“great venue”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed March 27, 2007

we just returned from our second visit to cabo san lucas, mexico
last visit was a corporate event at a hotel on the corridor, this time on our own we decided to book in town and chose the finisterra. what a delightful hotel! so close to the marina yet seems totally remote from the hustle and bustle of cabo. the beach is private and no vendors on the beach is delightful since you get so hounded downtown. the service at the hotel was exemplary..the pools are great..even on cooler days there are like 10 hottubs always hot and bubbling around the pools..
my one complaint was that the mattresses on the beds are like cconcrete and i literally went downtown and bought an air mattress for my side of the bed..i heard many people complain about that

we saw so many whales right off the coast of where the hotel is we finally decided to go out whale watching and the concierge set up a great adventure for us..we loved it

we walked into town and back twice a day and i figured out we walked probably 8-10 miles a day..no wonder im exhausted!!

i highly recommend finisterra if you want basic, clean, good service and great location for not a ton of money

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ebjones

Reviewed March 18, 2007

We went to Cabo with one thing in mind...see Sammy Hagar at the Cabo Wabo Cantina! As luck would have it, and after reading the many reviews on this site, we chose to stay at Finisterra. The day we arrived, Jan.4, we met people who had been going to Cabo for 10+ years - and staying at this hotel. Sammy was still in town and was giving his last show of the New Year the next night. His band was at our hotel and hanging poolside every day we were there. Most everyone at the poolbar was a Sammy fan, and told us the secret of getting the free tickets to the show. The morning of a show, before 8:00, go to the Cantina and get in line at the front door. If you are one of the first 150 or so, each person in line gets 2 tickets to that nights show. We got there at 7:45 and were about 75th in line. The show was great and the crowd was really into it. About the hotel...the food is great and reasonable. The staff is great - especially all of the guys at the poolbar. Happy hour every day from 2 to 5 pm - 2 for 1 Mexican beers and blender cocktails. Can you say mucho Margaritas?! Pay the extra bucks to get an oceanview Club room - the view is fabulous!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank RedheadSt.Louis
Reviewed March 18, 2007

My friend and I started are spring break trip here. We only stayed one night before going to the Riu. Check in was easy and the front desk was pleasant. The hotel is very cute. We had a marina view. We stayed in the old section of the hotel. The rooms were dated, but large and spacious. The beds are firm, but not rock hard, I slept like a log. At first none of our lamps worked and maintenance had to come to fix the lighting. The water in the shower only gets luke warm at best. But other than that it was a very cute hotel in walking distance to all the nightlife in Cabo. The only reason we didn’t stay longer was because we wanted to stay at an All inclusive, but if that isn’t a big deal to you then this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank Starrlett555
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We stayed at the Finisterra 10th to the 17th. We normally stay at the Westin as we have a timeshare there, we wanted something different this year and closer to town.
The Finisterra was fine. The hotel was clean, the staff were real nice and the overall experience was a good one.
Some people have mentioned that there is an uphill walk to the hotel from the street level and is true but for a regular person it is easy. Beware!!! if you walk up to the hotel be very careful if you walk on the grass on the middle of the street. I came across a very well hidden hole on the ground (about a foot and a half deep), this was totally covered up by grass and I came close to breaking my leg....just an fyi for you.
Food and drinks were fairly priced. Cabo has now become expensive and you have to hunt out the cheaper good quality places to eat and drink.
Casa Rafael is the place to go for your best dinner of the vacation. The food was great, the location was good and the service was A+. Yes it's a little pricey but well worth it.

I guess spring break starts earlier now because there were some young people there (and I am not old but....) who obviously do not normally drink. There was a fair amount of bad language and lot of noise, I like to party like the rest but there were some small kids around and the staff should have curbed some of the behaviour.

The pools are nice albeit a little cold sometimes but the hot tubs are there, one hot tub could have cooked a 14lb turkey in 10mins I swear....it was way too hot.

Look at the end of the day we found very little wrong with this hotel, everything was as we expected. And yes I would suggest a stay here if you want to visit Cabo.

Stayed: March 2007
7  Thank Garma
Reviewed March 16, 2007

We (my husband, 16 & 20 year old sons and I ) just returned from our second visit to Cabo and our second stay at the Finisterra. So many of the comments I read from other posters about their trips seem to forget that Mexico is not the US. We had no problems with anything by just relaxing, using a little common courtesy and tipping well (especially at the beginning of the week). Most of the service workers were extremely helpful and polite, but they make very little and a few dollars goes a long way to ensuring good service! Actually, upon checkin we were given rooms on the second floor, but really wanted to be higher for a better view. The hotel was pretty full, so my husband gave the desk clerk $20 and we were found rooms on the 5th floor. We just consider tips the insurance cost of a nice vacation and factor them into our budget, like taxis . I worried about what the spring break crowd would be like, but it was no problem at all. The Finisterra had a few groups of college students, but not many more than I might have expected at any vacation time. We had lunch at The Office and Medano Beach was definitely college central. As other posters have mentioned there is construction next door to the Finisterra (other side from Playa Grande). The noise was constant but not too loud when we where there. Others had said the pools weren't heated and too cool to swim in, but we found the water temperature was perfect and I hate cold water. The pools are beautiful and we never had trouble getting chairs at any time of day. On the negative side, we did find the mattresses to be hard, but if you ask at the front desk for a foam mattress topper they will be happy to put them on your bed. We were there at the end of whale watching season and saw a few from the Whale Watcher Bar (take your binoculars). We booked a whale watching trip, but it got canceled due to rough water and we didn't have time to reschedule. Oh well, another reason to go back! Our favotie places to eat were Mi Casa , The Office and La Dolce (in San Jose del Cabo). Weren't real impressed with The Trailer Park (original). We also did a fishing trip with Minerva's on the Minerva III. Very impressed with everything from their box lunches, clean boats,fishing skill and of course, catching four Marlin didn't hurt either! We will definitely book with them again. A great trip and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank dfwtraveler
Reviewed March 13, 2007

We first stayed at Finisterra in 1991, & our most recent visit was in Jan. 2007. Things have certainly changed! All in all, I'd highly recommend the Hotel Finisterra. You might want to ask about construction before booking. In Jan. 2007, there were 2 nearby construction projects: on the beach & on the adjacent hillside. It wasn't too bad when we were there, but they work 6 days a week, & the noise varies depending on what phase of construction they're in (in Jan. they were just getting started). Best to ASK!

I wholeheartedly agree with other reviewers who were drawn to the Finisterra because of its low-key ambiance & central location. It's near everything, without being in the midst of all the craziness that can be Cabo.

We were timeshare owners at Finisterra & always stayed in room B27 in the old section. We LOVE it. You can see the Pacific from the balcony (see photo) & the Sea of Cortez out the front door. Plus, B27 is at the end of the corridor, so it's the end room. Result is, there's a wrap-around balcony & no one walks past your room. The maid we had the last 3 years was THE BEST. She goes way above & beyond. She always has a BIG smile. She makes towel swans & decorates with flowers & petals. On your last night... ohhh la la! (see photo)

TV pretty much sucks, but there's so much else to do!

As for FOOD: The restaurant & bar at the hotel are EXCELLENT! You must try the Nachos Finisterra! Get them at the Whale Watcher bar with happy hour margaritas! Yum! The hotel's weekly surf & turf buffet & the breakfast buffet are also good bets. There are many great restaurants in Cabo. Some of our favorites are Sea Queen (share the lobster!), Sancho Panza's (great jazz music & excellent food) & Pancho's (moletes for breakfast), all within walking distance. For your quasi-Starbuck's fix, try the Theory Cafe, (tucked away behind the No Where Bar). A little farther, but still walking distance are Peacock's & La Caza del Pozo (wonderful lobster signature dish). If you have a car or are up for riding the bus, Villa Serena is a favorite of ours. We go there everytime we're in Cabo. Cheap lobster! If you make a day trip to San Jose del Cabo, try Don Emiliano's restaurant.

For airport transport, I believe the shuttle you sign up for at hotel reception is the cheapest.

On a final note, I don't know which room the people with the hard bed were staying in. The bed in our room was wonderful. As for the carniverous elevator... that part's true. There is an elevator that will gobble you or your suitcase up if you don't move quickly! (c;

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SkwerlyOne
Reviewed March 2, 2007

Finisterra is a great place to stay if you are looking to be within walking distance of everything, yet far enough from some of the evening noise or hype of the Medano beach area. It's a 2 minute walk down the hill to the center of the Marina and a 5 minute walk to any of the Marina restaurants and shops. Our oceanview room on the 3rd floor was larger, cleaner, newer, and overall -- better than expected. Finisterra seems to sit at ground zero for whale watching too (a number of the charter boats hang out about 50 yards from Finisterra's beach at sunset). Calling family back in the US who were shoveling snow while we were sitting on our balcony watching the whales at the sunset was surreal. Our beds and pillows were as good as most US hotels and the cleaning people certainly earn their pay (we had to come back to the room while it was being cleaned and walked in on the cleaning lady literally scrubbing our tub on her hands and knees the way grandma would back in the old days. Try finding that kind of daily service in the US). I was very pleased to find that the in-room safe worked perfectly and there were more than enough hangers for my wife and I to hang our evening clothes. The television got at least 5 or 6 English speaking channels and it came in clearly. The shower and bathroom sink worked just fine and the air conditioner got the room as cold as we needed it. Although we had neighbors on either side, we had no problem with hearing people in the adjacent rooms. I'd recommend stopping at a store on the way from the airport for some drinks and snacks to keep in the room refrigerator as it takes a while to scope out the local markets. We were also glad to have some coke and lemonade in the room after fending off the timeshare sharks at the airport and dealing with the check in process at the hotel. To our surprise, the gift shop is actually not overpriced like most decent places. T shirts, sunglasses, jewelry - reasonable in light of being in a hotel with no other in-hotel competition. The unheated pools did leave me wondering who's idea that is/was. Got funny watching people test out the water and then have to jump right into the hot tub. Finisterra - keep em heated all year round. Your guests will be a lot happier. Poolside waiters are fine but be careful with happy hour drinks (2 for 1 drinks from 2PM to 4PM). My wife ordered a strawberry daq and I ordered a mojito. Instead of getting 2 drinks brought to us, we got 4. We don't drink that fast and thus, drinks #2 were already melted/watery by the time we got to them. And um, why are the "non alcoholic" pina coladas not subject to the 2 for 1 deal?? I wanted no alcohol in the drink, but yet it cost me more than if I'd gotten liquor in it? Seemed like a bad business decision for the hotel.
Although my wife got sick of eating there or me suggesting eating there, The Stop Light was my favorite restaurant. Open air, right in the heart of things, great food, quite reasonably priced seafood, friendly waiters, a nice dessert selection and good coffee (although the coffee was pretty strong and one cup at 11 PM kept me up way past my bedtime...).
As much as I liked Finisterra, overall I was that disappointed with downtown Cabo. Way too many street vendors hassling me to buy anything from a bracelet, t-shirt, a whalewatching tour, water taxi, marijuana or cocaine (true). The local paper opined that because Cancun has finally cleaned up after Hurricane Wilma, that they've stolen business back from Cabo, causing the locals to step up their "marketing" efforts. Whatever the reason, I didn't expect to be approached as much as we were around the Marina. In fact, on two separate nights, we just ordered room service for dinner because I didn't have it in me to say "no thank you" 20 or 30 times on the way to dinner. Friendly negotiating for some jewelry was expected, but routinely advising people that I was all set with "weed and blow" and that we didn't want to schedule anymore fishing lost its humor after the first 50 times. All in all, this was a great hotel and I'd definitely stay there again. The waterfall, the lobby, the oceanfront rooms, the location -- wonderful. Just wish the city of Cabo was as hassle free.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Posada Real Los Cabos
Posada Real Los Cabos
#22 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!