“14 Years and Still Enoying It”

The Ridge at Playa Grande
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Rancho Mirage, Ca
“14 Years and Still Enoying It”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We have been staying at Playa Grande and The Ridge for 14 years now (last six years at the Ridge, the first years on the ground floor on the beach at Playa Grande). We have looked forward to our stay every year. The staff here is the biggest asset. They are the greatest. Our room at the Ridge is excellent and well maintained. We have a great view of the marina. From the three pools, you have views of the marina, the bay and the Pacific. I walk for excercise every morning around the marina and into town. We walk for the hotel most nights to the good restaurants in town.

Room Tip: If your at The Ridge, take buildings A & D, not B or C
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ieduffy1
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear Guests from Rancho Mirage, Ca:

We thank you very much for your lovely comment “14 Years and Still Enoying It”.
Come back anytime to visit us with all your friends and family, we will be very pleased to serve you again and fulfill your expectations!
We are glad that your experience with us was a very pleasant one and we hope that we can be of service to you again soon.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff.
Wishing you a world of happiness we all send you our best regards.
Sincerely yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Be aware there is no way this place deserves the title"luxury villas". We booked into a master suite, to which the staff attempt to sell upgrades. The first room we checked in to was supposed to have a marina view. Although it did,they forgot to say it was above a restaurant and exposed to the noise from large exhaust fans. Besides this, the room smelt incredibly musty. We immediately returned to reception and expressed our concerns.
We were shown another room in Playa Grande(all part of the same complex) and were checked in. It was not until we checked in that we discovered this room was worse than the first one. Where do I start. Two power points did not work, the air conditioner was excessively noisy with the addition of a loud rattle, the room smelt musty, the were dirty stains on the duvet cover, which were still there the next day after service, the hot water took minutes to come through, the refrigerator was even noisier than the air conditioner,the televisions are old tube models and wifi is not available in the rooms at all even if you pay. In fact the wifi around the pool was virtually useless unless you sat close to the antenna location.
We contacted the duty manager who was next to useless but he did move us to another room, but said they were all of the same (low standard). He did check out our previous room and acknowledged all the faults and said this was unusual( I don't think so).
The next room was the same standard and still smelt musty. The duty manager promised a dehumidifier which never arrived. We the discovered if you flushed either toilet the water kept on running. The light above the sink also did not work and was poorly installed.
During this time my wife misplaced our free welcome drink vouchers. We returned to our resort hostess who had promised to anything to help during our stay. Maybe because we didn't want to attend the free breakfast or lunch, which is a disguised sales push,she didn't want to know us. Go figure!
We were also annoyed by the constant pitch to upgrade to all inclusive food and beverage package for $79 per person per day.
The current room rate is about $260 plus taxes. There is no way that rooms at this resort are worth anywhere near this price. There are far better options in Cabo for this price.
Do not be fooled the accomodation at this resort can definitely not be described as luxury in any form.
Do not stay here and if you have a pre booking do your homework and find some where else to stay. Believe me you will not regret it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same. They are desperately in need of an upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 00BCK
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Guest from Noosaville, Australia:

The comments you have made describing the experience you have encountered during your stay at The Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande Resort and Grand Spa, came to my attention. Please accept my apologies.

In order to maintain the high standards of service and excellence for which we strive, we need to know when problems occur so the appropriate action can be taken.

Concerning your comments with your room location and smell I held a meeting with Front Desk and Housekeeping involved in this situation and measures have been taken to avoid this situation happen again in the future.

We value your patronage and hope that you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate that your past experience with Playa Grande is not characteristic of our performance, but an unpleasant exception.

As an attempt to regain your trust, we would like to ask you to please visit us again in the near future and allow us the opportunity to pamper you as intended.

Everson, Washington
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We were originally booked to stay a week at the Sol Mar Beach Resort. Upon our arrival, we were informed that we would be upgraded to the Playa Grande Resort. Later we realized that the Sol Mar property was being upgraded, and this was necessary to insure our good stay. That property looked very nice also, and we would have been happy to enjoy our first visit to Los Cabos there had it been ready.

After checking in to Playa Grande, we were told we would have to move to the Ridge since our stay was from Saturday to the next Saturday. This apparently has something to do with the timeshare arrangements. The room at the Playa Grande was lovely, and had a beautiful view of the ocean.

Our move to the Ridge was even more wonderful. The room had two full bathrooms, full kitchen, dining area, private master bedroom and lovely balcony overlooking the marina. I personally didn't like the marina view, and noise from the marina at night, but the sliding door and drapes from the master bedroom kept it decently quiet. Our two kids (young adults) 20 and 24 didn't find this at all a problem.

The rooms were immaculate, and maid service kept them that way every day. The staff was wonderful: helpful and courteous. The grounds were well-kept. The pools were fantastic and hot tubs perfect.

We did not book all-inclusive, and found reasonable and delicious restaurants nearby. We even took a trip to Costco on the local bus to get some groceries.

We were asked to attend two "free breakfasts". One was for the Grand Sol Mar, the other for a sister property, Villa Del Palmar. Both were fine breakfasts, but the presentation was too long and tiresome. At least we got some nice gifts: Wave runner package, massage, snorkeling package, water taxi to Land's End, and trip to San Jose. They were all worth the trouble and very memorable.

We were nearly conned in to another presentation through a mistake we made at Walmart. The "help" desk was really a timeshare recruitment point. There are many of these in town and the marina. They masquerade as "tourist information". The guy was very persuasive, and even paid for our groceries from Costco and Walmart, and the taxi back to Playa Grande. We left a $20 deposit and committed to meet his driver the next morning. On our way out the security gate, staff from Playa Grande stopped up and asked where we were going. When we told them, they warned us that we would be taken far away, stuck to hear a long presentation, and waste our vacation time. We lost our $20, but heard a quicker presentation at the Villa Del Palmar, and got to enjoy their very nice beach.

I can highly recommend this resort to family and friends for business, family, or couples trips. The accommodations were beyond our expectations, and the staff went out of their way to make every aspect of this trip great. We plan to return to Cabo and the Ridge at our next opportunity!

Room Tip: Ask if you will face the beach or the marina.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NWwatraveller
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear Guests from Everson, Washington:

Thank you for choosing The Ridge at Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

We are glad that your experience during your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you had a great time!

For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied costumer.

Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.

Hoping to see you again soon we all send you our best regards from Playa Grande and Sunny Cabo San Lucas.

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Everything about this resort exceeded expectations, the beautiful grounds, awesome room (3223), great drinks and food, excellent staff, fun theme nights, and gorgeous local, I loved it! I recommended Playa Grande to my best friends for their honeymoon, and they thanked me for it over and over! I'm going back next March and will be bringing another couple with us this time to show them how awesome this resort really is, I'm just sad that I have to wait a whole year to get back to paradise!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank NorthVanJen
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Dear Guests from Rainier, Oregon:

We are glad that your experience during your stay with us was a great experience and we thank you for your nice comment "Can't wait to get back!”

For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you and whenever you want to come back please let us know!

London
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed at the Ridge (part of Playa Grande) last May and and had a fabulous time! Our room was very large with a big master bedroom, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining area and a large balcony. The infinity pool and the separate pool overlooking the marina with a swim up bar were both fantastic. The location of the hotel is great as it's close to all the bars, restaurants and the marina. I'm glad we didn't book all - inclusive as we found lots of great, cheap places to eat & drink. For $3 each you can take a water taxi to the public beach. If your wallet will stretch it's definitely worth staying at the Ridge and not the other side of the hotel. Overall, I LOVED this hotel and would go back tomorrow if I could.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Londongirl_8
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Guests from London:

On behalf of The Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande, we thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

As a valued guest, your opinions are of great importance and we alsom thank you foryour great comments “AMAZING!!! Loved it!”

We would be honored to have your visit once again, and allow us to provide you an even better experience at The Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande.

If you have any questions or any further comments, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely yours.
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We chose the Ridge Luxury Villas because of it's proximity to town, it's private beach and nice pools. The rooms have two full bathrooms, a full kitchen, a separate master bedroom and a full sized and twin size pull out beds located in the living room. I thought the bed was too soft but my husband thought it was fine.
The Ridge Luxury Villas has it's own pools and restaurant and conciere service. We enjoyed the pools at both the Ridge and Playa Grande. My two kids really enjoyed the water slide at the Ridge and they also had a blast swimming in the two kid pools in Playa Grande. There are two pools for adults only in the Ridge and another in Playa Grande. The water was warm in all the pools. The hot tubs were not too hot but they felt good anyways.
We ate at all the Ridge and Playa Grande restaurants. The food was great at all their locations. We got the $120 beverage credit and used every bit of it. We also used our $40 Spa credit. The massage therapist was AWSOME. I would definetly return to this hotel. This was our first time in Cabo and I was happy that we were asked to attend a "free breakfast" when we arrived, we declined and we were NEVER bothered about it again! Loved being able to walk to town in less than 5 minutes and also being able to walk and shop the Marina shops as they were just steps away. Lastly, we attended one of the nightly events. We went to the "Beach Party". I would say that this meal was my least favorite, BUT, the activities director was a riot! He played games and made us laugh like crazy. They also gave free horseback rides along the beach as part of the beach party and of coarse the unlimited alchohol was nice too. The kids (ages 11 and 8) had a great time. Let's just say if someone can make my 11 year old put down his 3DS they are doing a great job, and that's what the Playa activities director did! Our stay was not a timeshare trade we simply booked it, just like you would any hotel. Loved the extra attention that we got staying at the Ridge.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FourEyes4u
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, January 21, 2012
Dear Guests:
We thank you very much for your lovely comment “Just steps away from the Marina” and for choosing The Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent with your family.
Come back anytime to visit us, we will be very pleased to serve you again and fulfill your expectations!!
Hoping to see you soon again we send you our best regards from sunny Cabo San Lucas!

Central Coast California
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Lies, dishonored booking, AND MORE LIES…AVOID THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU LIKE ROLLING THE DICE AND BEING TRANSFERRED NEXT DOOR TO AN OLDER PROPERTY that is not related AND HAVING YOUR HOLIDAY RUINED.

- Several other guests were “bumped” to a neighboring hotel of lesser quality.
- The front desk lies repeatedly to your face.
- Despite what the hotel manger response below will be, there is no quality or customer service. He just pastes the same apology on all complaints as I have noticed.
- They will take a deposit on your booking of which I have not received back yet.
- The food is LOUSY and VERY EXPENSIVE…also made me sick.

Arrived 28-DEC for three night stay. Was told room not ready and to wait at pool or restaurant. I had a shrimp burrito that was disgusting and tasted like a microwave burrito, and had soup and three rum and cokes to a grand total of $70 USD!!! Total rip off. The food was so bad in fact that I almost threw up (No, I am not being animated. The food really was of low quality and made me feel sea sick.) After several hours waiting in a large filthy lobby with dirty bar glasses on the tables, they took me to a room but it was not the Ridge Luxury Suites I reserved but rather a room in the Playa Grande. The room was still filthy from previous occupants with maids cleaning it. I returned to the front desk and was insulted by the manager Juan Carlos Milan who said I will have "no hope of ever staying at the Ridge during my vacation." I was subsequently bumped from my reservation to a different hotel of lesser quality next door, no Internet in the rooms, no suite offered, very basic property. I also witnessed several people being bumped from their reservations at the Ridge and also the Playa Grande and taken to the hotel next door. One woman was crying, and one man I briefly spoke with was so distressed by being bumped he was red in the face. My vacation I get once a year was RUINED!!! I initially left the hotel and the staff placed me in a taxi to go to a travel agency but the taxi took me to a vacant lot with closed businesses and then tried to get money from me. I was stranded with all my cash and bags and was forced to walk through populated neighborhoods in the center of town back to civilization for another taxi ride back to the hotel. Thank you so much Solmar Hotels for the worst vacation of my life and the worst customer service I have ever seen for someone who booked a room at a supposedly 5-star luxury suite hotel. I REFUSE TO RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE, NOT EVEN MY WORST ENEMIES WHO HAPPEN TO BE THE SOLMAR HOTEL CHAIN, THE PLAYA GRANDE STAFF AND THE RIDGE LUXURY VILLA STAFF. You are liars and thieves who robbed me of what was sold as a luxury vacation. Your hotel was filthy, the food horrible, and to make things worse you lied and lied and then took me to a sub-standard hotel and never checked on me, but not before taking me to one of your own rooms in the Playa Grande that was still dirty from previous guests. I spent a total of 4-hours dealing with you on the first day of my vacation, and 4-hours on my last morning after getting a phone message you were placing “something nice” under my door at the hotel I was staying at next door with a VIEW of the Ridge!!!. Your "something nice" never arrived and wasted more of my time. It just never ended your insults and right when I started to forget about you, you would come back into my life with more lies. I will never get that time back and wish nothing but bankruptcy for your hotel!!! You are a disgrace to the hotel industry and all the other hotels in Cabo who work hard to please their guests…and let’s not forget I was not just any guest but someone who booked a room in your best property for a suite with endless luxuries…yeah right. The couple thousand dollars in cash I planned on spending at your crummy hotel is still in my pocket and you missed out. I was treated like a dog and left to fend for myself. MY RECOMMENDATION: DO NOT STAY HERE, DON’T BOOK A ROOM UNLESS YOU WANT DISAPPOINTMENT AND LIES. I was not the only who they treated this way.

I hope my review helps you in your decision. Don’t risk it here…look elsewhere for luxury and better treatment. Scan through the reviews on the Playa Grande Resort in Cabo and you will see my review is honest and supports what other guests experienced. ..and just think of all the others who didn’t write their story here. Feel welcome to contact me and I will recommend other hotels I have stayed that are really nice and treat you with respect.

Room Tip: The hotel appears to overbook and has no probllem confirming with you on the phone before you arrive...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
15 Thank California_Wine
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guests from Central Coast California:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced with respect to an unforeseen overbooking at The Ridge Luxury Villas at Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa.
At Solmar Hotels and Resorts, we take pride in ensuring our guests’ complete satisfaction and are already working on solutions that will prevent similar problems from occurring in the future.
To further demonstrate our deep appreciation for your continued support as well as our commitment to the highest level of service, we are providing you with a complimentary 3-night stay for two people in a Junior Suite valid until December 31st, 2012 and subject to availability with prior reservation.
Once you have chosen the dates of your trip, please contact our reservations offices to confirm your reservation with Eugenia Montes at eugenia.montes@solmar.com
If you have any questions or comments regarding this matter and to book your complimentary stay, please feel free to contact me directly.
Yours in service,