Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$275
  • Pool
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$288
$239
  • Breakfast included
ME Cabo by Melia(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$243
Melia.com
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$117
  • Pool
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$429
$335
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$757
$147
  • Pool
Playa Grande Resort(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$185
$144
$380
$302
Priceline
  • Pool
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
$289
$245
Priceline
  • Pool
The Resort at Pedregal(Cabo San Lucas)
$738
$631
Hotels.com
3,327 results
All reviewsdon diegocupcake cafecupcakeswhale watcher bartortuga beachagave restaurantwhite partyvip poolstones clubroyal elite membersfinisterra suiteswim up barmiddle pooloverlooking the marinathe pacific oceantime shareentertainment team
Reviewed November 23, 2004

Finisterra resort was an excellent choice--great place, good service, at an excellent price. The 1,400 sq ft Palapa Beach Club suite is worth the extra money. The hotel has full activities, 3 pools with varied temperatures, swim-up Palapa bar, 7 jacuzzis, and 7 acre beach. You can walk to downtown Cabo, Marina Park, or hike to Lands End and the Arch. There doesn't appear to be a bad room in the place, you can have a view of the Ocean, downtown Cabo, the entire bay and marina, and/or Gulf of California. I'm already planning my trip back!

4  Thank cooper_wf
Reviewed November 17, 2004

I had a weekend trip to Cabo last week. After I'd made reservations, I read the reviews on Finesterra here on Trip Advisor. I have to say, I was leary of some of the things I'd read. I heard the beds were terrible. Well the beds were quite hard, yes....but if they'd throw a pillow-top on thier beds at Finesterra-you'd cetainly have heaven on Earth!
The rooms was spacious, tidy, well-ventilated and had a great view.
The beach was the most beautiful I've seen. It was soooo super quiet and the sand was amazing. I would highly recommend staying at Finesterra just for the location. I noticed that most of the other hotels are not on the Pacific Ocean side, and the beaches there were not as secluded or prestine as the one at Finesterra. You are a short walk from the action, and a short walk from complete seclusion.
I should mention that the food, service, pools and staff are the greatest as well.
Stay here, hard beds or not-I bet you'll love it! I can't wait to go back and stay longer.

7  Thank Holi L
Reviewed November 16, 2004

The Hotel Finisterra is much more than we expected, and everything we had hoped for. We have visited the Finisterra several times over the years, and have stayed in both the "old" and "new" sections. I would not consider staying anywhere else in Cabo. The first couple of times we stayed at the Finisterra, it was right after the new "tower" section of rooms opened, and we were booked into one of the Ocean View rooms. When we first opened the heavy curtains and looked out at the view, we were stunned! Before us stretched the honey-colored sand of a wide and private beach, and beyond that, the great expanse of the Pacific ocean. Below our terrace was the jewel of the resort: the three pools and giant palapa bar/restaurant. Each pool is on a different level, surrounded by between two to four hot tubs. The pool in the middle is a swim-up full-service bar. You can even get a bucket of ice with beers and lime wedges in it to enjoy by your lounger. This bar also serves a clubhouse menu. You can dine under the huge 60 foot tall palm palapa or next to the pool under smaller palapas. The entire pool complex is surrounded by carefully manicured lawn, shrubs and exotic flowers.

Normally I am a beach person, so I wasn't sure how I would like being on the Pacific (no swimming side due to undertow) side; however, I soon figured out why the Finisterra is one of the few hotels lucky enough to be situated on this beach rather than on the popular Medano Beach: No vendors! Once while dining for lunch at a beach side restaurant on the Medano, I counted 24 solicitors who came up to us wanting us to buy something. Imagine trying to have a relaxing time in the sun with that going on. And don't forget the other thousand or so vacationers and all the loud jet skis, boats, and other excursions going on over there. The beach in front of the Finisterra is isolated and devoid of all motorized noises; you have only the relaxing sound of the surf pounding to put you in vacation nirvana. The vendors don't waste their time on the pacific side. If you want to lie on the beach, there are loungers and palapas out in the sand. You can order from the bar and bring your stuff to your loungers, or let the waiter know where you'll be and tip him to bring your food and drink to you. Otherwise, you can lounge by the pool.

