“Great As Usual”

Ranked #24 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
University Place, Washington
“Great As Usual”
Reviewed August 3, 2004

We've just spent another 2 weeks at the Finisterra (from July 12-25). As usual the food, service and housekeeping was great. Wouldn't stay anywhere else. This was our 10th year enjoying their hotel and hospitality!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 2, 2004

Wow was I pleasantly surprised! I had wanted to stay another resort but my friend talked me into Hotel Finisterra. I am so glad she did! We did the all-inclusive the drinks were great the location rocked. Not a busy hotel and because of that we got acquainted with most all of the guests. The view at the restaurant was to die for and when they prepared the fresh tuna that our friends caught that day it made it prefect. I would definitely stay there again and tell everyone how great it was. Thank Hotel Finisterra for one of the greatest trips of my life!!!

Reviewed July 28, 2004

We stayed for the second time at the Finisterra. We were at the hotel last year and swore we'd return every year. However, this year we noticed a huge difference in the service as we decided to do the all inclusive pkg. once we arrived. Great deal for the money but the waiters don't want to wait on you because you don't have to tip. Not until we tipped them extra did they finally give us somewhat decent service. DON"T DO ALL INCLUSIVE unless you don't care about bad bar service and arrogant staff. The pool was very cloudy and chipped tile. We were there from 7/9-7/12. Next year, we will change hotels. Too bad because last year's trip was 100% better. We heard Playa Grande next door is their main priority now.

2 Thank sumrlover
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 23, 2004

My wife and I recently spent a week at the Finesterra. We chose the resort because of the location (great proximity to town) and because of the price ($614 for 7 nights, including round trip air and airport transfers from LAX). The location was as advertised - great. We walked to and from town everyday effortlessly. That's where the "great" ended. The room is fair, with enormously uncomfortable beds. They do not have king beds in the new wing (we stayed at the "Palapa Beach Club" area), so we had double beds, which meant my wife and I slept on separate beds for a week. The biggest disappointment was the housekeeping. They forgot to change towels 3 of the 7 nights. They did not clean the room until after 4:00 one day, although we were out all day. The front desk was not very helpful, but always polite. The pool is looking a tad run down (chipping tile, etc.). That being said, we paid a bargain price, and got a bargain hotel. It was well worth the money, and next time I will pay more for more luxury and amenities. If you get a great deal, and that is the priority, the Finesterra is fine. If you want more luxury, or something with a "tropical" feel or a "spa-type" environment, this is not it. I'm not putting the place down - we got exactly what we paid for.

8 Thank bagoda1
Reviewed July 14, 2004

I was so pleasantly surprised when we stayed at the Finisterra. We stayed in the old section of the hotel. Our room was always clean and had a wonderful view. The hotel and grounds are simply beautiful. The pool with the swim up bar was a favorite. The staff was always friendly and helpful.
I would highly suggest both restaurants at finisterra. The food was excellent and very affordable. We will definitely be returning to the finisterra.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 3, 2004

My family just returned from a weeks stay at the Finisterra hotel and can't stop talking about what a wonderful time we had. I must admit trying to find the right hotel in Cabo can be overwhelming considering all of the choices and difference of opinions. I can say that we could not have made a better choice.

The hotel is located on the Pacific Ocean side on a private beach. Unfortunately you cannot swim here because the waves and tide are very strong, but watching waves crash against the sand and rocks it couldn't better. We did go to the public beach which is off the Marina, mainly for the actives there, wave runners, para sailing etc. One thing you notice once you hit the public beach is the numerous vendors selling everything from silver to tee shirts and I swear almost every single one of them approaches you. A quick no thank you usually does the trick, but this gets old after the 10th time.

The hotel is in a great location and is a quick 5-10 minute walk and boom your right on the Marina. We stayed in the new section the palapa which gave us an ocean view. The room was large filled with upgrades tile and marble, how can you beat falling asleep each night tot he sounds of the ocean.

One thing that is new at the hotel is the all-inclusive plan that was offered when we arrived. The price is $43.00 a night for each person and children eat free. We have gone the all-inclusive route before but got tired of the buffets after the third day. The all-inclusive plan lets you eat at any off the three restaurants all of which are a la cart. There is three themed buffet nights Fri, Sat Sunday that are amazing. Two of the restaurants are 7 stories high that overlook the ocean and the other is off of the middle pool with the swim up bar. Usually all-inclusive deals do not let you order good cuts of meat or lobster. Not here! We were shocked that you can order anything and I mean anything off the menu. A sample evening meal was lobster bisque, spinach salad ship cocktail and fresh grilled lobster with 2 glasses of wine. The food is top notch amazingly fresh. You are never rushed and can easily take 2 hours to eat your meal taking everything in. Also included is all you drinks, even top shelve alcohol and room service which is 24 hours a day in addition to all of the taxes and tips. If your planning a trip to cabo and stay here better hurry because I can not see how they can continue to offer this all inclusive plan with zero restrictions and still make money.

The hotel has three very large pools and very well kept landscaping. It is hard to believe this beautiful place is over 25 years old.

My only complaint is that they still have few kinks with the activities. In the lobby they have activities scedule from 9-5 but I only saw a few of them actually taking place. They have a kids club listed from noon till 2pm but on one of the days my son was the only kid and on the other days we could not find where they were holding it. But it was not a big deal for there were other kids, but not to many, and they made up their own games in the pool.

3 Thank David B
Reviewed July 3, 2004

I just returned from a seven night trip to Cabo San Lucas (6-25 to 7-2) . The hotel is beautiful and is in a great location. I would recommend for you to bring good pair of walking shoes (if you are planning to walk to the marina). The Marina is about a 10 minute walk from the Hotel Finisterra. If you are planning to relax at the Hotel. I would recommend for you to purchase the all inclusive package, once you are arrive to the hotel. They have a great deal on their all inclusive package, We paid $48.00 per day (adult) including mini-mar and tips. The all inclusive is great when you have small children and they want a glass of milk in the middle of the night (room services is included). I was not happy that they had recently changed their mattress. As a result, the bed was extremely hard. The swimming pools are not heated. However, it did not stop many from swimming specially my 23 month old daughter. If you have small children, I would recommend to get a room with a kitchente to prepare and heat meals for them. We spent many hours in the pool area and met several great waiters (Jose Manuel was awsome). The staff at the hotel takes great pride in the service they provide (very profesional and friendly). We attended a timesharing seminar next door at Playa Grande and obtained a $100.00 voucher towards food and drinks. (we did not purchase) The sales persons at Playa Grande were not pushy. If you have 75 minutes to spare and want a free buffet breakfast (go for it!). We also say Shrek 2 at the new movie theater at Puerto Paraiso (Shopping mall). If you have small children they will enjoy a movie after a long day at the pool. Be careful if you are planning on taking a glass bottom boat ride because some of the boats are old and dangerous ( I was told several of those boats had recent flipped at sea). Look at the boat before you purchase a ticket.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!