“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
ft worth
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2004

Me and my girlfriend spent this past Labor Day down in Cabo. We spent 5 nights at Finisterra, and opted for the all-inclusive package in the new section of the hotel. I had read a lot of reviews on Finisterra before we went down there, and the majority of the reviews were very positive. When we got there, the room appeared fairly clean, and besides the extremely dimly lit bathroom, the appearance was fine and what I expected. It was the smell of the room that made the hotel so disappointing. It smelled like my college dorm-room... like a wet, cold basement... like mildew. We didn't ask anyone else if they had a similar problem, but I suspect they all smelled that way. Granted, we were on a beach in Mexico so I'm sure that's a little expected, but the smell was overwhelming, and only got worse when we turned on the AC. I never realized how much the smell of a hotel room could effect my overall comfort on the vacation, but it certainly did.

Other than that, the only other bad thing I can think of with the hotel was the miserably uncomfortable bed. It was possibly the hardest bed I've ever tried to sleep on. We had a king bed, and we were in the new section, so I'm not sure what the other reviews were talking about. Although, I actually slept on the sofa one night because my back was hurting from sleeping on the bed. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night, because the sofa wreaked of mildew.

I was so disappointed with the room because it really did have a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean, and if it weren't for the smell and the bed, it would have been very nice (4 or 5 star). The swim-up pool was as expected, although you don't really have a view of the ocean from the pool. We never had a problem with the all-inclusive package. We ordered breakfast in our room every morning, and the Wale Watcher Bar and Blue Marlin were all included too. We tipped well, and most everyone was friendly. That package was very much worth it.

The hotel is close to the marina, and about a 20 minute walk to the mall. The hill everyone talks about is a little exaggerated. It's not that bad. You can't swim on the beach at Finisterra because the waves are ridiculous (~5-10 ft all the time) and they crash directly on the shore. But I didn't consider that a big deal because the pools were right there. You can see the Milky Way at night. Cabo really is a beautiful place.

I won't be staying at the Finisterra the next time I go to Cabo. However, if someone can convince me that not every room smelled that way, and that not all the beds are like rocks, I may reconsider... and do it all-inclusive again.

6 Thank rkinney34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Finisterra, in celebration of our 1st anniversary. We opted for the all-inclusive package. While we did have a few relatively minor issues, it was overall a pleasant experience. The location is great- it's a short walk to the marina, popular bars and restaurants. Mendo Beach and Lovers Beach are easily accessible by water taxi. The grounds and pools are visually appealing and very well maintained. While the front desk staff were not rude, they were far from welcoming. There was some kind of confusion when we checked in, and they put us in the wrong room so we had to move. Our room was large and clean and there was a nice view from the balcony. Although it wasn't a huge problem for us, apparently they don't have rooms with king size beds in the new section. The bed was not one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. The mini bar, if you would call it that was worthless. We were not provided with a "do not disturb" sign, so we woke up to housekeeping knocking on the door early every morning. Check out is noon, and we were rushed out on our last morning. The food was better than we expected, and their menus offered a nice variety of choices. The view from the Whale Watcher bar is spectacular, and they provided us with binoculars which made it even more enjoyable. The wait staff are friendly, but the service was a bit lacking. We tipped well, but that didn't seem to make too much of a difference. We are both 34 and enjoy free-flowing drinks on our vacations. They definitely delivered in that area. Overall, we felt that the Finisterra offered an above average all-inclusive package for the money. We would probably try another hotel the next time in we are in Cabo, but would recommend it to anyone looking for a good deal.

CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2004

Stayed @ the Finisterra from 9/3 - 9/10 all inclusive. We stayed in the newer section & the rooms were very nice. We had a garden view room & thought of asking to be moved to an ocean view room, but then again we do not spend many hours in our room when we go away so we decided not to move all of our belongings all the way across the complex. The service @ the pool bar & resturants were very good with great food & drinks. We especially liked the location of the finesterra because of its quick 10 minute walk to downtown. The only drawback or negitive was every time I wanted to convert my U.S. dollars into Pesos @ the front desk, the smallest they had (did not belive them) was 50 pesos. I then started getting 10, 20, & 50 pesos @ the Blue Marlin. I would also like to add that the all inclusive deal is new to the Finesterra & WELL worth it if you & your spouse/friend like to drink. Not to mention the price you would pay for the food!

3 Thank hennyhog
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2004

I know this review will disagree with most of the others, but I found the service really lacking at the Finisterra. Upon check in we did not receive a welcome drink, map of the hotel or any type of introduction. Luckily we had been to Whale Watchers before so we knew how to get around. We spent 2 days asking (5 times no less) for the key to our mini bar so we could chill water we purchased in town and never received it. I happened to be in the room when someone came to check the mini bar on our 3rd day for consumption and she asked me for the key! Guest services was unhelpful at best when I asked for reservations at Ediths, I was told they were closed for the low season and no alternatives were suggested. I asked for assistance dialing a number was transferred and put on hold 3 times until I gave up. Service at the restaurants was average. We travel often and are well aware that service standards outside the U.S. are not the same and that you just have to have patience, however, our service was great at the restaurants we went to in town and at the other hotels we've stayed at in Cabo. I'd say the Finnisterra was also less than half full at this time of year so its not like they were overwhelmingly busy at any time.

Personally I prefer the Hacienda Beach Resort, its just as conveniently located to town and the service is not only incredible, but everyone is genuinely friendly, and you can swim in the Sea of Cortez, the only drawback is that their pool is not nearly as nice as the Finnisterras.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2004

August 19 to 25th, 2004. We have been to Cabo eight times and stayed at the Finisterra everytime and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The entire atmosphere of the hotel is so relaxing. Just far enough from town to avoid the crowds and beach traffic. Much of the same staff is there year after year and it's nice to be greeted by name when you arrive.

Overall the service and attention is highly above average. This includes the Whale Watcher Bar, Blue Marlin Resturant and Palapa Bar. As far as the food, my Husband prefers the Blue Marlin breakfast menu and considers it excellent. I prefer to head down to the pool and eat at the Palapa Bar which has a lunch menu with a variety of items, hey what can I say it's poolside food. We prefer to head into town for dinner and try different resturants. The Blue Marlin dinner menu varies, avoid Italian night, what are they thinking, your in Mexico.

All amenities in our rooms have always worked, ie; tv, freezing cold a/c, lights, shower, etc. We do not use the mini bar and prefer to review and pay our tabs in cash at the end of everyday to AVOID problems at time of check out.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2004

We stayed at the Finisterra for our honeymoon June 20-26, 2004 and loved it. At first I was scared that I booked us a hotel to far away from town, but when we got there it was in the best spot. The hotel sets off from downtown, but not too far. Everything is in walking distance and you dont hear all the noise from the late night partiers of downtown. The hotel is on the marina and has a beautiful view of the beach and ocean. The pools are great for relaxing and for four hours straight the hotel bars have 2 for 1 drinks! The room service food is very good! Even at 3:30 in the morning! Everyone at the hotel is super nice. We mentioned it was going to be our honeymoon and when we got there the room had flowers all around and towels made into swans. There was also a bottle of champage and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. It was the perfect honeymoon. We discussed the other hotels after being there, but will definitely always go back to Finisterra! I loved the location. We only took a Taxi once to get home from eating at THE OFFICE (fun environment, little high, but fun) Walked to everything. But at night we werent in the middle of it all.
We did fishing two days, ATV tour, waverunners, and the skoreling boze cruise. Had a blast at everything. Bring lots of money! The food is awesome at Tony's on the marina! Cheap!
Hope this helps! Have fun and enjoy your stay! If you get a chance go to the top of the lighthouse on the marina (its a resturant) and look at cabo from up high. Beautiful view and worth all the stair climbing!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2004

The Finisterra was a great place for a vacation. The view was incredible, the grounds were immaculate, and the 3 pools were not crowded, and were the perfect temperature. It was very easy to walk to town from the hotel, and we didn't need to take a taxi anywhere. The only negative was the price of the breakfast buffet at the Whale Watcher. We learned quickly to order from the menu and avoid the "sticker shock". We stayed in the Palapa section. The rooms were also very comfortable and the air conditioning worked great! We had a great time and will definitely go back.

2 Thank upiland
Posada Real Los Cabos
#21 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,177 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!