“Finisterra --Excellence In Cabo...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
A TripAdvisor Member
“Finisterra --Excellence In Cabo...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2004

I have been to Cabo San Lucas several times. This year (Jan. 04) I stayed at the Finisterra. Prior to my stay at the Finisterra I always seemed to return home a little dissatisfied. Not with Cabo, but usually with the accomodations or their location. When I take into account a combination of several things, my stay at the Finisterra added up to a 5 star rating. The Finisterra is a very well maintained property with a finely manacured landscape. There is a "new" and "old" side. I stayed in the "old" side and loved it. I had a nice size room with a wrap around balcony. Views of both the marina and the Pacific. The room also featured a kitchenette (fridge and micro). It was very clean and the A/C cold.
I have never seen a better pool area in Cabo and the pool opens up to the only stretch of private beach near town (NO SOLICITORS!), because the pool area is so wonderful it seems the beach is always vacant. There are plenty of chairs that the maids seemed to be constantly wiping off with disinfectant. You can walk along the beach and take an easy climb (follow the well worn path) to Lover's beach. No water taxi needed.
There is and excellent bar and restaurant on site that has tremendous views and great food. Best of all the Finisterra is a very short walk to town (Location, Location, Location). Some of the best restaurants in town are along the road just below the hotel. The Finisterra sits atop a hill overlooking the Pacific and the marina. This means that there is a short uphill walk to reach the entrance. You can look at this as a negative aspect, but for me it's just about the only exercise I get while I'm there. So I learned to enjoy it as a means of burning off some of the dinner or drinks I'd just consumed before returning home for the evening. The hill can considered negative but there is a shuttle the runs up and down the driveway from the hotel entrance if you choose to keep all those hard earned calories! The Finisterra does advertise a gym on site, I found it contained some old outdated equipment and was very small. Don't plan on staying current with your exercise routine just take a little time off and enjoy yourself.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2004

This hotel was great! Best views in Cabo! I was sceptical b/c the reviews were mixed, and I am pretty picky. But I recommend to anyone! There are two sections to the hotel. The new section which faces the beach. And the older section has the marina views (and maybe some have ocean views). We stayed in the older section and loved the view to the marina and town. You can watch all the fishing boats go out in the morning and come back in before dinner. However, some aspects of the room (ex. the bathroom) is open to the outside through vented slats with no screen. We liked the view enough not to switch to the newer section.

The grounds are well maintained and beautiful. The pool area was great as well. Nice and quiet at the top or bottom pool, the middle pool had the bar and activities. Plus, had plenty of hot tubs. Great ocean views from the pool and service at the pool was very good with a wonderful happy hour!! The beach is nice and private and no one trying to sell stuff. Wouldn't recommend swimming, but the pool makes up for that. They also have chairs and "palapas" on the beach. You don't need towels, they provide them for you and they are a good size. Very relaxing!

(On our way out of town, we stayed an extra night at the Presidente Inter-Continental Los Cabos because our flight was overbooked. I would recommend the Finnisterra over that place! Better pools and beach, and way better food!)

If you go to Cabo you have to go sportfishing. We were nervous because it seemed shady when they try to sell it to you at the marina. We went with J.T. Sportfishing (one of the booths at the marina) and had a great time. We paid $200 for a captain, first mate, bait, a cooler with ice, and a boat that was big enough to have an inside cabin. I would recommend only getting a panga if you aren't an avid fisher, the fun is in catching them, not the boat. We caught 7 dorado and some smaller bait fish. They also cleaned and cut 1 for us, then we let the boat guys take the rest home for their families. It was well worth it. I have never been fishing before and had tons of fun! Also don't let them convince you to take your fish to a restaurant. You will only get a small portion when you go and order it for dinner, plus it's probably not really the same one you caught. Take your own cooler and bring it back, we probably got about 20 pounds of meat from 1 fish. At the restaurant you would turn it all in, but only get a small portion of it served to you.

Also go over to San Jose for the evening, it is classier than Cabo and has some great places to eat. I would recommend Tropicana and Mi Casima. The town area also has some great jewelry places.

As a reference we are both under 25. There was a large range in ages at the hotel. Was not a "party" scene, but we weren't looking for that.

• Stayed October 2004
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2004

Spent 6 nights at Finnistera and absolutely loved it. Room was large and comfortable. Large balcony as well. This is an open air facility and we enjoyed that aspect. Hotel grounds are beautiful. Pool area is one of the nicest I've seen. Downtown and marina are close and very easy to walk to. Staff was friendly and helpful. Restaurants are comfortable with decent food and reasonable prices. Hotel is quiet. Would definitely chose Finnistera again and recommend to anyone wanting an affordable, clean and comfortable place to stay in Cabo!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Willow Spring, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2004

My Husband and I stayed at the Finisterra Sept. 17-21 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We went all-inclusive. We stayed in the Palapa section of the hotel and were pleased with the room. The view was awesome and I thought the beds slept good (I saw a few reviews that weren't pleased with the beds). If you like to drink all-inclusive is the way to go!! The Palapa Bar does not hold back on the alcohol that they put in drinks. The only complaint that I had was the attitude of some of the waiters in the Whale Watcher Bar. They always seemed too busy to help us. The place was not crowded and we were told by a number of people that this was their slow time of year. We had one waiter that was VERY RUDE (we referred to him as Crabby-Patty). When we went to the bar we just watched what section he was working and sat somewhere else. Overall we very much enjoyed our time at the Finisterra. It is very close to the marina and the hill is not as bad as some people mentioned (plus they have a shuttle that will carry you down or back up!). On a side note: If you plan to go fishing and want to carry the fish back on the airplane with you carry a "hard" cooler with you. The coolers in Cabo are outrageously priced! Finisterra will wrap and freeze your fish until you are ready to go. We had a good time and I would recommend Finisterra to others!

4 Thank Beachn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2004

We stayed 6 days. The 5th thru the 11th. We found the Finisterra wonderful. We were all inclusive and had no problems at all. Everyone was nice, room service was prompt and Tammy, the hostess, was a dream! We will be going back next year and taking our grown children. Yes, we will stay at the Finisterra again.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ft worth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2004

Me and my girlfriend spent this past Labor Day down in Cabo. We spent 5 nights at Finisterra, and opted for the all-inclusive package in the new section of the hotel. I had read a lot of reviews on Finisterra before we went down there, and the majority of the reviews were very positive. When we got there, the room appeared fairly clean, and besides the extremely dimly lit bathroom, the appearance was fine and what I expected. It was the smell of the room that made the hotel so disappointing. It smelled like my college dorm-room... like a wet, cold basement... like mildew. We didn't ask anyone else if they had a similar problem, but I suspect they all smelled that way. Granted, we were on a beach in Mexico so I'm sure that's a little expected, but the smell was overwhelming, and only got worse when we turned on the AC. I never realized how much the smell of a hotel room could effect my overall comfort on the vacation, but it certainly did.

Other than that, the only other bad thing I can think of with the hotel was the miserably uncomfortable bed. It was possibly the hardest bed I've ever tried to sleep on. We had a king bed, and we were in the new section, so I'm not sure what the other reviews were talking about. Although, I actually slept on the sofa one night because my back was hurting from sleeping on the bed. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night, because the sofa wreaked of mildew.

I was so disappointed with the room because it really did have a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean, and if it weren't for the smell and the bed, it would have been very nice (4 or 5 star). The swim-up pool was as expected, although you don't really have a view of the ocean from the pool. We never had a problem with the all-inclusive package. We ordered breakfast in our room every morning, and the Wale Watcher Bar and Blue Marlin were all included too. We tipped well, and most everyone was friendly. That package was very much worth it.

The hotel is close to the marina, and about a 20 minute walk to the mall. The hill everyone talks about is a little exaggerated. It's not that bad. You can't swim on the beach at Finisterra because the waves are ridiculous (~5-10 ft all the time) and they crash directly on the shore. But I didn't consider that a big deal because the pools were right there. You can see the Milky Way at night. Cabo really is a beautiful place.

I won't be staying at the Finisterra the next time I go to Cabo. However, if someone can convince me that not every room smelled that way, and that not all the beds are like rocks, I may reconsider... and do it all-inclusive again.

6 Thank rkinney34
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Finisterra, in celebration of our 1st anniversary. We opted for the all-inclusive package. While we did have a few relatively minor issues, it was overall a pleasant experience. The location is great- it's a short walk to the marina, popular bars and restaurants. Mendo Beach and Lovers Beach are easily accessible by water taxi. The grounds and pools are visually appealing and very well maintained. While the front desk staff were not rude, they were far from welcoming. There was some kind of confusion when we checked in, and they put us in the wrong room so we had to move. Our room was large and clean and there was a nice view from the balcony. Although it wasn't a huge problem for us, apparently they don't have rooms with king size beds in the new section. The bed was not one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. The mini bar, if you would call it that was worthless. We were not provided with a "do not disturb" sign, so we woke up to housekeeping knocking on the door early every morning. Check out is noon, and we were rushed out on our last morning. The food was better than we expected, and their menus offered a nice variety of choices. The view from the Whale Watcher bar is spectacular, and they provided us with binoculars which made it even more enjoyable. The wait staff are friendly, but the service was a bit lacking. We tipped well, but that didn't seem to make too much of a difference. We are both 34 and enjoy free-flowing drinks on our vacations. They definitely delivered in that area. Overall, we felt that the Finisterra offered an above average all-inclusive package for the money. We would probably try another hotel the next time in we are in Cabo, but would recommend it to anyone looking for a good deal.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Posada Real Los Cabos
#21 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,176 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Res...
#23 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!