“Ready to go back”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed December 24, 2010

This was a typical upscale Mexican timeshare resort. Staff and personnel were attentive and courteous. When you order drinks remind them to put adequate liquor in. Prices in mini-mart are high, but that is to be expected. The beach is not swimmable due to the riptide, the pools are very nice. We told them at the hotel that we weren't interested in the timeshare presentation, and they left us alone and didn't bother us. There is a charge for internet access--annoyance. Another annoyance is that Cabo and the airport are loaded with timeshare salespeople. All in all, a great trip!

1  Thank weiss800

Reviewed December 16, 2010

This place is beautiful. We went down on a girls trip and loved every minute of it. Cant wait to go back next year. The staff was amazing and very helpful and fun, especially the activities staff. They put every effort to be involved with all guests. The rooms were elagant and beautiful. The beach is amazing and town is very close to walk to or take a taxi. LOVE LOVE LOVE This place!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robyn9925
Reviewed December 15, 2010

If you don't mind loud music 'til 3a.m. Housekeeping personnel just coming into your room whenever and rude, nasty, pushy lobby personnel that don't accept 'no' to presentation offers, then this might be the place for you.
Don't get me wrong, upon arrival the hotel smells and looks beautiful. After we checked in, a woman was initially very nice and wanted to us to commit to a 'free breakfast' the next morning. We were so tired and told her 'no thanks'. We asked for a Mexican restaurant she could recommend. All she would recommend was their own Italian restaurant on their grounds. The following morning when we walked out of the hotel the same woman asked if we were 'meeting someone at the end of the hill' and she could give us our money back if we wanted to. She said all of this as she followed us outside the lobby. This was so weird. We're on vacation and this behavior bordered on harassment. On Friday night, there was a band playing from somewhere in the Marina (which is where our room faced) until 3 a.m. and when I asked about it the next morning nobody in the hotel seemed to care. We stayed a week and it really seemed long to us, I think because of the way we were 'hounded' by their personnel. We had breakfast at their poolside restaurant and they seemed to forget about us since they forgot to bring the juice we ordered, twice.
On the day we left, we again were approached by the same lady and she asked us if it was our last day, we said 'yes'. She said again, 'why don't you come and listen to the presentation' we said again 'no'. Since it was obvious she was pregnant, I asked her when she was due she said February. I told her I wished her and her baby well at which point she slightly grunted and turned around. Wow. How sad and unprofessional.
We also spoke to other guests there and said that they also were treated less than cordial because they refused to attend their presentation.
What this hotel does not understand is that you cannot have people like this working at your hotels. Too much more of this craziness will undoubtedly hurt their business. They lost my business and any potential referrals from me.

1  Thank 101,591
Reviewed December 13, 2010

This is our 3 trip to Cabo - 2nd time staying at Playa Grande. We booked Playa through our timeshare we have through Raintree/RCI. We have a studio and upon arrival we asked if there were any upgrades and were told there weren't any. We were shown our room in the "exclusive" new part of the hotel overlooking the Marina and were told we'd love our room because it was in the newer part of the hotel. I wasn't keen on being on the Marina side but obliged. Well, we found out our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the bus transportation roundabout in front of the Marina! There was no way on earth I was going to stay in this room and if I did, I would have checked out. I marched back down to reception to complain and surprisingly all of a sudden an upgrade was available. We were upgraded to a suite in the center building with an ocean view. Very very nice.

This hotel has one of the nicest views I think of any hotel we've stayed in - and if you can get a room in the original buildings all have great views of the ocean. It truly is one of our favorite hotels (we like it better than the Westin where our Timeshare actually is because it's in town) If you've never been to Cabo before - BEWARE when you get off the plane because you will be BOMBARDED by locals selling timeshares. We've learnt to walk straight past them and take a cab from the airport to Cabo. However - I think we were taken (excuse the pun) - for a ride -because our cab ride to the hotel was $80. We told the locals we weren't going to pay $80 because we thought we paid $50-$60 a few years ago but every local we spoke with said that was the price. However, the cab ride on the way back to the airport from the hotel was $68. Go figure.

Upon check-in we were told to go to the hotel concierge for our 2 free drink tickets. Well - this is, in effect, part of the Cabo timeshare spiel and irritates me to the Nth degree! What's so frustrating in Cabo, and even at this hotel, is that even though you've made a reservation through your timeshare, they are still trying to sell you another!! Once the agent gives you your free drink tickets she launches into her spiel about what activities you are interested in. (ie. if you play golf you can get a good price at Palmilla if you attend a presentation) Why can't we just go to the hotel and not be bombarded with all the sales pitches??

Other than that, I have no complaints about the hotel. It is clean, clean, clean, we had a suite with a very comfortable King bed. The food and drinks are great by the pool, service was excellent and the location is good if you don't mind a 10 minute walk into town at night to different restaurants. We never ate dinner at the hotel this time, only lunch.

Some restaurants we loved in Cabo: Alexander's (on the Marina) - excellent caesar salad and fish; Maria Corona - off the main street, great food and quaint atmosphere; Desperados - off the main street, awesome fajitas and of course our favorite each time we come to Cabo we go to Peacocks. Very quaint atmosphere. We also ate at Romeo and Julieta and thought it was very good. We've eaten at many different restaurants around the world and for the quality of food you get in Cabo and the price, you really can't go wrong. There are many restaurants so there's alot of competition in addition to the abundance of fresh seafood available.

If you're into golfing try to find someone by the pool to split a cab ride to the different courses. My husband golfed the Country Club, Los Cabos and Palmilla.

I love this hotel but I'm done with Cabo for awhile. It's impossible to walk down the street (let alone - in your own hotel) and not be haggled by someone trying to sell you something.

3  Thank suribrat
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Ok I will try and be as fair as possible with my review. I read a lot of reviews of this place for a variety of reason. We got convinced to do a trail program for $1,550 for a 1 week stay and was able to pay for it with two credit card payments of $750 each seemed like a good deal at the time. I later found out that I would of book a better room through Expedia for $300 less for the same time period, when I mentioned that I was told the week we ended up picking was one of the slowest weeks of the year which is why we found it cheaper online...what ever. Ok the room we had a a perfect view of the Calima Restaurant and Bar not that great there was a guy in the room next to ours that smoked weed the whole time we were there and no one said a word. The walls in the place must be paper thin we/myself heard the people upstairs moving furniture and showering at 4:15 AM in the morning and our neighbors next door talking out on their balcony at 6:30 in the morning it is vacation for christ sake shut up already. The grill night food at the Calima was great but a bit pricey as was all the food on the resort as well as the drinks.

People talked about the pool towel card we simply told them at check-in we did not want the cards and that was that...we went to the time share presentation after saying no to 5 different people they got the message and we were not bother again. would I recommend this place; if you are looking for a time share experience, I would say go for it be aware of what you are buying do your research in advance you will not get an opportunity to do it later. We chose not to for our own reasons would we stay there again probably not we usually stay at the Finesterra and that is where we will go back to. We always had an ocean view suite and the place was way more quieter and I enjoyed just hanging around the pool bar while my wife swam not an option at Playa Grande since you have to swim up to the pool bar. So overall a good vaction with a few minor inconveniences...hope this helps someone.

3  Thank dwross28
Reviewed December 10, 2010

The most disappointing part of the trip was dealing with the staff at check in. We were promised an ocean view room and when we got there they told us it was not available. They placed us in the furthest room(new building) with a terrible view. The staff's attidude is basically there way or no way, I found it is impossible to reason with them. Once we accepted that we couldn't do anyting about the situation, the hotel is not bad, but definelty not a four star rating, more like a three star. I will not trust this hotel again, beware, when you call they say yes to everything, but when you get there it's a con game.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank travelinharry
Reviewed December 8, 2010

From bell boy to maid service and anything in between are super excellent. At first, I was hestitate about the reviews about timeshare rep bugging us and wasting our time but to tell the truth, it was painless and nothing to worry. Clean & pretty room. Our room located in building M on 4th floor has excellent pool/garden view but the palm trees blocked our partial ocean view. Our room comes with a full big bath and full kitchen. Walmart about 30 minutes walk. If desired to take the bus to wamart, then you need to board "centro" bus and then get out to get on "walmart" bus. All of the places the bus will go wrote on the glass of the bus. Ask the driver to tell you when you need to get off to transfer to another bus to Wal-mart. Marina is down the hill and has excellent restaurant and happy hour everywhere. So traveller on budget should look for happy hour sign for liquor & food special. Also, if you want to book for activities, the hotel concierge prices are not too bad. You get the service and don't have to worry about bargaining the prices. Overall, very super pretty 5 star resort.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business