“The August 30th review is not right -Esperanza is wonderful”

Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Jacksonville, Florida
“The August 30th review is not right -Esperanza is wonderful”
Reviewed September 1, 2006

We just returned from Esperanza, and had to evacuate a day early, because of Hurricane John.

Before I go into anything else, let me tell you, there are no bad views, from any room at Esperanza. All of the rooms are situated for the best views of the ocean. There are only 50 rooms, so this place is peaceful, quiet, and beautiful. Yes, you can see, when entering your room, from the non-ocean side, some places being built - FYI - we heard absolutely no construction noise, what so ever.
My husband and I have traveled a lot. We only stay at 5 star properties. Our room at Esperanza was impeccable. It is truely the cleanest room I've ever seen. No scuff marks on the walls, no dust balls under the bed - nothing. And the way they've thought it out - there was nothing more I desired, but a butler, a double hammock, extra shampoo and shower gel - this stuff is pretty good.

We did not have time to take advantage of the spa. We got a tour, and our friends, who were traveling with us, loved the treatments. The Yoga session was nice, There is a great area for internet connection.

Esperaza offers Chrysler Crossfire's for rent. I now want one as a second car. But don't waste your money renting here, unless you are really touring the area, and not just traveling to the town. The taxi is the better way.

The attention to detail was wonderful. They actually have a "Details Manager" at the property, who was great. If you have any special requests, just let them know, it's amazing how much they try to accomodate. The surprise amenities such as a bottle of wine, or a fresh made, in your room, margarita, was such a grand touch. Over the top. I want all properties to pick this up! They do such a great job, here!

We love Mexico and the resorts throughout the country. We love margaritas, and, although good here, they need work. We were not fond of the sugar water they add to the margaritas - too many calories!. Also, I would add a Mexican liquor, such as Citronage, to a margarita, instead of their imported triple sec. Keep it real.

The beach, be advised, is almost scary. I don't do waves and rock well, so we stayed out. I think we saw a total of 5 people, our 5 day stay, venture into the surf. But there are pretty little shells to collect for your memory.

One more thing. I was impressed at the younger, upscale crowd. The honeymooners staying there seemed to be well traveled, heeled, so anyone reading this, don't think because it is intimate, and a little quiet, you won't have fun. We met a lot a really great people.

Our Overall experience was a 4.7. Five being the highest for us. I would not call it Nirvana, but I would not complain about the views from the entry door.

I would go back in a minute!

• Liked — Excellent service, surprise amenities to room, the cleanliest room ever
  • Disliked — the beach was rocky
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CasperBurger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed August 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past week and want to warn anyone thinking of coming to this resort ... BEWARE!!

Tthe service is appauling. We were promised a room towards the ocean, but ended up in the back of the property looking at another building and a construction site for more than $600/night. We asked to switch rooms and were passed from reservation agent to agent who didn't care that we were unhappy. The rooms are small and not cosey at all. Concrete floorsand a few Mexican knick nacks.

Second, the spa is very attractive but the services are a joke! I had a facial that was one of the worst ever! I have had facials in many fine resorts and this was by far the worst. They advertise a water passage experience before your treatment which consists of a steam room and a hot tub. Not the steam caves they talk about in their literature.

Lastly, we requested a specific table in their signature restaurant, having reserverved it wo days in advance and they gave it away to another couple. When we asked why, they said they didn't think we were going to show up. We were on time!

Price gouging is another big problem. My husband and I have always been willing to pay more for great food, accomodations, service etc but this is gouging like I have never seen it before. The spa services, food, rooms are outrageously priced, especially when you see what you get for your money.

Please think twice before going to this resort. I was sold by all of the positive reviews, but I wish I had paid more attention to the negative reviews more closely. They are right on!

• Liked — Beautiful Grounds
  • Disliked — Small
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go here!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
19 Thank pleaseread
New York City
Reviewed August 10, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Esperanza Resort for the second half of our honeymoon in June 2006 after friends of ours recommended it from having stayed there two years previously. The resort was exactly as they described. The first half of our stay was at the One & Only and we found the Esperanza to be a bit more to our liking, with the modern details within the room and younger guests.

A beautiful and serene location, which was a mixture of mountains, desert and sea. It was the idea place for us to retreat to to unwind for our honeymoon.

The staff was so so. Although they tried to be friendly, there was something missing....whether it was a greeting, or an offer for help. The concierge was quite helpful at assisting us with booking our activities (an ATV Tour and Swimming with the dolphines) that we reserved outside of the resort.
Our room was extraodinary and was probably one of the best rooms at the hotel. It was a second floor Palapa room that was steps from the sea and had a commanding view of Lands End and when the glass doors were opened all you could hear were the sounds of the waves pounding against the rocks.
If you go, wake early to see the break of dawn views, which were breathtaking.

Although our room did not have one, some of the palapa suites has a spa infinity pool on the balcony, but the cost for that room is exhorbitent and not worth the money as the infinity pool at the hotel is the only pool that you will need.

The resort offers room service that they can set up on your balcony-which is lovely-but expensive! All the resort restaurants offer very romantic setting on the cliffs, our favorite was the Palapa which has a more mexican style menu. The menus weren't over the top expensive, but offered limited items-but everything that we ordered was good.

The room amenities were fabulous- we loved the Baja lime toiletries which bathroom had an ample supply of but never take them (shampoo, shower gel, lotion, or conditioner) or you will get billed for them later to the tune of $20 a bottle- which didn't happen to us thanks to a review we read on Trip Advisor.

Anthony & Anastasia New York City

• Liked — Amazing room-flat screen TV, Huge bathroom
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank BootsNYC
NY
Reviewed August 6, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Esperanza for 8 days during the week of July 4th.
We chose Esperanza becasue of it's size and the summer special they were promoting.
We are extremely happy with our decision.
Esperanza is very pricey but worth every penny.
As you can see from the pictures that are posted, the resort is gorgeous. It is very intimate and romantic.
The service is impeccable.
I can't wait to go back.

8 Thank travelman12
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 20, 2006

I stayed at Esperanza June 26 - 30 and it was simply fantastic and worth every penny. I won't bore you with general details as you can read other reviews for that. I will say that I've had melanoma skin cancer and was concerned about being in the sun. Why did I go to Cabo...when it's 95 and sunny...because I love the beach atmosophere and as long as I'm in the shade I'm fine. That being said I called the concierge a few days before arriving and told them my concerns. She was very helpful and said they would take care of it. Upon arrival I met their "Details Manager" who said a cabana "Beach Bed" would be set up for me daily. They have four with one being used for massages. Usually, they have just the top covered and the sides open. They made a special one for me with the sides covered as well. Each day, no matter what time I came down, it was ready and waiting for me. I tipped them generously each day for being so kind and looking out for me. This is the type of 5* service that puts Esperanza over the top. Brilliant place that I highly recommend!

Stayed June 2006
7 Thank snickyla
okc, ok
Reviewed July 2, 2006

My wife and I got married on the beach at esperanza. Everything was perfect. The attention to detail was impressive. Following the ceremony, we had dinner on the beach while our waiter serenaded us. Their were also fireworks at the end. When we returned to our room, there was champange waiting along with chocolate covered strawberries. Rose petals were everywhere, along with aromatherapy candles. It could not have been any better. The remainder of our stay was just as good. The service here is the best.
I ask concierge to get me a white hanky for the breast pocket of my suit for the wedding, because I had forgotten it at home. They sent somebody to San Jose del Cabo to find one for me. I don't even think they charged me for it.
This resort is the perfect place for rest and relaxation. The pool is quiet without kids running around (although they did hang out on the beach one day). The spa was great.
The food was good. The drinks were good. Our room was on the third floor with palapa roof and hot tub on the balcony. The rooms are huge. Food and drinks are mega expensive, but on such a special occassion, I didn't care. Its was very hot, but the sea breeze made it comfortable. The view from our room was amazing. We will definately return in the future.

