“Amazing beautiful resort!”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #23 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Sandos Finisterra was the best resort to stay at during our trip to Cabo from July 30-August 3. From the moment we stepped in to the moment we left the service was always excellent! Roberto at the front desk made our stay even better as he upgraded out room to a beautiful suite. All the waiters, specially Oscar at Don Diego and Marcos at the pool Bar were the best; they were always smiling and friendly! Raymundo for the entertainment team was also great and made our stay fun! Every single employee offered us the best experience and I would recommend anyone planning their trip to Cabo to come stay at Sandos Finisterra.

The restaurants offered great food but our favorite was at Don Diego for breakfast and dinner and Tortuga Beach for lunch. They have a really nice variety.

Overall the stay was great and I would definitely stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to share my experience at Sandos Finisterra,We just got back day before yesterday,had a wonderful time,the location and resort were amazing couldn't not have asked for better.The resort exceeded our expectations,and is a true 4.5-5 star resort in my opinion.The resort was very clean,the rooms were very nice bed was very comfortable and soft but still had good support,is a newer pillow-top mattress,We opted for a junior Suite Ocean view suite and were glad we did,the room was fairly large and spacious,would be a good choice for family's. Had a gorgeous full view of the ocean,the air conditioning worked very well and our water tank was always replaced (They use water coolers for the rooms instead of water bottles) but you can get water bottles anytime just ask at any of the restaurants. Each restaurant was very good and the food tasted very fresh and was always,hot,the food quality seemed better than other all-inclusive's we have been to. My favorite was "Agave" it's down by the the swim up bar pool, they had great authentic Mexican food.we enjoyed the buffet restaurant "Don Diego" and ate there everyday the buffet was good and had plenty of variety we never got tired of the food throughout the week.,The beach was gorgeous we enjoyed watching the waves,but beware this beach is on the pacific and very dangerous no swimming.We went down to the marina,just a few minutes walk away and took a very short water taxi ride to "Medano" beach to swim.,The weather was great,the staff here are awesome. Had no problems at all.the Marina and downtown are just a few minutes away this resort is in the best location. Very good value for the money.We will definitely be back ! :)

P.S We hardly noticed any construction going on at all,when they were working it was away from the resort towards the entrance of the resort and finishing up a beautiful water fountain coming down the rocks.Looks like they are pretty much done,in no way does it cause any disruption.I did not even know any construction was going on until the 5th day,So no worries there.

P.S

Also please note that the Junior Suite Ocean view rooms are in the original building and are not renovated yet,although it looks like the mattress are fairly new.The renovated new rooms are called the "Bay View" rooms,they are much smaller than the un renovated Junior Suite rooms and the view faces the marina and downtown,we thought about switching to the newer rooms for $100 extra per night but didn't really think it would be worth it for a less desirable view and a much smaller room.I would suggest save your money and go with a Junior suite they rooms are good.

Room Tip: Go with and Ocean view Junior Suite, higher floors have better view's go with 3rd floor or highe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Raychell F
Reviewed August 2, 2013

First and foremost, let me begin by saying that Expedia marketed the Sandos Finisterra Hotel in Los Cabos San Lucas, Mexico as a 4 star resort along with Expedia’s traveler reviews which stated that renovation was in process two week prior to our 3 day stay at the Sandos Finisterra, encouraging us to make several phone calls to the hotel to confirm if all renovations would be complete by the time of our arrival in July. Our response was a favorable one as all restoration had been completed. We made this phone call so that we would not have to endure the construction process while vacationing. Furthermore, we proceeded with our check-in at the Sandos Finisterra, which resulted in an absolute catastrophe, as we were notified that our room was not one of the renovated rooms, causing perplexity amongst my friend and I. We were told that renovation was not complete, which contradicted our previous phone calls to the resort. Obviously, this grueling scheme caused us to bicker for hours with the front desk, ensuing us to speak to their manager, but for some apparent reason, he was not available, even though the one of the men at front desk kept walking into an apparent office to speak with him. Nonetheless, the men at the front desk were speaking derogatory conversations about us in Spanish. Little did they know is that my friend understood their language, motivating us to be further infuriated. The end result of all this disaster was that they could not assist us in the process of our requested room that was advertised on their and Expedia’s website. After a couple hours of disputing our atrocious room (ants, cockroaches, non-stocked minibar, construction noise in the direct area, broken toilet seat, unfilled purified water dispenser, cold water in shower), the front desk finally decided that they would hold a new room in our name for no charge. So, we went about our stay in Los Cabo San Lucas, even though there was hours of wasted time that could have been substituted for sightseeing, activities, and so forth.

Upon wakening for a second day in Los Cabo San Lucas, we hurried to the front desk to have our promised request fulfilled in regards to our room change, but sure enough, the front desk told us that was not possible, as they had already given the room to other customers. Evidently, this made us extremely upset and we asked for the manager again, and as anyone could guess, the manager was not available until hours later. After those tedious hours of more bickering, we were finally told that one of the men at the front desk was the manager, even though he was standing there for the entirety of all our conversations. It turns out that our requested room would be available for a whopping upgrade fee. Though, we explained on numerous occasions to them that the websites never disclosed renovations nor the basic hotel rooms that were not yet renovated (which we forced to stay in for the first night), the manager and the men at the front desk ignored that proposed, factual statement. As one could see, this stay at the Sandos Finisterra is an absolute joke and an insult. After having no choice but to upgrade for a fee, they made us wait for many hours to get the room ready for us, which was not prepared for our arrival at our room later on. Oh, and not to mention we missed another day of sightseeing, activities, and etc. After checking into our new room, which seemed okay at first glance, we were promised a one king bed with one pullout-sofa, but it turns out that there was indeed no pullout-sofa bed. Other problems with this room consist of a non-stocked mini bar (as advertised), empty water dispenser (again), no blow dryer (again), cold water in shower (again), ant and cockroach difficulties (again), and construction noise (again). Not to mention our personal room safe locked on us, which contained my medication, passports, wallets, and money, causing another delay in our activities for 2 hours at our resort. At this point at our stay at the Sandos Finisterra, the only plausible thing to do was to advance down to the front desk to reasonably and justifiably complain about the problems about the room which were nonchalantly ignored. For the icing on the cake, my friend’s phone was stolen from our room. Furthermore, we would like to list the remaining important problems with our stay at the Sandos Finisterra: Food was inexcusable (i.e. ham and cheese croissant sandwiches = stale bagel with a slie of processed mini-mart turkey meat and one slice of mozarella cheese along with cold cut platter which consisted of sliced uncooked hot dogs and minimart processed meat with stale cheese…advertised as cuisine style food throughout resort); they would not exchange our currency (contrary to the promised service); no drinkable room water for 3 days (called numerous occasions for that specific request); limited room service menu, which was not disclosed either; good ole tap water at the restaurants (bottled water was available the day before); we were not allowed to bring friends that we met on vacation to come hang out with us at our resort, but only for low fee of $100 (not revealed as well); there would be free Wi-Fi, but signal was remote for my IPhone; front desk ignored us to help make a phone call to Verizon Wireless for my friend’s stolen phone by their staff (absolutely factual); never revealed a non-swimmable beach to us either; no snorkeling which was advertised; zero towels at the swimming pool; no revelation of beverage service being discontinued after 11 PM; and very, very rude staff!!!

At the end of the day, we have reconsidered that we would like the entire trip refunded, including the airfare. Clearly, if I had known about these unpleasant experiences, I most certainly would not have booked this trip from the beginning.

As one can see, these factual complaints needed to be pleaded for an entire refund at our stay at the very disappointing experience at Sandos Finisterra. I hope this letter containing our grievances about our stay can truly help your decision for aiding in your decision for you stay in Los Cabo!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Mike P
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Mr. Mike,

We thank you kindly for letting us know your unfortunate scenario during your recent stay with us. It is a priority for our Management team to deliver and exceed our guests expectations while vacationing in our resort.

We are in the process of reviewing with our staff the areas that you are pointing out. We just want to let you know that we left a message on the phone that was on your reservation form.
The person that you spoke at the Front Desk was our Supervisor on turn and after hearing your conversation and not trying to interrupt since you were being attended, our Front Desk Manager then entered the conversation and invited you to continue talking in our offices instead of the Front Desk.

Needless to say we have seen an increase in our occupancy levels particularly during this summer vacation period and as you can see, the vast majority of our clients have good things to say about their stay. We do not take lightly to our areas of opportunity and we will be contacting you directly to go over the details.

Best personal regards and we sincerely hope that after our conversation you consider our resort for your next visit to Los Cabos and see what we have accomplished.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family just came back from this property yesterday. We did reserved 2 rooms over Experia's website with confirmation about 4 weeks ago. Anyway, we arrived late 11:15 PM on 7/27.. the front desk reprentative Miguel... he said I had only one room on his system... I did show him my printout from the experia website... he said he doesn't know because it is a third party company... ???? 5 mins later he said .. oh I found your reservations but I had only 1 room left for tonight. I disagreed with him due to I reserved and confirmed 4 weeks ago. Well... few mins later he said ok...I will have room 131 and my brother will be room132. My room 131 so nice but room 132 opened ... OMG someone were sleeping on the bed.... then Miguel give us to room 119 ....opened the room.... someone in there . Finally 116 is the last solution... the room was not clean .. smell.. mess up ... towels everywhere.. look likes someone just check out late that day. Miguel said : that's all he can do for us ... for that night. I told my brother ... it was over the midnight now ... just clean up little bit and stay couples hours till morning and I will change different room for him. Lucky me , next morning ... I think they already know the situations... I just walk to the counter and the front desk.... her name is Margarita ( very nice) ... she already know what happened last night. She gave us to room 407 and 408. We stayed 5 nights in this resort enjoyed the foods and entertainments. Overall, we had an awesome time in Cabo. All he waiter and waitress were wonderful... The only one I will need to complaint is ALEJANDRO in the Blue Marlin restaurant... no talk .. no smile ... WHAT DO YOU WANT? that's the first question when you will need something from him.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anthony L
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Anthony,

Thank you very much for sharing your unfortunate experience during your check in late on your arrival night.
We have shared this with our staff and we have since taken measures to avoid this from happening again.
After reading your valuable comments we have assigned a set number of rooms for late check ins.

