“This place needs a serious update in amenities & service”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #23 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
l.a.
“This place needs a serious update in amenities & service”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Visited in early 2013. The wifi barely works unless you are by the pool. Various fixtures were broken and they have florescent lighting, (which is not too flattering when you are on vacation). Our stovetop didn't work, the t.v. was virtually unwatchable, (poor reception). Be sure to ask for a top floor room, since you can hear every footstep if you are on a lower floor. Additionally, we had construction noise every morning. The front desk staff was not very friendly, although they did apologize for the many shortcoming and kept reminding us that "a new owner" was taking over. The maid service was the exception, and were always prompt and courteous. Until they update rooms & improve services, you'll be far better off elsewhere!

Room Tip: Top floor - nice views & less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank minicity
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Minicity,

Thank you for your comments. As you noted we are working with the updates and improvements in our original section over the cliff and expect to be ready for this spring.

We do promote the free WiFi in our Lobby and restaurants and currently we have just added a new antenna that offers certain coverage in the room balconies. In the future we will have the option to have service inside the rooms for an additional charge.

We thank you for your comment on our maid services that are dedicated and committed. Other guests have experienced similar comments in our other departments and we will continue to look for ways to improve.

Hope you take the time to stop by during your next visit to see the improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Polish first
Eastsound, Washington
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The following letter was emailed to Finisterra management on December 6th 2012. This was our third time contacting Finisterra and we recieved no response to any of the attmpts. When we checked out we were asked to fill out a survey, which we did explaining our frustrations, and we asked management to contact us and once again got no response.

Dear Finisterra management,
I am very frustrated with how the hotel has handled my reservation for December 29-Jan 1. My wife made this reservation in August as a part of our upcoming honeymoon. We chose at that time to return to the Finisterra because we had celebrated our first Christmas together there when we were just dating in 2005. We enjoyed the hotel abnd staff and thought it would be romantic to return there now that we are finally married. Our total for a Jr. Suite was $562.76 USD after taxes. Shortly after booking our room my wife saw the same room on your web site advertised for less. She emailed the hotel inquiring about recieveing the lower price, but recieved no response. Although the lower rate would have been appreciated, we felt we were paying a reasonable price so we did not pursue the matter. Our reservation and confirmation is very specific that payment is due upon arrival. On december 4th my wife recieved an email sent at 11:56 AM telling her "We must recieve payment by 18:00 mountain time in order to confirm your space", essentially giving her seven hours to respond assuming she checks her email on a constant basis which she does not. There was then a second email from Sandra Marquez at 2:22 assuring her that the previous email was not a scam. When my wife checked her email that evening she recieved these emails which sent her into a bit of a worried frenzy since from what she read the final portion of our honeymoon (which we have been waiting for 5 months to have specifically to recreate some of our original vacation in baja) now was in jeapordy of not having a place to stay. We are both very aware of how difficult it can be to get lodging in that area at that time of year which is why we made the reservation well in advance. I assured her that although it was too late to call the hotel I would take care of it in the morning. I called the hotel first thing in the morning on Wednesday December 5th and spoke with Sandra Marquez. She explained that the email was not a scam and that due to 100% occupancy they needed payment now to secure our room. I have been a Chef in hotels for over 20 years and although the reservation agreement between ourselves and the Finisterra clearly states that payment is due upon arrival, I was happy to give Mrs. Marquez my credit card information to charge the room total on to guarantee our room. This morning my bank statement showed that $612.44 had been deducted from my account by Finisterra, not the $562.76 which both Mrs. Marquez and my reservation confirmation stated as the sum due. I called and spoke with Mrs. marquez again this mlorning and she explained to me that because the Finisterra charges 13.90 pesos per dollar the total due is 7822.335 pesos, which with todays exchange rate is actually $612.44. I understand that you charge in pesos and that for the ease of the accounting department have to set a rate that does not change with the daily currency fluctuation, but I am still not OK with the fact that the room is costing an additional $50 USD more than what is the aknowledged room rate. That equates to a 10% fee on top of the 24% tax and is not right. Had the room been booked under pesos instead of US dollars would you have charged 10% more for it because of the required pre payment? To sum it up our experience thus far has been; unresponsive to email inquiring about a lower advertised room rate, email threatening to cancel our reservation unless we responded within 7 hours of it having been sent, demanding full pre payment contrary to the reservation agreement made by the Finisterra and my wife, and a $49.68 USD overcharge for the afore mentioned room. My satisfaction level with the hotel is currently very low and we have not even left home yet. I expect a resort such as yours to behave in a professional and consistant manner with at least some attempt to create guest satisfaction. I aknowledge that you currently have us over a barrel in that there are little to no other options in Cabo for those dates and that we both really want to stay at the Finisterra, and that our room is already booked and payed for, but I hope that whomever recieves this email is professional enough to contact me in order to attempt to take this negative experience and make it a positive one. Each issue unto itself is frustrating enough, but add them all together and we have something that most hotel management would consider unacceptable for their guests to have to negotiate through. I appreciate your time and effort in this matter.

