WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Rockland, Massachusetts
“2nd Time and Still Charming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My boyfriend, his father and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights January 19 - 21. I stayed at this hotel about 5 years ago with my family and loved it then and we had a really good experience this time as well. We found out that the hotel/resort was recently bought by another hotel chain and there were renovations going on while we were there but that didn't bother or hinder our experience.

We had a smooth check-in, we arrived earlier in the day then the allotted check in time and they found us a room right away. We were asked to attend a "breakfast" and they promised that it would be a low pressure (timeshare) presentation. We agreed to attend the "90 minute" presentation which turned into 2+ hours. They were true to their word that it wasn't really high pressure. When speaking with the concierge that offers this to you I recommend mentioning that you aren't interested in a high pressure sales pitch.

The service down by the pool was great! The waiters were attentive and friendly.

This hotel is an older hotel ("one of the first in Cabo" according to people there) so the T.V. was a regular one cased in a cabinet/dresser piece. The room we stayed in was clean and well maintained. I hope the new owners will put some time into updating their current rooms along with the new renovations they are doing.

The location of the hotel was right next to the marina and it was about a 20 minute walk, 5 minute cab or 20 minute water taxi ride over to the main beach. The beach at this hotel is on the Pacific side so no swimming was allowed in the ocean. The layout of the hotel is cool, they have a "whale watchers club" that is connected to the main hotel by a walk way and the sunset from up there was amazing!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear D Roben,

Thank you for sharing a very objective view of your stay with us. We know it wil help other guests.

As you mentioned we try to accommodate to guests needs to the best of our capability like early or late check in or out. The concierges try their best to convey the great values and opportunities that our Vacation Club has to offer, but compared to other facilities we are known to be "light pitch" as someone else told us.

As far as the units, you can read on our comments some of the things that are ahead for us like new 50" HD TV´s, new soft goods and bed improvements, as well as more restaurants, bars and common grounds.

Our location and value is a well recognized feature and we will continue to strive to give memorable experiences to all our guests.

Hope to see all of you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Polish first
Erskine, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

During our stay at the Hotel Finisterra my husband and I each had a massage from Emma in a little tent-like structure down on the beach. Emma gave us a WONDERFUL massage and was very professional as well. It was a nice atmosphere hearing the ocean waves--yet totally private. If you have never had a massage before or just enjoy a good one--I highly recommend Emma at the Hotel Finisterra.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Glenda61_13
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've been traveling Throughout Mexico giving informational seminars for SkyMed International, along with our CEO. We've had some very nice venues but agree the VERY best was the Hotel Finisterra in Cabo San Lucas! The Palapita conference room overlooking the Pacific is lovely, the buffet luncheon was excellent, and the equipment we required was set up in plenty of time & functioned perfectly. (Always a challenge!). Lupita Rochin & Ramon Ascencio were excellent is responding to all our requirements & requests, keeping in touch with me promptly throughout the planning process. The ultimate compliment came from our CEO who said that in all his travels this winter season throughout Florida, Texas, Arizona, and Mexico, the food at the Finisterra topped the charts! The hotel rooms are very nice, the breakfast buffet is great, all the employees were courteous & helpful, and the location at the tip of the Baja Peninsula, Land's End (Finisterra - finis - end terra - land) is spectacular! The pricing was all very fair & everything exceeded our expectations. We shall be back!

Room Tip: If WiFi is important, make sure to ask for a room with a strong signal. We did and ours were fine.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank cabocathie
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Cathie,

Working with professionals like you and the Sky Med staff makes things much easier and a pleasure to give our 100%!
The success of the event apart from your local promotion and network of partners relies on part to the location and facilities like complimentary covered parking, walking distance to town and as you mentioned our fair rates on meeting requirements and rooms compared to neighboring properties.
We are certain that reviews like yours will open the door to many more potential clients that had forgotten about us or are willing to keep us in their list of optional venues.
We look forward to having the pleasure of hosting again soon!
It is an honor to be a part of the Sky Med vision and please extend our compliments to the rest of the Sky Med team.
Hasta pronto!
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, from the 6th floor we could see the whales jumping in the Pacific, the sand and the wonderful beach, but this is not a party hotel, very quiet, just what I wanted. The hot tubs were not hot, just warm, but it was okay. Asked for a coffee maker for the room and they brought it to the room. The party is at Medano beach, this hotel is just up the hill from the marina, and downtown, a little walk but perfect, We arrived at the airport and were grabbed by the timeshare guys,. they offer you anything if you sit threw the presentation. So we did, got breakfast, taxi (paid round trip $160.00, then the timeshare gives you back $80.00 plus the money for the shuttle to take you back to the airport). Got the glass bottom boat to take us to Lovers beach, drop off and pick up, the pirate ship dinner cruise, the dinner cruise Cabo escape, a spa package that was worth $100.00 (of course the packages at the hotel start at $120.00) So the trip was basically just the price of the hotel and flight. Love that...just had to sit through the timeshare... just don't get mad they wont give you the vouchers, if you walk out...So Cabo...45 minutes away from the airport, food was great, ate at Alexanders for steak and lobster. Nice. Its at the marina. Walked into town and got massages for $20.00 for one hour. Really nice and you can be in the same room as your mate, (if you want). So there is my info. Great trip, great hotel, yes a little old, but clean, and wonderful view, close to town. One last thing, bring mosquito repellant, they are there and attack!!!

