“Pre-Christmas 2012”

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were quite pleased by the reception of the staff at this resort. At no point did we feel that we were anything less than appreciated. The staff learned our names immediately, called us by such daily and politely offered to be of service without being pushy. Surprisingly, there were very few others there that week. You all missed out. The pool side was comfortable and quiet. The food upstairs delicious. Watching the whales breech and breath from our balcony was exciting. There were a few times that we could hear their calls. The location is excellent, not only being at the "end of the earth", we back up a few paces to be within walking distance of more good food, diving accomodations at Manta Divers, a dinner cruz with Cabomar, a quirky locals bar of fishermen that made for an evening of some jovial beers, shots, and singing along with their local folklorico (I didn't know a word, but it didn't matter-I sang the vowels only) and swimming with dolphins. There is also a neat little organic market "Cabo Organic Market at Pedragal" within walking distance and eat at at Penny Lane while you are there . Get some produce, cheese and bread, bring it to the room and eat at home. Remember tourism is their livelihood, so there are a lot of hawkers seeking your business. They calm down as they repeatedly see you day after day. Until then, smile, say thank you, but no (gracias, pero no) or if brave enough "vivo aqui". They will give you space. What a wonderful week of rest, adventure and good food with a very hospitable people. Viva Cabo!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank PearlsOyster
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear PearlsOyster,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are certain that other travelers will find it useful. It reflects that you have embraced the Finisterra spirit and the heart and soul of Cabo.
Many happy returns.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was my second visit to the Hotel Finisterra, and it was exactly what I needed (again). Quiet, clean, and beautiful. This time I traveled with family and we all had unique, but enjoyable experiences.
+The Pools were amazing. The Poolside service was terrific (most enjoyed by my 20 year old son :) Ahem.
+The Waves on the beach and the lack of insanity on a secluded site was INVALUABLE to me.
+The close proximity to the marina was fun ~ we took water taxi's to many places, and loved getting to know the different vendors as we strolled around the marina each day.
+We walked (or water taxied) everywhere. But loved coming back to the Finesterra and away from the Cruise ship craziness on Medano Beach.
+Enjoyed two different cruises on EcoCat -- Sunset and Snorkeling and had WAY too much fun. ( I swear I was over served.... but my sons testify I ordered all the adult beverages.)
This trip we were convicted to try and eat only local small establishments and had amazing food and experiences at Solomon's Landing and believe it or not...lunch at "The Office" were top notch!
- Save yourself some $$ and stay away from Cabo Wabo. What a waste.
Service and staff were pleasant and the hotel maids are (as always) very appreciative of numerous $2 bills left each day,if warranted.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Adrienne H
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Adrienne,

Thank you for your objective reviews and suggestions, we are certain that other travelers will find them useful.

As you mentioned one of our strongest features aside from our location is the peace and quiet in our private Finisterra Beach. We have a dedicated staff that receives many great comments especially at the pool and our maids. All of them get motivated when they see the appreciation of the guests thru tips as you noted :-)

Have a sensational 2013 for you and your family! We look forward to your next trip and we hope that you stay with us again

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I started coming to Cabo San Lucas in '83 but over the years we've stopped coming here just because there are so many other great places to visit. This was our first visit to Cabo in over 10 years. After this trip we plan on frequenting this town again. Part of what made the trip so good was the fact that we stayed at the Hotel Finesterra.

First all one needs to be aware that the what is now called "The Hotel Finisterra" is not the same hotel as the original Hotel Finisterra. The old hotel was a magnificent structure notched into the cliff high above the beach. That old structure is still in existence and it looks like there are converting them to time shares or condos or something. All that's left is the outer shell ie floors, walls and ceilings.

So what is now called "The Hotel Finisterra" is a new set of buildings built down at the beach right in front of the old Finisterra. The new Finisterra buildings are not architecturally interesting like the magnificent old Finisterra. But they are fine. The buildings are brand new, clean, well maintained.

The room we had was very nice. It was called a "junior suite". It was large, had a nice ocean view. Comfortable bed, good shower, iron and ironing board, fridge, TV (although we didn't try it). The only thing missing according to my wife was a full length mirror.

The staff was great. They responded to our every request. Very friendly.

I have this rule against eating dinner in my hotel in Mexico. I've learned it's always better to go into town for dinner. So I can't comment on dinner at the Finisterra. But we had a light lunch a couple times at the palapa by the pool and it was good. Very good guacamole.

The great thing about the Finisterra is the location. I love that beach. They say you shouldn't go in the water because of dangerous currents. But I find that once you get out past the rough shore break it's okay. I go just beyond the shore break so I can't comment on the currents if you go way out there.

We practically had the beach to ourselves. It felt like Cabo in 1983. Just beautiful. We laid on the pool chaise lounges, a few of which, the hotel considerately places on the sand near the water.

Next door is the Capella where it costs like $1,500 per night. Ironically their beach was crowded with guests. But in front of the Finisterra is was nearly empty.

Unfortunately in March Finisterra is going full service so we won't be returning. I'm hoping the full service approach fails and then we'll return. So it's adios to the Finisterra at least for a few years

Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Harley F

Dear Harley,

Thanks for your detailed comments and for sharing your experience while staying with us. We are very glad to see that you are considering more frequent returns to Cabo.

As you well noted, our original section was iconic and thus we are investing with the new conversion to Sandos Finisterra where the original section will be completely redone but respecting the facade. This will include state of the art eco friendly units that will feature solar panels, water recycling systems, energy saving and ergonomic feel that will captivate our guests.
Regarding your practice of enjoying the local restaurants for you dining experience we invite you take a look at future comments of our guests since we implemented the All Inclusive Concept.

Our flagship restaurant Don Diego will be parched at the top of the cliff where our business center used to be and will feature incredible views of the Bay and the Marina as well as a superb A la Carte Menu. You can also read in this blog about our Blue Marlin Restaurant, so maybe next time you visit town you are welcome to take a look at.

We wish for you a successful 2013 and look forward to your next review.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The resort is clean and well kept. I've enjoyed going there for almost 20 years now. One thing I would change are the lounge chairs. They're very uncomfortable and you can't lay on your stomach. Also, all the hot tubs should be kept hot. One last request would be to not approach guests in the lobby for a timeshare when they first arrive. It's annoying when you just want to get to your room. Otherwise the people are friendly and very nice. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Matkyart,

Thanks for posting your review! We will take your comments into consideration.

We will be featuring different beach and pool lounge set ups once we finalize our conversion this spring.

Regarding our hot tubs we currently have 4 heated and operating and two more are pending. Returning guests for many years are delighted to see that finally we have those four operating and heated.

We have shared your comment with the concierge staff regarding the approach. They are here to provide you guidance and assistance and also invite guests to learn about our new program. Many guests welcome their invitation and information but we are aware that for some others is hard after a long flight.

We are all excited about our future conversion and we invite you to stop by during your next visit to Cabo to see for yourselves the improvements and changes achieved.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location. I was worried from other reviews that the hill was very steep. My daughter and I didn't have any problem walking up and down it. Only took a few minutes and you were in the marina. In between Pedegral and the arch on the ocean. Happy hour was great. Wasn't very busy which I liked. Kind of like having your own hotel. I would stay here again. Beautiful.

We had a wonderful time. My daughter and I.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ashley B

Dear Ashley,

Thank you for taking the time to share. As you stated the easy walk to and from the Marina is enjoyed by many and we do offer the shuttle service form the lobby to the main entrance for those that request it, this is a walk that is close to 200 yards or so.

You are only 7 minutes away from the heart of the marina stores and restaurantes at a strolling pace, so no wonder many happy guests keep choosing us since we offer the best of both worlds: Our private Finisterra Beach and walking distance to town.

Looking forward to your return in the near future! Have an extraordinary 2013 filled with Cabo memories!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed in Finisterra week of Christmas. The location is fantastic! you wake up to the sounds of the ocean and beautiful view from the room. The restaurant is fabulous - great views and the breakfast buffet lovely. Facilities and rooms are maintained clean. And staff helpful. ....Unfortunately there are some negatives that take away from the otherwise enjoyable experience which I hope they will address:

1) A very unprofessional and un-helpful concierge. All days of our 4 night stay, we found the same guy - he was only interested in selling us promotions and pretty much refused to even book our shuttle/taxi to airport because we were paying for the shuttle with a coupon that Playa Grande had given us! I think the hotel should separate the duties of a concierge and a promotions salesman or stop claiming they have a concierge service

2) The bathroom needs updating. Very old stuff (example the toilet seat keeps slamming your back, caked-up paint (hopefully that is what it was!) on the toilet seat....you get the idea.

3) The WiFi works fine in the lobby but almost never works in the rooms. Ofcourse when you are in CSL it is criminal to be sitting in the room and browsing instead being out in the beach - but it is a useful feature if it works. In our case I wanted to use skype to call abroad and having to go out to the lobby everytime is a pain at night

4) CAUTION: they have telephones & a placard that clearly say in bold letters that 800 calls to USA & Canada carry no charge - NOT TRUE. When I asked the operator to check and confirm she said that was before March 2012 - I guess they changed the policy but never updated the signs. Also all the numbers on the phones (to call concierge, front desk etc) are invalid - you have to call 0. My guess is they changed telcom contract and never bothered to update the rooms and the phones

4) The beds are old and backpain is guaranteed

This is going to be a GREAT RESORT if they will just do these small updates and changes. In spite of these issues we will go there again if the price is right because positives far outweigh the negatives - I am just sad what should have been an easy 5* becomes a 3 for lack of such issues!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are equally good. But remember from your balcony there is ;little privacy!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank K S

Dear KSINUSA,

Thank you for your objective review of our property. For starters we want to share with you that the person that you are referring to received a copy of your comment and after verifying other comments this person is no longer a part of our Concierge team and has left the company.

We are sorry to hear about your toilet issues; it seems that our team could have changed the toilet seat easily once reported. We did have very high occupancy levels for those weeks. The update of room and bath furnishings will be part of the upcoming conversion that will be set in different stages. We invite you to read other reviews where we have received high comments on our maid service and cleanliness of rooms

Regarding our FREE WiFi we only offer it in public areas and restaurants. In the future we will have the infrastructure to offer service in the room balconies and inside the units for an additional fee.

Thank you for your comment on the Toll Free numbers. You are correct we did change our providers and need to revise the tent cards in the rooms. We do have a tentative information card advising clients of the dialing procedures and new extensions.

We invite you to look us up next time you are planning to visit Cabo to see the improvements and new overall additions to the resort.

Saludos from Cabo!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Can' t fault the place we had a fist class stay there ,
The hotel staff 150%, Dinning out of this world 1 st class,
Veiws out over the Pacfice breath taking.
I recommend this hotel and will stay there again Nov 2013
and return again for xmass

George Jeavons Rockford ill

Room Tip: just tell them what you want and you will get it
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank george j
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear George,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value all our guests’ comments and having such a concrete and positive report keeps the motivation up for all our staff. We know we are putting our hearts out every day to turn things around and make this the best experience and value for your money, we will continue to strive for excellence!

Gracias and have an extraordinary 2013, we will be waiting for you in November and the Holidays again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Posada Real Los Cabos
Posada Real Los Cabos
#22 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!