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank jvoto1
Kansas City, KS
Reviewed June 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Esperanza for a week in June 2006 for our honeymoon. We booked the resort through the hotel reservation line. Making arrangements was easy and clear. They even sent us a form before we left asking us for preference like robe and slipper size. We arrived at the airport and were transported to the resort via Escalade complete with chilled towels and water. Arriving at the resort and seeing it for the first time was incredible with the gorgeous landscaping and views. There was no formal ‘check in’ policy and we were shown directly to our room. The third floor palapa suite was fantastic. There was a huge balcony with built in sofa, table area and private hot tub. The doors folded completely back into the wall so there was a really open air feel to it. The bathroom had dual shower heads, stone tile and separate soaking tub. Tasteful artwork and furnishings. The bed was heavenly and was covered in rose petals. The view was directly into the ocean (as all the rooms are) and was incredible. They had a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting as specified in the package. We were disappointed to find that the information we had sent prior was disregarded and the robe size and slipper size was exactly opposite of what we specified. About 30 minutes after arriving the front desk called and asked if we would each like a 15 minute complimentary neck massage in our room. This was a great touch and was enjoyed.
The next day we spent lounging around the resort and checking everything out. This is a small resort so there is only one restaurant to eat at which also has a bar with a slightly different, lighter menu. The food is of highly quality and is very tasty but by the end of the week we were both craving something other than Mexican which is about 90% of the menu. Daily breakfast was included as part of our package but we were given a bill (around $70) each morning. We were confused and asked the waiter every morning if we needed to sign because it was included in the pkg. This became an annoying daily ritual where bills for food and services what were included were given to us and we had to wait around while it was corrected. We felt somewhat confused by the whole package arrangement. Some spa treatments were included but which ones were never covered. Breakfast was included every morning but we were billed for each one until we told them to take it off even though they ask our room number and look you up in the system before seating you. Keepsake Champagne flutes were included but we set them aside in the room and housekeeping took them away the next day. We never did receive them back. Dinner at the beach was included but they never explained that it only happened on Wednesday evening. I appreciate the hands off approach and the privacy the staff gives you but we were left feeling a little confused. In defense of Esperanza, the manager sent several complimentary deliveries up to the room completely unprompted by us. One afternoon we received chocolates and one evening a bottle of wine with a little note saying that they were happy to have us as guests. These were nice touches. We did have two problems with our stay that left me with a negative impression. One afternoon we returned to our room to find it had been cleaned but left completely unlocked. The front desk asked us to check if anything was missing and apologized but said little else. The third day of our stay I noticed that I was getting covered in bug bites. Im not sure if they were mosquito bites or something else. That morning I stopped by the front desk and asked if they could bring another suitcase stand to our room as my suitcase was sitting directly on the floor. They assured me that they would. A few minutes later, Hector of guest services tracked me down in the restaurant and assured me that they would get the stand, change the bedding, etc. Upon return to the room that afternoon, my suitcase was still on the floor. I went to the front desk and asked again if they could send the luggage stand to the room. Still no response. About an hour later a guy came to fill the mini bar. I asked him and he got one for me right away. This isn’t the type of service you expect when spending over $1000 a night. One more word about the prices. They are ridiculous. A bottle of drinking water is $10 when tax and gratuity is added on. A margarita is $16. Breakfast for two will easily run between $50- $80 and dinner for two with a bottle of wine will be about $300. They will even set off fireworks for you after a romantic dinner, a nice touch that will set you back $600 per minute (not including tax and gratuity) I've stayed at expensive places before and I dont have a problem paying $1000 per night. With that said, when I run out of drinking water in my room and call to the front desk and they send up four new bottles with a bill for $40 I feel nickel and dimed. Call me crazy.

All in all it is a great resort. My favorite part is the empty, private feel. You will never see throngs of people on the beach here even when the resort is full. The spa is excellent and the range and quality of the treatments are heavenly. It all comes with a price.

• Stayed June 2006