Our stay at Finisterra was fine. It is obviously a previously grand resort that has not been cared for properly over the years. Tiles are missing in the hot tubs, things are run down in general, painting is poor, the place generally needs a full overhaul to bring back up to par with the newer cabo resorts. The price for rooms reflects the quality of the hotel, we got an OK price for an OK room. Avoid all people in the lobby as they are going to try and sell you part of their time share (it is just like the airport, we can give you x y & z if you will just listen to our short presentation), we did not even feel comfortable anymore trying to book stuff through the concierge service so we did all of the booking ourselves just to avoid the hassle.
There are a lot of hotels in Cabo and we will pay a little more to ensure a place that regards its guests experience as their primary concern.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank IslandChef_13
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were quite pleased by the reception of the staff at this resort. At no point did we feel that we were anything less than appreciated. The staff learned our names immediately, called us by such daily and politely offered to be of service without being pushy. Surprisingly, there were very few others there that week. You all missed out. The pool side was comfortable and quiet. The food upstairs delicious. Watching the whales breech and breath from our balcony was exciting. There were a few times that we could hear their calls. The location is excellent, not only being at the "end of the earth", we back up a few paces to be within walking distance of more good food, diving accomodations at Manta Divers, a dinner cruz with Cabomar, a quirky locals bar of fishermen that made for an evening of some jovial beers, shots, and singing along with their local folklorico (I didn't know a word, but it didn't matter-I sang the vowels only) and swimming with dolphins. There is also a neat little organic market "Cabo Organic Market at Pedragal" within walking distance and eat at at Penny Lane while you are there . Get some produce, cheese and bread, bring it to the room and eat at home. Remember tourism is their livelihood, so there are a lot of hawkers seeking your business. They calm down as they repeatedly see you day after day. Until then, smile, say thank you, but no (gracias, pero no) or if brave enough "vivo aqui". They will give you space. What a wonderful week of rest, adventure and good food with a very hospitable people. Viva Cabo!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PearlsOyster
Dear PearlsOyster,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are certain that other travelers will find it useful. It reflects that you have embraced the Finisterra spirit and the heart and soul of Cabo.
Many happy returns.
University Place, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was my second visit to the Hotel Finisterra, and it was exactly what I needed (again). Quiet, clean, and beautiful. This time I traveled with family and we all had unique, but enjoyable experiences.
+The Pools were amazing. The Poolside service was terrific (most enjoyed by my 20 year old son :) Ahem.
+The Waves on the beach and the lack of insanity on a secluded site was INVALUABLE to me.
+The close proximity to the marina was fun ~ we took water taxi's to many places, and loved getting to know the different vendors as we strolled around the marina each day.
+We walked (or water taxied) everywhere. But loved coming back to the Finesterra and away from the Cruise ship craziness on Medano Beach.
+Enjoyed two different cruises on EcoCat -- Sunset and Snorkeling and had WAY too much fun. ( I swear I was over served.... but my sons testify I ordered all the adult beverages.)
This trip we were convicted to try and eat only local small establishments and had amazing food and experiences at Solomon's Landing and believe it or not...lunch at "The Office" were top notch!
- Save yourself some $$ and stay away from Cabo Wabo. What a waste.
Service and staff were pleasant and the hotel maids are (as always) very appreciative of numerous $2 bills left each day,if warranted.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Adrienne H
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Adrienne,

Thank you for your objective reviews and suggestions, we are certain that other travelers will find them useful.

As you mentioned one of our strongest features aside from our location is the peace and quiet in our private Finisterra Beach. We have a dedicated staff that receives many great comments especially at the pool and our maids. All of them get motivated when they see the appreciation of the guests thru tips as you noted :-)

Have a sensational 2013 for you and your family! We look forward to your next trip and we hope that you stay with us again
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I started coming to Cabo San Lucas in '83 but over the years we've stopped coming here just because there are so many other great places to visit. This was our first visit to Cabo in over 10 years. After this trip we plan on frequenting this town again. Part of what made the trip so good was the fact that we stayed at the Hotel Finesterra.

