“Loved Playa Grande”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We returned from Playa Grande a week ago and we had a wonderful time. We are not "big resort" people, but did an RCI Exchange and don't regret it for a minute. We had a 1 bedroom/2bathroom unit with a huge balcony with lovely views of the pools and ocean; we couldn't have asked for more. We loved the location - 5 minute walk to the marina and another 5 minutes into town - perfect.

The resort itself is huge, but all the staff are really friendly and
helpful. There was no pressure to attend a timeshare presentation - although I would have loved to have seen the units in The Ridge, which is spectacular. The pools were all great, but we only used the one nearest the beach (ie: furthest from the music). We knew beforehand that you couldn't swim in the ocean - no big deal - just the roar of the surf was good enough. We also took advantage of the 2 palapas on the beach - it was lovely and breezy and quiet and we just walked back to the pool if
we wanted to swim.

Our extras came to only $25; but that's probably because we're not big drinkers and only did 2 happy hours and never ate at the resort. We found Cabo really cheap - probably because we didn't eat at all the Tourist Trap restaurants - ate at lots of places where the locals hang out - Palazio Del Taco, Zapatas, Gordo LeLe's, Mariscos Mazatlan, El Pescador, El Pollo del Oro - our most expensive dinner was $35 for 2!!! No evening was complete without a stop at the churros stand on Morelos! We also bought food at one of the small supermarkets and ate our breakfasts and lunches in the condo. We found [--] to be an invaluable source of info.

I was prepared for Cabo to be a big, noisy place; but was pleasantly surprised. There was something for everyone; from the fancy restaurants at the marina, the Puerto Paraiso Mall (more like Las Vegas than Mexico), the night clubs, to the little
cafes and wonderful finds in side streets just a couple of feet away from the main drag. I have to confess, I wouldn't want to be there in the High Season.

We rented a car for one day and drove to Todos Santos, which was heavenly and we spent our last two days in the Tropicana Inn in San Jose Del Cabo.

We had an incredible time and can only say good things about the town and the resort.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Rosita
Write a ReviewReviews (3,931)

Reviewed May 21, 2007

I do want to say that the resort itself is pretty sweet. The rooms, pools, and overall quality is great. The problems I have is the beach. The sand is rough and you can't swim in the water because of the riptides. You can't even get close to it. The place is very expensive... drinks, meals, etc. I think we had a $700 food and drink bill when we left. Who wants to pay that much money when I can't go in the water? Cabo itself is a desert toilet and even in town things are really expensive. Do yourself a favor.. go to Hawaii, Cancun or some place in the Carribbean. The water in Cabo is brown anyway!

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank coloradokevin
Reviewed May 3, 2007

Just got back from a week at Playa Grande. I can't say enough about this place. Great staff, clean resort and great location. I had mulitple guest staying with me in my room, which arrived at various times and Playa Grande was very helpfull. I would recommend this resort to everybody.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Josefuego
Reviewed April 30, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week in a 1 bedroom suite--wonderful. Spacious and clean, great pools (although not the best swimming beach) and good happy hours by the pool. We also loved that you could easily walk to town--some of the other luxury resorts are miles and miles out (means it'll cost you $15 every time you want to go to downtown Cabo). Highly recommend it. No complaints.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 25redlynn
Reviewed April 18, 2007

We stayed her with our 5-year-old daughter, and a had a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable vacation.

The pools are beautiful, and each pool is a different temperature so you can pick the one that suits your personal temperature preference. The daily activities by the pool were great. Water polo, volleyball, a fashion show, bingo, pottery painting and lots more. It really made hanging out by the pool everyday very fun. The service by the pool is also great. Wait staff are quick to bring drinks and food as often as you want. The food served at the pool is very good and inexpensive. The drinks were a bit expensive, but the luxury of having them delivered to you as you lounge in the sun is well worth it.

We didn't really care for the restaurants on-site. We tried the breakfast buffet and found it to be overpriced and not all that great. Our favorite restaurant, Romeo & Julieta, is right up the road (and owned by the same group as Playa Grande so you get a discount). The food at Romeo & Julieta is top-notch Italian. Make sure to order the Ceasar salad and they will prepare it fresh right at your table. My husband enjoys the Mexican coffee after dinner, which is also prepared at your table. It is quite a production with the lights being dimmed and flaming liquid pouring. Beware though, they are very strong. I don't care for the taste myself, but my husband loves them.

The rooms at Playa Grande are gorgeous. Lots of marble and very luxurious. Maids take very good care of you and even do your dishes. It's great having a kitchen for snacks and breakfast items.

The beach is gorgeous and a real treat to walk on. Don't swim though, as the current and waves are very strong. With the awesome pools and the beach to walk on, it really felt like paradise.

We went to the timeshare presentation and when we told them we didn't want to buy, there was no pressure. They gave us discounts and free items to attend, but didn't use any hard sell tactics.

Overall, I would recommend Playa Grande.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank TripHHH
Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed at Playa Grande from Mar 31st -April 7th, 2006. We had a studio unit in building A, 2501. It has a breathtaking view. Upon arrival, we were the only couple checking in at around 2 in the afternoon. We were checked in quickly and without any difficulties. (I have read that some people received their towel cards only after meet with TS people, we received ours at check-in). The bellmen, Jesus, was very helpful in showing us our room and its amenities. He even made reservations for dinner for us.

People do put out their towels early! However, I did see staff, on more than one occasion, remove towels from chairs that were not being utilized or did not have any ones personal belongings with them. We did not have any trouble finding a place at many different times of the day. We enjoyed the drinks by the pool and although the service was pokier at times, (Hello...you are in Mexico, relax, slow down, ENJOY!), we just asked our server for our check or another round of drinks, before we wanted them.

I had a massage, and was a bit disappointed it was given in a small room, unlike last year when it was given in a much larger, more 5 star setting with a rock garden, etc...but did enjoy the massage. A bit pricier then at home at $110.00 for 55 minutes. This normal for this type of resort.

We did a sunset cruise on the Buccaneer, and it was OK. The snorkeling cruise was much more enjoyable and had a great staff. The catamaran was new and staff was great on the LA PRINCESA CATAMARAN .

We had great tacos and nachos and at number of places. We also really enjoyed the food and service at Salvatore's, down the street from La Dolce. Our server name is Jimmy and he also does driving tours during the day. He drove us all the way up the east side through many small towns, to La Paz and then came back on the west coastal side. He was knowledgeable about the entire area and we saw much more of the real Mexico than the large tours, for a great price of $80.00 a person.

The resort is beautiful, staff was friendly and helpful, for the most part. I do have issue with the $3.00 per call to get an outside line to use our prepaid AT&T calling card. Something that the operator did not inform us of auto connected) until the morning of check out, then came on the line a said there is a $3.00 "hotel connection charge". The timeshare staff is typical from our past experience there. And all over this area. JUST SAY NO!

All in all the trip was enjoyable, relaxing and much as we expected. We were in Cabo for the first time last year for a wedding, so we knew what we were headed for.

I do have photos which I post soon!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LROSE1627
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We were referred by a timeshare owner at this resort. I made it very clear at check-in (when they sent me off to a separate desk to get my room & towel keys) that I was not interested in a time share or their "welcome" discounts. My husband said I bordered on being rude - but I was never approached again on this during my stay!

This is an exceptionally well-maintained resort with very comfortable and well appointed rooms - it was just a little too quiet for us. Our friends were staying on the main beach (Medano) and we liked all the action there. We did enjoy watching the waves (water was very rough during our visit), the party boats at night, the passing cruise ships, and the fishing boats in the morning. Our unit was right on the ocean with a wrap-around deck. We also found someone to finally show us how to climb over the rocks to Lovers Beach. The walk to town was also very easy (last time we stayed at Villa del Palmar, which should not be listed as "walkable" to town).

Rooms are very nice, albeit the bed is very hard & the pillows were like cardboard. I called and asked for fluffier pillows the next day and they sent 3 and I slept much better the rest of our stay. The maids keep the room spot-less (wish I had someone to clean like this at my room). We left our "tip" at the end of the week ($50 pesos per day), as we did on a cruise. We used the safe without issue; I told my husband to not leave the key accessible. I didn't like the $1 charged for each phone call (local), but I bet the other resorts did the same. We checked our bill the night before check out to ensure there were no discrepancies (similar to what we do on a cruise).

We avoided the lobby except for check-in and check-out; the resort store was overpriced. There is a small store (vivid blue building) just past the Romeo & Juliet restaurant. You can take the local buses for $5 or $6 pesos each - much more reasonable than the taxis. We were usually the only tourists on board and the hawkers in town were surprised when we asked where to catch the bus home (they prefer one to use taxis). We walked into town and back most nights (through the marina) with no security issues. We cut through the Terrasol resort next door some nights to save time. We had no issues with security - we just told them our room number.

The pool service was good - they took orders ahead of Happy Hour and the drinks were potent. On Tuesdays & Thursday, they have a great deal on the spicy sushi (20 rolls for $11). They had a book stand that you could borrow books from.

We had minimal issues with saving pool chaises (and this was a very busy week - Easter break). One morning we put our towels out and they were moved in less than the one-hour stipulated time, but we were able to locate "replacements" by moving some from other areas.

We ordered pizza one night; while reasonably priced ($20 for 2-8 piece mediums), it wasn't very good. We didn't try the other restaurants as we liked to go into town for dinner. We loved the Crazy Lobster (Lobster for $10 and tequila shots for $0.70), Shrimp House (not Shrimp Factory) for peal and eat shrimp, and El Pescadore for peal and eat shrimp. We found it best to pay in pesos, as they tended to treat dollars the same as pesos. We also found we should have exchanged at the airport as the exchange rate there was better than in Cabo San Lucas.

I would recommend this resort to families with younger children and/or more senior adults. For those with teens, being closer to Medano is definitely advised! And, Cabo is generally an expensive place - most restaurants charege $15 to $20 for a reasonable meal, with some more over-priced than others. Learn to say "no gracious" to the vendors along the marina and on the main beach, and they are fine with such.

We booked our transport through Baja Ground and it was good service. But, we found we could have saved by just getting a taxi back to the airport (posted rate of $540 pesos, or about $49) for up to 4 people.

Hope this review is helpful to some!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family