“Spectacular”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed November 3, 2006

Beaurtiful hotel, fantastic staff ( wait staff was fast and extremely courteous; our room were immaculate with great towel animals), stunning scenery and great location; enough said . Going back as soon as I can. Dollars and Pesos are accepted in Cabo with Visa and Mastercard. Be sure to ask they will take for payment before purchasing. Puerto Paraiso Mall has set but good prices on merchandise with the Marina and restaurants at the same location. If you like to bargain, check several vendors out first.; price can vary greatly on the same item. There is some construction around the hotel and throughout Cabo. Do the Costa Azul Xtreme Canopy tour for some fun which includes free water,soft drinks, tequila tour with taste samples and you can purchase cervezas. Transportation to and from your hotel is included too.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Snog

Reviewed October 14, 2006

Hotel Finisterra saved my life!!! I chaperoned a senior grad trip to Cabo. The students arranged the trip so I really wasn't expecting this! The hotel is a picture post card. The staff, beyond wonderful. The rooms, spacious, clean, spectacular views. The pool area was amazing. Happy Hour at the Palapa Bar in the pool is a must do! I'm going back without the kids!!!

• Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank CCMADONNA
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I was a little worried about staying at the Finisterra after some of the reviews I read, but I was pleasantly suprised! This hotel has beautiful views, awesome pools, friendly staff, and is close to the town and marina. We stayed in the older section (D) and while the room was a bit of a walk from the other amenities, the view of the marina was beautiful and the partial kitchen was nice to keep some snacks, breakfast foods, and leftovers. The bed was not hard at all as some of the other reviews claimed. The food was above average, although I enjoyed my meals/snacks at the pool restaurant more than at the blue marlin and whale watcher bar. All in all a great experience and I would definilty recommend staying at the Finisterra!

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank jesica916
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We just returned from this hotel after staying for what ended up being a very nice relaxing vacation. I had been reading reviews on this website for months prior to our vacation and honestly I was a little nervous for what we might encounter when we arrived. We stayed at the Hotel Finisterra from Sept 25 thru Oct 2 and besides the fact that we decided to vacation during the most humid time of the year (at times the humidity was almost unbearable) we decided to put that behind us and make the best of our time spent here. We are from Los Angeles, CA. so we were really looking forward to just having some downtime and getting a break from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives and that is exactly what we did! Upon arrival, we experienced the hotel staff to be pleasant. They didn't exactly go out of their way for us and they were a little chit-chatty with one another but they were still very nice. I figured I didn't want to start my vacation out by complaining about their customer service manners or lack thereof. It wasn't really that big of a deal to us. We had the good fortune of having a nice room (323) in the new section with a beautiful view of the ocean and the pools and we never once experienced anything wrong with the room the whole entire time we were here. The maid came everyday to clean and only once did she knock when we were there. None of this 8 o'clock wake up call business like I had previously read. They do have a sign you can place on the door if you don't want to be disturbed. The hotel restaurants were OK, not great, just OK. We did order room service quite a bit and seemed to have better food when we did. Be careful though, we always tipped the guys who brought us our food and then we ended up being charged for their tips once again when we checked out. It was some kind of tax the guy at the front desk explained. You're much better off going into town for your meals. I was a little surprised but we had a hard time finding really good authentic Mexican food in Cabo at first, so by word of mouth we ended up at Poncho's Restaurant and Tequila Bar and found many delicious real Mexican food items on their menu. We visited that restaurant several times. One night we ventured out onto the CaboRey, which is a dinner cruise ship that sails out of the marina at sunset. We had a delicious dinner that was carefully prepared by chefs and professional dancers later entertained us. It was very nice!
I had a deep tissue massage at the spa at the Finisterra and the lady did a really good job of working out the tension I had built up over the past months. The T.V. reception in the rooms is not the greatest but I figured, hey, I'm not here to watch T.V. anyway. The hotel was not that full which was perfect for us. We were in total lazy vacation mode and enjoyed the fact that the hotel was somewhat empty. We never had to deal with crowds by the pools. Eventually we managed to get used to the climb back up to the hotel. If you've ever been here, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Beware! We were accosted at the airport by many hotel salesmen/representatives and we were immediately swindled into attending a presentation, which I didn't really appreciate, especially when I have been reading all of these reviews for so long. I felt so confident that I was prepared to ignore every single one of them, but ended up doing exactly the opposite. Clearly, it is nearly impossible to escape them! The presentation we agreed to attend which they say will take only 75 minutes ended up taking a little over 4 hours and by the time we left we were so glad to finally get out of there. I'm not sure if the 30-50% you receive off of your activities is worth the long dragged out sales presentation you have to endure with a pushy salesman trying to get you to buy a timeshare while your on vacation but when it was all over with, we did receive our money back like originally promised and then went on to have a great time doing the activities which we signed up for like the ATV's, wave runners, glass bottom boat and discounts on a dinner coupon which we never used. We tipped until we were blue in the face, I got so sick of tipping everyone and their mother after awhile but I guess that's Cabo for you, or that's what I hear anyway. Those hotel guys seemed to be everywhere, on every corner on every street and that gets old real fast but I quickly learned not to even make eye contact with them and just walk past them, my boyfriend was much nicer to them than I was. It drives you nuts after awhile and you try and be nice at first but it seems like they prey on the nice tourists.
Overall, we had an amazing trip and ended up having a much better time than we ever expected. I can't remember the last time I've seen water so blue. My advice is to leave your laptops and your worries behind and just enjoy the beaches and all of the beauty this place has to offer. We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
19  Thank daizee1005
Reviewed October 3, 2006

I went to the Finisterra expecting the worst after I read some of the reviews so my expectations were not very high but I was pleasantly surprised. I booked the least expensive room since I was there by myself so it didn't have an ocean view but I did have a rock and waterfall view at the hotel entrance.

My room was very clean and the maid made the most beautiful towel and tissue animals--I hated to use them. They had cable TV so there were several American shows available to watch.

Their pools are absolutely stunning. They have three on different levels. The middle one was the most fun with games and a swim up bar for food and drinks. The waiters will also come around to the lounges and take your order. Please keep in mind that you are in Mexico and nobody here gets in a hurry--so just sit back and enjoy the sun. The chicken fajitas were great and they had happy hour with 2 for 1 drinks from 2 to 4 everyday.

The ocean is beautiful but too rough for swimming.

I found the staff to be very accommodating--I had to borrow the front desks scissors several times and also had them make copies for me--which they didn't charge me for.

I had a rental car and I would just pull up to the front and the bell boy would take my keys and park it for me. I tipped them a dollar each time they parked it or retrieved it for me--they were great.

I definitely would recommend the Hotel Finisterra to anyone. Just remember that you are in Mexico and there may be a small comunnication gap so be friendly and you will usually get whatever you want. Enjoy the slow pace and have a margarita for me!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank matthewscasa
Reviewed September 29, 2006

We will definitely return to the Finisterra. We went for total relaxation and lazing around, and that's exactly what we were able to attain at this hotel. The views from the rooms of the Palapa Beach Club section are amazing and gorgeous. Next time I would ask for a higher floor, but even the ground floor was awesome. The room was large, clean, pretty, and totally acceptable. The beds ARE firm but it didn't bother us. There was noise from outside our door when revelers returned to their rooms laughing and talking loudly. Maid service was odd; they knocked around 9am but didn't come back to clean the room until about 12pm or as late as 2pm- since they spoke zero English, I have no idea what the "preview" was about. Note: if you are a coffee snob like me, SKIP the in-room coffee and order it from room service each morning! Or bring your own with cone filters and use the 4-cup in-room coffee maker.

The pool scene was great; never a crowd, no reason to reserve a chair at the crack of dawn, friendly staff coming around to offer drinks and food. There are 3 pools in the same area; two are quieter and the one by the swim up bar is livelier. The pools are right on the beach, so you have the benefit of the lovely view without sand in your crevices and/or certain death from the undertow. I hopped in and out of the pool all day to keep cool and was able to enjoy the hot sun longer that way. Note: The drinks at the Palapa Pool Bar were not as strong as at the Whale Watcher Bar and Blue Marlin Restaurant.

The hotel itself is lovely, the staff pleasant, with shuttles to take you 'down the hill' the hotel sits on or cabs to take you into town. It's also a very easy walk down the hill and into town if you are reasonably able-bodied. Be aggressive in your bargaining for items in town (souveniers, silver, etc); you will see the same items over and over and the vendors don't want you to walk next door to get a better price.

I had no complaints about this hotel- travel is supposed to take us outside of our usual routine and I celebrate the things that are 'different' on vacation. The beauty and the views and the sunsets can't be beat. I'm already looking to book again in April!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank BeachBuni
Reviewed September 20, 2006

Travel Agent: Apples Vacations
Length of Stay: September 15th to September 18th
Reason: Honeymoon, Close to downtown Cabo San Lucas
-----------------------------------
We chose the Finisterra because it had great reviews and it was close to down. But after we booked and when the time came closer for us to leave on our honeymoon the reviews here took a downturn and for very good reasons. Even with some of the bad reviews in August, I figured compared to the number of good reviews I still wanted to give the Finisterra a chance. By the time we arrived not only did they fail, but they honestly didn't care.

To give you some background my husband and I stayed at another resort on the Corridor for 4 nights prior to the Finisterra and decided that our last 3 nights be in a resort closer to town. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I honestly wish that we returned to the first resort rather than try to give the Finisterra a chance to shine like so many of the earlier reviews written had indicated.

Friday, September 15th
---------------------------------------------
Check-In: First impression is that the lobby is very nicely decorated and pleasant, however the staff in the hotel such as the Concierge, Activities desk all seemed very casual and lax like they had nothing better to do then to hang around and chat. The front desk check-in staff was courteous, but no one seemed happy to be there or made you feel very welcome either.

Checking in was easy and I made sure our Apples Rep requested a room on the "new" side based on the reviews written here on Trip Advisor. I still asked Thomas if there was any chance for an upgrade since we were on our honeymoon. (The previous resort upgraded us to a very nice suite). Thomas just reassured us, "Oh you already have a very NICE room booked." and then he asked us if we had a Honeymoon voucher from Apples for special ammenities which we didn't (due to some mix-up with the Apples Rep at the airport).

We also asked if the Apples Rep was onsite in the hotel and Thomas misinformed us and told us that the Apples Rep comes for a few hours everyday and we had to contact them from the Concierge desk. Well when we called the Apples Rep down there they told us they do not come to the resort at all unless we want them to come. The thing that struck me about the staff at this hotel is that you can't get a straight answer or the correct answer out of anyone and everyone has different answers.

We were also greeted by a Hostess that was going to go give us some information on the hotel as well as information about Cabo, this completely smelled of soft-sell timeshare but we agreed to come back down before she left at 3:30pm.

The 1st Room: 406 -- Remember Thomas said it was a very nice room on the "new side". Well I can tell you that they have no idea what "new" means at this hotel. I knew what we were in for, because the pictures of the rooms with the crazy multi-color bed spread is pretty much what you get. But what they don't have pictures of is the very old and dated bathrooms and the torn up area rugs.

The other thing was the minute we walked into our room we were overwhelmed by incredible mildew/mold stench. This room seriously smelled like it had recently been flooded. We immediately opened up the sliding glass door which the outer screen door had no handle and tried to air the room out. The smell was so strong that my sinuses instantly acted up and I had a horrible headache, so I told my husband to go get us a new room NOW.

He went down again and we were given a new room: 506 with minimal apologies and without them bothering to send up another bellboy to help us move. My husband was going to give Thomas 2 chances to make it right before we'd go back to the first resort so he checked 506 and it was fine so we moved up one floor and into the new room.

The 2nd Room: 506 -- Looked exactly like 406, the rugs were in better condition and no MILDEW/MOLD smell! And the screen door had a handle on it "Yay". Whoever stayed in the room prior to us bathed themselves in suntan oil because the oily residue was all over the balcony railing and on the screen door handle.

The bathroom was the same as 406, both had that stinky new shower curtain smell...but hey at least it was clean! Also, every drawer in the room had bad mold/mildew smell as soon as you opened it up, so we elected not to unpack our belongings and just keep them in the suitcases. I did hang up our items in the closet which was fine.

We went back down to talk to the hostess Sasha who provided us with 2 free margarita vouchers for the Whale Watcher bar. Sasha was really sweet and nice, she gave us all the information we needed about the resort as well a map of Cabo and pointed out key things of interest and an activities list which was a segue way into tempting us into a timeshare presentation.

The offer was a 45 minute presentation, free breakfast, $200 in hotel credit and 50% off of activities which we politely declined and she didn't really push it. Though she still insisted on giving us an open ended invitation to attend the presentation. I understood that this was part of her job and we didn't hear anything about timeshares again.

They have 3 pools at the hotel and the center one with the swim up bar/Palapa Restaurant was under construction. This is the slow season so all you see was waiters milling about chatting it up watching TV. It happened to be 2 for 1 happy hour when we went down for lunch and even though I said only 2 drinks, the waiter still brought us 4 and we let it slide. We ordered chicken nachos which was a deal at $8.00 and the portions huge and fish tacos all of which was standard fare, I've eaten way better Mexican in Chicago. The 1st pool closest to the hotel was quiet and third pool was rowdy and had a shot girl running around encouraging pool volleyball and drinking.

Tropical Storm Lane was turning into a Hurricane at this point coming up the Sea of Cortez and we couldn't get any good answer out of any of the hotel staff, so we called the Apples Rep and they reassured us it wasn't a big deal. So for dinner we went into town to Mi Casa which was recommended by the hostess, I noticed during the latter part of our trip that every restaurant we went to asked us which hotel we were staying at and which room number. It seems very scammy to me that everyone is getting kickbacks for directing tourists on where they should go, I for one was not comfortable giving out that information.

Saturday, September 16th
-------------------------------------------------
We really was not crazy about the hotel or it's facilities, the beds are hard and I like a firm bed and they give you 3 flat and lifeless pillows. The thermal blanket we underneath the coverlet had cigarette burn holes in it. So we elected to spend as little amount of time in the hotel room as possible, I also flagged down the housekeeping staff and asked her for an extra bed sheet to cover the mildewy smelling couch.

For breakfast we went to the Mango Café and then returned to the hotel and decided to go down to the 1st pool, the 3rd pool was extremely loud and rowdy and they had some serious pool volleyball game going. The pools at the hotel are nice, but not kept extremely clean where you found leaves and twigs in it. The blue towels they give you are rather thin and shredded and the plastic lounge chairs are the most uncomfortable I've ever been in where it's impossible to lay flat and you can't snap it into place either. We didn't get any drink service until my husband went down and we finally got one waiter Everado who kept us supplied with drinks for the rest of the day which was nice.

Dinner we chose to eat at the Blue Marlin, and this restaurant is very nice…well appointed and has a wonderful water fountain and a view of the hotel and partial view of the ocean. The dinner rolls they gave us were warm, but they were hard and stale…that was something I didn't expect and they had large glass bottles of Voss water which tasted like water out of the tap. The waiter opened the bottle and I didn't see any seal on it, so I have to kind of wonder. We were determined to keep the honey on our honeymoon and luckily dinner was superb, my husband had filet and lobster and I had the sea bass all of which was wonderfully prepared. We walked up to the Whale Watcher bar was equally beautiful but the cigar smoke was so thick we elected not to stay.

We felt pretty feisty and decided to go into town, we went to this dance club called The Zoo and then ended up at El Squid Roe…we were pretty hammered by the time we got back to our hotel and was ready to shower and sleep. Mid way brushing our teeth our water got turned off, we called the front desk and they said they'd have maintenance check on it, we waited about an hour and decided they'd probably have it fixed by morning so went to bed.

Sunday, September 17th
-------------------------------------------------
Next morning I wake up at 7:30am needing to use the restroom and the water was still shut-off. At this point I was worried that the hotel was having plumbing problems, so I went to the lower level of the hotel to use the restroom and to see if the water was running and it was. I'm half asleep and hung over so I go up to the front desk and there is Thomas again and I tell him that I'm really unhappy that the water issue wasn't taken care of when we called the night prior and that I wanted it taken care of ASAP. I don't actually get any real apology here and they've done nothing to try to make me feel better about this resort and it really surprises me since Thomas is well aware of the issues we've had since we have arrived.

He did immediately get on the phone to place some calls and some woman who appeared to be an manager started grilling me at what time I called and she looked like she didn't even believe that we called the night before. Thomas offered another room for us to shower and wash up while this was taken care of, but I refused and just asked that the problem in our room be taken care of. After my experience with them, I didn't dare go to yet another room with who knows what problems. The lady manager rather brusquely told me to return to my room and that they would have it taken care of. Well about 1/2 hour later maintenance finally shows up and goes down the hall and turns the water back on! It's a miracle! I'm pretty ticked about how easy it was for them to get the water back on, but we don't make an issue of it. At this point I'm a bit afraid of the hotel and it's staff and don't like the idea of them messing with us during our stay there especially since I want to order room service this morning.

Room service breakfast I expected to be good like the Blue Marlin, well let's just say it was edible. The eggs were runny with the edges fried to death, the toast was a bit soggy which I expected and the hash browns were mushy and all the coffee creamer containers had some sticky film on them, but the coffee was good. We left the breakfast tray in the room by accident and went to town for lunch, by the time we returned the housekeeping had visited but the tray was still in the room so we set it outside. By dinnertime we left the room and the tray was still sitting there and went to Alexander's on the recommendation of the Concierge which by the way the food and service was terrible. When we returned after dinner and our last night of shopping our tray was finally removed.

We attempted to call the front desk about 5 times after midnight to set-up a wake up call and no one ever answered so we gave up and used the room radio alarm. For some reason the pillows smell mildewy even after housekeeping and we both start having our sinuses act up so we sit on the balcony for a bit and then try to return to bed. It was one of the most uncomfortable nights I've had in a long time and it took me forever to fall asleep.

Monday, September 18th
-------------------------------------------------
I'm really glad that it's time for us to leave this hotel and we can't wait. We order room service for breakfast since we don't feel like venturing into town again before our 10:00am pick-up. We order the American breakfast again and the eggs are only slightly runny and the hash browns are crispy this time which made me happy. The coffee was still good but the creamer containers still had this sticky slime on it which I had no idea what it was. They didn't send a bellboy up to get us and I didn't want to bother calling down for one and we left housekeeping a decent tip and a $10 unused phone card. Check-out went smoothly and we were both so relieved when we finally left this hell hole.

Conclusion:
------------------------
Resort: It has some almost posh areas such as the Blue Marlin Restaurant and the Whale Watcher Bar, the pool area is very nice and charming though it could be up kept a tad more. The lobby is open and airy and very well kept and all the hallways have a great breeze that runs through it. On the outside this is a very charming looking resort, if only the rooms could match it.

Another note is that the hotel is located at the top of a cliff and it's about a 10 minute walk into town. They do have a complimentary shuttle bus that shuttles you up and down, however the shuttle bus stops convieniently in front of this little shack that is housed by a timeshare rep. In fact the hostess Sasha warned us about him and told us he'd say he worked for the Finisterra but he doesn't . Luckily we rarely saw him and he was too lazy to bother us. We didn't bother using the shuttle bus much, nor did we bother doing the walk to town except for 2-3 times. We were lazy and chose to cab it most of the time, depending on where you went in town it was either $6 or $10 for the cab ride.

Rooms: These are the new beach side rooms and though they have a good view of the ocean, your view is partially blocked by the two huge Palapa buildings by the pools. The problem with the rooms is they are NASTY, the furniture is dated the area rugs are beat-up and if the room doesn't smell the drawers in the room smell as if they've been flooded numerous times. On the surface the rooms appear nice, but once you stay in one it was no better than a Motel 6 room. The tiled floors are nice and practical, but during our stay they must've been doing paint work or something in the room above us (606) because we kept hearing furniture being dragged around and it was loud. The sound barrier between rooms weren't that great either since we could hear our neighbors going at it and we could hear conversations in the hallway outside our door. The air conditioning also won't work if you have the sliding glass door open which is practical for energy savings.

Staff: This is about the laziest hotel staff I've ever run into, and they really just don't care about their guests period and we are very accommodating and easy going people. Most of my time on the resort I just saw them milling about chatting it up with each other very casual. This is not a customer service centered hotel and the front desk staff are definitely not friendly except for this one lady, but even her niceness was lukewarm. The only warm and friendly people I met there was the hostess Sasha and the doorman Freddy, these two were the only ones that seemed genuinely interested in making our stay enjoyable.

September is the slow season in Cabo and I can forgive some things, but the Finisterra should definitely pay better attention to taking care of their customers during a time that they need to make money. I didn't give the hotel the lowest rating because that would be unfair since our stay did have some nice points even though it was far and few in between and we gave them more than 1 chance to make our stay better. I truly regret not changing hotels the first day we were there, but hey this was a learning experience and now in the future if my 1st impression is bad and the hotel doesn't make a good effort to make it up to me then I'm moving hotels. I will most certainly tell my Apple Rep to not recommend this place to anyone else and neither will I. And we most definitely will never return to the Finisterra again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple