“Select your room carefully”

Cabo Villas Beach Resort
Ranked #40 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Portland, Or
“Select your room carefully”
Reviewed May 6, 2007

We just returned from a nice stay at the Cabo Villas. I can't say enough about the staff. Small problems with the room were fixed INSTANTLY! Time share presentation was low key and worth the two free snorkeling trips. The restaurant near the beach was very good...we ended up eating there most nights. Good food and reasonable prices (margaritas for $3.50). Best tortilla soup in Cabo, and the Mexican plate was delicious. We stayed in the executive one bedroom in the new building with a magnificent view of Lands End.

Room appointments were beautiful...a good moderately priced (for Cabo) destination......................BUT, they have started earth moving for a large development on the West side of the building. The constant beep,beep,beep of the equipment as it backs up just drove us nuts. 7:30 am to 8:00pm, plus clouds of dust blowing into the Bay, leaving a thin layer over much of the interior of the condo if you left the balcony doors open. This, in addition to the non stop American pop music blasted from the three beach bars on Mendano beach, with additional amplified voices over the PA encouraging binge drinking, put a damper on our week. If you want to stay at Mendano Beach, this is a good option once the dust settles. Make sure your room faces East toward the street, even though another building is being built there.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — construction west of villas
  • Stayed April 2007
1 Thank pjaatpdx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Long Island New York
Reviewed May 5, 2007

We just got back from our stay at Cabo Villas 4/28-5/5. Check in was a breeze. We expect the usual timeshare stuff because we already own one, so wasn't a big deal. Got the VIP card, which offers great discounts and 10% off meals at Baja Cantina, Sunset grill (rooftop) and Solomans Landing (excellent restaurant). Our room was an executive suite located right in front of the adult pool. At first I didn't really like this location, but as mentioned in another review, it was never used. We never felt a lack of privacy. We also felt sorry for the bartender there. She didn't have much to do. Beautiful room with private jacuzzi. Comfy bed and big fluffy pillows. I have no complaints at all with this place. The timeshare breakfast was only 60 minutes and what the heck it's a free breakfast. Usually the guys are pretty cool and all come from the states. As long as they know your not interested, it's usually cut and dry.

We ate from all food places and liked them all. Most favorite was filet mignon at the Sunset Grill.

I can't imagine this place getting anymore bad reviews. It is pretty much done with construction except for original building. Oh by the way, the construction that was going on outside our room will be low rise villas. When completed, it won't block the view of the sea.

• Liked — Brand new rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gertie14
Boston
Reviewed April 25, 2007

I too was concerned about heading to Cabo Villas after reading the reviews, but maybe that's better. Because when the four of us walked in, we were so impressed!

1) I love the street it's on and the surrounding streets. I really don't understand all the people that complained about the "dark alley" where the resort is located. It's an unpaved, sandy road that feels like a little foreign neighborhood.

2) The property, while small, was very well maintained. My only gripe is the random putting green. Does anyone actually use that thing? Get rid of it!

3) The pools. The pool on the upper level adjacent to the pool grill, I can't tell you about. Spent no time there. The inifinity pool one level down was fantastic. Spent every single day there. The pool was great, the swim-up bar so convenient, the service and staff equally great, and the pool stayed sunny until about 3ish. The pool gradually got shady, but the area where all the chairs were stayed sunny until at least 530ish. It must have been the time of year the people went when they said it was only sunny during the morning. I have zero complaints about the pool. Oh, wait, just one. The music. They need to update their playlists :). The last pool was great, but I only went once. Noone uses it! Crazy. I felt bad for the bartender there. I went because it was nice and quiet when I wanted to go for a good swim workout.

4) The restaurants. The pool grill, we had served to us twice and the food was good. Baja Cantina was GREAT! The fajitas for dinner and the omelettes and pancakes at breakfast were to die for. The Sunset Grill, my hubby and I didn't make it but our friends went and said it was nothing special. I'm glad we didn't miss anything.

