“Cabo Villas Beach Resort”

Cabo Villas Beach Resort
Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 15, 2007

For the first part of our trip to Cabo we stayed at Cabo Villas Beach resort which was average compared to Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. Researching the different hotels it seemed as if there is always plenty of construction going on and pretty hard to get away from. Our room was on the second floor with a little patio area facing the new hotel under construction (I was very concerned that we would be stuck in one of the ‘dungeon’ rooms). We were not able to hear much of the construction going on as long as the sliding door was shut. The room was very clean and well furnished, we couldn’t have asked for anything more as far as boarding was concerned. The infinity pool was nice; however, most of it was shaded in the afternoon. There were three pools total and I had hoped for the two other pools to be larger. It was pretty quiet when we were there and the staff was pleasant. Of course, we had to sit through their little ‘registration’ and tried to bribe us with a free breakfast to listen to the timeshare presentation. We kindly said no several times and the lady obliged. Our safe was not working upon our arrival and someone promptly returned to fix it after we called the front desk. The ‘private beach’ was the most disappointing aspect of the trip because it really was not private at all. The area was roped off by the hotel; unfortunately, the pesky vendors would walk right through and bothered you. I was very disappointed to see that the hotel staff did nothing to keep them away. The location of the hotel was awesome. Overall, if we were to ever come back to Cabo San Lucas, I would probably stay here again due to the location.

Geselbracht, Kathrina

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank kvg015

Reviewed August 5, 2007

Well, let me start by saying the previous reviews scared me a little. When we arrived at Cabo Villas we were taken into a timeshare place by the pool. This is where they ask you for all you check-in information and try to sign you up for a timeshare presentation. My husband and I explained that we were their on our honeymoon and it was something that we wouldn't be interested in and they left it at that. When we got to our room we overlooked a bunch of trees with no view of the water. I asked if we could have a different room and they told us that RCI only had rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors. I then asked what if we paid for an upgrade and they showed us this beautiful room. We paid $300 for the upgrade but it was well worth it. The view was absoulutely beautiful. The other problem that we had was all of our credit cards had froze because of foreign charges. We did not know that we had to notify our companies about going to Mexico. I guess better safe ten sorry. Make sure you bring all the cash your going to spend and know you dollars to pesos. Getting money out their in Cabo is a nightmare. All of the resturants that are at Cabo Villas are excellent. You are at a prime location for everything. Water sports, the marina and fine dinning are just a few minutes away. I felt very safe and everyone was very friendly. I would without a doubt stay at Cabo Villas again. It is a great place for honeymooners and families. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christina F
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We just returned home from 8 days in Cabo San Lucas. While there we stayed @ Cabo Villa's Beach Resort. I must admit after reading other reviews, I was nervous, but as soon as we arrived, all fears were put to rest.
First of all allow me to say, "YES", there is construction. The area is growing! There is dust...on the balcony's though, and housekeeping cleaned daily paying close attention to this specific fact. The only way to have dust in your room is if you left the balcony door opened (and they ask that you not).
All the pool's were crowded, and at all hours of the day. Busy time I suppose. Honestly, I was looking for a pool in the shade since I am so fair complected and burn easily. My refuge was a huge umbrella, pool side.
The Spa is still under construction (underground and looking into the infinity pool..neat huh?) so I did receive my massage in a converted guest room. It was small, but within 5 minutes of the treatment, I didn't mind. My privacy prior and post treatment was assured by the therapist, and since the appointment book stayed full, the other guests didn't mind its size or its prices either. 45.00 for an hour massage, need I say more?
The restaurants on site were good, I prefered the Baja Cantina to the Sunset Grill though. I liked being on the beach! Angel, bellman @ the resort mentioned Edith's (which is right next door) was wonderful! Lorenzillo's (@ the marina, which is a 5 minute walk) was terrific! The best Lobster I have ever had, not to mention top notch service! The absolute best place to be (in my opinion) was Senor Sweets! The are also outside the Puerto Paraiso @ the Marina. Gelato, Sorbet, Desserts, coffee's and every flavor margarita you can think of! Thank God we found this place day 1 of our trip! We were there every evening for at least a cup of sorbet or gelato!
As far as activities, we were advised by Claudia @ Cabo Villa's to take the Caboret Dinner Cruise! She was right! The food and entertainment was great! They even sail past the Arch @ Land's End, take your photo and have it for @ the end of the cruise.
As we all know, all good things must come to an end. My only complaint with the resort was that we were told @ check in that the beige umbrella's on the beach belonged to the resort and that the servers from the Baja Cantina were at our every command (and they were). Three different days while we were there, a huge cruise ship docked out in the bay. It's passengers piled onto the beach with their navy blue "Carnival" beach towels (easily identifiable) and helped themselved to the chairs on "our beach." Well, as long as they agreed to take the timeshare tour, it was not a problem...oh and by the way...let your teenager, and the 14 friends they brought along on the cruise with you hang out in the pools while we talk business! Well other passengers saw the path to the pools, and were there too, touring or not! What happened to the guy that questioned us each and everytime we started up those stairs for our room number assuring we were guests of the resort? The resort is small and quant, which is why we chose it...but it is too small for its guests (at full capacity and half the Carnival cruise ship.)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kevellie
Reviewed July 15, 2007

My wife and I stayed five nights at Cabo Villa Beach Resorts and enjoyed our stay. In addition to great rooms, I was also able to work via wireless connection to my laptop. For those without laptops, they offer free Internet on two computers near the putting green.

We also fished aboard their sport fishing boat, Bad Medicine, which was an awesome experience. We caught two striped marlin and one dorado.

The next day we fished with a panga and caught a trigger fish that we had Sunset Grill, at the top of Cabo Villas Beach Resort, prepare for us. For only $4.50 per person they expertly prepared our fish several ways.

I also had a great massage for just $38 for an hour. They have done some renovations and plan to build a new building with new units in the future.

Given the prime location and access to the beach, downtown and the marina, I would stay at Cabo Villas Beach Resort.

John

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank MrHalibut
Reviewed July 6, 2007

I stayed at the Cabos Villas during June of '07 - my best friend and I shared a room. I wanted to warn fellow travelers that this hotel is NOT for someone who is sensitive to noise. The hotel is poorly insulated, and because there is no carpeting, this makes it even worse.

We were woken up on two mornings to the sound of our upstairs neighbor's table and chairs being dragged back and forth across the floor. It was so loud it sounded like it was coming from the same room! And keep in mind, this was 6:45 in the morning and seeing that we hadn't gotten to bed until past 1AM the night before...we were not too happy. You can also hear drawers and doors slamming shut, as well as the chatter of the maids and the banging around of their cleaning carts. If you luck out, and have quiet neighbors then you won't have a problem. But be warned if you are coming to Cabos Villas to sleep in...it may not happen here.

As for the rest of the hotel, it really was a nice experience but I wouldn't plan another stay here because of the noise. It's a shame because the staff were all pleasant and helpful, the service at the pool was consistently good, and the restaurant on the top floor had great food. Even though we were only there for 4 days, the staff recognized us and went out of their way to say hello or help out with advice or suggestions. We felt safe at all times and enjoyed walks to the marina and meals at the nearby restaurants, including The Office.

Yes, the whole time share thing is annoying, but no one forces you to do it. Our presentation took closer to 2 hours, which was irritating, especially considering how little time we had to enjoy our vacation. Tim was our time share "host" and he seemed to have an attitude once he realized we weren't interested.

Overall, I would recommend this property perhaps to someone who enjoys getting up early in the morning or isn't bothered by lots of commotion. We were on the 5th floor and almost requested a room on the top (6th) floor but were so glad we didn't because that's the floor directly below their roof top restaurant - and we heard from some other people that it was VERY loud as the staff set up the restaurant for the day, and then closed down at night.

Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone and enjoy your travels :)

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank SLOJen
Reviewed June 30, 2007

We stayed at the Cabo Villas June 9-16. This was not our first time to Cabo but we picked Cabo villas this year for the location. Unfortunately that was the only good part of the resort.

The service, from the moment we arrived, was awful. It always had the feeling that they were trying to take advantage of you or that you were botthering them (i.e. asking for pool towels was such a bother).

The layout of both pools was poor - the chairs were a dark brown and would burn you everytime you touched them and the best pool - the smaller pool had the bar above the pool and no waitstaff - not very condusive to an ideal day at the pool.

The Spa I think was under construction so there were some make shift rooms that were "transformed" into the spa. Again, not the ideal experience.

We will go to Cabo again, but not back to Cabo Villas. There are plenty of other hotels that make it a pleasant and might I say fun experience, Cabo Villas is not on that list.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank sftraveler77
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed at CVBR June 4-10 for our honeymoon. Overall impressions were okay - like the title says, not bad, but certainly not anything overly fantastic.

Check-in: We arrived around 2:45 and they told us our room was not yet ready (check-in is supposed to be at 4:00). So they escorted us to the Attitude Bar near the lobby and brought us 2 free margaritas. They gave us a welcome packet with brochures and info for various excursions & activities, and this is supposed to be where the timeshare pitch took place. However, we are both under age 28 so I guess we were ineligible to participate. At this time, we found out our room was ready and we were off.

Our room: The bell-man described our room as the "best room on the property". It was a one-bedroom executive suite (#6108) located on the top (6th) floor of the new building with oceanfront view. I read horror stories about people with balconies looking at walls, pools, other balconies... and if you walk the property, you can see these "bad" balconies. Ours was fantastic. We overlooked Medano Beach and the Sea of Cortez, and if you looked in either direction, you could see the marina and all the resorts down to the 3 Villa properties. The suite was large, and it was equipped with kitchen (full fridge, stove, microwave), living room, 1 bedroom, 2 full baths, large L-shaped terrace (with doors from both LR & BR), and jacuzzi on the terrace. Closet/storage space was a bit lacking, but otherwise the room itself was very above average!

The resort: The resort is not very large compared to some of the other properties you see nearby and in the corridor. There are 3 pools, but we mainly used the infinity pool with the swim-up bar. We were a bit perplexed as to why the infinity pool didn't "infinite" towards the ocean. It faced the side of the resort with balconies overlooking the pool. We had breakfast one day at the Sunset Grill on the roof, and it was very good. The resort is also associated with the Baja Cantina, which has a bar/grill and also provides beach service. This is where we spent most of our time. Good drinks, decent food, and very very good service. For the most part, we encountered nothing but friendly employees who were ready to help out with anything we needed.

Some negatives: Be advised that Cabo as a whole is growing and expanding like crazy. There is construction going on in many places - new resorts, new garages, new stores/malls, new roads... CVBR gets the unlucky distinction of being surrounded on 3 sides by construction. At times the noise can be a little annoying, but mostly we were upset by the amount of construction dust and dirt that seemed to settle everywhere on our balcony. We couldn't walk outside barefoot because our feet would turn black. Not a huge problem, but definitely an annoyance. Also, our housekeeping service was at best about a 6 out of 10. They would restock our towels and make the bed and keep our room tidy, but we never got the feeling that it was 100% "clean".

Overall, I have to give CVBR 3 stars. We chose it for its amazing location on Medano Beach with a <10 minute walk to the marina. The construcion nearby was a fairly big nuissance, so when we return to Cabo, I think we'll try out some other properties because they all look so beautiful. But I would definitely recommend CVBR for anyone looking for a good, large suite with a great location.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple