“You have to see it to believe it !!!”

Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Lancaster, PA
“You have to see it to believe it !!!”
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Esperanza is the most exquisite hotel that my wife or I have ever stayed in. We have stayed in some very nice places including the top of the line hotel chains as well as other Relais & Chateau Inns. This place tops them all.
We were on a business outing held at the hotel for 4 days. What struck us most about the place was the sense that we were connected to the outside and the Sea of Cortez even while in our room. The room opened up onto a balcony with a view of the sea and waves crashing on the rocks below. The doors to the balconey opened all the way across the room and it created an open air feeling that you were actually outside. We slept with the doors open and could hear the waves and feel the breezes. The temperature was splendid and low humidity felt very refreshing. Connected to the porch was an infinity jacuuzi which was also accessible from the bathroom window which opened up onto the jacuzzi. We sat out in the jacuzzi at night (and during the day) and overlooked the sea with complete privacy.
The room was very large with a separate bathroom area with double sinks, a bathtub and double shower heads that allowed two to take a shower simultaneaously. There was no shower door as the shower was a large tiled area that allowed a view of the sea as well.
The bed was very comfortable.
The food was very good, with dinner one night on the beach and another on the terrace which jutted out on a rock outcropping which gave a 300 degree view overlooking the beach and Sea of Cortez. Another dinner was spent at Edith's in town of Cabo San Lucas. Edith's was a very fun festive atmosphere with above average food.
The pools at Esperanza were very nice and each had the infinity style which added to the view of the Sea.
The views of the beach, rocks, and Sea from the resort are splendid and we spent much time just enjoying the scenery. The plantings and grounds were very well maintained and it was enjoyable just to walk among the grounds. The hotel also has access to the grounds of the timeshares right next door and use of the facilites there made the experience all the more impressive with the ability to access additional pools and facilties.
Most of all what made Esperanza so appealing was the service from the staff. The staff were the sweetest, most helpful hotel staff that my wife and I have ever experienced. We found the Mexican people in general to be very sweet and accomodating. Many of them spoke very good English and were knowledgeable of the area.
Esperanza is expensive, but I think for a special occassion it is worth the cost. We were surprised at the cost of things in general in Los Cabos area. We expected that with the slow economy and Mexico in general that prices would be lower than they were.
We also stayed one night at another resort on the Pacific coast side of Cabo and will report on that soon. This other resort was very nice and actually gets higher reviews on Trip Advisor, but we found Esperanza to be far far superior in every way.
Esperanza; if you can afford it go for it. You have to see it and experience it to believe it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
sc
Reviewed April 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Esperanza for four nights at it is truely a unique experience. We book a Seaside package with a palapa spa casita, whic is a casista on the top floor. Our breakfast everyday was included, as was transportation to and from the air.

After arriving at the airport, we were wisked away to the resort in a black cadillac escalade. Once at the resort, we were greeted by our conceirge who took us to our room, and gave us a tour along the way. Our room was a oceanview palapa spa casita, which is on the top floor. The room was very spacious. We had a nice king size bed, a couch, nice bathroom, and balcony with jacuzzi. The picture on the website is exactly what it looks like. Overall, I though the room was great.

Most of our time was spent by the pools or in the spa. The spa was good. I would recommend the sun baked stone massage, which is excellent. All of the treatments are expensive. My wife and I paid 312.00 each for our massages which included all taxes and gratiuties. We had our own treatment room with outdoor area, which had a pool and sitting area. It would have been nice if they let us hang out there, instead of sending us to the common area to relax after our massages.

There are two pools at the resort. One is catered for the guests of the resort, and the other is located in front of the villas, where people who own timeshares stay. I prefered the guest pool, because no children are there, and the service is better. At the guest pool, the attendents actually bring you bottled water, and overall cater to your needs better, than they do at the other pool.

The restaurants are very nice. We had breakfast everyday at the restaurant. It was included in our package. We had the option to order anything off of the menu. The restaurant at night was cool. It sits on the edge of the ocean, with four different levels. Overall, the food was okay. The second night we ate at La Palapa, which was having a Mexican buffet that evening. I didn't care for the buffet. I would rather have had the option of ordering off of a menu, and the price of 45.00 per person was way to high for what I ate.

We did go into the town of Cabo, and look around and had dinner at Ruth Chris. I enjoyed that meal more than I did any other meal during our trip. We looked around the marina, and overall was not impressed. I played golf at Diamante Golf Club. The course was nice, but there are better options in Cabo. I would recommend Cabo del Sol, if you want to play golf.

The resort assigns every guest a conceirge, who helps you with whatever you need during your stay. I will say, Claudia, our conceirge was great. She booked our spa treatments, dinner reservations, and made sure we had taxis to go places, and arranged our transportation to and from the airport. She was a nice touch to have during our stay.

There is a computer with internet access in the club room near the villas, which we could use free of charge to e-mail back home, as well as DVD rentals, and books available to use during your stay.

I visited Cabo three years ago and stayed at Las Ventanas. I was reluctant to book anywhere else because of the great experience I had there, but I like to try new resorts and get new experiences when I travel. How will you ever know what other resorts are like if you stay at the same resort everytime. I will say Esperanza was better in ever way

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
FlyersFanInLA
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My travel agent said it best when she barked "you messed (she used a stronger word) with perfection?" when she heard that I had booked a 4 night get away at Esparanza in Cabo. The in-season price at Las Ventanas, where my wife and I had stayed nine times since 2002, was going to add over $2,400 to the overall cost of the trip so we tried someplace new.

Things started poorly in the Escalade with their 90s mix that included Technotronic "Pump Up The Jam", country hits and other non-resorty songs. When we came in the gate of the resort we heard three unique pitches for their time shares. When we asked about dinner options we were told that there was a buffet at the restaurant near the time share. We didn't want a buffet dinner when paying $700 a night plus 20+ percent tax a night for a relaxing get away. We headed down to the main outdoor restaurant where there were about 10 tables and an hour wait. The property is understaffed badly. The poor bartender was trying to make drinks, seat tables, bus tables and serve food. I felt bad for him but we also were ignored for no less than 30 minutes as we sat at a bar table behind the band and a big pole waiting for service. We didn't get it. We also packed up and left the next morning for Las Ventanas.

Esparanza is a nice property overall but not five stars by any standards. Great view. Nice amenities in the room (the two shower heads without any glass to encase the shower was odd) including better Internet than Las Ventanas but there is no comparison with the two resorts in terms of physical plant, service and food. Esparanza might be better for kids overall especially if you are interesting in a time share but this trip was a couples trip to relax, recoup and think. While Las Ventanas was much more money - it was worth it. I felt stupid for booking Esparanza in the first place but the need to try somewhere new and the urge to try to save some money was strong.

If you are looking to save some money in Cabo - I would recommend the Westin. Its not the pool vibe of Las Ventanas but its good. The club level is nice and comes with free drinks/apps which can add up during a trip. The view is nice. They have a good bed, great shower and useful Internet. Plus it can be close to half the price of Las Ventanas. If you have the money - pop for LVP. Its the best - without question.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank FlyersFanInLA
Malibu, CA
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Well, we chose this location to have our wedding solely based on the great time we had back in July 2009. There is truly a reason why this hotel is mentioned in many of the travel magazines I've read in the last 5 years. We were engaged on August 2009 and immediately booked our wedding at the Esperanza for March 30, 2010 and we are looking forward to what we believe will be a spectacular event.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Lafayette Hill, PA
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We just returned from a week's stay at Esperanza from 2/13-2/20 for my 50th birthday. We've had an extremely harsh winter in PA, and I could think of nothing more depressing than to be in the cold weather on my birthday.

My husband and I have stayed at many luxurious resorts and this one is up to par with the best of the best. When we arrived at the airport there was a private car waiting to pick us up with bottled water and cool towels. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by our own concierge, Paula, who notified us that our room was ready for us and were escorted to our casita, which was lovely. She showed us how to work everything in our room, but it was the little things that really impressed.....a cell phone/IPod charger, a pair of binoculars which we took to the pool everyday to watch the whales jumping in the water, a Keurig coffee maker (which is the kind we have at home), a generous sized balcony with our own hot tub and a gorgeous view of the ocean/pool, and the most comfortable bed EVER! We rented a car and she told us it was being delivered to the hotel in an hour. She made all of our dinner reservations for the week and had some very fine recommendations. My husband mentioned to Paula that it was my birthday and this was not forgotten! Every evening before we went out there was a knock at our door with a little gift. One night was wine and cheese, one night was chocolate covered strawberries, a chocolate cake on the evening of my birthday, etc. We were always asked if we had any food restrictions or allergies (I don't eat red meat), and they made sure they called whatever restaurant we were going to and told them. On the day of my birthday, they didn't let me pay my bar tab at the pool, and when we went to Palmilla for dinner, we were given a menu that said "Happy Birthday" with my name on it. Every day Paula would look for us at the pool and inquire about our day and if there was anything we needed. Also, everyday somebody would come over from the spa and offer complimentary foot massages. The spa was top notch, and I opted for a swedish massage in a cabana on the beach, which was heaven!

The staff was extremely friendly and anything you wanted was there for the asking. Yes, the hotel is extremely pricey, but worth every penny for this kind of service. I really couldn't have asked for any place better or have been made to feel any more special than I did that week. I would go back in a heartbeat! The staff works very hard and will bend over backwards to make you happy. It's the little unexpected things that mean so much.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2010

It started with a special request form from the concierge when I made the reservation. This added a personal touch when we arrived, and the Mimosa's and champagne were waiting for us when we entered the room. Rose petals formed the shape of a heart on the bed, and led a trail to the hot tub with floating candles. Esperanza is spectacular. Front seat ocean views from the balcony while lounging in your hammock. Restaurant sits atop the cliffs with waves crashing below. The spa is top notch. Don't be surprised if you bump elbows with a celebrity while you are there. There's no better place on earth.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Esperanza for 5 nights in mid-January, 2010. Be forewarned this hotel is expensive. I think it is worth it. We purchased a package deal that included a room upgrade, breakfast for two each morning as well as transportation to and from the airport. The driver from the hotel was waiting for us when we exited the airport. The car was comfortable and clean. We were offered cold towels and bottled water. We checked into the hotel and our "peronsal concierge" gave us a tour of the hotel and our room. The view from the lobby and the pool area is spectacular. We stayed in a palapa spa suite. Very expensive but it was a truly spectacular ocean view room. The service poolside was as good as any I have experienced including many Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton's where we have stayed. I think you should tip the pool staff for all of the fantastic service they provide. While I didn't feel pressured to do so we were generous with the poolside guys because they were so attentive. We were offered towel and chair set-up, movement of umbrellas for shade, food and drinks, bottled water, an occasional fruit smoothie and a short foot or shoulder massage while lounging at the pool. The food at the restaurants ranged from good to excellent depending on the time of day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and the location. We found breakfast at El Restaurante to be very good. We thought lunch, heavy appetizers and the limited dinner menu at La Palapa was also very good. We also spent one afternoon at the spa which is also five star in quality. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple