“Excellent Stay - Thanks Finisterra”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #24 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We just returned from a six night stay at the Finisterra Hotel. We had an amazing time! We booked the room as an all-inclusive thinking that they would convert 12/21/12. We were in contact with Sandra M. when we found out that the hotel wasn't going to go AI at that time. We were assured that they would honor the AI option for us or we could get a refund since all the AI amenities would not be in place when we were there. We decided to take a chance and we are very happy we did. Yes, there was a lot of construction going on but we expected it and it was interesting seeing the work in progress.

We were given a OV Junior Suite that was recently remodeled and it was very nice. We asked for a higher floor and the fifth floor room we had was perfect for seeing the ocean and the whales going by. I would recommend that you ask for a higher floor so the palm trees do not obstruct your view of the Pacific Ocean.

Best part of the AI option for us was the food in the Blue Marlin Restaurant. It was excellent and we were able to order right off the menu each night. The food and service was fantastic along with the open air in a beautiful setting. Rudolfo and Luis were exceptional in their service and made us feel very special and entertained.

The pools are great and there was plenty of room to relax. Only the one palapa pool was heated but the hot tubs seemed to be all in working order. Jorge, Abel, Abraham were all excellent servers around the pool and they were polite and friendly. The beach was nice and they were building additional "mini palapas" for shaded areas to enjoy. We had fantastic massages by Emma on the beach and the ocean waves in the background was very relaxing.

I understand the frustration on some reviewer's parts because of the construction going on and some amenities not just right, however, I think they are not realizing the money and work going into this property at this time. It is best if you have questions to just email the resort. Sandra M. emailed promptly when we were curious about our stay prior to our arrival. I heard around the pool that the AI will be complete June, 2013.

It is a beautiful property in a great location. It will be fantastic when they complete all the projects they are working on. I hope to stay again in the future when the AI conversion is complete.

2  Thank John N
There are newer reviews for Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our first time in Cabo! Really enjoyed how quiet it was at Finistera. Even though you could not go in the rough water there, being on a quiet beach could not have been more relaxing. The staff was very helpful- and yes the push for timeshare was annoying but we were able to avoid the hassle. Would go back again!

1  Thank Lala7721
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've stayed at the Finisterra probably 7 or 8 times over the past 10 years, but after my last experience, I will never go back. As others have mentioned, the timeshare pressure is beyond ridiculous. When I'm trying to relax on vacation, I don't need an early morning call to try to get me to go to their stupid presentation. The facilities have been neglected for several years now, and many amenities simply don't work anymore. The food and drink prices in the palapa bar have gone way up and the quality has gone down. It's too bad because I love the location and the atmosphere of being on the Pacific side away from Medano Beach, but it seems that all the hotels in the vicinity have gone the timeshare/all-inclusive route lately.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alpinetrout
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Alpinetrout,

We are sorry to read that you had a bad experience during your stay. If you have been a repeat client for so many years it is surprising that you did not noticed all the new lounge chairs in our three pools, the 4 working Jacuzzis, the heated pool, the construction of new palapas by the beach, the entertainment staff that has received great reviews by offering bingo, water aerobics, pool volleyball, hoops for drinks, zumba and stretching classes.

Needless to say we are hard at remodeling with the construction of our new Tortuga Beach Restaurant and bar as well as the works being done in the original section and the new Plaza Finisterra and the outstanding Don Diego restaurant.

We hope that the next time you visit Cabo you can take a walk around the premises to see what we have done with the place.

Maybe some of the other reviews will help you see what we have accomplished so far.

Many happy returns to Cabo!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great staff, location, clean and perfect balance of activities at pool! Upgrades to the facility were being made right before our eyes! Love Freddie, Alvaro, Jorge, Elizabeth, Marguerite, and, at pool.... George and Joel were perfect hosts along with George, the MOST EXCELLENT server!!! So attentive to our needs as a guest. Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been a timeshare owner at the Finisterra before the building was completed. How could you not buy a small piece of paradise?! I have returned every year without fail with friends and family and made many friends over the years as well. There was no Solmar, Playa Grande or Capella. Only 1 pool on the ocean side and the palapa. Life was so simple!

I was just there last week, and as Vancouver noted, the timehshare sales pressure is AWFUL. How sad is it that you have to avoid walking through the lobby and exit through the garage?? My biggest issue is the new management doens't seem to care about the original Finisterra owners. I sent an email to make reservations for 2014 a week ago and cannot get a response back. This happened the end of last year when I was trying to confirm my reservations and it cost me $200 in phone bills because they would not respond to my emails or call me back.

