadout, but it was good to get the exercise. They maintain the resort well and they are constantly working to improve it. We really enjoyed our relaxing time at the resort. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: we liked being on the lower level closer to the Peninsula restaurant
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 832CLR
John K, General Manager at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
It´s nice to read that you and your husband enjoyed your vacation at Fiesta Americana Grand, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. March is a fantastic time to come to Cabo, the weather is nice and you can still catch a glimpse of a whale or two from your bedroom window. I appreciate your feedback, we have the front desk staff in constant training and guests like you make us want to provide a better service every day. Looking forward to having you as our guest in the near future. Best Regards,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We just returned from a week at this property and were very impressed. Generally, the service provided and quality of the resort itself were excellent, and we sure wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if the opportunity presented itself. We were on the all-inclusive plan.

<b>Resort:</b>
- Service is really good, and there are many staff to take care of you. Food service especially is excellent.
- The glaring exception to the good service is the front desk staff. Not that they are bad, they are just terribly slow. It seems to take ourselves, and others, about 10-15 minutes to get checked in. This creates really long lineups at peak times, such that if you have a minor request it's pretty hard to get it met during those times. It really seems a bit substandard for a place like this.
- The quality of the food is really really good, especially at the a la carte restaurants. La Bodega in particular is fantastic. Can't beat the Peninsula restaurant by the ocean for the breakfast buffet. Seriously, there is no way that our family would be able to have afforded to eat that well at a resort that was not all-inclusive.
- There are several pools, but with our little guy we ended up spending vast amounts of time in the big family pool. It slopes from only inches deep at the one end to about 4.5 feet deep at the ocean end. Great view from there.
- We enjoyed music at the fire pit pretty much every night, starting at 8pm.
- Wifi service is available for free, but was super spotty and unreliable. You certainly can't count on it being there.
- Our son went to the kids club, which was decent. The girls there (Mimi and Maydel) were excellent and very friendly to the kids. They're open from essentially 10am-4pm and have TVs, computers, games, books, etc for the kids. It seems pretty unstructured, but we found it was a nice change of pace for our son for an hour or two at a time. He really enjoyed it.

<b>Room:</b>
- As we had a 4 year old with us, we had a double room. Double room means 2x double beds, not queens. Not ideal, but not terrible either.
- The room included a safe. Big plus.
- Most of the TV channels are in spanish. To be expected, and not like we really spent any time watching TV.
- The room, and the beds especially, was a little worn and could use a touch up for sure.

<b>Other: </b>
- CSL is quite close, about $20USD/20minutes away by taxi. There is a shuttle that runs about once an hour for $10USD pp.
- Forget about walking anywhere from this resort. It's far from anything within walking distance.
- Direct ride from the airport is about 35-40 minutes via the toll road.
- We saw whales in the ocean just off the beach pretty much every day, and iguanas hanging out on the rocks by the pool. Pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor of the main building. This is like the "cart superhighway&quo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank vanbigslick
John K, General Manager at Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you so much for the detailed review of Fiesta Americana Grand. It is a pleasure to know that you and your family enjoyed your vacations with us. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff, they work really hard and will be very happy to hear about your great comments regarding them. We are in the process of upgrading the band width to provide a better WiFi service, hopefully you will see for yourself the improvements next time you stay with us. Best Regards,