“Mostly good, some not...”

and 1 more site!
The Ridge at Playa Grande
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Ridge.
There is so much to write that I will try to break it into pro's and cons ( and informative bits too).

Pro's:
-The resort is gorgeous, and well maintained. Spacious rooms
-Every single staff member (but one) was bend-over-backwards friendly - especially to the children. A special recognition to Mauricio at the Bell Desk, Raul at the Concierge, and Zaira at the Brig
-The food at the Brigantine, Mexican Fiesta and Room service were all tasty
-The Mexican Fiesta that the Hotel puts on is wonderful - right on the beach (without actually being in the sand. Entertaining for adults and children. Riotous MC.
-Great pool at Ridge with slide
-The kid's club - my 5 year old daughter only used it for an hour but enjoyed it. Here is some info that I would have liked to have known about it (or been able to find on the website) it is $50 a day or you can do it hourly it includes lunch. The club for Playa grande is the same as for the Ridge. They have schedules that you can pick up to know what is happening on any given day and hour. They have 2 nights that the kids can get rid of their parents (don't quote me but I THINK it is tues and friday nights from 6-9?) There is babysitting in the room although we didn't use it. There is a surcharge after 10pm
-We were not pushed to do a timeshare presentation

Cons:
-The view in 3048 is of a guard tower. No big deal, we could see the Marina around it.
-We were DIRECTLY across from a bus stop / turnaround. This could be very annoying for a light sleeper.
-LOTS of noise from the Marina at night - luckily we are all good sleepers and I wear earplugs
-Constant sound of water/pipes through our room
-***Here is what lost it the 5th star - With 3 nights left on our stay, we went back to the room to give our children a nap. Above us was a pounding so loud that it sounded like someone was using a pickax inside our room. After twenty minutes of this I could see neither one of our children were going to get sleep (which is a scary prospect with a 2 year old) so I called down and spoke with the front desk. The gentleman assured me it would stop. 30 minutes later nothing had happened. My husband got dressed and walked (no small feat) down to the reception. It took 30 more minutes to finally stop the construction. That was Saturday. Sunday was not a problem - I'll assume they got the day off. Monday it was back. Bam, bam, bam - hammer on stone. Not only that but constant dragging of heavy wooden furniture over the tile floor. So I went down this time - with my nice smiley face and spoke with Gerardo at the front desk. He called up to the general manager and said he would have it stopped. I asked him why they would rent out a unit directly under one they had scheduled heavy construction upon. He looked a me as though I had lost my mind and told me they were VERY busy and could not just leave the units unrented during the construction. Oh, I see, it's much more important for you to make money than it is for your guests to have a pleasant stay....
So I get back to the room and 30 minutes later nothing has happened. My husband goes down again and asks to speak to the manager - Ana Laura. Now, I was not there, so obviously not privy to the details of the conversation, but I do know that since it was our last night (not desirable to move rooms - nor do I know if they offered) he did ask for some sort of discount. He was given her 'humblest apologies' a smile and a 'NO". The banging lasted another hour.

Room Tip: Away from Marina
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank chkeeta
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Chkeeta

Thank you so much for your nice remarks about your most recent stay. I am very satisfied to read that you like our resort, the service of our staff (especially Mauricio; Raul and Zaira), the maintenance of the property, the food at our restaurant, theme nights and room service, the pools, the kids club option with our dear Viri, and all what you love about it.

A lot of people really like the view of the marina side, in contrats to the ocean view, however, we completely understand your comments. At the moment you close your window there is really no noise from outside. I am deeply sorry for the situation you experience with the noise above your suite and the answer you receive. The work we did those days is to prevent for the rain season.Still there are no excuses and i am sorry that we did not stop the noise at the moment you first requested. Sleep is very important, especially for the kids. And in vacations, is a must do after all you enjoyed during the day.

We will be honor to visit you again, and surprise you with an even better experience at our resort.
I will share your comments with the staff in our next meeting.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Huge place, very spread out. With 86 yr old Grandma with us we had a 2 BR/3 Bath suite (with pull out bed in LR) on the top of the Ridge. Very nice room, but 10 minutes and 3 elevators to get to lobby and 15 minutes at least to get to the beach (no swimming). Also, scores of screaming kids and beer guzzling guests were overcrowding an otherwise lovely infinity pool outside of our room. Chairs would fill by 10 am. The floating empty beer cans in the pool in the early evening tell all you need to know. Lunch was OK on site, but dinners must be eaten in town (many great options). We tried to spend as much time as possible off grounds as we are not the "2 six packs at the pool before lunch" kind of people. At over $500/night we expected more. You could not pay us to come back. Seriously: IF THEY OFFERED A FREE WEEK WE WOULD TURN IT DOWN.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank TMB1999
Flora C, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear TMB1999, Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why we didn’t meet your expectations. We have every desire to address your feedback and provide the best solution available to handle things differently.

I wanted to offer my apologies for your experience with us. i have discussed your concerns with the appropiate employees, and I can assure you that these issues won´t occur again.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am writing this on the last day of my stay here at The Ridge while everything is fresh. It has been an absolutely lovely stay here. The staff is extremely helpful, the resort is beautiful, the location right across from the marina. You can also walk down the beach and climb over some rocks to get to Land's End and see the Arch. I'm shorting them one star only because it takes me 15-20 minutes to get into the downtown area by foot, or $10 by taxi, and they have timeshare people harassing me every morning I walk off the property. I'm not going to another presentation, I'm going for a walk - leave me alone!
I stayed in a one bedroom unit that sleeps 5. There is a king size bed in the bedroom, a murphy bed in the living room and a rollaway bed in the cabinet next to the TV. There are 2 balconies, a small one off the bedroom, and a large deck area off the living room that you can also enter from the bedroom.
The check-in process is quick. I came in on Sunday and it took me 10 minutes to get through the line. The concierge service is very effective. Adrian helped me book all my activities and even rebooked some of them due to bad weather. I managed to show up in Cabo the week they shut down the harbor for a couple of days because hurricane Cosme kicked up the waves. Since water activities were suspended, I lounged by the pool. The pool is awesome, it was a bit crowded, but the adult only area was relaxing. They offer drink/food service up there so it was nice having a bit to eat while laying out and getting some sun. Reasonable prices and they have happy hour there too.
So some random facts you should know if you stay here: internet for the week is $45. If you own with the Solmar group, it's free. The wifi works throughout the property, but there are a lot of dead spots. The one dead spot that irritated me was the bedroom. I spent a lot of time on the murphy bed since wifi was strong in the living area. There is an 11% IVA tax on everything and anything in Cabo. The resort is cashless so everything goes onto your room charge. You can stop at the front desk and ask for a folio and they're more than happy to print you one. When it comes time to pay, if you pay in US dollars, they'll ask for your passport. Pesos and credit card, you're fine. There are laundry facilities - all but one dryer was working while I was there. It cost $3 a load so $6 if you plan on using the washer and drier. They might frown upon hanging stuff all over the balconies. You need to supply your own stuff - I always take a carry size portion of detergent with me so I was fine. Otherwise, there's an OXXO across the street that you could buy detergent from. I did my laundry on Thursday evening and the place had one other guest in there. Hours are from 7am-9pm but the staff let me finish the drying cycle - it was almost 10 by the time I was done. There is a spa on site. Prices are resort prices. They have a gym and I saw there was a sign that they charge you for using it unless you're a member. Lucky for me, I don't believe in working out while on vacation.
The Ridge was very nice. I would recommend you try to book here if you get a chance. Great view of the marina, awesome helpful staff. It was a great vacation!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank crzydvl
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear crzydvl

On behalf of all our staff, i woould like to thank you for your kind and beautiful comments about your recent stay with us. I know that you are still enjoying the nice weather in Cabo, but i am also delighted to read that you enjoy all our facilities and services. From the one bedroom you got, the location, the quick check in process, the effective concierge service, pools

Thank you for your recommendatios and remarks about our resort.

We will love to welcome you back in the next future to keep enjoying paradise

Reviewed June 28, 2013

For years my husband and I traveled to Mexico for vacation once per year (multiple times to Ixtapa, Riveria Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Cancun). In 2007, we tried Cabo and stayed at a property in "The Corridor" but toured the Playa Grande and Ridge Villas. We have refused to go anywhere else since 2007. We love it so much, we now go twice a year.

We absolutely LOVE The Ridge! The location is superb as it is walking distance to the Marina, downtown and to Church. A couple of years ago, they began offering an all inclusive "Premium Meal Plan" that includes top shelf drinks as well. With this plan, you are welcomed to partake in the buffets or theme nights or order off the menus in the restaurants. The rooms are well appointed and spacious. The view from the Ridge is hands down one of THE BEST in Cabo! From the infinity pool, you have a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean on one side and the beautifully active town and marina on the other.

All of the above are great amenities and for some, are the deal breakers when booking their getaways. From year after year experience of returning to The Ridge, I share with you that their real differentiator is the staff. We are truly treated with compassion, with great service and a willingness to bend over backwards to meet your needs. The staff at the Ridge and Playa Grande have become family to us.

For those booking your travel, here are a few names of staff members you will encounter that will treat you like royalty: Oscar, Arnoldo, Raciel, Violeta, Teo, Armando, Favio, Fabien, Inez, Ana, and last not absolutely not least, Miguel. These are some of the hardest working people I have ever met and it is evident that they love their jobs. Their "it is my pleasure to serve you" actions are genuinely apparent. Even with my "special healthy requests" when preparing my meals, always with a smile and quick service. The presentation of the meals is also exquisite and the taste is very pleasing to the palate.

There are so many choices of great places to stay anywhere you go, but being treated well is also a very important part of the experience.

I definitely recommend The Ridge Villas in Cabo. The location, the amenities, the view, and definitely the staff, all make it a place we are delighted to refer to as "home".

We cannot wait for our next trip!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1sunl0ver

Dear 1sunl0ver

I am really satisfied with your description about your most recent stay with us. Twice a year we have the privilege to welcome you back. And i reallyfall in love with your comments about your experience. Is is truth that our locations is superb, and the views; i invite you to check one of the most famous hollywood movies lately and you will see it. they can not choose better!

I will definetly share your comments with Oscar, Arnoldo, Armando, Flavio, Raciel, , Violeta, Teo, Armando, Fabien, Inez, Ana, Miguel and our Maitre D Violeta along with our chefs that scores a perfect 10 with their dishes. They really love what they do, always with a smile. It is amazing. They are genuinely happy to come here every day and provide the best service possible.

Thank you again for letting us being your ambassadors. And we will love to see you next year to say: Welcome home!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

i really had a good time i just wish the wifi in the room was better!! Fernando was my favorite guy in mexico he was sweet and treated everyone like family!! he called my and my friend Aimee Princess i would personally go back to mexico just to see fernando again!!!

Room Tip: choose a room with a great view!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Breanna

On behalf of all the staff from our hotel, i want to thank you for such a nice comment. Yesterday we bring our dear Fernando to our weekly meeting and in front of everybody we read your comment. He was beyond happy. He really takes care of all their guest, and always in a respectful way. I am glad you notice this.

We would love to welcome you back to our resort.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Excellent facilities, wonderful staff. The view from the Ridge is amazing, the Cabo Marina on one side, the Pacific Ocean on the other. Within walking distance to great restaurants in the older part of Cabo and around the marina. Best part is the relative seclusion on the Ridge. You feel like you are in your own private resort with the warm Cabo sun and cool Pacific breeze what more could anyone ask for?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear jtf56;

On behalf of our resort staff member, i want to thakn you for your amazing review about our resort. I am beyond satisfied that you ge t the opportunity to enjoy our facilities, pools and restaurants.
It is always great to hear from our guest how good their experience was. It is turth that we have the best of both worlds, the marina on one side, the pacific ocean on the other. Our infinity pool really provides the best relaxing views.

We thank you again for your beautiful comments and hope to welcome you back to our resort once more.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I did a lot of research on this resort before exchanging through RCI, now my only negative thing about this review is that RCI members can only stay once every four years, believe you me I will find a way to stay here again before that. This will be a lengthy review but I want to be thorough.

First of all I would like to give a shout out to Victors Cabo Shuttle service, very professional company, very polite and knowledgeable drivers, had cold beers waiting for us and was willing to stop for 30 minutes to shop for groceries. We were very concerned that they would even be there after all of the flight and airline changes we had trying to get there, Victor monitored the flight info all day and Mingo (Domingo) was promptly there 10 hours after our original arrival time, very nice job.

When you step into the lobby you are greeted with a "welcome home, we've been waiting for you" Check in was a breeze, Noe was very helpful getting us our room, and had us on our way in no time. Ten minute meeting with Jenifer to go over the resort layout and offer us the presentation and we were on our way. We declined the presentation and in no way felt pressured into it again. I don't think you can go wrong with any room at Playa Grande, but after a lot of research we asked to be on the Ridge because it was a little more laid back and a closer exit to the street for heading downtown. I made one request when I made my reservation and was given a beautiful room over looking the marina. From what I understand if there is availability on the Ridge they will gladly accommodate you. Ocean side would of been wonderful to falling asleep to the crashing waves each night. We got in late so didn't do the all inclusive upon arrival but waited until the next morning. There were no food options open other then room service, which we did the special a bucket of 6 beers on ice and a large pizza for $32, very reasonable.

For the all inclusive its a no brainer, it more then paid for itself for my wife and I, $78 per person. If you like to have breakfast, drinks by the pool and then a nice lunch its paid for before you even think about dinner. plus it includes theme dinners, fiesta night, beach party night and dinner at their own restaurant Peurto San Lucas, which was amazing, I had the catch of the day Red Snapper, service was very good here, had a nice romantic dinner, very, very close walking distance, or they'll shuttle you over to. We ate some of the best shrimp, lobster and steak all week and some top shelf cocktails as well.

Rooms were cleaned to the highest of standards each day promptly, wish I would of gotten their names so I could give them credit, the towel sculptures each day were fun to come back to. We were served by Juan and Miguel all week at the Ridge pool, along with Marco the waiter, very hard workers and drinks never went dry, they would even run and get you dry towels once they saw you heading that way. We were served by Victor and Alexandria at the Calima restaurant throughout the week for lunch and dinners very professional, friendly individuals, a nice place to get out of the sun for an hour during the day.

Breakfast was my wife's favorite meal of the day down at Brigatines, the French toast is like no other, our waiter Ramon greeted us each morning with a smile, coffee and mimosas. He works all day, goes to school at night and still smiles ear to ear when you see him all on three hours sleep.

We ended each night in the lobby bar sipping on martinis or Don Julio, all inclusive remember haha. Jorge the manager would check on you often to see if he could be of assistance or to make sure you were enjoying yourself. Martin and I think it was Hector made the best sangrita to go along with the tequila, very pleasant workers and a perfect way to end an evening in Cabo.

If you are having trouble deciding where to stay, look no further, book it here now, we'll be back for sure, made a lot of new friends from members of week 22, hoping to see them again someday. Perfect location, close to everything, beautiful grounds, clean rooms, very comfortable beds absolutely couldn't find a negative thing to say about this resort.

Cannot believe I almost forgot to mention the entertainment staff, this group goes above and beyond on trying to make your stay very entertaining and you can tell they truly do love going to work each day, my wife and I laughed so hard at the fiesta show our side ached.

Feel free to email me with any questions, I am no expert, this was my first trip to Cabo but will give you honest opinions of our travels.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dexter5
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Dexter

I have the opportunity to read your complete experience to our staff in our last week meeting, and all we can say is: Thank you, for your passion, your words, and the way you express about our services, staff, restaurants, and general areas. It is very important for us that since the very beginning the experience of our guest starts smoothly. Fron the transportation, the check in, the rooms atmosphere. I am glad you enjoy our all inclusive package like many others, it is a nice option for people to enjoy our restaurants and theme nights. All our chefs are also satisfied about your comments (mentions about the lobster or shirimp).Along with our housekeeping department, waiter from the pool like Juan, Marco, Miguel, Noe at the front desk, Victor and Alejandra in the other restaurant, all pof them friendly individuals and professionals.

I also thank you for your high remarks about the service you got at our lobby bar with Jorge our manager assisting you, along with Martin and Hector who prepares great drinks for you, and at our ocean front restaurant where you enjoyed our breakfast and service from Ramon. And of course, our entertainment staff, the best in Cabo, in the views of many guest.

Thank you again for your recommendation, we will be more than happy to welcome you back to our resort with all your family.