“Trolling”

Top Anglers Sportfishing
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I'd have to say of all 3 fishing trips this was my least favorite. This was my 1st time not going out of the San Jose del Cabo marina and going out of Cabo San Lucas but I was extremely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I was out on the water and I had a good time but I wouldn't pick them again.
We had 2 couples on the boat and it was my wife's first time out. There were 4 lines out trolling and that's all fine but once we caught a dorado it took the captain about 20 seconds to stop the boat. By that time we had dragged to dorado probably 50 yards. My wife jumps in the chair and reels in a 30 pound dorado in about 3 to 5 minutes. No fight or anything from the fish. My wife looked a bit confused. She was excited and let down at the very anticlimactic catch. We took off and trolled some more and next up the girl from the other couple experiences the same thing. She has been deep sea fishing and also said she expected a little more fight. Off we go again trolling and eventually we did hook a striped marlin, a 10 foot, 130 pound beast. Again dragging the fish 40 or so yards behind the boat. The other guy jumped in the chair and started reeling it in. These guys do put on a better show for sure. It jumped up and out of the water a few times and gave us what we expected for a moment but still was brought in within 10, maybe 15 minutes. Maybe it's the season or the fish themselves but I've seen 15 -20 pound tunas put up bigger and longer fights. It was just a little disappointing.
Before we went out the owner was very nice and very professional. The crew was polite but didn't really talk much. Which is fine too. When we tipped them with some cash and about 15 pounds of marlin they pretty much acted like the expected it. And none of us kept the bill and those can have value too.
For the price of the trip I wouldn't recommend these guys again. Or at least talk to the owners and make sure your crew isn't going to drag your catch have to death before you reel it in.
Next time we go back with the kids I won't take them here.

2  Thank SenorJunior

Reviewed November 13, 2013

When we booked with Fransico from pueblo bonito he sure talked a good story. He showed us a picture of a nice big panga and told us that it had outriggers for a nice trolling spread. Not the boat waiting for us in the morning. The Gloria 1 was barely over 4 ft wide and didnt have the fighting chair he said was on the boat. Bait and switch. Our captain knew only a few words of english. We caught a nice bonito and he cut it up for bait after already buying bait for the trip. My wife had a nice dorado on and the rod snapped it two. Then had it by the boat and it broke off. After a couple of missed shots with the gaff. we did get one nice dorado. we then left that area only to stop trolling and drift bait around to no avail. Not the hunt them down and work to find fish method that is more productive. I would not go with this outfit again. I am a proffesional fishing guide and understand that it is fishing. If you are going to take people fishing, give it to them straight and work hard to find fish and stay on them.

3  Thank Chad W
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Took the marlin hunter IV out with Hector and Salvador. Trip was booked through Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. Transportation was good they meet you when u get out the taxi and you go to the dock and straighten out your balance, fishing license ect. Then you go get your bait... Was disappointed in how that worked and make sure you verify what you are paying for. Guys initially said they had no bait I said I was promised bait and paid double to have extra LIVE bait. After some debate the "happen"to find a boat with bait.

Seas were rough, boat handled them very well. Small marine toilet that my wife had a tough time using but should be expected. Only other complaint about the boat was the motor was loud and the smell of exhaust was heavy at times.

Ended up catching 7-8 dorado and saw a marlin that we could not get to bite.

If you are a avid fisherman this is not the trip for you. They would not let me set my own hook or consider my ideas. I asked if we could use some bait and time to try another type of fish and was told no. They could not give a valid excuse why either.

The captain only spoke when spoken to and didn't give us a run down on how things were going to go. You get in and they put lines out and wait for fish to bite.

The sea lion jumping on the back of the boat was the best part of the trip!

Overall it's average for a trip like this and should expect some of this. I should of contacted the company and got specifics before it was booked. Hope this gives you a better picture of what goes on, knowing there are better and worse trips.

3  Thank betterdoit
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Fished with Marlin Hunter IV last time in Cabo, and requested them again, for the great job Hector and Salvadore do. The ocean was very rough, but we still managed to catch 2 marlin and three small dorado, and a shark. We saw some more marlin, but could not get them to bite, which was what I was hearing around the marina. I highly recommend using this boat. As far as the bathroom facilities, it is a boat, so it is what it is. It isn't your throne at home, and I probably wouldn't expect my wife to use the one on this boat. That's why she stays on shore. One other thing, be prepared to be ganged up on once getting back to the dock. One guy wants $20 for a picture of your fish and another one wants to sell you the bill of your fish. And then some other hassaling. We intended to release the fish, but were unable to revive it, but I would recommend releasing the marlin because you won't have to deal with the deck crowd.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my first time to go deep sea fishing and I guess I just expected more. The boat was a 26' it was really loud, and the seats are torn and had no padding. Our lunch was...just ok. We seemed to go out pretty far didn't see a lot of other boats out there. We trolled for the entire day seemed fast but I've never been so maybe that is about right. We had live bait but only used one paid for 10. My wife went with me and lets just say the "bathroom" was smaller than a 2 gallon bucket in a hole. She banged her head a couple of times. The fishing this day was bad but i didn't notice any electronic equipment to help with finding fish. anyway not sure when I will do the deep sea fishing again but next time I will do more research.