5) The room. FANTASTIC. We were in the newest building. We were on the 6th (top) floor, with a HUGE balcony and hot tub on the balcony. If we leaned over the edge, we saw the unused pool mentioned above, and we had partial ocean view. The other part was blocked by the rest of building 2. Most of our view was of construction of the place they're building next door, which is going to be HUGE btw. The kitchen was great, the only thing it missed was towels and/or napkins/paper towels. We had to use bathroom towels to clean up and to put clean dishes once they were washed to dry. The open kitchen/dining/living area was very nice and simply decorated. Full bath and closet when you walk into the room for your guests. Our friends slept on the pull out couch, and yes, we had to get the extra mattress. I guess the actual couch part was very firm so therefore comfortable and great for your back, but the 'pullout/rollout' part had springs coming through. When we got up every morning, we just put the extra mattress along the wall and put the living room back together. The master room was HUGE and gorgeous. Thank goodness for the extra bath because the bedroom/bath was totally open. King bed with pillows that were way too big, I had to use a throw pillow to sleep on, no biggie. Nice tub that never got used, except to hang wet bathing suits over, standup shower with nice stone walls. Awesome vanity/sink area. Toilet was separate in it's own room. Big closet with 2 sliding doors with safe inside. Both the living room and master bed opened onto the massive L-shaped deck/balcony. The best part was the living room floor to ceiling glass sliding doors opened up FULLY to the deck for maximum fresh air, it was awesome! My only gripe was the water pressure in the master bath was nearly nonexistant. Oh, and the 2nd to last day of the trip, the safe ran out of battery and wouldn't open so I had to call someone up to fix it.

6) The "spa". Still not done yet, but all 4 of us got hour-long massages in their makeshift spa room. Fantastic spas, but obviously not full privacy because the rooms were blocked off by chinese screens. We didn't have a problem with it, but I can imagine picky people would. The spa will be very cool when it's complete. but back to the massages, ahhhhhhhhh, fantastic and at $38 per person, a STEAL!

7) The beach. Didn't spend much time here because I lose patience very quickly with hagglers. Even in the no-vendor-allowed area, I saw people entering with their stuff trying to sell straw bags, necklaces, braids, etc.. When I actually wanted to shop, I went down there to look on my own time, rather than being pestered all day long. Normally I'd be on the beach the whole time and I normally don't like the pool, but the pool was so nice I didn't mind one bit. The water was cool but very refreshing.

8) The sharks. Timeshare sharks, that is. The first day we arrived, Sat the 14th, we were checking out the property and walked from Baja Cantina onto the beach and got accosted by some guy, giving his shpiel. We told him we weren't interested. The rest of the week, he was just fake friendly to us, but never bothered us. When we went to the hospitality office to book stuff (jetskis and sunset cruise) and to check email, we got asked twice if we wanted the VIP card. When we declined everything, that was it. We weren't pestered at all which was nice. I was expecting worse. We were all just annoyed by the whole thing though because every day we saw the sharks guiding people to breakfast and whatnot trying to sell with their slimy salespeople ways. The worst part - when you get your "Free breakfast" and endure 75mins of listening to the "presentation", every single salesperson we saw asked the people that attended the presentation to leave a tip, which I thought was atrocious. But again, they didn't bother us personally at all so it was fine.

9) The area. Awesome location. Walked everywhere, except when we treated ourselves and went to the Corridor for dinner, where we took a cab. Oh wait, we also took a cab home from City Club but that's only because we had 2 cases of beer and a case of wine in addition to 3 cases of water and other food and there was no way we were making it back without a taxi!

10) Summary: IF I was into beachy/relaxing/do-nothing vacations, I'd go back. But the truth is, I'd rather be active on a trip, whether it's hiking a mountain or city sightseeing in Europe, so I'll likely never return.

Cabo Villas is a great place to stay. I'd be willing to answer any questions should you have any...

Stayed April 2007
9 Thank brindled
cal
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We stayed in an executive Ocean Front 2 bedroom lockoff with jacuzzi, and loved it so much we are going back in 2 weeks from now. It took a bit of time to get checked in, but enjoyed some appetizers at the bar while we waited. Our room was gorgeous and the staff was great. After reading some bad reviews, I am assuming people with bad experiences stayed in the older buildings #2 and #3. The only area of the hotel I would recommend is Blg #1, this is the newest building and the most modern. Make sure when you book you know exactly which room number you will be in and have them email you a map - which used to be on the website but no longer. The pool was nice, but seemed full of suntan oil, so I never went in it, and why, when the sea of cortez is right there! Go in it people! Its bath water! Take a parasail, its amazing ! Take a snorkel, its amazing! The security could have been a bit tighter at the beach one day, as it gets really annoying when the solicitors come over the taped off area and invade your space on the beach. I loved the outdoor bars on the beach..and near the beach. The recreational companies were excellent and friendly. It costs more to stay in the ocean front rooms, but worth every penny for the view, and I think they give you a bit better service knowing you paid a bit more. The maids did come to the room a bit early, but we just told them to come back later.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank dynamix10
Iowa
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Thought I would write a review about our great stay at Cabo Villas Resort from March 17-24 (Spring Break). My wife and three kids (20,15,13) came back after having been here last August to see how the weather was this time of year - just wonderful. In fact it was unseasonably warm which was appreciated as we all did numerous scuba dives.

The Spring Breakers were at the bars on the beach in front of the hotel but it was not a big deal. I went down a couple of times to see what the action was then went back to the magnificant pool at the hotel which was much less crowded. This time we were on the 5th floor overlooking the pool which was just wonderful. I even got up early a couple of mornings to watch the sun rise. We had previously bought a time-share with an every other year one bedroom plan and chose to upgrade it to a two bedroom. Since we had 5 people in our one bedroom we negotiated to get another one bedroom for the kids for the last three days of the stay. They said they were booked solid but did manage to get a room in the older unit on the ground level. As others have commented it has no view but the kids loved it as they got to be away from mom and dad.

We chose this time to travel from the airport by Gray Lines and they did an excellent job. We even talked the driver into stopping at a grocery store on the way to the resort so we could get groceries for the week since the rooms have stoves, fridges, toasters and blenders. This allowed us to only have to eat out once a day and kept the budget in-line.

As others have said, be sure and get your activities lined up upon arrival as they book up quickly. Claudia is an excellent hostess and will get you booked for every adventure you can imagine. This time down we rented the wave runners (again), quad runners on the Candelaria tour (awesome), sunset horse ride on the beach (ok), parasail with two of the kids (they loved it) and much shopping - all within easy walking distance.

I love vacationing in Mexico and plan on coming back in a few years but may swap for another location. With the construction of residences west of the resort priced at $750,000 - $6mm and construction of a huge resort on the east side I would think that Cabo Villas will be the place to be for the budget concience traveler.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — We had to come home.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Lost_In_Iowa
Florida or Indiana
Reviewed March 30, 2007

After reading the reviews for Cabo Villas here, Hotwire and Expedia, I was very concerned we would be in a mediocre hotel at best. I could not have been more wrong. Our stay there was exceptional in every way and we can't wait to return. The room was decorated beautifully, the bed.... oh so comfortable, the security outstanding, the service friendly and professional, but the location was the most outstanding part of all. The property is in the heart of all the action on Medano Beach, a few short blocks to the mall, downtown city center, and marina, and on top of some of the finest and most fun restaurants in all of Cabo. Dining at Edith's next to the hotels entrance was an experience I'll never forget and the hip cool fun of the Mango Deck and Billigan's Island on the beach were vacation mode 100%! The Office was expensive but worth it for the service, shrimp scampi, cold chardonay and open air tables on the beach with waves gently lapping and great live music. The pool and cabana bars were awesome and the service was perfecto. Did I tell you I just loved this place yet?!!!

The only draw back was the time share salesmen. They are a bit pesty but they do have one awesome product to sell with this property. Just say no firmly and they politely will leave you alone. We did find our maid napping in our room one afternoon (!) but she did a great job of housekeeping! After all...we were in Mexico. People here believe in afternoon siesta's and we were coming up to take ours! SOoooo; it didn't bother us one bit although she was some what embarrassed!

This is a fabulouso property, just the right size, (not massive like some of the Cabo resorts) and offers several great full service dining opportuinties. DON'T miss the view at Sunset Grill on the top of the building. You can see all of Cabo and the Pacific from here and it was great for breakfast, lunch or drinks. People watching from the Baja Cantina on the beach is so fun and the food is above average. Beautiful and clean pool areas and bars are great for pool drinks or lunch too. Staff was alwasy cleaning or painting something and the maintenance is way above Mexico standards. Guest services will gladly make any arrangements you want for day trips or activities. We visited Todos Santos via Rancheros tour company and had a fabulous guide named Melchor. There are a mulititude of spa services available on site and a health club and spa being built to be open soon. The bellmen were always courteous and around every corner just waiting to help us with anything we needed. Security is very good, especially at night and that is comforting being in the middle of all the actiojn on Medano Beach. Over all, great professional service and the best of Cabo in a comfortable oasis of peace overlooking the beach and famous Cabo rock formations, and near eveything and all the action you want. Please feel free to contact me (flaindy@aol.com) if you want further info or advice about this property. After our 3/23 to 3/30 stay, I think the previous reviews were completely inaccurate. It could not have been a more lovely expereince and we travel frequently all over the world and stay at the best places. Yes, there are fancier places in Cabo, but none can compete with this location. I highly reccommend Cabo Villas and can't wait to return. It was one awesome splendiferous week and we were very sad to leave.

• Liked — The beautiful decorated and comfortable room, but best of all the LOCATION of teh property!
  • Disliked — The timeshare part and waiting for the 2 (not enough) computers to be available for guests to use the internet.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank Flaindy
Phoenix
Reviewed March 14, 2007

I just got back from staying here for spring break the 8th to the 14th and it was better then i could have hoped for the rooms were awesome and the location is unbeatable everything is walking distance and the security at the resort is awesome, all in all i would reccommend this hotel to anybody

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends