“Don't bother with a $160 room”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't bother with a $160 room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2006

My wife and I were recently on honeymoon in Mexico, and used Cabo as a base before and after a road trip. We are well travelled backpakers, and stayed in five different places in Baja during a 12 day visit. We had seen the Finisterra on Tripadvisor, and thought we'd have a bit of luxury for the last 2 days, and booked a room for $160 per night. Not a massive price for Cabo - but lets be honest, its not cheap is it? We did know that this was a no-sea-view room, but it turned out to be the worst place we stayed. The hotel grounds are very glamourous and the pool and beach are lovely. However, the room was located in a separate builiding, a massive hike from the road. It looked out over the harbour which was quite good, but it really, really stank of sweat. The bedding was not clean(!!), which is actually upsetting after a 12 hour drive! The room was generally dusty, outdated and was without exaggeration not worthy of a 2 star. When we checked out, the guy at reception kept us waiting for our taxi to the airport, for 25 minutes, while someone was checking our minibar stock (which we hadn't touched). We found this to be very disrespectful, and made us even more glad to leave. We did stay in San Jose earlier which was much nicer. We only went to Cabo as we enjoy Scuba Diving, but we would not go back (very much like an overpriced Majorca or another tacky Spanish resort). In summary-don't bother unless you can afford the $300 rooms. (you may get better service too).

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Polish first
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2006

My wife and I were at the Finisterra last week, Sat to Sat, and found it wonderful. Location is great - the marina and downtown are steps away, as others have said. There is construction of the dolphin swim pool and a bus terminal going on, but we managed to walk around and sometimes thru it. We had a top of the line one-BR suite - paid a LOT for it, but it was our 25th anniversary, and treated ourselves. They gave us the 8th (top) flr in the Palapa beach club, where there are only 2 units - private and quiet. Watched the super bowl in the beach club bar with everyone else, and had a blast. Complaints - The pools were chilly, but the hot tubs took care of that. The bed was not soft, but still comfortable. Someone mentioned lights in the bathrooms? The toilet and shower were behind a separate door, and could DEFINITELY use another light. They do try to get you to a time share preso next door at the playa grande - their 'welcome' staff offers you free drinks and tell you about the property, and then offer you discounts, $100 credit, free breakfast, and free tequila if you go. I'll write about that in a forum review.
Major complaint - the 'activity' guy at the concierge desk was downright rude when I asked for info and said I would probably set up the activity myself. The hotel mgt will hear about that.
Positives - Rest of staff was great - including one that returned my visa from ATM to front desk after I left it there (DOH!). Very clean, both our room and the rest of the property, food was good everywhere in the hotel, parking was free and easily accessible on site, view was to kill for - saw many whales and incredible sunrises and sets from our balcony. Water wasn't a problem. Property was beautiful. Overpriced? Everything in Cabo is, so roll with it and have a great time! Would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2006
9 Thank Scud1952
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2006

Great staff, great rooms, great breakfast at the Whale Watchers! Highly recommend for the price and location!

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank pkmgolf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2006

We just returned from a very relaxing week at the Finnisterra. The check in went very smoothly, as quick as any quality hotel chain. We had a one bedroom unit that had a second full bath. It did't really make a difference because just my wife and myself went. Our room was in the newer part of the hotel. I think they call it the Pallapa section. You should check and see what section you are being assigned to before you accept a booking because I hear the older section is kind of tired looking, althought we never saw the units. I'm sure they have a great view because they are perched on the top of the hill. They are a completely seperate part of the hotel connected by a bridge to the seventh floor of the newer section. We did talk to one couple who were staying there and they seemed quite happy with it. The unit we had was very nice. It didn't show much wear and when we had a problem they were promt to take care of the problems. We had a light bulb and the Living room TV didn't work very well and one burner on the stove didn't work, they came and fixed them the second time we asked. We first asked the night shift and I quess the word didn't get transferred to the day shift. The unit had Beautiful granite counter tops in the kitchen which realy made it look like a first class resort. The kitchen was a typical timeshare kitchen, no oven, with the bare essentials to cook with, but adaquate especially since we just had breakfast and lunch in the room. We bought what we needed at a grocery store down by the marina. It was expensive for some items that were from the US, but it was worth it since for example I hate Mexican Butter and we bought a pound of Challenge butter, it was seven bucks, but I was glad to pay it.

The pools (#3) were very nice. I swam several morning for exersise in the lower pool which was unheated, which was great for lap swimming so you don't get overheated. It took a couple of minutes to get used to, but then it warmed up. The pool was large, it only took 16 laps to get in my mile. The resort wasn't very crowded, so we never had any trouble getting a lounge chair at the pool. None of this having to go down at 8 AM and reserving a lounge with a towel and a book like some other resorts we've been to in Mexico.

We really liked the location of the resort. It is within a short walk of the marina. We went into town almost ever night for dinner and to shop, so somedays we would go several times. Serval previous reviews made a big deal obout the walk up the hill to the resort. Unless you have a serious medical conditionit is no big deal. There is a shuttle available and it often is waiting at the bottom of the hill and if it is not you can ask the sequriety to call for the shuttle.

Overall we had a great time in Cabo. This was our first trip there. I was not expecting to like it (my wife wanted to try it). I thought it would be like Cancun, but it still has some Mexian flavor even though it is nothing but tourism. The restaurants were good althought you have to expect US prices. The weather was a little cool for my tast the first couple of days, and there was a breeze down at the pools the whole week. But my wife loved it because she doesn't like hot weather.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2006

I have to say that it could not have been better. I have few complaints and I will leave them to the end of the review. First, our check in on arrival was fast. We paid for a taxi service through expedia to pick us up at the airport and they delivered us to the hotel before the bus got there with the rest of the people on our flight. It was 35$ per person return which is cheaper than an actual cab ride there.
The most amazing thing about this hotel is the location. It is steps to the marina (also where a lot of the restaurants are), walking distance (by that I mean 3-4 minutes) to downtown where the rest of the restaurants are... and if you don't want to leave the hotel the food on site is really good. I recommend the spinach salsd (I had it three nights in a row!).
My husband and I were offered timeshare presentations in exchange for free tours all over the place. We walked to the marina - they were there, in the lobby of the hotel - they were there... eventually we fell for it. We went to see the place next door to the finisterra. Man were we pissed afterwards. The one hour tour turned into a 4 hour excapade with a "closer" coming when we said "no thanks." We finally just got out of there.
It did turn out well in the end because we were able to get free snorkelling and a free ATV tour which were some of the highlights of the trip. If you want to check out the timeshares for the purpose of saving money on the day trips then just make sure you tell them to hurry it up since you have somewhere to be.
The sea of cortez is amazing and a great place to tan and swim. You can't swim outside of the hotel since its dangerous but the view is amazing and very inviting. The walk to the sea of cortez is about 30 minutes but you can take a water taxi there from the front of the hotel for about 3$US.
Lover's beach was also nice. It was pretty crowded every time we went in the afternoon so I recommend the morning.
As for the marina and general market place, you will have people coming up to you all the time asking if you want to purchase something... every step of the way. You can let this bother you or you can just enjoy your vacation. But be ready for it.
Sometimes we got the feeling people were trying to rip us off, like we could ALWAYS find a better deal. But just parter for everything and you will be fine.
I highly recommend not going all inclusive at this hotel. The restaurants at the marina and downtown are worth checking if you like to explore the town then this is a good way to do it.
The hotel is nice but the even if it weren't the location would make it worth it. It's smack in the middle of things.

• Stayed August 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
wv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2006

We just got back from Hotel Finisterra this weekend and it was a pleasant experience. I did alot of research on where to stay and we made a great choice with this hotel. The location was great, beautiful view of the pacific ocean and within walking distance to the marina where you will find all the restuarants and shopping. Definitely stay in the Palapa beach club section of the hotel for the best rooms. The whale watchers bar was great for happy hour and looking at the ocean. The pools there were great and the beach was so private there was hardly anyone on the beach. The only down side that I could find to this hotel was that the service by the pool and the palapa beach bar was a little slow and room service was not good for breakfast. However there are so many places to eat around Cabo that you wont have any problem finding great food. We will definitely stay here again if we go back.

14 Thank sunnychic
Melrose, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2006

just returned from a week at the Hotel Finisterra. We had a lovely room and other than the unconfortable beds cannot say one negative thing about the hotel.
However, i do not see myself returning - i found the vendors and time share sellers aboslutely ANNOYING. They were everywhere - the restuarants, the beach, the walk around the marina - some nights we decided to stay at the hotel just not to be botherd.

We ate at the Marina restaurants - had the best breakfast at Solom's ask for the 222 - 2 eggs - 2 slices bacon - 2 pancakes for $4.40

Remember, January is cool - and it gets dark early.

7 Thank fiorentini
Posada Real Los Cabos
#24 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,200 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!