“I enjoy it every time i am here.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ridge at Playa Grande

The Ridge at Playa Grande
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Long Beach, California
“I enjoy it every time i am here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The rooms have a wonderful view. The pools are incredible and more private than the ones for the rooms below.
I will never forget Fernando the waiter from the Ridge he was incredible. I have never seen a waiter sprinting to the bar and back with drinks. He really kept us happy and made us feel like family. If you stay at Playa grande make sure you stay up on the Ridge. And make sure Fernando is your waiter!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Flora C, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Traveling Brett, Thank you for your lovely review and for sharing such great things about the staff and service, I will share with them your comments.
We are glad to know that you had a great time with us

We all send you our warm regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I expected more from this Resort! It started when we checked in, the bell man and concierge were fighting over us, so concierge won and bags were mis placed. She was horrible and robotic, inviting us to a breakfast for discounted activities and a timeshare pitch. When we finally found our room and our bags, our room was dirty, forgotten by housekeeper. We were told we would have to wait 1 hour or be downgraded to the hotel side. We decided to wait at the pool and have lunch. We sat 15 minutes before any wait staff acknowledged us, then he acted as if we were a bother to him. Anytime we asked for anything he gave us a look, and took his sweet time. We are facing the Marina, which is a nice view if you keep your door closed. There is loud, constant construction on our roof which we were not informed about, so forget afternoon naps for the kids. The adults pools are not adult only, babies with soggy diapers in the pools and Jacuzzis are extremely disappointing, when you go there to relax and get away
from kids. I asked the waiter if he could ask the family to bring baby to to family pool, he said ! ? It's only 1 baby?! Irritating
We have 3 more days
and hope for an improvement, but we are not expecting much.......

1 Thank Julie G
Dear Julie G, I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations on this visit. I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future.
We hope you give us an opportunity to serve you in a future.

Cordially
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

we stayed here in june 2012...the food was great and the views were awesome...the room was very nice,,, the staff were awesome in every way.. the pool and bar up on the ridge was great and the view was amazing...we are staying there again in june 2013

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Purple_hazze_racing

We would like to thank you for your beautiful comments about your stay at our resort. From the food being great and our views awesome, we are deeply satisfied with your comments.

We will be delighted to welcome you back on the near future.

Sincerely yours,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel is amazing. Not only the view and the accommodations but the hospitality there.
Luis Fernando at The Ridge was outstanding. He was so pleasant and accommodating to everything we needed. He should get a raise because the whole stay there, he was so hospitable and there was nothing he wouldn't do for us.
It was 6 of us, so I'm sure servicing that many people can get hectic, but he always had a smile on his face.
We are going back in June 2014, and I can't wait to see him again.
The hotel, AMAZING!!! There's games for the kiddos and so many different theme dinners every night. You will never get bored!!!!
By the way the Micheal Jackson show on 4th of July was awesome!!!!! Love this place

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Rere909

On behalf of all our staff members, especially Luis Fernando, we want to thank you for your kind words regarding your most recent experience staying with us. He really brings always a big smile to his job, and is a great example of the type of service we want to be known and recognize.

I am glad you enjoy our views and restaurants, the games and activities. A little trivia: Our staff member from activities Hector, did the Michael Jackson impersonation. And he was excellent indeed. I am glad you like it also.

We will love to welcome you back next year.

Yours Sincerely,
Poway, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Ridge.
There is so much to write that I will try to break it into pro's and cons ( and informative bits too).

Pro's:
-The resort is gorgeous, and well maintained. Spacious rooms
-Every single staff member (but one) was bend-over-backwards friendly - especially to the children. A special recognition to Mauricio at the Bell Desk, Raul at the Concierge, and Zaira at the Brig
-The food at the Brigantine, Mexican Fiesta and Room service were all tasty
-The Mexican Fiesta that the Hotel puts on is wonderful - right on the beach (without actually being in the sand. Entertaining for adults and children. Riotous MC.
-Great pool at Ridge with slide
-The kid's club - my 5 year old daughter only used it for an hour but enjoyed it. Here is some info that I would have liked to have known about it (or been able to find on the website) it is $50 a day or you can do it hourly it includes lunch. The club for Playa grande is the same as for the Ridge. They have schedules that you can pick up to know what is happening on any given day and hour. They have 2 nights that the kids can get rid of their parents (don't quote me but I THINK it is tues and friday nights from 6-9?) There is babysitting in the room although we didn't use it. There is a surcharge after 10pm
-We were not pushed to do a timeshare presentation

Cons:
-The view in 3048 is of a guard tower. No big deal, we could see the Marina around it.
-We were DIRECTLY across from a bus stop / turnaround. This could be very annoying for a light sleeper.
-LOTS of noise from the Marina at night - luckily we are all good sleepers and I wear earplugs
-Constant sound of water/pipes through our room
-***Here is what lost it the 5th star - With 3 nights left on our stay, we went back to the room to give our children a nap. Above us was a pounding so loud that it sounded like someone was using a pickax inside our room. After twenty minutes of this I could see neither one of our children were going to get sleep (which is a scary prospect with a 2 year old) so I called down and spoke with the front desk. The gentleman assured me it would stop. 30 minutes later nothing had happened. My husband got dressed and walked (no small feat) down to the reception. It took 30 more minutes to finally stop the construction. That was Saturday. Sunday was not a problem - I'll assume they got the day off. Monday it was back. Bam, bam, bam - hammer on stone. Not only that but constant dragging of heavy wooden furniture over the tile floor. So I went down this time - with my nice smiley face and spoke with Gerardo at the front desk. He called up to the general manager and said he would have it stopped. I asked him why they would rent out a unit directly under one they had scheduled heavy construction upon. He looked a me as though I had lost my mind and told me they were VERY busy and could not just leave the units unrented during the construction. Oh, I see, it's much more important for you to make money than it is for your guests to have a pleasant stay....
So I get back to the room and 30 minutes later nothing has happened. My husband goes down again and asks to speak to the manager - Ana Laura. Now, I was not there, so obviously not privy to the details of the conversation, but I do know that since it was our last night (not desirable to move rooms - nor do I know if they offered) he did ask for some sort of discount. He was given her 'humblest apologies' a smile and a 'NO". The banging lasted another hour.