I suspect in time, the original timeshare owners will have to "foot-the-bill" to update the rooms unless you sign up for the new program. I do not need an all-inclusive in a town with so much to see and do. I'm not opitmistic I will receive an email response back from them anytime soon. If someone can post an 800 number that can be used from the US, that would be great.

Chris from IL

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Chris Y

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience.

We do have a toll free number that is also listed here in the Trip Advisor title banner of the hotel it is 1 855 224 5144 and you can ask for our Members desk.
Also you can also write to: asist_timeshare@finisterra.com

It is nice to remember the old days when Cabo was just starting up, but a great secret is hard to keep and with many return clients like you and thousand others the town has grown to one of Mexico’s best and finest vacations spots.

We are sorry that you feel that the All Inclusive program is not for you. The demand and request for a full service AI property in the heart of Cabo is overwhelming considering the savings and benefits that this program brings to the family budget. This allows them to experience the great location of being close to town in order to go out without the need of renting a car or a cab.

As far as members updates we have posted a section in our Finisterra web page where you can see what is happening.

We look forward to your communication and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice before, ut I will never stay there again after this time. This hotel is under FULL CONSTRUCTION right now so I would not stay there for the next 6 months to a year. I called before reserving and was lied to about the noise. I had to change rooms and even then it wasn't any better. If they remodel the newer section after they finish the rmodel of the old section which is going on now, I would not stay for the next year. No matter what room you have, it is soooooo noisy. The construction noise is even heard when you are on the beach. The service at the pool is the only good service, but the food is not good and is overpriced. The front desk service is horrible and the rooms are falling apart. No hot water, beds that are like boxes, you can hear all the noise even without construction. The maid service wakes you up really early with the noise every day. AND, to make matters worse, they totally try to trick you upon arrival and hound you to do a time share presentation. I had someone even follow me into the elevator after I said no more than three times. I said no thanks when I arrived, and then days later I had someone hounding me again. They do not understand "no" the first time. Then there is the guy at the exit of the hotel that will also harrass you every day. It is ridiculous! This is really what it is like if you stay there now. It is about to convert to all-inclusive, no thanks! There are way too many other choices in Cabo!

Room Tip: There is no good room here literally. You will have construction and maid service noise everywhere f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Trvlrathrt

Dear Trvlrathrt,
We are sorry to read that you had a bad experience during your stay.
We do have remodeling going on and we do understand that that can be an issue, but the vast majority of our guests seem to enjoy their stay regardless of the works going on.

We are in the process of updating also the Ocean View section and look forward to our conversion date on May 1.

We are sorry that you feel that the All Inclusive program is not for you. The demand and request for a full service AI property in the heart of Cabo is overwhelming considering the savings and benefits that this program brings to the family budget allowing them to experience the great location of being close to town in order to go out without the need of renting a car or a cab.

We hope that the next time you are walking around the Marina you take a moment to stop by and see what we have accomplished.

Many happy returns to Cabo there are indeed great properties!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first trip to Cabo. My husband and I went on our honeymoon and stayed at Hotel Finisterra, which is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location. The stay itself was average. Our mini fridge didn't work, there was construction and jackhammering the whole time, we had ants, the ice machine on our floor, the floor below us, and above us didn't work, and we had to go two floors up for ice to keep our stuff cold(since the fridge didn't work), we got a phone call at 9 in the morning about our 'arrival package' which ended up being a timeshare proposition, we did the hotels presentation for the timeshare, declined, and was immediately asked again about another timeshare through the hotel even though we had been told and had a paper signed saying they wouldn't ask us again, and the worst was when we would walk into town and come back later in the evening the security at the gate insinuated that I was a prostitute to my husband. The insinuation sort of ruined my Valentines night considering it was the second time it had happened. In the long run, I don't think we would stay there again. Like I said the hotel and location itself were nice but all the other things involved were very dampering on my trip. And the Mexican prostitute insinuation were definitely the worst. This was our honeymoon and it wasn't that great. Especially the timeshare business, you get hit up so much in town for 'activities', 'presentations', and 'timeshares' in general and when you go back to your room the last thing you want is a 9am wakeup call from the hotel itself offering you the same thing. I work at a hotel in Idaho where I live and the things that happened there would never be allowed at my hotel.

Room Tip: you can hear construction from all rooms.
7  Thank Angelina M
Posada Real Los Cabos
#22 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!