“Like a prison”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Trying to spend a nice birthday evening with friends who were staying at Finisterra turned into a major downer. Had to pass inspection at the gate and were "welcomed" by a security guard in the lobby asking what we were doing there if we were not guests. We notified our freinds that we were waiting for them in the lobby since we were not even allowed to sit on the the patio, without paying a $60.00 per person pass. !!!!! Couldn't go to the bar, restaurant or their room to enjoy the bottle of champagne they had brought with them. We had a guard standing nearby the entire time. The GM came over to ask if there was a problem and immediately saw my displeasure and made notes of the experience. We ended up taking the champagne with us to a nearby restaurant and enjoyed it with dinner. Flabbergasted by the lack of hospitality, etc. Understanding the problem of thievery, security needs to be aware, but this was ABSURD! I recall the beautiful views from the bar years ago and will try not to erase them now with this time. Sad. Cabo has lost so much of its magic..... shame. More like Miami or Cancun than the romantic getaway it once was. Construction or demolition on every other block. Choose your hotel carefully. We are staying in town via a very good online deal, and thankfully some of the local bars below our Suite are closed or we would not have gotten any sleep whatsoever.

6  Thank caria4077
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Caria4077;

We are sorry for the situation you went through while visiting your friends at out resort.
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos it’s an All-Inclusive resort, therefore, we offer visitors to purchase a day pass to have access to the different areas and restaurants.
We apologize once again for the circumstance, but in All Inclusive Resorts any visit has to be previously coordinated with the reception or concierge.

We hope that you understand that we do have a lot of guests that because of proximity of the marina will always love to invite friends to come along.

Kindest regards from Cabo.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

On arrival we were amazed at this resort and it just got better over the next 5 days...
Great rooms, all with a view ! Service was fantastic and having the " all inclusive " deal was the only way to go ! the food & drinks provided at all the restaurants was excellent quality.....
Location is a plus here short walk to the Marina and shops and many other attractions.
The hotel was very clean and the swimming pools were fantastic , will definately return here !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We booked a Deluxe Ocean View Room with a King Bed at extra expense to ensure we had Wi-Fi and enjoyed the ultimate vacation experience. When we arrived, we were offered a Jr. Suite due to some error; however, the desk staff photocopied my paperwork and arranged/provided the 'upgrade' to the deluxe view room we paid for. I found it funny to be upgraded to a room we paid for... Oh.. we had our 8 friends behind us waiting/watching this which they did not find humorous.

When we made the journey from the ground floor to the 7th, crossed the walkway, moved south across the property and traversed up to the second floor of building 5; I swiped the room card and found 2 ladies in our room. It's a good thing they were fully clothed....

I went straight down to the desk to straighten the room problem out. The check-in fellow apologized and advised the maid had assured him the room was empty. I spoke to the ladies who also came down and they said their room key did not work initially, so they were let in by some staff... so there was definitely some mix-up in the rooms. They were requesting a room change as well.

Marcel from Guest Experiences got involved and I was told he would be right up to assist us. I went back up to join my wife and after 45 minutes of waiting in the corridor, I went back down (quite the walk from above the cupcake shop) to find out what was going on. It took another 10 minutes before we were assisted by Marcel in Guest Experiences... who arrived at the room site and began checking for an alternate room.

My wife waited outside the original room with our luggage for over an hour before Marcel personally found a temporary room 5013 (as it had 2 double beds, not the King we booked) for the evening.

Now... when we stayed at the Sun Palace in Cancun last year, we were personally escorted to our room and asked to view it, to ensure we were both satisfied, and of course it exceeded our expectations.

Once in our room, we had a chance to change and get out to meet with our 8 other friends checked into the hotel. When we returned that evening, Marcel had sent a bottle of champagne and a rose with letter apologizing for the issues. He advised we would be provided an upgrade to our room the next day. That was a nice gesture.

The current room itself had beautiful view of the marina and harbor side of the Sea of Cortez. This is what we wanted. The room did not have the Wi-Fi signal that I needed, so I hoped for the best the next day.

We were assigned another room around 2 pm the next day which was room 3105. It was an upgraded larger room which included a Jacuzzi tub, lower sitting area, coffee maker, and ipad dock. Now although it had the Wi-Fi I needed, it did not have any view. Funny, I thought every room had an awesome view at this hotel. Do not book any of the lower rooms in building 3 if you want a view. These lower units did not have ramps so you (and the maids) needed carry everything down the 2 flights of stairs to reach the door level. Enough.. we were comfortable and didn't spend much time in the room anyway.

Food was OK, but not great.
Our group experience of 10 people found the Blue Dolphin meal was sub-standard for a dress-code affair. The food did not have much flavor and everyone left hungry.
We found the Tortuga beach restaurant had better quality food than the Italian restaurant mentioned above, it served the best meals in the hotel but be prepared to wait.. it is worth it.
The Don Diego offered adequate entrees but during peak times it ran out of many side dishes. During breakfast - be prepared to wait for an omelette as it was the primary choice and the chef could only serve 2 people at a time. I found the breakfast buffet courses often cold or warm.

The entertainment was ok and as one would expect, but not super fantastic.

Pros
Hotel location - close to marina and city.

The views were very good since the property overlooks the Pacific Ocean and Sea of Cortez.

Hotel service staff were friendly, attentive, and basically outstanding. At the pool, Betza was always happy and provided great service. Lorenzo had rounds of drinks for us before we asked and remembered everyone's drinks - awesome! Alex the activity co-ordinator at the pool had good interaction with guests and jesting and humor, which we really appreciated.

The reception staff almost always had change to break 500 and 100 pesos into 50's and 20's which I used for tipping... I do recommend tipping for better service in rooms, pool, restaurant, etc...

Cons
- Food was ok but nothing really appealed after a couple of days. The Agave and Tortuga restaurants by the pools were the best food this hotel offered.

- I found the Bartender adjacent to the evening entertainment area washing the plastic drink cups in the sink and re-using them on our last night. He was walking around collecting them as he ran out of cups....Gross! I did see some of the cups at the poolside had brown salt ring stains on them, which was gross when you are drinking rum and coke.

- Our check-in experience was not great.

- The only place to get a drink after 10-10:30pm is the disco bar. I found the thumping music and fog hard to deal with just to get a night-cap.

- We advised the desk staff that our sliding door to the balcony did not lock! We alerted them on the same day we checked into it. They advised they would send maintenance to fix it, and of course nothing was done all week. It appeared the new sliding door mechanism required receptacle holes to be drilled into the door frame...only the pilot holes were found so the lock had nothing to interface with.

- shower was cold several times... not sure why.

- The Cupcake Cafe was better at coffee than cupcakes.. they should change the name to Bay View Cafe. The cupcakes were pretty to look at, but dry and tasteless. I recommend a wrap or sandwich there instead which were good.

- Pool towels were not left in the room several times.. hardly worth mentioning compared to above.

In conclusion, this hotel did not go the 'extra mile' as compared to other 4.5 stars. I would still give them a 4 star rating though. The hotel management team could learn from competitors such as the Sun Palace Resort where they treat their guests like royalty... They should book a trip there to compare if they want to provide the best experience for their guests.

Room Tip: Choose an renovated room with a view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael R
Reviewed November 22, 2013