Aside from this, it seems that you and your family were able to enjoy your stay with us,

We did talk with our wait staff as well.

Hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My friend and I visited this property in July 2013. We got there very late at night due to flight delays coming from New York. When we got to our room, the key card did not work. It was a long walk back to the reception area after an already long and exhausting day, but the receptionist was very apologetic to us. Turns out they needed to change the battery in the door for it to open, which they did first thing in the morning for us.

The rest of the days were filled with an amazing stay in a beautiful location! I loved the dining on the 7th floor..you had an amazing view of the the city! It's spectacular in the day and even more amazing at night. The food was good..I particularly enjoyed dining at Blue Marlin, Tortuga Beach and the Pool Bar. It takes a little time to get your food, but you can tell, the food is freshly made and delicious! The guacamole at the Pool bar is to die for. There are definitely a few people who work there who went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable: The server at the Pool bar, Abraham, was absolutely amazing; Raymundo, the instructor for aqua gym was very personable and friendly; and Antonio at the 7th floor bar was also the same!

My friend and I do not speak much Spanish, but I really didn't see any language barriers communicating with the staff who really went above and beyond. I would definitely stay here again. The only downside is that everything closes at 11 pm, and if you want to continue drinking or hanging out your only option is to go downtown (which was also an incredible experience itself). I would have liked to have more night life entertainment at the hotel. Other than that, I really recommend this place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank amyshanta
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay at this beautiful hotel. Great Location and food was good! Perfect for families with younger kids and teens. We will definitely go back to this Hotel! I highly recommend it. You should also try their spa, Alberto did a very relaxing and a superb massage! Overall , we had an awesome time in Cabo, my families first time and definitely not the last! Thank You Cabo

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Popsie72
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The property in itself (even being under construction) was beautiful. The construction can only be heard in certain parts of the property. It is very quiet by the beach and the pools and most of the restaurants. The location was great. We were able to enjoy a quiet beach, as well a short walk into town (10 mins) and the marina(4-5 mins). The beach is non swimmable due to the large crashing waves, however, it was amazing to watch such waves break. Swimmable beaches as well as the "Arch" are a short (4-5 mins) water taxi ride away from the marina. Security at the entrance to the property as well as visible throughout the resort made us feel safe and comfortable during our stay. The maintenance crew was professional and efficient. The property grounds were extremely clean and comfortable. We did notice even the small details of the staff cleaning the grounds daily. All pool furniture and beach chairs were completely wiped down and clean. The towels were clean and fresh. The pools were very clean. We noticed staff checking the chemical levels (even in the waterfalls and other water features) round the clock. We noticed daily cleaning of all the common area hand rails, glass areas, windows, etc... being wiped down every day throughout the day.
On the service side, we cannot compliment enough. The food was enjoyable and tasty in all 4 restaurants we dined in. There was a large variety on each menu. Every service staff we interacted with was amazing. We were happy to tip to each to show our appreciation of excellent service. I would like to take the time to thank and compliment some specific individuals for going above and beyond to make our stay extremely enjoyable and memorable.
J. Caesar (waiter – Blue Marlin Restaurant). He was extremely pleasant, efficient and attentive during our dining experience. He went above and beyond to make our experience more than we could have expected. He was very personable, engaged in conversation with us, and was very informative about the Los Cabos area.
Jorge (bartender – Tortuga) We highly enjoy the service at the Tortuga. Jorge always welcomed us, making amazing drinks and engaging in conversation. The food was amazing and the service great!
Norma (waitress – Agave), Oscar (waiter –in training), Jesus (waiter), J.Luis (waiter), and Antonio (bar tender- VIP bar) were all wonderful serving our needs throughout our dining experience. We found ourselves looking for tables in their area. They were also very personable, engaging in conversation with us, and even addressed us by our names.
Our all inclusive vacation package stated tips were included, however we tipped in addition for the wonderful service we received. The staff was very grateful.
As for the language barrier people are complaining about.... (I don't speak much Spanish, very few words), keep in mind you are in a different country. SPANISH IS THE LANGUAGE THERE. We used the words we knew, and even learned some more just in conversation. Instead of complaining about their English, be grateful they even speak English for your benefit. You apparently don't speak Spanish when foreign visitors come to the United States, how do you expect it the other way around? Take the time to listen (and learn).
All in all, we had a great stay. I gave a "very good" rating rather than the "excellent" rating only because the current construction and renovations in progress could be a problem for some. We are looking forward to coming back when the construction and renovations are complete. I know it is going to be an amazingly beautiful resort upon completion. We visited as a married couple, however, it is perfect for family with kids of all ages as well.

Room Tip: Book a Bay view room- they have been newly renovated. The ocean view rooms have not yet been renova...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Posada Real Los Cabos
#23 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!