We had a recent stay at the Hotel Finisterra in Cabo. We DO NOT recommend that people stay there. If you have the opportunity to change your reservations, do so.
The staff are extremely nice, they just don’t have anything to work with. This review is not a reflection on them. These issues are management issues.
It is hard to figure out whether this, once grand, property is failing on life support or dead with someone trying to revive it. The issue range from the property being a ghost town, availability of food and beverage, the price of the food once it is available, lack of maintenance in the guest rooms and deterioration of the facilities to the extent that sliding doors in the room take all the strength and weight one can muster to get them open. Another challenge is, once you cut your rates to the level they have, you attract a clientele that might not even be able to afford the trip, were it not for these cut rates. Listening to drunks fight in a room was an interesting experience, followed shortly by the sound of projectile vomiting. Not your average Cabo Resort experience…
Of particular note our experiences were:
- In a pool area that could easily seat 500, the most ever observed was 11.
- In a restaurant that could seat 200 we were often the only guests. On one occasion, there was another couple there.
- No coffee (or food) is available before 8 AM and there are no coffee makers in the rooms.
- When you do find coffee it will cost you $5 USD per cup in the bar at 8 AM. However they serve no food until 10 AM and then it is only a limited lunch menu. To get breakfast you have to go up 7 stories, cross a bride, go up several more stories and then you can find a good tasting breakfast, albeit quite expensive.
- Have your wallet ready if you go to dinner - a simple dinner of local Mexican food and an ice tea for 2 people cost $62 USD before tip. This is about double what it would cost at any other resort in Cabo.
- This facility has not been maintained in years. Light fixtures are rusting in the rooms, the shower curtain bar was barely staying mounted, there are electrical grounding issues in some of the fixtures – you can feel current flow when you touch the metal fixture and the linens were not of Motel 6 standards.
- The lack of maintenance has lead to corrosion issues that present a danger. The sliding doors serve as a secondary exit to the room. That said, the door was initially corroded shut. Once I was able to get it to open, it took all my strength to open it again. It was on the track, just simply corroded to the point of failure.
All or a significant part of this property needs to be shut down until it can be brought up to reasonable safety and maintenance standards.
We booked through Expedia. We were shocked that they would list this property, in its current condition. Interestingly enough, we posted a review of our stay on Expedia, at their request, and they have yet to post our review.
If you value your vacation time, do not stay at this property. It is not a place to go and enjoy your time away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Landmark Resort. Best location in town with Ocean and Bay views. Located in the "Heart and Soul of Cabo"!Live the legend of the new SANDOS Finisterra ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT unique architecture overlooking the Bay of San Lucas or enjoy the largest family rooms facing the Pacific sunsets in any of our Jr. Suites. All within a short walk to restaurants, night life, shops, fishing and water sports. Free WiFi in Lobby and Restaurants. Endless beach walks and amazing pools. Embrace the Cabo sun in any of our three amazing pools or have a snack at the largest and tallest Palapa in the Pacific. For the evenings enjoy a margarita at the historical Blue Marlin Bar where Keith Richards and Brooke Shields loved to relax. If you like tennis we have 2 courts for you free of charge. Ideal for Families or Couples that want the best value. The Jr. Suites Ocean View rooms have the largest capacity in Cabo sleeping 3 adults and 2 children with our 2 Queen and Sofa beds. Just perfect for the family that needs best value for their money! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Finisterra Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Hotel Finisterra Cabo San Lucas
- Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos Cabo San Lucas