“Great Choice”

Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
san diego
“Great Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2005

Just back from 3 nights in Cabo and can easily recommend the Finistrerra. Stayed in the new wing, very nice, very convenient. Plenty of pools and chaise lounges available. Walked next door to the Playa Grande and it was packed at the pools, cannot imagine what it is during 'the season" when the place is close to full! Finisterra has a great location, walk along the marina, or take a pedicab and in minutes you are in the middle of town. Whale Watcher Bar is fun day or night. Food is just okay but so close to so many good restaurants in town it was not a problem.

5 Thank pegnbuck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

My friend just posted her review (I am one of the other 2 ladies that went with her), and I would just like to add some things to her review. Alot of people commented on this site about the service at the Finisterra - yes, it is slow. However, in talking to other people at other hotels, their sentiments were pretty much the same. I think this is just how they roll in Cabo. S-L-O-W. Patience.
Also in regards to asking for a new room. We asked for a new room upon check in and were told like 3 different prices - first it was $50 a night then it was like $100 and I can't remember what else. Then we went and checked in and came back and asked for another room and suprise, it was free. Just a tip - you're on vacation, be patient.
The pool at the Finisterra was the highlight of my trip personally. I would stay there again for the pool alone.
I wouldn't recommend all inclusive unless you plan on never going out of the hotel. We drank a reasonable amount during the day, and had lunch at the pool every day, and didn't spend what would have been our money's worth for all-inclusive. Happy hour is the way to go. Also - happy hour at the Finisterra is 2-4. Happy hour next door at the Playa Grande is 4-6. FYI.
The walk down the hill isn't bad at all, it's a quick walk into town. Can't comment on the walk back because we always took a cab - it's six bucks to the Finisterra from anyplace in town.
Echoing her sentiments on the Booze Cruise - this was alot of fun but be very careful - that jungle juice is more potent that it tastes. It's easy to over do it and that boat is freaking choppy - I wouldn't wear a skirt. or any type of shirt that blows in the wind unless you want to put on a show. Or white pants.
OK I think that's it. All in all, it was very fun, the Finisterra is a great deal for the price, I am planning on going back next year and would definitely stay at the Finisterra again.

9 Thank TinyDundee
Peoria, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2005

I just returned from an awesome trip in Cabo with two other friends. We were three ladies enjoying Cabo and all aspects of Cabo. As for the Finisterra, we were happy with our decision to stay there. We were given a recommendation to go there mainly for the price and location. I would like to STRESS that you should definitely stay in the new section. We were originally put in the older section and it was quite a walk from the pool and OLD. The other girls did not think the shower was as bad as I did. The room was good just a normal 2 BR room. The pools were perfect. We went for the pool with the swim up bar -- Happy Hour is from 2 to 4. Try a Miami Vice when you are there. Beware, if you order two of the same drink they will bring 4. I liked at the pool you could put the chairs in and be somewhat in the water. My favorite part was definitely playing volleyball in the pool! We would round up people some of the time. They do have activities and a DJ. Although, we only saw a DJ on Tuesday and not any other day. They are supposed to do Aerobics everyday too; however, you need to let the Activities Director know or something. The food was very reasonable. The Tortilla soup is a must have along with the Finisterra nachos. We did not go for the all inclusive and it was a wise decision especially going out at night and such. The service at the pool was not the fatest, but mediocre. The people (tourists) we met were great. We met some great, fun people. Actually, we had people from the neighboring hotel come over one day and they said we had a more fun pool.

For night, we went on a Jungle Cruise, which you catch right down the hill at the Marina. The Cruise was an absolute blast! I recommend doing this on one of your first nights. It was worth it! I only recommend this to younger people. I do not think this cruise works for the couples or older people. They have other cruises for your tastes. Other places we went were Squid Row, Cabo Wabo, and a Karoke place. Squid Row is definitely a must and you will find it plays the SAME music every night. We went there several times (like 4) and yeah I know their song list! However, it was fun each time. It can give you your second wind that's for sure.

Timeshares - they will hound you all the time starting at the airport --- SAY NO. The benefit of going to a timeshare is seeing another place and the FREE Stuff. We got Sammy Hagar tickets, cruise tickets and other crap. If you are willing to go, get at least 3 activities for each person going. The downside is I did sign up for a timeshare. I thought at the time it was a great deal. And, I would probably be happy if I didn't know more of the ends and outs. Timeshares are quite the commitment in the 30 years and there is a maintenance fee every year. Well, you can buy timeshares from Foreclosures or resales really cheap. If you have a timeshare in Hawaii, it is a lot easier to trade for other timeshares. It is not as easy as it sounds. However, I haven't done that completely. Anyway, I was able to get out of it. They make you believe they'll keep your Depoisit if you cancel after you sign the waiver, but by Mexican Law you have 5 days to get out of ANY contract. I cancelled two days later by going to PROFECO (a Mexican Govt agency - similar to a BBB) and delivering a cancellation letter to the place. They did give me my deposit back.

13 Thank Jennifer D
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2005

I stayed at the Finisterra from Sept. 25 - 30 with a friend and her 21 year old son. We're from Southwest Florida which is basically flat and on the Gulf. It was my first time in Cabo and had a great experience and I would most likely return. We were booked in the Finisterra (old section E26). We had a great view of the marina, however it is not the type of room I would ever prefer to stay in. It was very old and out dated and lacked the luxury that my husband and I are accustomed to. But since I was there with a friend to basically party and enjoy the town of Cabo and not the room, I let it slide and realized it was just a place to keep our clothes and catch a few hours of sleep. I'm sure we probably would have preferred the Palapa Section (but, oh well). The Finisterra overall is very nice. The location is key, the pools were great, the views are breathtaking, the food is good... not gourmet... but good to satisfaction, and the staff is very pleasant and helpful. We had the all-inclusive and it was very much worth the price considering the amount of money you can spend on food and alcohol alone. Cabo is a great place with many things to do and see to keep you busy. I loved the shopping, ATV Tour (awesome), Los Arcos and the Sealions (awesome), snorkling, beautiful blue pacific, bars, and restaurants - and there were many other things to do and see that I would most likely plan to experience on my next trip there. The Finisterra is a good place to stay if you're not basing your trip on the lap of luxury 5 and 6 star accommodations. It is a good convenient place to stay if your trip is based on the "Town of Cabo Experience". When I return next time with my husband, we would prefer a luxury resort such as La Ventanas or similar. Don't get me wrong, the Finisterra is very, very nice minus the room condition which is not by far enough reason to ruin an awesome trip.
Enjoy a great experience!

8 Thank ktnapfl
Elkins Park, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2005

We had a wonderful time at the fabulous Finisterra. Everything was excellent -- from our Palapa Beach Club room with spectacular view over the pools, beach, and ocean, to the service, the lovely and spacious pools, and the cleanliness and attractiveness of the hotel itself and its gardens. The hotel was the major positive factor in our experience of Cabo San Lucas. While the town is touristy, this hotel is a high point -- a beautiful and tranquil retreat with a great location. And how could anyone not be overwhelmed by the sunsets and sunrises from the beach ... and by the powerful surf in front of the hotel? Worth the price of admission alone....

From reading reviews here and at Expedia, it seems most people feel extremely positive like we do, but there are those who have had an unpleasant experience. It is hard to believe some of the stories people tell -- they are in such total contradiction with our experience! Every employee was courteous and helpful to us, and every guest we talked with also expressed very positive feelings about the hotel.

We are extremely well-traveled Americans and have lived abroad for about ten years (although not since 1990). The Finisterra, for beauty and relaxation and cleanliness and service, ranks very high for us. Loving the sun and water (both ocean and pools) as much as we do, we feel strongly it would be worth going to Cabo -- and spending most of your time (except for marina walks, meals, and boat rides) -- at the Finisterra.

Recommended: Good to have a rental car for convenient access to the Los Cabos area. Be sure to get to Playa del Amor, take a sunset cruise (we recommend the "Adventure" with Mexican buffet for $35 per person), drive up to both San Jose del Cabo and Todos Santos (both are much nicer towns than CSL), and do some adventure activities. The Los Cabos area is a mecca for water/sun sports. For golfers and sport-fishers, it's paradise on earth. For restaurants with atmosphere, don't miss Mi Casa and the ever-funky El Squid Roe. We had good meals everywhere, including: Panchos, Las Quesadillasss, Mariscos Mocambo, Mi Casa de Mariscos, El Shrimp Bucket, and breakfast in the Finisterra's Blue Marlin.

In sum, I would say: Book the Finisterra (new section) with confidence, and go with the feeling that you're going to have a great time. And you will!!!!!

Stayed September 2005
12 Thank KLH44
Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2005

Just returned from 9 days and had a great trip with my husband. We found the staff to be very accomodating with the exception of the La Palapa at the pool where they seemed to be a bit lacking. The 3 pools are all anyone could ask for and there was plenty of space for everyone. We saw only a few children the entire visit. We enjoyed the Whale Watcher bar on several occasions, which overlooks the ocean. We had a 5th floor one bedroom overlooking the pools and ocean. The room was large and very clean......the decor was a bit older, but nothing we couldn't live with. I liked the location which was close to the Marina and downtown. We had a car but there is transportation and also bicycle taxis at the exit to the resort. They offer wireless internet for $10 per day, but it was difficult to get a connection except right outside the business center.....we got the service for the week, but they did not charge us at check out when we made them aware that we were not happy with the service. My husband used the gym and said it was "okay". The beach is not for swimming but had beautiful scenery. We ordered vanilla ice cream almost nightly from room service and found them to be prompt and courteous.......they did bring us pizza one night instead of ice cream, but they quickly handled the problem.

I think this resort would be wonderful for couples or single people who really want to relax and get away. We found it to be less touristy than many of the other resorts we have seen in Cabo.

8 Thank CindyT_11
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2005

The Hotel Finesterra is a great value for the price. As soon as you walk in, you are greeted by a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. The Hotel is very well maintained and it seemed that the staff was working 24/7 to keep it up. I recommend staying in the Palapa Beach section, only because the panoramic views of the ocean and pool from the room balcony are extraordinary. The Finisterra section offers great night time views of the marina. Also, the staff was very efficient and did a thorough job at keeping up the room. The pool is also great. During the day there was a DJ by the swim up bar playing some great tunes. The food at the Finisterra is o.k. but only moderately priced. The beach is also very private. You don't have any vendors on this beach, like the hoards that roam the Medano beach resorts. I don't know why other reviewers complained about the hill leading up to the hotel. It's not that tough of a walk and it's great excercise. A note to singles, if you plan to have guests after 9:00, think again, the hotel has a VERY STRICT policy (as do others in Cabo) about having guests after 9:00. All in all, I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Posada Real Los Cabos
#24 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,200 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!