First all one needs to be aware that the what is now called "The Hotel Finisterra" is not the same hotel as the original Hotel Finisterra. The old hotel was a magnificent structure notched into the cliff high above the beach. That old structure is still in existence and it looks like there are converting them to time shares or condos or something. All that's left is the outer shell ie floors, walls and ceilings.

So what is now called "The Hotel Finisterra" is a new set of buildings built down at the beach right in front of the old Finisterra. The new Finisterra buildings are not architecturally interesting like the magnificent old Finisterra. But they are fine. The buildings are brand new, clean, well maintained.

The room we had was very nice. It was called a "junior suite". It was large, had a nice ocean view. Comfortable bed, good shower, iron and ironing board, fridge, TV (although we didn't try it). The only thing missing according to my wife was a full length mirror.

The staff was great. They responded to our every request. Very friendly.

I have this rule against eating dinner in my hotel in Mexico. I've learned it's always better to go into town for dinner. So I can't comment on dinner at the Finisterra. But we had a light lunch a couple times at the palapa by the pool and it was good. Very good guacamole.

The great thing about the Finisterra is the location. I love that beach. They say you shouldn't go in the water because of dangerous currents. But I find that once you get out past the rough shore break it's okay. I go just beyond the shore break so I can't comment on the currents if you go way out there.

We practically had the beach to ourselves. It felt like Cabo in 1983. Just beautiful. We laid on the pool chaise lounges, a few of which, the hotel considerately places on the sand near the water.

Next door is the Capella where it costs like $1,500 per night. Ironically their beach was crowded with guests. But in front of the Finisterra is was nearly empty.

Unfortunately in March Finisterra is going full service so we won't be returning. I'm hoping the full service approach fails and then we'll return. So it's adios to the Finisterra at least for a few years

Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Harley F
Dear Harley,

Thanks for your detailed comments and for sharing your experience while staying with us. We are very glad to see that you are considering more frequent returns to Cabo.

As you well noted, our original section was iconic and thus we are investing with the new conversion to Sandos Finisterra where the original section will be completely redone but respecting the facade. This will include state of the art eco friendly units that will feature solar panels, water recycling systems, energy saving and ergonomic feel that will captivate our guests.
Regarding your practice of enjoying the local restaurants for you dining experience we invite you take a look at future comments of our guests since we implemented the All Inclusive Concept.

Our flagship restaurant Don Diego will be parched at the top of the cliff where our business center used to be and will feature incredible views of the Bay and the Marina as well as a superb A la Carte Menu. You can also read in this blog about our Blue Marlin Restaurant, so maybe next time you visit town you are welcome to take a look at.

We wish for you a successful 2013 and look forward to your next review.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The resort is clean and well kept. I've enjoyed going there for almost 20 years now. One thing I would change are the lounge chairs. They're very uncomfortable and you can't lay on your stomach. Also, all the hot tubs should be kept hot. One last request would be to not approach guests in the lobby for a timeshare when they first arrive. It's annoying when you just want to get to your room. Otherwise the people are friendly and very nice. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Matkyart,

Thanks for posting your review! We will take your comments into consideration.

We will be featuring different beach and pool lounge set ups once we finalize our conversion this spring.

Regarding our hot tubs we currently have 4 heated and operating and two more are pending. Returning guests for many years are delighted to see that finally we have those four operating and heated.

We have shared your comment with the concierge staff regarding the approach. They are here to provide you guidance and assistance and also invite guests to learn about our new program. Many guests welcome their invitation and information but we are aware that for some others is hard after a long flight.

We are all excited about our future conversion and we invite you to stop by during your next visit to Cabo to see for yourselves the improvements and changes achieved.

Best regards,
Arvada, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location. I was worried from other reviews that the hill was very steep. My daughter and I didn't have any problem walking up and down it. Only took a few minutes and you were in the marina. In between Pedegral and the arch on the ocean. Happy hour was great. Wasn't very busy which I liked. Kind of like having your own hotel. I would stay here again. Beautiful.

We had a wonderful time. My daughter and I.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ashley B
Dear Ashley,

Thank you for taking the time to share. As you stated the easy walk to and from the Marina is enjoyed by many and we do offer the shuttle service form the lobby to the main entrance for those that request it, this is a walk that is close to 200 yards or so.

You are only 7 minutes away from the heart of the marina stores and restaurantes at a strolling pace, so no wonder many happy guests keep choosing us since we offer the best of both worlds: Our private Finisterra Beach and walking distance to town.

Looking forward to your return in the near future! Have an extraordinary 2013 filled with Cabo memories!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Villa La Estancia
Villa La Estancia
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!