“Beautiful Property, some room for improvement”

Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Property, some room for improvement”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

It's hard to find fault with Esperanza when I think of all the places I've stayed that couldn't hold a candle to it on the beauty of the property, luxury of the rooms, well-intentioned service, etc. But then I realize it's like feeling bad for an Olympic gymnast who completes nearly the whole routine perfectly but misses just one or two technical things. When you're competing at that level, everything has to be perfect and Esperanza seems to be in one of the most competitive luxury resort markets I've ever seen. So let me be clear that the issues we had were very minor when you view them in a vacuum, but seemed more significant when we moved on to another Los Cabos resort that simply nailed everything.

First, the positives: the room was beautiful, the bathroom in particular was luxurious and perfect for a couple with two showers side by side, and the plunge pool on the terrace was always the perfect temperature because we could adjust it ourselves. I also appreciated that the layout of the terrace gave us a fair amount of privacy. If you just stayed in the room here, soaking in the plunge pool and did nothing else, you'd have a pretty great time. Also, the main infinity pool is gorgeous and offers a relaxing location for whale-watching and just enjoying the surf right below. And the spa was excellent - expensive, but excellent.

Also, do check out the hotel's art gallery featuring the work of some local artists and sculptors. We bought several small pieces and I still regret not purchasing one of the larger paintings I liked - the man working there was warm, helpful and very knowledgeable about all the pieces they were showing.

Here are the nitpicks:

(1) the people who either own outright or have timeshares at the adjacent villas were ubiquitous in the evenings. The resort has a restriction on kids but that doesn't apply to the villa crowd, so finding ourselves surrounded by throngs of rather loud children and teenagers at breakfast and in the evening was a turnoff. To be fair, it was spring break, but this crowd had a tendency to take over the facilities and since they all knew each other, it was easy to feel like I'd wandered into a country club where I didn't belong and wouldn't want to belong. I'm sure time share villas at 5 star resorts seem like a wonderful thing to some people, but for the guest who likes to travel to 5 star resorts in many different places, it can take away from the feeling of exclusivity at the resort. To the hotel's credit, they were immediately responsive to our one complaint about particularly loud and obnoxious guests in a nearby room.

(2) The food at Esperanza was fine. Just not spectacular overall. Breakfast was average, lunch was pretty good, and dinner had some definite highpoints (especially the delicious souffles and a quinoa dish that was so good I ordered it three times and asked for the recipe, which the hotel promised to email me but never did). When we went on to the next resort, we immediately noticed the uptick in quality and taste in the food served during the daytime at breakfast and lunch.

(3) Speaking of food... we had booked this trip through my credit card company's program for exclusive hotels and that program includes complimentary continental breakfast. I've noticed over the years that different hotels interpret this complimentary meal very differently (for some, you can expect to pay for anything beyond the traditional croissants and coffee, while others simply treat it as a complimentary breakfast regardless of what's ordered). In Esperanza's case, breakfast is served at the main restaurant - there is no buffet, everything is ordered off the menu. So I could go down to the main restaurant and order eggs benedict, toast, coffee, etc. and it was complimentary under the program. But if I ordered that exact same breakfast for room service and paid the $15 room service charge with tip? Now breakfast is no longer complimentary and I have to pay for the whole meal. I raised this issue with our personal concierge at checkout and she explained it was policy that only breakfasts in the restaurant were complimentary. I told her I didn't want to make a big deal out of it but couldn't understand how they could distinguish between cooked-to-order at the restaurant and cooked-to-order plus service charge in the room. She offered to get her manager but the last thing I wanted to do was make a scene about one breakfast at checkout. That said, they shouldn't have charged me for the room service breakfast in the first place and when I brought it to her attention, she should have been empowered by the hotel to deal with the issue without having to bring a manager in. That incident is a great example of the razor's edge that a luxury hotel has to dance on that determines whether it's a great resort or an absolutely superb one. And in my case, it will ultimately make the difference in choosing to stay at a different resort if and when I go back to Los Cabos.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Konafire
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Konafire,

Thank you for your thorough review and candid feedback regarding your spring break getaway to Esperanza! It sounds like overall you enjoyed our beautiful property and rooms as well as our hotel pool.

It’s important for myself and the Esperanza team to hear about improvement opportunities and your review was very helpful. At Esperanza we are continually seeking opportunities to raise the bar with our service levels through ongoing training and guest feedback.

We truly appreciate your comments regarding the spring break crowd at the Residence Club. I regret you had to undergo noise issues but I was glad to hear that our staff followed up immediately. Also, our Food & Beverage team have taken steps to improve the food issues. We would love to send you the recipes as well if you could please send us your contact info. I understand your frustration regarding the room service charge and apologize for the misunderstanding.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. Please keep us in mind when planning your next vacation, we’d love the opportunity to show you even more of what makes our hotel so special.

Yours Sincerely,
Marc Rodriguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wow. That's all that I can keep saying after having stayed at Esperanza for 5 nights. My husband and I booked this as our one year anniversary trip and took advantage of their Seaside Retreat special. Within a few days of booking, we received a phone call from Chanel to confirm all of the details and to ask us to fill out their pre-arrival form (robe size, slipper size, reservation & special requests, etc.). She was not shy about saying that if we needed anything to please reach out. Fast forward to a few days before our trip and we received another email from our personal concierge Laura Olivares confirming all of our reservations and making sure we had everything we needed. Being that this was our first time to Cabo, we opted to use Esperanza transportation. We had heard about the time share tunnel but quickly walked through that hall to find an Esperanza representative that had us in the SUV within a minute. In the truck were snacks, a daily paper with US news, water and refreshing towels. We knew we were in for something special if those were the amenities for the ride to the hotel. As soon as we pulled up, our luggage was taken and we were greeted with the Green Cabo (my new favorite drink). Laura greeted us and took us on a tour of the property. When we finally got to our room, we were absolutely blown away. We were in casita 60 that had a perfect view of El Arco. The room left little to be desired, from the dual shower with opening to the infinity edge hot tub to the couch on the deck, it had everything. Everyone at the resort was so kind and treated guests with care. The staff at the pool greeted us by name by our second day there (they give you delicious treats, my favorite were the coffee popsicles) and help you with anything you need. The spa was amazing as well. We opted for a couples massage on the beach - best decision ever. Dining at the resort was easy and breakfast was hearty. We often ate a few plates and the fresh squeezed juices were out of this world (first time I've experience fresh watermelon juice). I've never had service like we received here, including my honeymoon which was nearly twice the price. The resort is beautiful, staff incredible and experience once in a lifetime. We cannot wait to come back. I also have to commend Marc Rodriguez for his impeccable service. He and I exchanged a few emails and he himself took the time to help sort out a minor discrepancy in our final bill (very quickly resolved). He is the GM of the property but takes the time to make sure every guest is taken care of from start to finish. I was impressed over and over with Esperanza and cannot imagine it gets better than what I experienced. First class all the way is an understatement.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjm2012
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Mjm2012,

Happy first anniversary to you and your husband! Esperanza is definitely the perfect place to enjoy a romantic getaway. It sounds like your entire stay was “simply the best” from start to finish, as you mentioned.

Thanks for your great compliments and we hope you’ll make Esperanza your anniversary tradition year after year.

Corsicana, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here and absolutely LOVED it. Our room was beautiful. The view from our balcony was breathtaking, and we enjoyed our very own infinity pool. Breakfast daily was great. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner overlooking the ocean. The resort pool is Amazing. We had great bar service at the pool, and we enjoyed delicious shrimp nachos and guacamole.The Spa is awesome. When we wanted to go into Cabo, we never had to wait. The resort immediately brought a car to take us into town. We will be back!!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear RockieG71,

We enjoyed reading your wonderful review! Glad you had a great time at your “paradise home” at Esperanza.

June is definitely a lovely month to visit Cabo and I’m delighted that you were able to spend time at our hotel pool and spa. I agree our signature guacamole and nachos are to die for.

We trust you and your husband will return again soon!

Warm Regards,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I want to tell you how much we enjoyed our stay at Esparanza and how great the staff are at providing an amazing experience. Paco Flores was our concierge and he was so good about taking care of our needs and was above and beyond with his responsiveness. He did such a great job making sure our unit was stocked with groceries and booking dinner reservations. During our last night he made a reservation for us on the beach for your romantic dinner at the last minute.

The setup for the dinner was amazing and unfortunately my girlfriend was not feeling well so we had to retire to our room after about 20 minutes of sitting down at the beach. Our waiter, Lupe served our dinner in our room and did everything that he could to make sure that we still had a great experience.

I have been coming to Cabo for over 25 years and have stayed at every 5 star property there. I have always had great stays at this property and without a doubt put it at the top of my list.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Awb7bar,

We’re delighted that you and your girlfriend enjoyed a wonderful stay at Esperanza! It sounds like Paco and our entire team exceeded your expectations.

I agree that our signature romantic dinners are amazing. We were sorry that your girlfriend was not feeling well, but glad that Lupe ensured that you had a great experience.

Once again, thank you for sharing your wonderful review. Coming from such a well-seasoned traveller, it’s an honor to be at the top of your list.

New York
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place is first class.
It's one of the most beautiful spots I've ever been too.
The staff makes you never want to leave the property.
The property itself is perfect. It's divided into 2 parts, residential part and hotel part, and you can use all the amenities of one or another part.
The hotel has around 5 pools of different size. Most of them with nice views.
The breakfast was a la carte, but you can choose anything from the menu.
Hotel dining experience was pricey, but very tasty. Mexican night for 70usd, fish night for 45 usd, barbeque for 55 (not including service and tax). But the food variety was very good.
Our room was spacious, had a great view and the beds were very comfy.
There were cooking classes, fitness lessons and receptions.
We enjoyed the hotel very much and will definitely come back one day. It was worth coming all the way from Russia.
Don't forget to try the Green Cabo Margarita.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Shpaki,

Thank you for your kind words! Your recent July getaway sounds truly splendid.

I agree that our property offers lots of fun activities such as our popular fitness program as well as Chef’s personalized cooking classes. Many do prefer to stay at Esperanza their entire stay, never needing to leave at all!

We cannot wait for your next family visit, so we can show you even more of our signature hospitality. Greetings to all in Russia!

las vegas
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Absolutely beautiful! Upon entry to the property you are immersed into a tropical type setting. The winding road is filled with flowering plants and trees. You are greeted upon arrival and assigned a concierge. The views at check-in are breathtaking. We stayed in a beautiful room complete with personal hot tub on the balcony. The large rooms are airy with doors that slide open onto balcony and the bathroom was complete with his and her sinks, two shower heads and a large tub with candles. The view from the balcony was perfection. The resort rooms are up hill from the pools and ocean so I would say all the rooms have a fantastic view. The sprawling lawn which is in the center of all the rooms is beautifully manicured. The service was wonderful. The staff consistently provided friendly, courteous and professional service. Everyone seemed happy to be at work. The food was very good and the shrimp ceviche poolside was generous in portion and fabulous. The resort has the most fabulous spa. Go early or stay a bit after to enjoy the ladie's/men's only steam room, hot tubs, or just to relax with a refreshing beverage. Check out the gym and classes offered. The main pool, actually an infinity pool which flows to a smaller second infinity pool is for adults 18 & over only. There is a family pool, although we did not visit it. The beach is steps down from the pools so you can hear the ocean which is peaceful and relaxing. While not for swimming, there is service on the beach and you can wade in and enjoy the stunning views. We had room service for breakfast only and it was very good, but the selection was average. Do try the yogurt with granola and fruit..delicious. Restaurant views were outstanding. Overall, if you can go...you should. Don't need to leave if you want R&R in a tranquil elegant setting. I would say that we do have older teen sons that we would take for a long weekend. I think longer than that they would get a bit bored. There are quite a few great activities close by though if you want a bit more adventure.

Room Tip: The higher the better. I think there are some units that go 3 stories high and some 4.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank horsesandtravel
Dear Horsesandtravel,

What a delightful review to read! Thank you so much for sharing such lovely comments. Our staff do indeed love what they do and this in turn allows us to provide a friendly, professional service at all times.

It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your ocean view resort room as well as our relaxing spa experience and poolside shrimp ceviche! We hope you’ll be coming back for more soon.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us when you’re ready for another luxurious and tranquil getaway to Esperanza.

Medford, Oregon
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had planned a lowkey trip in central Oregon for our anniversary, but when the weather was looking to be cool and rainy we made a last minute change and decided to head to the Esperanza in Mexico. We decided on Friday and left on Sunday! Esperanza is a 5* resort and I will admit, quite expensive (though going in the off season helps). But, just a few minutes after I clicked "reserve" their amazing service began when my cell phone rang. It was a call from an Esperanza Rep calling to confirm our reservation, find out if we were celebrating anything special, get our sizes for bathrobes and spa sandals, and to help us with anything else we may need when we arrived. This impeccable service carried on throughout our entire stay.

We stayed in one of their top floor rooms with the palapa roofs, which provide an even more open and airy space then the two floors below. The views are spectacular from all of the rooms. Second and third floor rooms have outdoor hot tubs and the first floor has a hammock. There are also large balconies with table and chairs and a built in bench with comfy pillows. The rooms are quite large with king beds, a divan, round table and chairs, big flat screen tv, large closet with a TON of hangers, a toilet closet, two sinks, double showers and bathtub. The decor is beautiful and serene.

When you arrive there is no waiting in line to check in. Our personal concierge, Fernando, greeted us upon a arrival and took us directly to our room. A few minutes later we were welcomed with chips, salsa, guacamole, colorful macaroons, margaritas and a bottle of champagne and welcome note. Fernando was always there to help us with whatever we needed - spa reservations, restaurant recommendations/reservations, etc.

We had dinner that first night in the open air bar where, once again we had exemplary service and a delicious meal, where we started off with a ceviche tasting. The bar sits right on the edge with breathtaking views.

Breakfast was included for us and we could order anything off the menu we liked. The only thing we had to pay extra for were espresso drinks.

Hubby had a deep tissue massage at the spa which he said was fabulous and really enjoyed the private outdoor showers attached to each spa room.

By our second day there everyone knew us by name and greeted us warmly. The pool/beach area is beautiful with an infinity edge pool and nice beautiful bathrooms nearby. The service around the pool was excellent (the ahi tuna tostadas delicious) and big padded chairs with towels big enough to cover the entire chair and a comfy neckroll. They would come by with complimentary water, popsicles, mini smoothies, back or feet massages during the day.

Everything was absolutely perfect about our stay. We loved the laid back, casual feeling of the place without any compromise on service. We wouldn’t change a thing and are so happy we acted on the spur of the moment to change our plans. Thinking we may have to make this an anniversary tradition….

Room Tip: It is a splurge, but the top floor palapa roof rooms are worth it!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank familyof4travels
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Familyof4travels,

Thank you so much for sharing such great things about your amazing romantic getaway at Esperanza!
It sounds like you and your husband had a wonderful anniversary visit from check in to check out and enjoyed impeccable service throughout your stay.

We trust Esperanza will indeed be your new anniversary tradition and look forward to hosting you again soon!