ROOMS: The rooms on both the new and old sides are lovely: sand-colored stucco walls, bright comforters and drapes, marble in the bathrooms. The rooms on the older side have been upgraded to match the newer rooms; the beds in the newer side are larger and more comfortable. The newer side is more luxurious, to be sure, but the older side is still very nice, and everyone gets to use all the ammenities equally. The older side has a nice view of the harbor and the town of Cabo; the view in the new side is the same as described above. The last two times we stayed at the Finisterra, our room was in the older section, but we ware lucky enough to have all three views, as our room was on the end.

FOOD: The food at the Finisterra is delicious. We ate at the Palapa Bar, the Whale Watchers Bar, and the restaurant just below the Whale Watchers. We thought everything was perfectly presented and prepared. We did not eat every meal at the hotel, as we love to discover other places in town. We particularly enjoyed the Italian restaurant a ways down the street in toward town -- they had the best after-dinner coffee. Bear in mind, Cabo is very americanized: Hard Rock Cafe, Carlos n Charley's, Giggling Marlin, Squid Roe, fast food restaurants, etc. But Cabo also has funky out of the way restaurants, open-air bars, local dives, and excellent local cuisine. There's even Sammy Hagar's place, Cabo Wabo, which is a wonderful place to eat, drink and be merry. We caught a local rock band for an enjoyable evening.

EXERCISE: The only downside to the Finisterra is its gym. Not worth mentioning at this time, but they are in the process of building one, so some day they will probably have a nice facility. They do have on-site massages and other spa services. We weren't disappointed with the lack of exercise machines, as we intended on walking everywhere for exercise, and besides, this is a vacation -- from all sorts of torture. We got plenty of exercise exploring the area, including hiking/climbing to Lovers Beach (il Arco). You just go left when you get to the beach out front of the hotel, and follow the well worn path. Wear your bathing suit and running shoes. It is an easy trip for the adventurous and half-way atheltic over the rocks to the most famous beach in the Baja. You can even take a water taxi back to Medano Beach if you want.

GETTING AROUND: The first mode of transportation we encountered was the bus that got us from the airport to the Finisterra. This was a 45 minute ride, and was entertaining. A word of caution: Cabo is set up to sell condos. We were not in the market, but that didn't keep the outgoing "tour agent" (salesgirl) from hitting on us. Don't get ticked off; these people are just trying to earn a living, and the bus service is in place for the sole purpose of selling these time shares. We enjoyed her company and she gave us some tips on where to eat, etc. It was fun to watch her working the crowd. The longer they said no, the more goodies she offered as enticement to come to the timeshare sales presentation. Be prepared to make a stop at some "souvenir shop" (convenience store) for pop and beer. It's the locals scratching one another's backs. You don't have to buy anything, of course. If you are really against a sales pitch, pay lots more and get a van or taxi to take you directly to your hotel from the airport. We preferred to save our dough and enjoy the countryside out the windows. Besides, the bus stops at various other places, so you get a chance to see other hotels.

Walking around town: The trek back to the hotel after an evening out can be daunting if you are not in the habit of walking, but we looked forward to our evening jaunts, as we considered it our exercise for the day. The last bit of the walk is the toughest, when you have to walk up a very steep "cobblestone" and cement driveway (the original entrance to the hotel). However, you can very easily skip that part and walk around back to the new entrance lobby and take the elevator up to your room. In addition, there is a bus service that will take you into town and back to the hotel for a very small fee, or you can take a taxi or hotel van from the lobby for a fee. We felt perfectly safe out at night in Cabo, but it was my husband and myself. I wouldn't go out alone at night (I wouldn't do that in the States either).

As far as renting a car, we found the rental fees were very expensive. We suggest sharing with another couple if you want to explore out of town, or arrange rental from the States.

SHOPPING: Hmm. If you go out into the smaller streets you can find plenty of Mexican goods and souvenirs at a good price; however, the mall at the Plaza Las Glorias is just like a fancy mall in Beverly Hills: caters to the rich and famous, no bargains, stuff you can get in the states. We weren't disappointed, as we weren't there to shop. You can, however, get good Cuban cigars, liquor for less, pure vanilla for a steal. Just have to shop around. Rule of thumb: the closer you are to Tourist Central, the higher the prices. Bargain them down. Oh! One other thing: You can get prescription meds in Cabo without a prescription in any drug store.

We are going back in January, and are taking another couple who hasn't been to Cabo yet. We are so anxious to show them our favorite place at the tip of the Baja!

26  Thank meegaman
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 10, 2004

I have been to Cabo San Lucas several times. This year (Jan. 04) I stayed at the Finisterra. Prior to my stay at the Finisterra I always seemed to return home a little dissatisfied. Not with Cabo, but usually with the accomodations or their location. When I take into account a combination of several things, my stay at the Finisterra added up to a 5 star rating. The Finisterra is a very well maintained property with a finely manacured landscape. There is a "new" and "old" side. I stayed in the "old" side and loved it. I had a nice size room with a wrap around balcony. Views of both the marina and the Pacific. The room also featured a kitchenette (fridge and micro). It was very clean and the A/C cold.
I have never seen a better pool area in Cabo and the pool opens up to the only stretch of private beach near town (NO SOLICITORS!), because the pool area is so wonderful it seems the beach is always vacant. There are plenty of chairs that the maids seemed to be constantly wiping off with disinfectant. You can walk along the beach and take an easy climb (follow the well worn path) to Lover's beach. No water taxi needed.
There is and excellent bar and restaurant on site that has tremendous views and great food. Best of all the Finisterra is a very short walk to town (Location, Location, Location). Some of the best restaurants in town are along the road just below the hotel. The Finisterra sits atop a hill overlooking the Pacific and the marina. This means that there is a short uphill walk to reach the entrance. You can look at this as a negative aspect, but for me it's just about the only exercise I get while I'm there. So I learned to enjoy it as a means of burning off some of the dinner or drinks I'd just consumed before returning home for the evening. The hill can considered negative but there is a shuttle the runs up and down the driveway from the hotel entrance if you choose to keep all those hard earned calories! The Finisterra does advertise a gym on site, I found it contained some old outdated equipment and was very small. Don't plan on staying current with your exercise routine just take a little time off and enjoy yourself.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Illinois, USA
Reviewed November 6, 2004

This hotel was great! Best views in Cabo! I was sceptical b/c the reviews were mixed, and I am pretty picky. But I recommend to anyone! There are two sections to the hotel. The new section which faces the beach. And the older section has the marina views (and maybe some have ocean views). We stayed in the older section and loved the view to the marina and town. You can watch all the fishing boats go out in the morning and come back in before dinner. However, some aspects of the room (ex. the bathroom) is open to the outside through vented slats with no screen. We liked the view enough not to switch to the newer section.

The grounds are well maintained and beautiful. The pool area was great as well. Nice and quiet at the top or bottom pool, the middle pool had the bar and activities. Plus, had plenty of hot tubs. Great ocean views from the pool and service at the pool was very good with a wonderful happy hour!! The beach is nice and private and no one trying to sell stuff. Wouldn't recommend swimming, but the pool makes up for that. They also have chairs and "palapas" on the beach. You don't need towels, they provide them for you and they are a good size. Very relaxing!

(On our way out of town, we stayed an extra night at the Presidente Inter-Continental Los Cabos because our flight was overbooked. I would recommend the Finnisterra over that place! Better pools and beach, and way better food!)

If you go to Cabo you have to go sportfishing. We were nervous because it seemed shady when they try to sell it to you at the marina. We went with J.T. Sportfishing (one of the booths at the marina) and had a great time. We paid $200 for a captain, first mate, bait, a cooler with ice, and a boat that was big enough to have an inside cabin. I would recommend only getting a panga if you aren't an avid fisher, the fun is in catching them, not the boat. We caught 7 dorado and some smaller bait fish. They also cleaned and cut 1 for us, then we let the boat guys take the rest home for their families. It was well worth it. I have never been fishing before and had tons of fun! Also don't let them convince you to take your fish to a restaurant. You will only get a small portion when you go and order it for dinner, plus it's probably not really the same one you caught. Take your own cooler and bring it back, we probably got about 20 pounds of meat from 1 fish. At the restaurant you would turn it all in, but only get a small portion of it served to you.

Also go over to San Jose for the evening, it is classier than Cabo and has some great places to eat. I would recommend Tropicana and Mi Casima. The town area also has some great jewelry places.

As a reference we are both under 25. There was a large range in ages at the hotel. Was not a "party" scene, but we weren't looking for that.

• Stayed: October 2004