Room Tip: Ask for upper levels, better view of the water.
5 Thank pammorgan23
Central, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Five Star-Four Star-Three Star? I spent my first week at the Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo and the facility was outstanding. I had some timeshare overlap and I had a choice of losing 4 nights at the Mayan or the Fin. I forsook the Mayan for the Fin and am sure glad I made that choice. My Fin room #321 was perfect from Jan 7 thru Jan 21. Freshly painted (in fact so fresh that when I rested my arms on the outside railing the fresh blue paint stayed on my arms for 4 days). Drapes looked new to me. Coffee pot, hair dryer, refer, new power toilet and the plastic chairs on the balcony were a lot more comfortable than the lounge chairs on my balcony at the Mayan. Didn't need the room coffee pot because the Fin provided complimentary coffee in the lobby every morning. By the time I left all the ice machines were working. All the elevators worked. By golly I did notice 8 tiny tiles in the hot tub missing but that didn't diminish the great time I was having with the 8 crazy Minnesotans I met - we all laughed about the tiles and said we would take a Star rating away because of the lousy maintenance. There were 3 grand pools - one heated. Why would anyone in their right mind heat all the pools to accommodate 50 people laying around them? I'm not too lazy to walk to a heated pool for my dip in the water. Two of the Hot tubs were heated - I just jumped in and met some more great folks. I was too cheap to buy the Happy Hour beers and brought my own to the pool in a plastic bag. Immediately the pool waiter brought me a bucket of ice.
The Concierge got me 2 discount tickets for the Caborey night cruise which was outstanding.
I did get tired of all the happy Fin people in the lobby, smiling and Hola-ing me in the morning when all I wanted was a Bloody Mary! Forty years ago I stood on the steps of the Hotel Finisterra after riding a motorcycle down the Baja from Ensenada. I remarked to my buddies that I would have reached the pinnacle of all my life expectations if I could ever afford to spend a week in a place as fine as the Fin - now I have 8 years x 2 weeks.
The Fin is a grand old dame and if Sandos hadn't stepped in, she would have lost her way. Sandos has only had responsibility for 6 months and I believe are responsible for making my stay the best of all I've experienced in Mexico. Thanks Sandos!
I posted some opinions on the Finisterra TA Forum concerning the timeshare options. I didn't want to get into all that on this review.

Room Tip: 321 is great !!!
7 Thank TLIPPY
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Had a day between my timeshare weeks so I booked a room here for 20 Jan '13. Disappointed that the refrigerator could not make icecubes and there was no kitchen facilities, not even a coffe pot. So had to eat in town. The pool area and beack were ok, but not as nice as the Playa Grande next door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ggordonstewart
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear ggordonstewart,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your one night experience. We are working on our studio sections in the upcoming months in order to upgrade the room amenities and features.
Normally our hotel guests’ rooms do not offer kitchenettes and there are several rooms that have new bed spreads and furnishings. Our conversion to All Inclusive continues and we look forward to be ready by this spring.

Hope that next time you visit our neighbors you have the chance to stop by and see what we have accomplished.
l.a.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Visited in early 2013. The wifi barely works unless you are by the pool. Various fixtures were broken and they have florescent lighting, (which is not too flattering when you are on vacation). Our stovetop didn't work, the t.v. was virtually unwatchable, (poor reception). Be sure to ask for a top floor room, since you can hear every footstep if you are on a lower floor. Additionally, we had construction noise every morning. The front desk staff was not very friendly, although they did apologize for the many shortcoming and kept reminding us that "a new owner" was taking over. The maid service was the exception, and were always prompt and courteous. Until they update rooms & improve services, you'll be far better off elsewhere!

Room Tip: Top floor - nice views & less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank minicity
Dear Minicity,

Thank you for your comments. As you noted we are working with the updates and improvements in our original section over the cliff and expect to be ready for this spring.

We do promote the free WiFi in our Lobby and restaurants and currently we have just added a new antenna that offers certain coverage in the room balconies. In the future we will have the option to have service inside the rooms for an additional charge.

We thank you for your comment on our maid services that are dedicated and committed. Other guests have experienced similar comments in our other departments and we will continue to look for ways to improve.

Hope you take the time to stop by during your next visit to see the improvements.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Villa La Estancia
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,358 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Res...
#24 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Dorada Los Cabos
Casa Dorada Los Cabos
#16 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,740 reviews

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!