“This place is incredible”

Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I had an amazing time at this resort. Our room was an ocean view spa casita, the room was great because it had a huge, 4 panel sliding glass door that was a pocket door so you could open it up and have a huge view. We saw the sunrise every morning when we woke up. The infinity spa was really nice to sit and hang out and enjoy the view. Our room was on the hotel side, not the residences side. The pool on our side was amazing, not crowded, not noisy, pool service was great, food was good, not the best I've ever had but it was fresh and the service was good. Tasted some good tequilas at the pool and the ahi tuna was fresh and a nice poolside mid-afternoon snack. Very comfy pool chairs, be aware that everyone marks their territory early in the morning so the best chairs go quickly. They let you leave a magazine while you get breakfast. Breakfast was included in our reservation, it was pretty good, not the best ever but it was such a beautiful view each morning. We had lunch over on the residences side, that restaurant is amazing, overlooking the ocean from a perch above, the lobster fajitas were fantastic and so was the chile relleno w/ beef. The baja margarita was the best margarita I've ever had in my life. The dual shower heads in the bathroom were great. The service at the hotel was fantastic. Our concierge was great (Paula). She was very proactive about our activities and notified us of any changes and asked us about transportation, etc. Proactive service surprised me, that is extremely rare. One thing we highly recommend is the car service to and from the airport and the VIP airport experience. It was a little more than the taxi but they pick you up in a black escalade, give you bottled water, etc, it was a very nice experience, much better than the sketchy taxi situations that happen at airports in foreign countries. I will say that Cabo's new international terminal is incredibly nice. It was clean, organized, we felt very safe and not hassled. I wish we would have went to the traditional mexican dinner on thursday night. It looked like a lot of fun. Overall, I'd definitely stay at this hotel again, it was expensive but that's not important to us, we wanted a good experience and we got it. The views are off the chart, it's a high end boutique hotel with great service, great pool and great views from the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JVAtlanta
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear JVAtlanta,
We truly appreciate your detailed review and the time you took to share such great comments with everyone on Trip Advisor!

It sounds like Paula and our team truly exceeded your expectations on all levels during your visit here at Esperanza. Here at Esperanza we strive to surprise our guests and the proactive service you mention is exactly what we work so hard to offer.

Please do give me a ring on your next visit. We look forward to wowing you both on your next relaxing getaway to Cabo.

Warmest Regards,
Marc Rodriguez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Let's break it all down...

A + for lounge chairs. This is extremely important when you are paying 1K + a night and they nailed it. I walked over to the residence side and I couldn't believe my eyes. I would be furious to have to lay on those chairs. They do not scream high end hotel to me.

A+ for the fire pit/s'mores/bar area. This is a perfect place to end your evening or start it before dinner out on the town. They need more wait staff though at night during festive season. I waited too long some nights and I wasn't happy.

A for the grounds. The hotel pool looking out on the ocean is ideal. There is just the right amount of grass, trees, and views to make it serene. It's easy to navigate around the hotel and everything is in close proximity to one another.

B+ for the room. The pillows are a little too soft. There is hundreds of outlets on one side of the bed and none on the other. There is two shower heads which is a peek but the pressure could use a tune up. I love the double vanity and there is just the right amount of storage place for your clothes. The robes are superb and the balcony is a great place to unwind in the hammock.

B for the food. Breakfast is good but lunch and dinner do not blow my hair back. The menu isn't robust enough and the flavors are a miss. I was served over cook shrimp one night and I've yet to have a lunch here where I've been impressed.

Biggest disappointment has to be the level of service at the pool. This level of hotel I expect fresh water being passed regularly, amenities coming out on the hour, and not having to hunt the staff down to order lunch. The first few days of my trip they were fairly on the ball but the decline has been rapid.

Overall, we will return back. It's a great, calming place. The weather is perfect, the proximity to town is great, and you get what you pay for at this joint.

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank ATraveler24
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Based on other travelers opinion by trip advisor we decided to celebrate our Christmas family dinner in this restaurant. A 6 tempo dinner, with champagne was really excellent! We had, we believe one of the best tables of the restaurant located at the edge overseeing the cliff with some indirect illumination to the sea it was really fantastic. Service prompt and kind our daughter is a vegetarian and she also had a great meal. Not cheap at all but proved worth it!!!
Whenever in Cabos do visit this place you won't regret it

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank R2ro55
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Everything was perfect! From when we were picked up at the airport to our arrival at the hotel, to the tour of the property on the way to our room. Then the rooms view was amazing! The food was also great here! The adult pool was very quite and relaxing as well. its almost as if you dont want to recommend this place to keep it a secret! However, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Neil C
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This review is a long time coming. My wife and I had our honeymoon here in September several years ago. I travel 100-150 nights a year for work and we've traveled quite a bit. I have to say this is by far our favorite place we've stayed together. We're dying to go back. It's a bit pricey so we're still saving up :).

Everything is exceptional here, the resort, the staff, the food, the location, the activities, the rooms, the Spa, etc. I'm a self described Starwood junkie, staying 100+ nights a year at their properties at all levels up through the Luxury Collection and St. Regis. I still rank Esperanza as our favorite place. I just wish it was in the Luxury Collection so I could use points and come every year!

Our next trip will be with our family and we can't wait.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the place!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DanChicago_Il
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Esperanza was great from the beginning, we had an amazing trip overall but the highlight of the vacation was the one night in Esperanza, we had an amazing room with a beautiful set up and a very warm Mexican feel.
We had a romantinc dinner on the beach and it was perfectly executed, the setting and the menu was perfect for the occassion.
We had a very romantic experience in our time in your property, thank you very much

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Ronny F
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I needed a getaway to recharge and found Esperanza through the Amex Fine Hotels program. Starting with the car service pick-up at the airport through the time I was dropped off at the airport for the trip home, the staff at the Esperanza Resort delivered the best service that you can imagine. The hotel's car service was waiting with chilled water bottles and chilled towels to freshen up after the flight. At the resort, I was greeted by my concierge with a margarita and the entire check-in process was handled without any trip to a front desk. My casita was much larger than the usual hotel room. There are large glass sliders that open to the patio and an ocean view from inside the casita. Although I was in a ground floor casita, there was no chance for passers-by to look into the room due to the casita being elevated above the walkway. There was one maintenance problem due to a leak from the air conditioner that I discovered when I went to bed. The staff responded promptly and did a quick and professional job on repairing the issue. The wi-fi coverage across the resort was excellent. Cell coverage was fine outdoors, but when I did need to do a call for business in my casita, I had to use the landline.

The guys at the pool will take great care of you. They even have sunscreen at the ready. Beers were always delivered in ice buckets. The water in the pool was perfect and there was no better place from which to watch the whales spouting offshore. If you're expecting dozens of partiers in the pool and the people who scream "woo!" all day long, you're going to be disappointed. This a place to relax, soak up some sun and enjoy the water. The Lounge Bar was also very good, an interesting selection of tequilas and the house margaritas were fantastic. Not too boozy in taste, but still packed a proper punch. Cocina del Mar was great for breakfast. Dinner was also very tasty, though some may be turned off by the dim lighting. I couldn't see my salad in it's bowl. It was a bit chilly the night I was there, so it might be worth taking a sweatshirt.

The fitness center far exceeds what you'd expect in a hotel. There are three separate buildings, one is a studio, another is a weight room and the third is for cardio. The spa is world class, clear your plans and take the opportunity to make full use of the facility. The massage that I had there was amazing.

As with many resorts in Cabo, the beach is not swimmable. You'll see sharp rock formations in the water just feet past the tide line. That doesn't mean you should not walk out on to the beach or trek out on the rocks that poke above the water line. Be prepared to get wet if you do and don't turn your back on the surf. Some of the waves come in strong.

Esperanza defines the five-star experience and I would absolutely recommend the resort for visits to Cabo.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo