WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa

Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Ranked #12 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle, Washington
“Resort but not a luxury resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Front Desk: The lobby of the resort is at 8th floor (top floor) which is quite unusual, so your mind would take time to to get used to the fact that you actually have to go up from your room to get to the lobby. The lobby area is actually very nice the view of ocean from 8th floor is very cool.
The check in process was not that great, don't assume you would get automatically what you booked online. We had to tell the lady, we booked a room in Grand Club, so she gave us a room in Grand Club, we had to tell her breakfast is included in our booking, she took a xerox of of our booking and then included breakfast in our booking.

Room: We got the room at 6th floor(top floor) with a nice ocean view. All the rooms in resort are ocean view. The room and restroom were pretty nice I have nothing bad to say about them, the bed was comfortable, the balcony was big enough to accommodate two chairs, the restroom was clean. My wife really loved the shower. The house keeping service was excellent.

Food: The resort is huge and we felt they don't have enough restaurants. IMO they should have at least 1 more restaurant and 1 casual eating place. Overall the food was good in restaurants and we liked whatever we ordered.

Pools: The best thing about pools was the warm water. we were at the resort in January and temperate fell around 65 and still we were able to use pool because water in the pool was lukewarm.

Beach: The beach is calm but rocky, so you cant really swim in it. The beaches in Los Cabos are generally not swim able because of strong undertow. You have to go little towards the east if you want to swim into the beach. The good thing is there are a lot of fishes, so just bring some bread and snorkel gear and you would be able to see a lot of fishes.

Transportation: The resort is 10 mins drive from downtown of Cabo San Lucas. If you dont have a car commuting to downtown is not that difficult, you can book a shuttle from the front desk for $10 round trip, but the shuttle only runs from 9AM-6PM. We traveled to San Lucas Marina multiple times through the public bus.The bus ride is absolutely safe. All you have to do ask any bellboy at the front desk for a shuttle ride to the bus stop (just tip them whatever you like, as a rule of thumb tip them 17 pesos per person) the bus fare to marina is 20 pesos. When you come back to resort just walk towards the check post and tell guard to call a shuttle from Americana Fiesta.
When you are going towards Marina, just tell the bus drive "marina" and while coming back tell the bus drive you want to get off at "Cabo Del Sol"

Over All: we enjoyed the stay at Fiesta Americana and would recommend this resort to others. Every place has it's pros and cons and for us pros for this place outweighed cons.

Room Tip: Room on top floor would give you nice ocean view. The palm trees block ocean view if you have a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Shahbaz A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our eleven night stay starting January 1, 2013 included five nights in a top floor Deluxe Ocean View room and the next six nights in a top floor Grand Club Ocean View room. The Grand Club rooms include a wonderful continental breakfast and tapas and drinks every evening...wonderful food. Both rooms had vaulted ceilings and excellent views of the beautiful gardens and the ocean. Concierge and front desk staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The pool side amenities and services were excellent and serve staff were friendly, polite and very responsive. In house dining is very expensive. You should consider a rental car or use their shuttle @ $10 per round trip pp to access affordable dining options and activities in Los Cabos or San Jose. One minor flaw was that the very well appointed bathrooms in both rooms had minor water leaks at the base of the toilet (rooms 426 and 643). Expect to be offered a sales promotion tour by your concierge hostess. There are better options elsewhere with better activity benefits. However, take the at some point tour for the benefits but do not purchase their time-share or vacation plan according to other returning guests who had previously done so. I would have given a rating of 4.5 except that internet in rooms and poolside is still not free and is very expensive except for the free access outside the coffee shop. Contrary to all on-line descriptions of this hotel there is no pay TV. Neither my wife or I golf and Fiesta Americana Los Cabos provided a luxurious vacation location and experience for my wife and I. We were very impressed with the facility and the staff. We would return again (but only if we were assured rooms above level two).

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor which have vaulted ceilings and great views. A second from top would also be gre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kayak1949
Charlottesville VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I concur with many of the points made by several of the previous January posters. It is is obvious that they had an expectation that this is a luxury resort. It is all about great golf, with come luxury type benefits thrown in for the non-golfing spouses. I was here with my spouse for the pro am golf tournament, but I also was able to golf daily. The deluxe rooms are a bit on the small side, but the beds are good, the rooms clean and the almost nightly turn down service is lovely. The breakfast buffet was fine, lots of selections. The pools offered something for everyone and there was plenty of availability for a good massage in the spa (ask for Vanessa).
Specific comments I have:
1.the constant barrage of "take the tour and let's talk about vacation club" was tiresome and offensive. Guests were nabbed at check in or when we went to use the "concierge" desk. Not the hallmark of a golf OR luxury resort
2. The tired furniture in the lobby and lobby bar really needs to be replaced, there was not one comfortable place to sit, and the TVs in the afternoon were set to soccer and a soap opera, which the staff seemed to enjoy
3. Speaking of the lobby, there was some scent reminiscent of mentholated that assaulted the senses every time you entered the lobby
4. Our room was over the sluice way, which the front desk said was a lovely view. Please, it is better to be honest than to lie in the hopes that someone will just go away.
5. The entire hotel was kept impeccably clean, and our room and bath the same. Clearly, thee housekeeping staff are proud of what they do and it shows.
6. Cabo is beautiful and the Sea of Cortez was wonderful to sit on the black while drinking excellent margaritas from the pool bar.
7. The bell staff were very professional and a pleasure to speak with as I would be coming and going to the golf courses.
All in all, if you keep realistic expectations, you will enjoy your stay here in one of the most delightful parts of the world.
Ps, stay away from the rooms over the generator, our friends were in 453 or 2, around there and they said it was awful.

Room Tip: Ask specifically about the views and don't be shy about asking for another room should the room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pjd190
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am staying in Cabo while my husband plays in a Pro Am Golf event. This is our second trip to the Cabo area, the last time we stayed at Las Ventanas. The Fiesta Americana Cabo property is dated , rooms in dire need of an update, front desk staff, while friendly, have a limited knowledge of rooms location and views. The service last nite in Rosado , the Italian restaurant ,was beyond slow. Here this hotel has booked over 200 people and knows they will be busy and the restaurant had only 2 waiters . The television stations that are broadcast in English are few and far between( I contrast this with Cancun that has many stations directly broadcast from the US).
We ordered coffee yesterday morning at 530AM, which was delivered very quickly . However the service tray was put outside our door to be picked up by Room Service at 230p when our room was cleaned and was still outside our door at 9 PM when we came back from dinner.
I will say the bed and pillows are very comfortable which is important!
The spa is one of the most beautiful I have seen anywhere. The 80 minute massage I had was wonderful as was my friends service. The value for the spa services is excellent . I highly recommend booking a spa treatment here.
The breakfast buffet choices were plentiful and all food was nicely presented and the correct temperature.
The beach area while not large is nice and the property itself has many infinity pools that are beautiful.
With some updating to this property and employing more waitstaff this surely could match its sister Fiesta Americana properties in Mexico.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank diamondgirl22
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are many nice resorts in Mexico. On the surface, this looks like one of them. It's really not. Why? I'll make you a list:

1. Food. Not good. Not horrible, but really, not good. And your choices are super limited. Nothing healthy or creative. And actually really poorly done Mexican food at way too high a cost. $22 for dry chicken fajitas? Not cool.

2. Noisy if you get stuck in a room by the "Fire Pit." They have a band playing several nights a week. It's a good band, but I don't want to feel like I'm sitting in the front row of a concert when I'm in my room trying to relax. And when I called the front desk manager to inquire how late they played, I was told 10 p.m. They played their last song at 11:20 pm. Not the best way to manage customer expectations. We asked to be moved, which they did (after mentioning several times that they were at 98% occupancy) up two floors and down 5 doors. So clearly NOT going to solve the problem.

3. When I called the front desk to make the above point, I was assured that they band wouldn't be back all week. What they failed to mention is that they'd hired some guy to scream into a microphone while playing bad 80s music outside our room for 5-plus hours on New Year's Eve. Our plan to stay in for a relaxing evening was shot. But I'm not paying these rates for them to bring the party to me. Especially not until 2am!! Which is when they finally shut the party down (even though, again, we had been given misinformation by the manager who said it would be over by 12:20am).

4. There's no free shuttle into town. And it's a $20 cab ride each way. With the limited (and bad) food options, you don't have much of a choice.

5. Sat by the pool for literally HOURS without anyone coming by to take drink orders. Service by the pool was exceptionally slow. And the iced tea was crap.

6. Activity coordinator at the pool was extremely rude. When we asked him something in perfectly clear Spanish he laughed at us and said "I love it when people try to speak Spanish! Hahahaha!" Completely condescending.

7. The concierge refused to book our transportation back to the airport. Really? Isn't that the very definition of your job? To book airport transportation for your guests? If not, then I have no idea what your job actually is. Absurd. And ended up costing us a $65 cab ride.

Not pleased with my stay, I asked for a refund for the two nights we were disturbed. After some negotiations, we got credit for one night. Honestly, I would have rather paid the full price for a relaxing stay. Go elsewhere. This place will only disappoint. Except the spa. I'll give them credit for that. It's beautiful. Of course, they have to ruin it by trying to charge $15/person to use the health club.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MNatalieN
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have a great time at the hotel and its surroundings. Cabo San Lucas Marina and Bahía de Santa María beach are a few minutes away, as well as San José del Cabo. Service at the Fiesta Americana was outstanding. I will surely comeback. Minor cons. beds in our room were kind of soft, and breakfast buffet was average for the price.

Room Tip: Chose a high floor with a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

The hard sell for the time share was enough to put me off going back to the hotel...let alone buy a time share.

Actual hotel was nice, it was the service and food. Getting good service was rare, sitting waiting for order to be taken for 15-20 minutes was common, similar time for food to arrive with main dishes arriving at different times, the food that arrived would also not be what we ordered...we usually just accepted it as we wanted lunch not dinner. Menus were not what I would expect from an upper market hotel, especially the kids menu which was burgers, hotdogs and pasta. None of this sounds too bad and could be forgiven for a short stay, but after 2 weeks we were sick of it and headed home early. Feeding your 3 year old from an over priced adult menu just so she can get something healthy grew old.

We had payed extra for the club, the hope was for something more than what we got, enough tables for 6 families, enough food for 3 families....about 20 families all using it...the alternative was sit by the pool. At least inside the fruit was only covered in fruit flies and not wasps as outside...a little off putting.

If we go back to Cabo, we will stick with what we know, the Hilton, you pay the same but get wwhat you pay for.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family