UGH… We spent a little more $$ to stay here than the last resort we went to thinking that we would love it and it would be super classy.
When we arrived early, there was no room ready even though we had specifically asked for early check-in. The staff at check-in were not very nice or efficient. We were told to go eat while we waited, but when my hubby asked for details on where to eat there, we were told we would have to wait till we came back and had a "meeting" with her! (when we came to meet her, it was basically her convincing us to go to timeshare presentation). There are two places to go eat during the day. We went to the "turtle" and waited a half hour for water and some chips. They were SO slow and we were SO hungry. And things on the menu, they didn't have. There was no place to go and grab a snack, you had to go look at a menu and wait for a server to take your order. It took forever!!
After 7 hours, despite the resort seeming empty and hardly anyone around, we were able to get a room on the 4th floor. The view was technically an ocean view so we were okay with that..... we had no stock in our little fridge and the little water jug leaked all the time. But the room was okay and comfortable enough for me. Slept actually amazingly – that is until each morning 8am drilling, stomping and banging from above would wake us. Every. Day. We did complain a couple of times since it’s a bit early for the ruckus but nothing happened to change it. Also, the cleaners didn't seem to do much - we sometimes didn't receive fresh towels and would be tying to dry off with a tiny cloth!! I don't know what that was about, it's just towels!
The pools were nice and the beach was always pretty much empty. So there was lots of privacy. And you could always get a chair. The ocean is ferocious here though. So do not try to swim here or you will drown for sure. Again – if you want to get a snack or think a server is going to come around to offer you anything, plan to wait it out.
The buffet was terrible. I was sick a lot and we ended up going off resort to eat a number of times. I am gluten intolerant and I don’t have that high of expectations – but the food was tasteless and they didn’t have warmers. They would run out of dishes or a food item and they would stay empty! The breakfast buffet was not good either... I expected a lot of fresh Mexican food and there was hardly any. If I asked to clarify a dish had no wheat in it – they would say no and I would still get ill. They had 2 a la carte options – the day we went to book the lady informed us it was Mexican. When we went later that evening very much excited to eat it– they said no. It is Italian tonight. They alternate. Every single item had wheat in it and I could not have anything off the menu – which I understand if it is pasta etc – but not once did anyone make an effort to get me some chips and salsa or just anything so I could have something at least. Even my husband was getting frustrated, he said his pasta was cold, no flavor and like a soup. I will mention that the view you have off the buffet area is fantastic. And the servers were very kind to us.
Other than the location – the resort was a huge disappointment. We did like the area. You could easily walk to places and feel that you are quite safe. There are some nice swimmable beaches a short water taxi ride away…. Note never pay more than 4.00/each for a ride!! The marina was close to the resort. The actual busy part of the marina with shops etc is about a 15 – 20 min walk away. We loved that bit. We would take a walk down there all the time to check out shops and look for food!
I think there is some potential for this to be a nice resort but our experience was not so good, :(

2  Thank PaivasGirl

Dear PaivasGirl;

We are deeply sorry that your experience with us was not what you expected. We thank you for your comments, we already revised every single detail with the different departments. It was unfortunate that during your stay we did not have a chance to speak to you in person.

I will be more than happy to be able to speak with you on the phone, please contact me thru the mail address that I sent to you on a private message

Our sincere apology, we thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Kindest regards from Cabo.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We arrived yesterday to celebrate out Anniversary. We were married in Cabo. The check in was a nightmare. The ladies at the front desk told us we didn't have the right paperwork and would not check us in. After no help from them, multiple international calls and Internet sites they said "yes this is the paperwork we will check you in now. I called a week ago to verify we would be in the new part of the hotel with a king bed. Assured that was taken care of, now that we are here, they say our room has double beds and is definitely after being taken to our room 3 hours later a dive. They say they can't get us into a room with a king. This place is NOT sold out and it's just no one wanting to help. While waiting for a room, we go to the pool restaurant to be told they have no Malibu for drinks. At dinner, at the only restaurant open on Thursday they dont have Malibu or Tanquerie for my husband. The food is good however. After pleading to everyone, the concierge Magdalena came to us and said her supervisor called the hotel supervisor and today we will be moved into a king room. We requested to speak to a manager multiple times yesterday and was told there was not one on site and as of right now have not heard from one. Interesting is that after dinner we walked around and found the newer part of the hotel. You can see there are MANY empty rooms and a wonderful buffet restaurant that is open and a walk up bar that assured us they had cases of Malibu and Tanquerie. I have been in the travel industry for almost 20 years and have never experienced anything like this. This hotel and their staff needs some training on customer service and inventory. We even resorted to calling other hotels but since we cannot get our money back will stay. Hopefully today will be a better day and the start to a great anniversary. Will update for sure on today's events. I definitely wouldn't at this time recommend to a

1  Thank ConciergeofTravel
Webrelations, Manager at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear ConciergeOfTravel;
We apologize for the inconviniences you went through when you arrive at the resort.
As soon as we read your situation on facebook, Abraham our chief concierge made a phone call to get an appointment with you, and we arranged to move you to a king size bed room the day after your arrival, Friday the 22nd.

According to your review, the rooms that you mention at the newer part of the hotel , are the Finisterra Suites, these rooms category were reserved for next days arrivals.
We will contact you for other details understading that you are still at the hotel. Already called your room and left a recent message aswell.

We will make sure that you will have a great time for the rest of your stay .
Kindest regards from Los Cabos.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

First time to Cabo for my hubby and I. We were celebrating our 45th anniversary. We were staying over the Cupcake House. First day was a very long one, and just as we were going to bed the entertainment started at the small stage, right outside our room. It was so loud, there was no sleeping at all, the music lasted till 2 am. We moved the next day, to an ocean view room, that was very nice! My husband was going fishing the next morning, and we arranged a wake-up call, alas our phone didn't work! We complained several times, finally on our last day, they brought up a phone that worked! Our mini bar was locked, took 3 days for someone to finally come and open it. The breakfast at Don Diegos was cold every morning! Getting any pool service was impossible, unless you were down by the pool bar. The Agave restaurant was by far the best food available. The grounds were beautiful! Very nicely done! The spa was wonderful, along with the staff, we were taken very good care of at the spa, Alberto was superb. I'm afraid we probably won't return to this hotel again, too many problems.

Room Tip: Don't stay over the Cupcake House, unless you like to party very late!
2  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Good: Location and The newly renovated part of the hotel is awesome!
*Loved the views overlooking the marina from our room 4205 (Be aware of ocean view rooms! you may see the ocean, but they may not be renovated and the best views are often of the marina)
*Loved the views from Don Diego Restaurant & the food at Agave the best! (Food was pretty darn good overall, better than I expected)
*Loved the decor and landscaping! It was well done up at the top restaurant areas, getting better at the pools
*Loved some of the employees - Ricardo(concierge), Jose(bellhop), Abraham, Jennyz & Jesus (in Blue Marlin), & David (Agave)

The Bad: Some of the service
*Not all of the servers seem to care about serving you, some tried to avoid you
*They were always busy, but never seemed trained to really care about the customers 1st
*Pool and beach service was almost non-existant, unless you went to the bar yourself
*The pool music and games got very annoying, it would be nice for one day, but not everyday.

The Ugly: Check-in was a nightmare & the 2 1/2 hour (not 90 min) time share presentation!
*Check-in took almost 2 hours and then...
*They gave us the worst room at the bottom floor, with 2 double beds for our anniversary!
*It was a crapy old hotel room, with the "Kids Zone" right in front of it! Romantic right?!
*I think it is a scam to get you to upgrade rooms, which we did or we would have been very disappointed in our stay!
*The time share thing is a nightmare! If they would honor their deal in 90 minutes like they say, it would be ok because you get credit, but 2 1/2 hours is ridiculous! HONOR YOUR WORD!

Overall: We really enjoyed our stay, especially because of the beauty of Cabo, & the newly renovated rooms and parts of the hotel are awesome! The other rooms just aren't worth it in my opinion! The location was perfect and the food was pretty good for all-inclusive!

Room Tip: Make SURE you get an upgraded newly renovated room! The old ones are like crappy hotel rooms, the ne...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Posada Real Los Cabos
Posada Real Los Cabos
#23 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!