Room Tip: Away from Marina
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank chkeeta
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Chkeeta

Thank you so much for your nice remarks about your most recent stay. I am very satisfied to read that you like our resort, the service of our staff (especially Mauricio; Raul and Zaira), the maintenance of the property, the food at our restaurant, theme nights and room service, the pools, the kids club option with our dear Viri, and all what you love about it.

A lot of people really like the view of the marina side, in contrats to the ocean view, however, we completely understand your comments. At the moment you close your window there is really no noise from outside. I am deeply sorry for the situation you experience with the noise above your suite and the answer you receive. The work we did those days is to prevent for the rain season.Still there are no excuses and i am sorry that we did not stop the noise at the moment you first requested. Sleep is very important, especially for the kids. And in vacations, is a must do after all you enjoyed during the day.

We will be honor to visit you again, and surprise you with an even better experience at our resort.
I will share your comments with the staff in our next meeting.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Huge place, very spread out. With 86 yr old Grandma with us we had a 2 BR/3 Bath suite (with pull out bed in LR) on the top of the Ridge. Very nice room, but 10 minutes and 3 elevators to get to lobby and 15 minutes at least to get to the beach (no swimming). Also, scores of screaming kids and beer guzzling guests were overcrowding an otherwise lovely infinity pool outside of our room. Chairs would fill by 10 am. The floating empty beer cans in the pool in the early evening tell all you need to know. Lunch was OK on site, but dinners must be eaten in town (many great options). We tried to spend as much time as possible off grounds as we are not the "2 six packs at the pool before lunch" kind of people. At over $500/night we expected more. You could not pay us to come back. Seriously: IF THEY OFFERED A FREE WEEK WE WOULD TURN IT DOWN.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TMB1999
Dear TMB1999, Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why we didn’t meet your expectations. We have every desire to address your feedback and provide the best solution available to handle things differently.

I wanted to offer my apologies for your experience with us. i have discussed your concerns with the appropiate employees, and I can assure you that these issues won´t occur again.

Sincerely yours
Monterey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am writing this on the last day of my stay here at The Ridge while everything is fresh. It has been an absolutely lovely stay here. The staff is extremely helpful, the resort is beautiful, the location right across from the marina. You can also walk down the beach and climb over some rocks to get to Land's End and see the Arch. I'm shorting them one star only because it takes me 15-20 minutes to get into the downtown area by foot, or $10 by taxi, and they have timeshare people harassing me every morning I walk off the property. I'm not going to another presentation, I'm going for a walk - leave me alone!
I stayed in a one bedroom unit that sleeps 5. There is a king size bed in the bedroom, a murphy bed in the living room and a rollaway bed in the cabinet next to the TV. There are 2 balconies, a small one off the bedroom, and a large deck area off the living room that you can also enter from the bedroom.
The check-in process is quick. I came in on Sunday and it took me 10 minutes to get through the line. The concierge service is very effective. Adrian helped me book all my activities and even rebooked some of them due to bad weather. I managed to show up in Cabo the week they shut down the harbor for a couple of days because hurricane Cosme kicked up the waves. Since water activities were suspended, I lounged by the pool. The pool is awesome, it was a bit crowded, but the adult only area was relaxing. They offer drink/food service up there so it was nice having a bit to eat while laying out and getting some sun. Reasonable prices and they have happy hour there too.
So some random facts you should know if you stay here: internet for the week is $45. If you own with the Solmar group, it's free. The wifi works throughout the property, but there are a lot of dead spots. The one dead spot that irritated me was the bedroom. I spent a lot of time on the murphy bed since wifi was strong in the living area. There is an 11% IVA tax on everything and anything in Cabo. The resort is cashless so everything goes onto your room charge. You can stop at the front desk and ask for a folio and they're more than happy to print you one. When it comes time to pay, if you pay in US dollars, they'll ask for your passport. Pesos and credit card, you're fine. There are laundry facilities - all but one dryer was working while I was there. It cost $3 a load so $6 if you plan on using the washer and drier. They might frown upon hanging stuff all over the balconies. You need to supply your own stuff - I always take a carry size portion of detergent with me so I was fine. Otherwise, there's an OXXO across the street that you could buy detergent from. I did my laundry on Thursday evening and the place had one other guest in there. Hours are from 7am-9pm but the staff let me finish the drying cycle - it was almost 10 by the time I was done. There is a spa on site. Prices are resort prices. They have a gym and I saw there was a sign that they charge you for using it unless you're a member. Lucky for me, I don't believe in working out while on vacation.
The Ridge was very nice. I would recommend you try to book here if you get a chance. Great view of the marina, awesome helpful staff. It was a great vacation!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank crzydvl
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear crzydvl

On behalf of all our staff, i woould like to thank you for your kind and beautiful comments about your recent stay with us. I know that you are still enjoying the nice weather in Cabo, but i am also delighted to read that you enjoy all our facilities and services. From the one bedroom you got, the location, the quick check in process, the effective concierge service, pools

Thank you for your recommendatios and remarks about our resort.

We will love to welcome you back in the next future to keep enjoying paradise